Saturday 8th & Sunday 9th September 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 8th & Sunday 9th September 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 8th & Sunday 9th September 2018

Post by PorFavor »

@HindleA

Did you both make progress with the crossword?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Excellent exposition of the creation of the bearer bond which broke Bretton Woods –

” If the bonds had been issued in Britain, there would have been a 4% tax on them, so Fraser formally issued them at Schiphol airport in the Netherlands. If the interest were to be paid in Britain, it would have attracted another tax, so Fraser arranged for it to be paid in Luxembourg. He managed to persuade the London Stock Exchange to list the bonds, despite their not being issued or redeemed in Britain, and talked around the central banks of France, the Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark and Britain, all of which were rightly concerned about the eurobonds’ impact on currency controls. The final trick was to pretend that the borrower was Autostrade – the Italian state motorway company – when really it was IRI, a state holding company. If IRI had been the borrower, it would have had to deduct tax at source, while Autostrade did not have to.

The cumulative effect of this game of jurisdictional Twister was that Fraser created a bond paying a good rate of interest, on which no one had to pay tax of any kind, and which could be turned back into cash anywhere. These were what are known as bearer bonds. Whoever possessed the bond owned them; there was no register of ownership or any obligation to record your holding, which was not written down anywhere.”

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/s ... _clipboard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ideal for dictators and all other criminals !
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... aking-tour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John McDonnell seeks to banish Labour woes with speaking tour
I'm hoping to see something about banking reform in Labour's economic policy. We need a different approach to investment and regional investment banks would be one way to achieve that.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north- ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Former North Wales Tory minister backs second referendum call over Brexit deal
There are some great quotes in this article:
In particular, Mr Bebb is dismayed by the way some Brexiteers have rejected the concerns of leading figures in the business community.
He said he could not with a clear conscience “point the finger at Corbynistas as being a danger to the economy of the United Kingdom” while within the Conservative party there was “a group of individuals who have decided that they are ideologically correct and therefore any evidence to the contrary must be seen in some way a traitorous intervention”.

Mr Bebb said: “I find it truly astonishing and inexplicable that Conservative colleagues in Wales are willing to attack businesses in such a manner.”
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@pf still trying to work out the instructions,progress is labourious (intended spelling)Doesn't help that I have the theme tune of tomorrow's world stuck in my head.
Last edited by HindleA on Sat 08 Sep, 2018 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

HindleA wrote:@pf still trying to work out the instructions,progress is labourious (intended spelling)
Have you recovered from your marathon splurge last night/this morning?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Mostly,as much as I ever do.It's hard to tell sometimes.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... aking-tour
I'm hoping to see something about banking reform in Labour's economic policy. We need a different approach to investment and regional investment banks would be one way to achieve that.
"Labour woes" - very objective framing there.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Willow904 wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... aking-tour
"Labour woes" - very objective framing there.
Internationally recognised Labour woes ! :-)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Afternoon all.

Just popping in to say that I'm off to Italy for a week. Northern part so Venice, Treviso, Grado, Trieste are on the list...and Aquileia for a second time.

Have a good week all.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Afternoon all.

Just popping in to say that I'm off to Italy for a week. Northern part so Venice, Treviso, Grado, Trieste are on the list...and Aquileia for a second time.

Have a good week all.
Have a good trip and stay safe.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Afternoon all. Just popping in to say that I'm off to Italy for a week. Northern part so Venice, Treviso, Grado, Trieste are on the list...and Aquileia for a second time. Have a good week all.
Looks like you could spend all week in Aquileia ! http://www.italyheaven.co.uk/friulivene ... ileia.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@Roger ,and you
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Remember to send the library a postcard.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Venice marathon on my list ,by coincidence,honest, happened to on during our honeymoon,I did briefly see it but generally otherwise occupied ...sightseeing.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Maybe I should stop just making a list at some stage.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Finished crossword,moons of bloody Saturn,apart from Titan and Hyperion,I may have looked them up.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

frog222 wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Afternoon all. Just popping in to say that I'm off to Italy for a week. Northern part so Venice, Treviso, Grado, Trieste are on the list...and Aquileia for a second time. Have a good week all.
Looks like you could spend all week in Aquileia ! http://www.italyheaven.co.uk/friulivene ... ileia.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
last time I was there I walked into a field with some ancient walls and was trying to work out what was going on.

Went down into a dip where there were more walls...and came back to find the electronic gate had shut with me locked inside - hadn't noticed time passing.

Eventually I noticed a bug red button on the fence with a cable leading to the gate..."what's the worst that could happen?" I thought...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:Finished crossword,moons of bloody Saturn,apart from Titan and Hyperion,I may have looked them up.
Isn't that cheating?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Semi serious,if you've answered all the clues with only the ones that haven't got one left,worked out the theme to know what to look for,I think legitimate.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

It's a right wing mag anyway,it cannot be allowed to defeat me.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/3164603" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Well, I'm bloody freezing!
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PorFavor wrote:

Well, I'm bloody freezing!
23° here, which is quite enough for doing an Autumn-cleaning of the estate ! (In to draw breath.)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Liked this at HuffPo -- on the Nike-kneeling furore

" Still, it's fun to watch the leader of a democratic nation insist that people absolutely MUST stand for a song that assures them that they are free. Not very bright, this lot."
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@PF maybe putting some clothes on rather than standing outside with just a tea cosy on your head may help in the not feeling so cold department,just a thought.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Thank goodness for the well placed water butt.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daily Mirror
@DailyMirror
Boris Johnson booed by cricket fans as rumours swirl about alleged affair (link: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... s-13212154" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) mirror.co.uk/news/politics/…
"..booed by cricket fans.."

