Tuesday 11th September 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 11th September 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 11th September 2018

Post by HindleA »

"connections"

My ex framer of medals asks a question of Paul on twitter.He initially impressed me by having a 1974 calendar because of the same corresponding days/dayes as that year.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

HindleA wrote:"connections"

My ex framer of medals asks a question of Paul on twitter.He initially impressed me by having a 1974 calendar because of the same corresponding days/dayes as that year.
:lol:

It's so tedious.

I feel I like Toby Perkins, I know someone who knows him well and I follow him on Twitter.

But if he wants consensus and and end to infighting, why on earth did he Retweet (so it ends up in my Twitter) this from Joan Ryan?
So lost 92 to 94 votes hardly decisive victory and it never occurred to me that Trots Stalinists Communists and assorted hard left would gave (sic) confidence in me. I have none in them.
I mean I understand she was upset, but....
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Are the EU wrong to make things easy for May?

I've been thinking this for a while, Wren-Lewis explains it better than I could.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

gilsey wrote:Are the EU wrong to make things easy for May?

I've been thinking this for a while, Wren-Lewis explains it better than I could.
It still seems to me that there is one issue where vagueness will not be tolerated and that is the Irish Border.

And once you start discussing that, everything else comes to the fore.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Indeed the headlines in one paper this morning (Indy?) were basically that. Ireland and food names were the two outstanding issues.

One of those can surely be fudged.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

It still seems to me that there is one issue where vagueness will not be tolerated and that is the Irish Border.

And although there is a lot of EU talk at the moment about how a deal is there for the taking, there is also a lot of EU talk about the indivisibility of free movement of goods, services, capital and labour. I think what they are saying is 'once you accept our fundamentals we have a deal'. Which is what they've been saying all along.

On the discussion last night about forums (fora?) and responsibilities, we have talked about this in the past on here. I think that our set up, where we say very clearly that all moderation is responsive and reactive and we emphasise that people are responsible for what they post, means that mods and admin are probably in the clear from problematic material posted so long as they always respond appropriately when concerns are raised.

I don't see any possible way that we could have a legal situation where 'admin' in the widest sense had to take proactive responsibility for everything posted - it would not be possible for the big social networks to proactively monitor without doing it automatically - blocking words and phrases and so on - which would block all sorts of legitimate content along the way.
I still believe in a town called Hope
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

We have to sign up to the backstop and the theory is that May will be able to persuade MPs that that's ok because it won't be needed, because unicorns.
Leaving us with indefinite BINO because they'll never find the unicorn.

The fudge is over the political declaration for a future trade deal, not the Irish border.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

gilsey wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

We have to sign up to the backstop and the theory is that May will be able to persuade MPs that that's ok because it won't be needed, because unicorns.
Leaving us with indefinite BINO because they'll never find the unicorn.

The fudge is over the political declaration for a future trade deal, not the Irish border.
Will Arlene Foster accept the unicorny backstop?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Later today MPs will take part in an emergency debate on the recent escalation of violence in #Yemen.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

It looks like the constituency boundary changes unveiled yesterday are being kicked into the long grass already.

Just go back to 650* MPs with a bit more flexibility in drawing the seats up, for heaven's sake.

(*though I would personally make that 651, I have always thought elected bodies should have an odd number of members if possible)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

AnatolyKasparov wrote:It looks like the constituency boundary changes unveiled yesterday are being kicked into the long grass already.

Just go back to 650* MPs with a bit more flexibility in drawing the seats up, for heaven's sake.

(*though I would personally make that 651, I have always thought elected bodies should have an odd number of members if possible)
As opposed to a number of odd members?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://theindependentlivingdebate.word ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://righttoparticipate.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Universal Credit: 29 April 2013 to 9 August 2018

These experimental statistics cover the number of people on Universal Credit to 9 August 2018

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is currently investigating a discrepancy with the data on duration on Universal Credit.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... ugust-2018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-engla ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Northamptonshire councillor's firm given £60,000 public cash
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-engla ... ssion=true

Northamptonshire councillor's firm given £60,000 public cash
That's getting on for £3,000 for each letter of his name. Bargain!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Lucy Powell showing she is yet another politician who doesn't understand how the internet actually works <sigh>
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Thanks as ever for the links A
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tens of thousands of car factory jobs could be lost under a no deal Brexit, Jaguar boss says

(Politics Live, Guardian)
Surely that's good for lowering unemployment? Mysteriously, it seems to be how things work these days.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:
Tens of thousands of car factory jobs could be lost under a no deal Brexit, Jaguar boss says

Surely that's good for lowering unemployment? Mysteriously, it seems to be how things work these days.
I really don't think anybody takes the "official" jobless figures seriously any more?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

I really don't think anybody takes the "official" jobless figures seriously any more?

Oh, I'm sure some people do. And a lot of others lend the figures credence by pretending to believe them.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/c ... bour-party" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

That was a curious article ! I prefer this -- a good Gaby at the G–
Labour is finally back in the real world – and taking on the gig economy

“” People just want some security and some basic trade union rights to protect them, McDonnell told Radio 4’s Today programme, and who would disagree? Alarm about the human consequences of insecure working practices is shared on both sides of the warring Labour party. Frank Field, who recently quit to sit as an independent, was a vocal critic of gig employers and McDonnell’s announcement was welcomed by Wes Streeting, who is hardly a Corbyn fan but has plenty of black cab drivers among his Ilford constituents.””

