Saturday 11th & Sunday 12th August 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 11th & Sunday 12th August 2018

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Stuff like this might have more traction if his opponents hadn't cried wolf for so long, often over the most trivial (if not actually non-existent) stuff.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Didn't May have some of her won Brexit thoughts in Snowdonia?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Never had a nose bleed but have got lost occasionally ,inadvertently lopping four miles off once.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

If the latter, the term "useful idiot" rings uncomfortably true.

And I'm afraid that's kind of been my impression of Corbyn and why I have struggled to get behind him as I don't doubt he's a decent and principled man but he seems to struggle to see nuance and the grey areas between what he believes in theoretically and how that translates into a real and imperfect world. I wouldn't accuse him of being naive. It's more subtle than that. It's a lack of ability and quickness of mind to adjust to an ever changing political landscape. John McDonnell seems more adaptive to those changes and may have been a better leader for it, but would never have allowed himself put on a pedestal the way Jeremy Corbyn has so I'm not sure he would have met with the same, intriguing, level of success.

Edited to add this was supposed to be a response to Frog222, but I forgot to quote their comment so now it makes no sense.

Edited further to add original comment:
" Those forriners insist on talking all forrin , how was I to know whose graves they were ? "
Though now I've just made a mess. Still got my holiday head on, I think!
Last edited by Willow904 on Sun 12 Aug, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Have written to the Derbyshire Times re misrepresentation and therefore warped/neglect by omission coverage of social care
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I've thought from the start that Jez's "Achilles Heel" is his at times highly simplistic anti-imperialism.

That explains his missteps over AS (much more than being an actual Jew hater) the tin ear at times shown over NI, his embarrassing gushing over Venezuela and much else.

Even then, it can lead to good on occasion. Its no coincidence that he has been one of the few people consistently calling out the atrocious business in Yemen for what it is.

(oh and far as McDonnell is concerned I don't disagree with Willow generally, but he *did* make some highly inflammatory pro-IRA comments back in the day)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Willow904 wrote:If the latter, the term "useful idiot" rings uncomfortably true.

And I'm afraid that's kind of been my impression of Corbyn and why I have struggled to get behind him as I don't doubt he's a decent and principled man but he seems to struggle to see nuance and the grey areas between what he believes in theoretically and how that translates into a real and imperfect world. I wouldn't accuse him of being naive. It's more subtle than that. It's a lack of ability and quickness of mind to adjust to an ever changing political landscape. John McDonnell seems more adaptive to those changes and may have been a better leader for it, but would never have allowed himself put on a pedestal the way Jeremy Corbyn has so I'm not sure he would have met with the same, intriguing, level of success.

Edited to add this was supposed to be a response to Frog222, but I forgot to quote their comment so now it makes no sense.

Edited further to add original comment:
" Those forriners insist on talking all forrin , how was I to know whose graves they were ? "
Though now I've just made a mess. Still got my holiday head on, I think!

I merely read your comment backwards - thus making it perfectly comprehensible!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

tnemmoc ruoy
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

esra trams!
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I've thought from the start that Jez's "Achilles Heel" is his at times highly simplistic anti-imperialism.

That explains his missteps over AS (much more than being an actual Jew hater) the tin ear at times shown over NI, his embarrassing gushing over Venezuela and much else.

Even then, it can lead to good on occasion. Its no coincidence that he has been one of the few people consistently calling out the atrocious business in Yemen for what it is.

(oh and far as McDonnell is concerned I don't disagree with Willow generally, but he *did* make some highly inflammatory pro-IRA comments back in the day)
Remarks, I think, that would clearly stand in the way of him becoming PM. Which is why it's hard to see Labour winning power in its current form. Which isn't to say it wouldn't happen, just that I'm not feeling it and thus am grumpy and pessimistic when others are optimistic and enthused.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

I still think the Labour leader that the Tories would fear most would be Angela Rayner.

That's not to say I think she would make a good leader. I don't know.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Willow904 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:I've thought from the start that Jez's "Achilles Heel" is his at times highly simplistic anti-imperialism.

