Monday 10th September 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 10th September 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
frog222
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 10th September 2018

Post by frog222 »

I wonder if the League of Nations was involved in the ‘treaties’ referred to below ? —

“” In 1920, following further imported international concern, there was a growing hunger in the media to create outrage and international treaty obligations; Britain passed the Dangerous Drug Act, restricting the supply of opium, cocaine, morphine and heroin without authorisation.

An amendment of this act to include cannabis was spearheaded by Egypt, which at the time relied heavily on cotton trade – which was threatened by hemp. They based their suggestion on claims that the drug resulted in widespread insanity – a claim as inaccurate then as it is now. Britain, however, was ambivalent towards the use of hash because there was little health or social concern regarding cannabis at home at the time. Still, the vote passed in Egypt’s favour (with UK abstaining), leading to the inclusion of cannabis in the amended 1928 Dangerous Drug Act

William Randolph Hearst, the media tycoon, who had invested heavily in wood pulp paper (another resource that was threatened by hemp materials), used his media empire to spread further panic amid reports that Mexican immigrants were using the drug and attacking white women.””

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/uk ... 29731.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You still need a special licence to grow Industrial Hemp, and politicians insist that all marijuana is Skunk !
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.thelocal.se/20180907/sweden ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sweden's election is being misreported abroad – and this is a problem
Doesn't mention the BBC, but suspect it's one of the media outlets being accused here of poor reporting. This bit of the article particularly caught my eye:
Most importantly, they could be forgiven for not realizing that while there's a chance the next government will do a deal with the Sweden Democrats to get its budget through, it will almost certainly not include Sweden Democrat ministers.
Sounds familiar somehow, reminds me of something, a recent election where a party with some extreme views was used by a traditional ruling party to get a budget through...
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

The problem is predetermined narratives, most of the media had decided the election would be a SD triumph in advance and don't have the wit or flexibility to change.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

This is a good piece on the recent history of the tories.
https://averypublicsociologist.blogspot ... elite.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
while in their weakened state some capital - the most backward and socially useless sections as it happened - stuck with them, the bulk threw their lot in with Blairism. That is until the crash came along. Gordon Brown saved their system, and they demonstrated their gratitude by abandoning him for Dave's shiny, socially liberal Toryism.
with May we see a weird form of Bonapartism in her party. Rather than contending factions cancelling each other out and the administration in the middle rising to power from a position of strength, May's authority - such as it is - derives from the fact none of the competing factions want her job.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Phil BC has been on a roll for a while now.

Everybody here should follow his blog.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Dr Fox said that fellow Brexiteers needed to beware of succumbing to "irrational positivity"
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/i-ca ... -b22w97jt7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You couldn't make it up.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Off topic.

During the final Specsavers Test Match between England and India at the Kia Oval (7-11 September), Jagger has pledged to back the players on both teams to the tune of £20,000 each time one of them scores a hundred or takes five wickets and £10,000 if they score a fifty or take three wickets.

https://www.chancetoshine.org/news/chan ... cket-teams" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

gilsey wrote:This is a good piece on the recent history of the tories.
https://averypublicsociologist.blogspot ... elite.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
while in their weakened state some capital - the most backward and socially useless sections as it happened - stuck with them, the bulk threw their lot in with Blairism. That is until the crash came along. Gordon Brown saved their system, and they demonstrated their gratitude by abandoning him for Dave's shiny, socially liberal Toryism.
with May we see a weird form of Bonapartism in her party. Rather than contending factions cancelling each other out and the administration in the middle rising to power from a position of strength, May's authority - such as it is - derives from the fact none of the competing factions want her job.
Liked this bit on the "magic hand" --"" During the Dave years the shrivelling of the Tories at the top and the bottom started catching up with it. For all Osborne's talk of the long-term economic plan, Dave's liberal Toryism amounted to a doubling down on the Thatcherite settlement

in the hope that somehow the hidden hand would become a magic hand and allow the country to bounce back from its 2008 cardiac arrest.

