Wednesday, September 5th 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Wednesday, September 5th 2018

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday, September 5th 2018

Post by PorFavor »

frog222 expressed a wish that this be copied across from last night. So here it is (although I've not executed the task very elegantly).

gilsey wrote:
Antony Lerman is an Honorary Fellow at the Parkes Institute for the Study of Jewish/non-Jewish Relations, Southampton University. He is also a member of the Black-Jewish Forum, a member of the Advisory Committee of the Holocaust Exhibition at the Imperial War Museum and a founding member of the Jewish Forum for Justice and Human Rights and the Independent Jewish Voices steering group.

Rather than proceed with the metaphor of the IHRA text as tantamount to an untouchable holy scripture, I suggest we think about it as if it were a balloon kept aloft not with helium, but rather with the heat of righteous indignation, the constant ratcheting up of fears and accusations, the ever wilder doubling-down on painting Corbyn an antisemite and the increasingly desperate attempts to oust him from the leadership using hatred of Jews as a weapon with which to achieve this.

In any public space where proper discussion and serious engagement can take place, the weighty critique of IHRA being produced by a diverse group of people with expertise, who don’t necessarily agree with each other on all aspects and are not working together in any conspiratorial or pre-planned fashion, would successfully puncture that balloon.

But there is no such space today. Those keeping the balloon in the air use a discourse that has deeply uncomfortable echoes of the post-truth populism, the ‘we don’t trust experts’ narrative, coursing through the political and social veins in so many countries today.

Those applying their knowledge of law, political history, race and ethnic studies, experience in monitoring, studying and analysing contemporary antisemitism and so on, are largely ignored or subject to ad hominem attacks, character assassination and vilification.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/antony ... altogether" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I don't know what I've done (or not done), but the above link won't work. Sorry.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

PorFavor wrote:I don't know what I've done (or not done), but the above link won't work. Sorry.
Fixed it.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politic ... 27706.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

less-than-one-in-five-now-expect-britain-to-secure-good-brexit-deal-damning-survey-finds
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/e ... government" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

new-economic-plan-could-make-labour-natural-party-government
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... te-working" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would say far more how Governments can purposefully facillitate and exacerbate debt in a prove ourselves correct never ending cycle sort of way.Creating the situation that fits the propaganda.The lifestyle choice of voting for misanthropy because you think it will never apply to you until it does
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/e ... government

Thinktank calls for major overhaul of Britain's economy

IPPR commission suggests changes on a par with Labour’s post-war reforms (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ns-economy

Well, it's made it to the online front page.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PorFavor wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/e ... government

Thinktank calls for major overhaul of Britain's economy

IPPR commission suggests changes on a par with Labour’s post-war reforms (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ns-economy

Well, it's made it to the online front page.
Interesting stuff.

I couldn't agree more. Let's have properly governed businesses back, whose duty is to more than the big shareholders. We used to have them pre-Thatcher of course.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Legal Aid: Post-Implementation Review

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2 ... tionReview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Theresa May is expected to make a statement to the Commons after Prime Minister’s Questions today, according to Whitehall and Westminster sources.

Downing Street would not confirm the subject matter, although the secrecy at this stage is likely to suggest a security related matter.

The statement could be an update relating to the Novichok poisoning incidents in Salsibury and Amesbury, although again this could not be confirmed. (Politics Live, Guardian)
A bit of distraction urgently needed?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PorFavor wrote:

Theresa May is expected to make a statement to the Commons after Prime Minister’s Questions today, according to Whitehall and Westminster sources.

Downing Street would not confirm the subject matter, although the secrecy at this stage is likely to suggest a security related matter.

The statement could be an update relating to the Novichok poisoning incidents in Salsibury and Amesbury, although again this could not be confirmed. (Politics Live, Guardian)
A bit of distraction urgently needed?
PMQs Question 1

What is your statement going to be about?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

He will also call for a cross-party approach to preventing a no-deal scenario. “As soon as it becomes clear that the MPs against a no-deal outcome cannot unite around a plan, I would urge all Greater Manchester MPs to support a call on the EU for an extension of article 50 beyond the March deadline as the next way of stopping no deal,” he will say.