Don't know why but that really tickled me for some reason. :D
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Four local council byelections this week:

Carlisle DC/Cumbria CC - a "dual vacancy" saw a double Labour hold in a safe area for them with shares around 60% in both cases. The district contest saw a modest swing to Labour since this May as the Tories dropped to under a quarter of the vote; Greens dropped back slightly as UKIP - who sat things out earlier this year - scored over 5%, but this was some way short of their showings in the previous few elections. The county result - with almost identical boundaries - in (slight) contrast, was a tiny swing to the Tories since last year (this may be explainable by the Labour candidate living some way outside the ward) Greens advanced slightly in this one, whilst UKIP's 4% was a small drop on a year ago (and well down on their second place in 2013)

Tameside - Labour hold with over half the vote, a modest drop since May but they will still likely be happy given the rather messy circumstances of this contest (their original candidate had to withdraw following revelations of financial irregularities) Though the beneficiaries were not the Tories, who dropped by seven points and into third place, but the Greens - who almost doubled their score to 26% and took the runners up spot, given their normally modest showings in these byelections this might make this ward worth watching in the future. Labour still remain in a strong position, though - and will be pleased with swings to them from the Tories compared to the 2014 and 2015 votes as well as earlier this year.

Fife - Tory gain from Labour, though given the unique context of Scottish byelections it is only fair to point out this is a division where they already topped the poll last year - it split 1C/2Nat/1Lab largely because the Tories only fielded one candidate when they might have got two elected. On slightly different boundaries things split 1Nat/1Lab/1LD/1C in 2007 and 1Nat/2Lab/1C in 2013; whilst the subsequent boundary change likely helped the Tories, their strong advance a year ago was not just down to their Scotland-wide resurgence but also the fact that this area has strongly gentrified in recent years. Not even a fuss over their candidates past somewhat errant remarks on social media could stop them topping the poll with 37% this time - whilst almost unchanged since 2017 a 3% drop in the second placed SNP share meant a small swing to them overall. Labour dropped 5 points to 12% whilst the LibDems 9% was a modest improvement but still left them some way short of their seat winning days in these parts. Not far behind the LibDems came the first of two Independents, then the Greens on 4% (little changed) and then the second Indy on less than 1% - still some way ahead of the wooden spoon Libertarian candidate who got a princely 0.2%.

Six contests next week.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Thanks
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/d ... r-13206758" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/help ... d429917e8d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HELP TO BUY
Help to Buy boom could leave a generation in negative equity

Will post further by request.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Will the coalition be seen as generally enacting harm or more mixed?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/help ... d429917e8d

HELP TO BUY
Help to Buy boom could leave a generation in negative equity

Will post further by request.
Why am I not surprised at who benefits from this wheeze?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Such detail in AK's result service.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Well,of course I would compare to the interest bearing loan with charges to remain in own home rather than investment,stepping stone ,as only available support,regardless if adapted/cannot move in an outwith own control rather than choice justified by making people make the same choices they don't have to and impossible remedial action.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Enforced temporarility,indeed removing of recognition of circumstances no matter how long the situation actually lasts is pernicious enough;justifying that by saving/nudging people into the "right direction",miracle cure,hodding a few bricks in between
treatments etc and encouraging them to be viewed as selfish is evil.Trapped you see,in daring to believe that contributions and fundamental reciprocity,mutually beneficial reciprocity to State and individual means something.
Last edited by HindleA on Sat 08 Sep, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Clear whose minds are trapped.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PorFavor wrote:
HindleA wrote:https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/help ... d429917e8d
HELP TO BUY Help to Buy boom could leave a generation in negative equity Will post further by request.
Why am I not surprised at who benefits from this wheeze?
Unusually good article, thanks ! :-)
"" Estate agents say that hundreds of Help to Buy purchasers are already trapped in negative equity and the problem is only likely to worsen. In London, for example, a developer is offering a one-bedroom flat under Help to Buy in the “up and coming” area of Clapton for £500,000. This means that a first-time buyer needs a deposit of £25,000 to get the property with the government providing £200,000 and a lender the rest. The average price, however, of other one-bedroom flats within 400 metres is £400,000.""

PS EDIT --- wasc this intended to make the builders so happy, or an attempt to get more property-owning Tory sympathisers ?
Unintended Consequences ... ?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Good one on John McDonnell from Miss Chin
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ship-funds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'll have to check it again but looks reasonable ...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Not falling into the reverse divisive trap,just a compare/contrast thing of differing treatments eg.no work harder stuff ,unlike that applied to not expected to work etc.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Just registered for the Vienna Marathon,instead of Venice,an easy mistake to make,ahem.I blame Raymond Baxter,the moons of Saturn and in particularly PF
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Should have known by the date,couldn't, do this years Venice anyway
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]4zRkIbUi01k[/youtube]
Last edited by PorFavor on Sat 08 Sep, 2018 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The Third Man tune,I blame Roger,for that one.A tad tangental .
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Swift edit,well played.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Anyone remember Shirley Abicair and her zither? I remember her as a "thing" but couldn't name any of her output. I think she's a name I remember from the BBC radio request programme for children ("Uncle Mac"?). Or I could be hallucinating.

Edited to add a space
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Third Man, Anton Karas>Shirley Abicair.

Just thought I'd explain.

Edited to add -

PTO
Last edited by PorFavor on Sat 08 Sep, 2018 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.