In practice we saw more privatisation, a naked assault on the poorest, more tax cuts for the rich, mushrooming foodbank use, more homelessness, a deeply dysfunctional property market and an inauguration of a permanent, highly casualised, low paid, and precarious work force as a significant constituency of workers. Truly a shameful record, even by Tory standards. This was the outcome of the Tories ties to finance as well as the most backward sections of British capital - Osborne's budgets ensured there were plenty of opportunities for profiteering, plenty of opportunities to employ cheap, disorganised labour. This imbalance at the top was matched by imbalance below - ...""
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

gilsey wrote:
Dr Fox said that fellow Brexiteers needed to beware of succumbing to "irrational positivity"
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/i-ca ... -b22w97jt7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You couldn't make it up.
The comments are almost unanimously critical ! My caps-lock --
"“This is a negotiation. We will negotiate this and THEN we will determine whether we think this is a good deal or not a good deal for Britain.
And THEN ... ?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Painfully accurate and informative one on the state of the Dems in the US-
A new wave of left-leaning Democrats are waging a war on the party’s corporate wing
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ty-america" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It looks more like a hegemony than a 'wing', a very long way to go.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

And the "corporate" wing behave very much like the self-styled Labour "moderates" over here.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AK 11.05 -- self-styled indeed, with the full collaboration of the MSM !
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

TUC Congress

https://www.tuc.org.uk/tuc-congress-2018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... eview-2018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Boundary Commissions: Boundary Review 2018
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Revised constituency boundary review has been released, only minor changes from previously it appears.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

FWIW retained constituency subject to confirmation ,as far as I can work out ,after representations. Very detailed report.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Unfortunately still f''ing Tory.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Didn't agree with my singular house proposal for some reason.Tarquin for MP.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Shoe in for first result
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ebook-bill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Thoughts?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:And the "corporate" wing behave very much like the self-styled Labour "moderates" over here.
These factions
don't they understand without unity, no one gets anything?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Thoughts?
Worryingly, it is on Facebook, which most of us in Britain use...
I don't; but that's an aside
By establishing legal accountability for what’s published in large online forums, I believe we can force those who run these echo chambers to stamp out the evil that is currently so prominent.
Isn't this already the law? Content posted above and below the line on news outlets are the responsibility of the owners of those news vendors. Am I mistaken?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Given them up.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Run rather than provide the platform? Equally I may be mistaken.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Giving up thoughts is a thought.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Run rather than provide the platform? Equally I may be mistaken.
It's my understanding the commenting platforms underneath some articles online are the responsibility of that news website; the news outlet providing that commenting platform is responsible for for the content of people making posts.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Running a platform or providing a platform - what's the difference?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

citizenJA wrote:
Worryingly, it is on Facebook, which most of us in Britain use...
I don't; but that's an aside
By establishing legal accountability for what’s published in large online forums, I believe we can force those who run these echo chambers to stamp out the evil that is currently so prominent.
Isn't this already the law? Content posted above and below the line on news outlets are the responsibility of the owners of those news vendors. Am I mistaken?
Online papers are classed as publishers and thus responsible for everything they print, including letters and comments.
Social media providers aren't classed as publishers - they are "platforms" or so they contend and thus have been able to duck laws designed for the print era.
Given many operate news feeds, an update to the law is long overdue. I haven't read the article your comment responded to yet, I should add, I'm just responding generally to your question. So apologies if what I've just posted isn't relevant.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Giving up thoughts is a thought.
excellent point
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

'All the words are gonna bleed from me
And I will think no more'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:---
Online papers are classed as publishers and thus responsible for everything they print, including letters and comments.
Social media providers aren't classed as publishers - they are "platforms" or so they contend and thus have been able to duck laws designed for the print era.

