Thursday 13th September 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Thursday 13th September 2018

Post by HindleA »

Morning
frog222
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 13th September 2018

Post by frog222 »

Morning !

HT Toady, this was online last night, and in today’s Torygraph —

There is a way to create a positive legacy from the turmoil of the financial crisis JITESH GADHIA

“” As we approach the 10th anniversary of Lehman Brothers’ collapse, which plunged the Western world into the most serious financial crisis since the 1930s, the reviews and retrospectives will come thick and fast.

Should Lehman have been saved that fateful weekend in September 2008? What if bank bondholders had shared more of the restructuring pain? Was the policy response too slow and poorly coordinated? Is leverage in the financial system still too high? Even a decade later there are many unresolved questions to ponder.

But the biggest piece of unfinished business is how central banks should unwind their use of unconventional monetary policy. Quantitative easing, or QE, in the form of large-scale… “” ETC
————————————————

So, the BoE ‘printed money’ and now has the c.£455Bn in assets which it bought . Next create a Sovereign Infrastructure Fund , and gradually flog off those assets to invest in longterm infrastructure . Not too fast as that might be inflationary ?

Well well well . The BoE had a Magic Money Tree all the time :-)

Or not ? It's baffling stuff .

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... al-crisis/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Yesterday I had a snipe at Tom Watson. In the morning he was continuing to refresh the internal antisemitism- war, then later on a congratulatory piece on his beating his type2 diabetes, with photo of a much more healthy-looking TW ! I sensed Ambition , and confess I'd never trusted him, from the little I knew .
Continuing ‘observation’ of Tom Watson … was the wall in question below used by all sorts of taggers , or was this really a desecration ? It's often difficult to tell what's what in the propaganda war .

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... k-homepage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT PS -- a valuable contribution to the Sugar War , the extent of public ignorance is wonderful :-)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

A few years ago I met someone who'd lost a third of her body weight and reversed a type 2 diabetes diagnosis, she'd been working with the medics in Newcastle who've been on this track for a while.
Doing it on your own is impressive.

Keeping it up long term is even harder.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Alcohol dependency at record high but fewer being treated, data shows

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... data-shows" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

gilsey wrote:A few years ago I met someone who'd lost a third of her body weight and reversed a type 2 diabetes diagnosis, she'd been working with the medics in Newcastle who've been on this track for a while. Doing it on your own is impressive. Keeping it up long term is even harder.
gilsey -- it should really be OldNews by now shouldn't it ? Addiction is a fascinating study, see HindleA's alcoholism link. As for keeping it up, I can't imagine going back to smoking (I was nearly 70 and it was either that or breathing...), while I'm still working on the sugar. But I've cut that right down to a bit of jam and the occasional spoon in my coffee. Processed stuff with concealed sugar is o.u.t.

The Sugar Lobby is just like the Tobacco Mob , Enemies of the People .
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Indulging Steve Bannon is just a form of liberal narcissism Nesrine Malik

"" To use a favourite phrase of Bannon himself, interviewing him is a perverse form of virtue signalling. To indulge him is an egotistical misreading of freedom of speech. It is about boasting liberal commitment to the value, rather than engaging with the evils that hide behind it.

This is a narcissism that many cannot afford. White supremacy, banning Muslims from entering countries and fascist flirtations are tangible issues for those not cushioned by the comforts of being of the correct race, religion or skin colour. They are not ideas that need to be “exposed”, or interrogated, or challenged. They are simply to be fought.""

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... narcissism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

frog222 wrote:Yesterday I had a snipe at Tom Watson. In the morning he was continuing to refresh the internal antisemitism- war, then later on a congratulatory piece on his beating his type2 diabetes, with photo of a much more healthy-looking TW ! I sensed Ambition , and confess I'd never trusted him, from the little I knew .
Continuing ‘observation’ of Tom Watson … was the wall in question below used by all sorts of taggers , or was this really a desecration ? It's often difficult to tell what's what in the propaganda war .

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... k-homepage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT PS -- a valuable contribution to the Sugar War , the extent of public ignorance is wonderful :-)
Watson isn't ever going to be Labour leader, you can have that on the record ;)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
frog222 wrote:Yesterday I had a snipe at Tom Watson. In the morning he was continuing to refresh the internal antisemitism- war, then later on a congratulatory piece on his beating his type2 diabetes, with photo of a much more healthy-looking TW ! I sensed Ambition , and confess I'd never trusted him, from the little I knew .
Watson isn't ever going to be Labour leader, you can have that on the record ;)
Thanks AK ! Confess I'd never properly studied him. Would he be described as a Blairite ?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Ha, describing him as such causes hilarity amongst a certain type of "Centrist Dad" given his past - most notably certain events in 2006.

Basically he is an old style Labour right winger, of the type often found in the Midlands. He has tacked to the left at times, but it has never been terribly convincing.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

This has long been my commentary on the hinterland of Brexit and indeed I was discussing it just yesterday with George Eaton on Twitter

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/u ... ces-europe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tories-support-hungary-part-decade-far-right-alliances-europe
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Still no reference to that on the BBC website this morning, surprisingly.

(or not)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

I'll look up Centrist Dad on the interwebs, some day, perhaps :-)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Daily Mail backs May's Brexit plan and brands rebel Tories 'traitors'

More enemies of the People !!!

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/ ... s-traitors" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:This has long been my commentary on the hinterland of Brexit and indeed I was discussing it just yesterday with George Eaton on Twitterhttps://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2018/0 ... ces-europe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; tories-support-hungary-part-decade-far-right-alliances-europe
We might not be hearing too much from the BoD and the Conservative Friends of Israel on that one, as the Israeli government is very friendly with elements of the European Far-Right . Let's see !
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Actually the BoD have just said they are "disappointed" - I think many, including lots of Jews, might have hoped for something a bit stronger.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:This has long been my commentary on the hinterland of Brexit and indeed I was discussing it just yesterday with George Eaton on Twitter

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/u ... ces-europe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thought I'd just immortalise this comment in case you realised later how funny it sounds. :D
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

frog222 wrote:Indulging Steve Bannon is just a form of liberal narcissism Nesrine Malik
Such a brilliant phrase, and arguably it isn't even genuine liberalism. Rather a form of empty, performative "centrism".
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... rexit-deal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Guidance

Handling civil legal cases that involve EU countries if there’s no Brexit deal
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/collectio ... th-no-deal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

[Dominic] Raab......on the Today programme...
---
"I don’t doubt that some of the uncertainty around these negotiations will have an impact on business. That’s why we are putting all our energy into getting the good deal that we want with our EU friends and partners ...All I’m just gently saying is that it is rather easy for a business to blame Brexit and the politicians rather than to take responsibility for their own situation."
(cJA emphasis)

what the hell did you say Raab
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-evening, all
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

""The bidding had been intense. Both the BBC and Channel 4 had put up six-figure offers, which had then been topped by NBC slamming $1m on the table. But in the end it had been RT’s offer of a lifetime’s diplomatic immunity, along with a free weekend break at an exclusive Black Sea resort, that had secured the interview every broadcaster wanted. ""

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... -wikipedia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

frog222 wrote:""The bidding had been intense. Both the BBC and Channel 4 had put up six-figure offers, which had then been topped by NBC slamming $1m on the table. But in the end it had been RT’s offer of a lifetime’s diplomatic immunity, along with a free weekend break at an exclusive Black Sea resort, that had secured the interview every broadcaster wanted. ""

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... -wikipedia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This whole thing just gets weirder and weirder. Yes, it does now seem like it was The Russkies Wot Dun It - but that is just scratching the surface really.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

gilsey wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:This has long been my commentary on the hinterland of Brexit and indeed I was discussing it just yesterday with George Eaton on Twitter

I thought I'd just immortalise this comment in case you realised later how funny it sounds. :D
Hey gilsey have I had a sense of humour failure?

I did literally make this argument to George Eaton yesterday and then he wrote an article about it. I think the inference is that he had had the same thoughts himself.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 20.59.17.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 20.59.17.png (117.86 KiB) Viewed 5430 times
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

And by the by you don't happen to know Yoko Ono ?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Lenny Kravitz?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

LOL no

but Kim Wilde does follow me on Twitter ;-)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

BTW a shout for Eaton

I used to really like him when he was first at the Staggers, but he went a bit Centrist Dad for a while. Happily he's back being a decent non-aligned critical leftish voice again and I enjoy his work.

And he does interact on Twitter which I like. As does Jon Stone from the Indy who is another good egg journo IMHO.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

:dance:

if I don't dance, I'll be too unhappy
difficult times
dance
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

where's PorFavor?
goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Question Time report. After a bottle of Lindisfarne spiced mead. Which was very nice.

Tonight it was from Banbury, which in my ignorance I'd never heard of. Oxfordshire apparently and the audience were very well behaved. No shouty gammons.

For the Tories we had Rory Stewart, now Rory is a bit of an enigma as far as I'm concerned. He's a dreadfully earnest bloke who always seems to want to do the right thing as far as he sees it, he spoke a lot of sense during and after his experiences in Iraq but then became a Tory MP and everything seemed to go to shit. He was MP for Penrith and The Border for about 5 minutes and came out with a TV series about the history of the Borders which was so unutterably awful that I felt embarrassed for him. As a Borderer with a bit of sympathy for Rory it made me cringe to see someone so desperately wanting to please getting everything so desperately wrong. Anyway tonight he was earnest about being a Theresa May loyalist and the Chequers proposals being the best deal for the country. Which came as no surprise.

For Labour we had Chris Leslie who was fine. Argued for a people's referendum. Was mostly harmless.

Then we had Julia Hartley-Brewer pretending to be stupider than she actually is for money. It really does make me laugh when we have the likes of Julia on the Brexit right decrying the liberal elite trying to sway the public while people like herself quite deliberately dumb down their own populist utterings to sway people she'd never speak to on the street, never mind invite to a dinner party.

Also we had Theo Paphitis, I'm not familiar with the bloke as I've never watched whatever reality TV he does but he seemed genuine. A reluctant Brexiter who espoused revamping the tax laws to tax Amazon and the like.

And finally Faiza Shaheen, director of left-wing think tank CLASS, I distrust anyone who wants to be part of a think tank, whether left or right, and in this case my distrust was justified. She offered very little of any substance whatsoever, basically going down a bullet pointed list of left wing talking points ticking them off as the night went on without showing any ability to think on her feet at all. She was really frustrating. And a Labour candidate.

Banbury looks quite nice on Wikipedia, which means no doubt it'll soon be full of Russian tourists bearing neurotoxins.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:Banbury looks quite nice on Wikipedia, which means no doubt it'll soon be full of Russian tourists bearing neurotoxins.
I've been to Banbury. There's a Kraft factory there which makes coffee. Smells to high heaven.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Presumably not of coffee as according to Google Krafk make Maxwell House.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:Presumably not of coffee as according to Google Krafk make Maxwell House.
No, not coffee. Some horrible, burnt, chemically smell.