“If that fails and we are left on the cliff-edge of no deal with no other options, then and only then would I endorse the call for a people’s vote on the proposed no-deal departure and encourage our MPs to do the same.
Andy Burnham not making much sense here, there can't be another referendum without an extension of the A50 period..

I think we think he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ial-unrest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.ippr.org/research/publicati ... nd-justice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Wren-Lewis on the same subject.
https://mainlymacro.blogspot.com/2018/0 ... r-new.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... o-suspects" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Novichok poisonings: police name two Russian suspects
CPS says there is enough evidence to charge Alexander Petrov and Ruslan Boshirov over Wiltshire poisonings
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I gather the Theresa May Special has been confirmed as being about the novichok thing. A spokesperson for the Criminal Prosecution Service (CPS) has said:
We have, however, obtained a European Arrest Warrant which means that if either man travels to a country where an EAW is valid, they will be arrested and face extradition on these charges for which there is no statute of limitations. (Politics Live, Guardian)
I thought that "Brexit" means (among many other things) no EAWs. (I appreciate that we can still apply for them at the moment - but, even so).
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Anybody thought she might be about to do another April 18th, even if for just a moment?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Anybody thought she might be about to do another April 18th, even if for just a moment?
Fleetingly.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://news.met.police.uk/news/counter- ... ack-320534" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Counter-terrorism police release images of two suspects in connection with Salisbury attack
Lots of information in this report for those previously frustrated by the usual police procedure of limiting information given out during a live investigation.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Just been watching PMQs. I'd kind of forgotten just how awful she is, tbh.

Chatter on social media about a snap election. I really can't see the Tories chancing it, myself, not with current boundaries and with Theresa May in charge, at any rate.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:Just been watching PMQs. I'd kind of forgotten just how awful she is, tbh.

Chatter on social media about a snap election. I really can't see the Tories chancing it, myself, not with current boundaries and with Theresa May in charge, at any rate.
Talking of which, the new boundary proposals are due to be published any day now - though it remains as unclear as ever whether there are actually the votes to pass them.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

A rare daytime sober contribution from me just to demonstrate what people with mental health issues face at the moment.

I was accepted for a course of CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) and put on the waiting list at the beginning of last November, last week I was informed I had reached the point I could begin being seen by a therapist. So a wait of 10 months more or less. Once you've accepted a time, place and therapist you have to stick with that for 12 weeks so I was asked to specify a maximum distance I could travel and whether I'd prefer morning or afternoon. I then received multiple calls all day from different parts of the NHS trust (it's a partnership with various charities) which completely ignored my preferences. And I mean I wasn't being picky, I just couldn't fathom how they thought I could travel more than 30 miles for an appointment at 8.30 in the morning when I'd made it clear I don't drive. Ultimately I was promised one near the city centre in the afternoon today, and was told I would be sent confirmation and the details by email and post, which I accepted. This was last Wednesday.

Yesterday morning, having not received said confirmation or the important details of exactly when and where I was supposed to be for my appointment today I rang them up to find out what was going on. I received an apology, was told the time and location (which were fine) and was informed that they would contact the therapist who would confirm my appointment by call or email (without this I was told not to just turn up). I then heard absolutely nothing until a somewhat pissed off sounding therapist rang me up an hour ago asking why I hadn't shown up and wasted a counselling session. She was fine when I explained all this and said my notes claimed the appointment was confirmed and they'd not asked her to contact me.

Let me be clear, I'm not blaming the NHS or the charities for this, they're obviously having to deal with a huge backlogue and massive workload with resources that evidently aren't able to cope. I lay the blame solely on this government. May claimed she wanted to prioritise 'mental health', but I've been through this process before and last time the waiting time was shorter and the process of getting an appointment went smoothly, so as with everything else May's making an absolute mess of this as well.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Peter Geoghegan

@PeterKGeoghegan
6h6 hours ago
More
I wish broadcasters treated the minutiae of Irish border and #Brexit in the depth that internal Labour politics is covered #r4today
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I wouldn't mind so much if the details of internal Labour politics *were* well covered. But we all know that isn't the case.