Remarks, I think, that would clearly stand in the way of him becoming PM. Which is why it's hard to see Labour winning power in its current form. Which isn't to say it wouldn't happen, just that I'm not feeling it and thus am grumpy and pessimistic when others are optimistic and enthused.
THinking back to the Little Red Book in the HoC, we recently had J McD re-committing himself to the "Overthrow of Capitalism", which was another gift to the Tories.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I still think the Labour leader that the Tories would fear most would be Angela Rayner.
That's not to say I think she would make a good leader. I don't know.
No idea either. I've mostly considered JC as an interim while others grow up ...so who's been keeping track of the Potential Leaders ?
At first glance,only, I thought the ex-Para part of the profile was an election winner, but Dan Jarvis has dropped out of sight. Clive Lewis is not a fluffy peacenik either .

Then you have Starmer, Thornberry ...
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I really like Keir Starmer, but he's not experienced as a politician and he certainly isn't going to be able to take forward the populist type positioning we have under the current leadership. If Ed Miliband couldn't win, would Starmer be any different?

Emily Thornberry is possible, I suppose. I don't like her much myself, so that could be a good sign she could do well :)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Also, the CPS is having a lot of trouble .
Is this recent in the last five years or was it already a mess during Starmer's five year tenure ?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Bannon supports and advises Johnson, and ALSO this horror, Orban below —

Europe stands no chance of tackling extreme populism while Boris Johnson stands by Steve Bannon Bannon, with whom Johnson spent time before composing his concerto for burqa and niqab, is on a mission

“” As for Jews in general, without using the word, but complete with popular antisemitic stereotypes, Orban said this in March: “They do not fight directly, but by stealth. They are not honourable, but unprincipled … They do not believe in work, but speculate with money. They have no homeland, but feel that the whole world is theirs. They are not generous, but vengeful…”””

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/ex ... 88686.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What more do you want ?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

onJohnson has created a moment more decisive than ‘rivers of blood’ Matthew d'Ancona

""" I think – no, I insist – that this is nothing short of deplorable, and that this confrontation poses greater long-term dangers than Powell’s speech in 1968. It is a founding principle of any pluralist society that in our permanent negotiation with one another we strive to be decent and dignified.

But that principle will not defend itself. We have reached a fork in the road where it is under sustained attack from nativists, opportunists and bigots in suits. There are only two paths available. Johnson has chosen. So must we. """

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... s-of-blood" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm heartily sick of the demands for apologies !

Ruth Davidson wanted one (she says).
Dominic Grieve said he'd leave the Party .
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Theresa May is being criticised for criticising Johnson by some and being criticised for being weak in her criticism of him by others within the Tory party.

Pressure for a showdown between opposing Tory wings appears to be mounting, but I'm not sure it's inevitable. The recent criticism of Rees-Mogg has shut him up somewhat. Zac Goldsmith destroyed his career with similar tactics. Has Boris Johnson really got the stomach for it? There's a world of difference between unthinking privileged prejudice and the deliberate stoking of hate for political ends. Johnson was willing to play the buffoon in his attempts to win power but is he prepared to play the villain? Because it's kind of an all-in, win or bust strategy which, if it goes wrong, will leave him out of the running for good.

My impression of May is that she cares about her legacy as a politician and thus can't afford to crash out of the EU with no deal, if she does so it will be through incompetence rather than intent. But Johnson? Not sure. He clearly wants to be PM but does he want the hassle and inevitable failure of being PM through a constitutional and economic crisis? Would he rather not prefer May to orchestrate a soft Brexit landing first so he can take over a half functioning country? I don't know. Ideally he'll be crushed under the callous stupidity of his comments and we'll never need to find out.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

This is depressing.

Hunt and Madan may have gone, but the privatisation juggernaut rolls on
Dr Youssef El-Gingihy
http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/political/h ... yI.twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NHS England openly states, the plan is for 7,500 GP surgeries across England to become 1,500 super-hubs.

The concept of integrated care – dressed up as care in the community – dovetails with a massive programme of hospital trust downgrades, mergers and closures. The Dalton review laid out plans for chains of super hospitals, some of which could be run by the private sector.

The prospect of more lucrative networks of GP surgeries and chains of super hospitals will only serve to entice corporates.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

After my experience with trains in the Northwest this evening trying to get home I have no words to describe the ordeal.

Words such as 'shambles' or 'chaos' don't do it justice.

It's like a fucking third world banana republic west of Manchester.

I intentionally avoided getting a 'Northern' train but because they're so shit they're fucking up all the other services. The Arriva Wales train I tried to catch was delayed by a Northern train that was apparently stuck in a station waiting for staff. In the end I got a lift about 10 miles to another station on a different line and had to explain to the conductor why I was on a train with the wrong ticket. Thankfully he was cool.

This is what happens when you put Chris Grayling in charge of anything.