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -mcdonnell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And good John McD :-)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Serious TUC Crace yesterday —
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -on-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

""he key to running any successful conference is to ensure most arguments are kept behind closed doors and that any public debate is sufficiently vaguely worded to achieve consensus amid widespread disagreement. And few do it better than the Trades Union Congress. Proof that the years spent sitting at negotiating tables have not been misspent came in a whistle-stop tour of Brexit on Monday afternoon.""

and today’s —
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... free-trade" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"" The event had been billed as “economists for free trade”. The plural turned out to be optimistic, as there was only one economist in the room. And only then if you apply the term economist very loosely. Patrick Minford is a man who has made a career out of being wrong about nearly everything, and he wasn’t about to break the habit of a lifetime. ""
Last edited by frog222 on Tue 11 Sep, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Written by the "Editor of The New European".

That saved the trouble of actually reading it :twisted:
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Donald J. Trump said on Monday that he is “a-hundred-per-cent positive” that an F.B.I. informant infiltrated his 2016 campaign but that he has “absolutely no idea” who that mole might be.

“I’ve been trying to figure out who would have the opportunity and the motive to do something like this,” he said. “But I keep coming up empty.”

“Opportunity-wise, you’d need to be someone who’s in my inner circle and who could get close to me without raising suspicions,” he said. “But, then again, the person would have to be able to suddenly disappear for periods of time and report back to the F.B.I. I can’t think of anyone in a position to do that.”

“As for motive, you’d really have to be out to get me,” Trump added. “Now, I have enemies like anyone else. But I can’t think of anyone I’ve given a reason to really, really hate me.”

Trump said that he would “keep trying to figure out who it is,” but he admitted that, at this point, the informant’s identity was “a total mystery.”

“I’m kind of an amateur detective,” Trump said. “I watch ‘Law & Order,’ I watch all the ‘Law & Order’s. I watch all the shows. But, I’ve got to say, this one has me stumped.”
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45326487#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'Rewards don't improve school attendance'
I rather enjoyed this article. The idea that the fascists who like to shame and bully kids who have low attendance regardless of often having very good reasons for their absence such as being ill and stuff appear to have hit on a system that actually discourages the best attendees from attending quite as much as they might have done if their schools hadn't had such an obsessive focus on attendance!
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:It looks like the constituency boundary changes unveiled yesterday are being kicked into the long grass already.

good idea
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

My keyboard is dying
It got doused with water while I was cleaning
It's a lousy keyboard, don't mourn it
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

My keyboard is dying
It got doused with water while I was cleaning
It's a lousy keyboard, don't mourn it
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm logging out
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Willow904 wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-453 ... e]'Rewards don't improve school attendance'
I rather enjoyed this article. The idea that the fascists who like to shame and bully kids who have low attendance regardless of often having very good reasons for their absence such as being ill and stuff appear to have hit on a system that actually discourages the best attendees from attending quite as much as they might have done if their schools hadn't had such an obsessive focus on attendance![/quote]

There's nothing like a good Unintended Consequence ...:-)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Evil vid here of Asian hornets hovering by a beehive, reminded me of the swarm of helicopters in Apocalypse Now–
https://www.independent.co.uk/environme ... 32371.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Many more sightings in the UK ...
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Barnier confronts Raab over discovery of Brexit no-deal letters to EU27

Exclusive: Letters ask states to engage with UK in side deals on transport if Brexit talks fail

Dominic Raab has been reprimanded by Michel Barnier after the EU’s chief negotiator discovered the British government had written to the 27 other member states asking for side negotiations on transport in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

The Brexit secretary was confronted by Barnier during their most recent meeting in Brussels over correspondence sent in recent days to EU capitals by the Department for Transport.

The transport secretary, Chris Grayling, had ordered the letters to be sent despite being told less than two weeks ago by the European commission’s most senior trade official, Violeta Bulc, that without a deal this autumn, there would be no other agreements made to protect the UK economy. (Guardian - my emphasis)
Chris Grayling strikes again.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ls-cabinet
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PF -- Flailing Grayling's fucked up prisons, the probation service and the trains, how about the nuke programme next?
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... f-collapse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No schadenfreude, ours is in a splendid mess too :-)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

On the subject of trains, I meant to post this yesterday. Northern Powerhouse living down to expectations, snafu.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-45435683" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
New trains planned for the East Coast mainline do not work properly with track-side equipment, it has emerged.

The Azuma trains cause electromagnetic interference to older signals and points in the north of England.

This means the electro-diesel trains can only run on diesel, travelling much more slowly than their promised speed...................................

The older system used on the line north of York does not work with the new trains when they operate on electric power.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

A bit of Bernie for a change, on Mussadeq (sp) Tonkin and Bush's WMD and the War ON Terra, 17 years old today !
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube]G7NP6rtIdZg[/youtube]

Everyone remember where they were on that 911 ?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

One of my friend’s sons was studying at the Lycee Salvador Allende on the anniversary of that other 911.

I don’t expect there are many UK schools with such a name .