(point of example, the number of times the IHRA definitions have been described as "universally accepted" or similar)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/pref ... -announced" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Preferred candidate for new NHS England chairman announced
Lord David Prior is the government’s chosen candidate to be the next chair of NHS England.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Government response to the Health and Social Care Committee’s report on integrated care

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... rated-care" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

@Sky'sGoneOut

Re: outsourced appointment services.

I'm just wondering if anyone's used an NHS outsourced booking service successfully. My experience is they can rarely book the appointment for you. It's either automatic, so no need for their input, or you need to ring the department directly, so no need for their input. They just seen like an extra bureaucratic stage that doesn't actually do anything, but it might just be me having awkward appointments! The last one I had was a book direct with the dept one, very efficient and easy to make, but the outsourced booking service kept sending me reminders, even after I'd attended the actual appointmentb("ignore if ou've made an appointment " kind of thing) A complete waste of resources.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Does the Tory party have a published rule book?
Anyone have a reputable link?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Radio 4 Today editor says John Humphrys is 'listeners' champion'

Sarah Sands defends presenter in face of criticism and says he will know when it’s time to quit

The Today programme’s editor, Sarah Sands, has given her backing to its longstanding host John Humphrys in the face of continuing criticism of his presenting style and said that “he will know when it feels right” to leave.

Sands, who has been the editor of the flagship Radio 4 news programme for 18 months, said that there were no plans for Humphrys to depart, adding that audience feedback about the veteran presenter shows listeners “absolutely see him as the listeners' champion”. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/ ... s-champion

About this "continuing criticism" . . .
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

If you mean code of conduct

https://www.conservatives.com/codeofconduct" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:If you mean code of conduct

https://www.conservatives.com/codeofconduct" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you.
Code of conduct for Conservative representatives
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Vital building plans for Grenfell could not be found, says fire officer

Peter Johnson tells inquiry he asked council official for plans that should have been in lobby

Firefighters struggled to obtain vital building plans for Grenfell Tower from the local council as they battled to control the fire, an inquiry has heard.

Detailed design information about the 24-storey block was supposed to be kept in a fireproof box in the lobby, but the document could not be found, a fire officer said.

Peter Johnson, a station manager from Hammersmith, claimed he had repeated conversations with a council official to try to obtain the plans on the morning of 14 June last year.

The document would have shown the layout of the building, including the location of utilities such as gas pipes, fire vents and dry-rise points where hoses could be attached. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... re-officer
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

citizenJA wrote:
HindleA wrote:If you mean code of conduct

Thank you.
Code of conduct for Conservative representatives
No rule book for the regulars then
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Frank Field has left the Labour party
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... ers-unions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DfE warns teachers against expressing 'political views'

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/dfe-warns-sch ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by HindleA on Wed 05 Sep, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 101732.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Experiencing homelessness for longer than six months can cause significant damage to a child
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-engla ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:Frank Field has left the Labour party
To be strictly accurate, I think he was deemed to have left by the party's disputes committee.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Frank Field has left the Labour party
To be strictly accurate, I think he was deemed to have left by the party's disputes committee.
Correct, thank you.
They read the rule book and did what it said.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

An early night for me, everyone
love,
cJA
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 24431.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brexit: UK would vote 59-41 to stay in EU, according to new poll
In total, 59 per cent of voters would vote to remain in the bloc, while 41 percent would opt to leave, the survey published as part of an academic led report by research bodies NatCen and the UK in a Changing Europe.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

(However, the poll’s author caveated the findings by saying the interview panel was skewed towards remain and some of those who changed their minds did not take part in the original Brexit referendum. )

That's quite a "however".
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

We haven't a scooby doo what the result would be with 100 % certainty and no caveats.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Evening all.

Cake anyone?

Birthday today so, as I really know how to have fun, I spent it in the library looking at street renumbering certificates...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

HB 'Roger' :-)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

You wouldn't think that anyone could be quick so dim as to not consider a rising share of pre-tax income as a reason for the proportion of income tax being paid going up but there you go...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Happy looking at street renumbering certificates day.

Pto