Given many operate news feeds, an update to the law is long overdue. I haven't read the article your comment responded to yet, I should add, I'm just responding generally to your question. So apologies if what I've just posted isn't relevant.
(cJA edit & emphasis)
I agree with your call for an update for social media platforms providing news feeds
Laws have to be consistent
What is considered actionable is from legislation passed in the House, from government
It's private news outlets' responsibility and resources monitoring their content and removing liable contributions
The last two paragraphs in the article
We should educate people to be more resilient and better able to spot fake news and recognise hate, but we must also ensure there are much stronger protections to spread decency and police our online communities. The responsibility to regulate these social media platforms falls on the government. It is past time to act.

That’s why I am introducing a bill in parliament which will do just that. By establishing legal accountability for what’s published in large online forums, I believe we can force those who run these echo chambers to stamp out the evil that is currently so prominent. Social media can be a fantastic way of bringing people together – which is precisely why we need to prevent it being hijacked by those who instead wish to divide.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ebook-bill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who's going to moderate social media platforms?
Libel laws are different depending on the country

I'm not sure I'm entirely comfortable with some of Powell's article
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Unfortunately still f''ing Tory.
oh, damn it!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Eg.Admin/moderators not whoever sets up the facility?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

citizenJA wrote:
Willow904 wrote:---

(cJA edit & emphasis)
I agree with your call for an update for social media platforms providing news feeds
Laws have to be consistent
What is considered actionable is from legislation passed in the House, from government
It's private news outlets' responsibility and resources monitoring their content and removing liable contributions
The last two paragraphs in the article
We should educate people to be more resilient and better able to spot fake news and recognise hate, but we must also ensure there are much stronger protections to spread decency and police our online communities. The responsibility to regulate these social media platforms falls on the government. It is past time to act.

That’s why I am introducing a bill in parliament which will do just that. By establishing legal accountability for what’s published in large online forums, I believe we can force those who run these echo chambers to stamp out the evil that is currently so prominent. Social media can be a fantastic way of bringing people together – which is precisely why we need to prevent it being hijacked by those who instead wish to divide.

Who's going to moderate social media platforms?
Libel laws are different depending on the country

I'm not sure I'm entirely comfortable with some of Powell's article
She seems to have left out the whole bit about what her parliamentary bill entails and how it would achieve the end result she seeks. Not exactly the most informative article I've ever read.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Online Forums: Ten Minute Rule Motion
Lucy Powell

"That leave be given to bring in a Bill to make administrators and moderators of certain online forums responsible for content published on those forums; to require such administrators and moderators to remove certain content; to require platforms to publish information about such forums; and for connected purposes."

TUESDAY 11 SEPTEMBER

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/c ... 180905.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Eg.Admin/moderators not whoever sets up the facility?
Whoever sets up the facility is responsible for content
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

citizenJA wrote:
Online Forums: Ten Minute Rule Motion
Lucy Powell

"That leave be given to bring in a Bill to make administrators and moderators of certain online forums responsible for content published on those forums; to require such administrators and moderators to remove certain content; to require platforms to publish information about such forums; and for connected purposes."

TUESDAY 11 SEPTEMBER

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/c ... 180905.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's not really detailed enough to grasp exactly what this bill is proposing, but "to require platforms to publish information about such forums" sounds interesting. It seems to imply the likes of Facebook, while not responsible for what individuals post, would be at least responsible for knowing who has set up and runs groups on their platform
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Most odd, does DJT really draft his tweets ?

“” “He drafts a tweet saying ‘We are going to pull our dependents from South Korea – family members of the 28,000 people there,’” Woodward said, referring to families of US troops stationed on the Korean peninsula.

The tweet was never sent because of a back-channel message from the North Koreans that they would view it as a sign the US was preparing to attack, according to CBS.

“At that moment there was a sense of profound alarm in the Pentagon leadership that, ‘My God, one tweet and we have reliable information that the North Koreans are going to read this as ‘an attack is imminent.’”
“”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... presidency" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A nice LOLOLOL coming back from the beach and imagining DJT ""writing a book "" .

All by himself :-)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA