Tuesday 2nd October 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 2nd October 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 2nd October 2018

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... conference" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Emergency funding for social care to be announced at Tory conference
Health secretary to promise £240m in hope of staving off another winter crisis
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... conference
Emergency funding for social care to be announced at Tory conference
Health secretary to promise £240m in hope of staving off another winter (political) crisis.
or do I mean another (political) winter crisis ?

It doesn't matter if numbers of people suffer and die, as long as it's not on the News .
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.
Frank_Bough

@frank_bough
15m15 minutes ago
More
Theresa May: "We will prevent unskilled workers coming from EU and will fill the gap by training British workers"

So, we're going to *train* British workers to have *no skills*?

Interesting concept.
:D

The point's been made elsewhere but those 'unskilled' workers are those who keep the care system and lower paid jobs in the NHS going.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

@frank_bough
15m15 minutes ago
More
Theresa May: "We will prevent unskilled workers coming from EU and will fill the gap by training British workers" So, we're going to *train* British workers to have *no skills*?
Interesting concept.
:D The point's been made elsewhere but those 'unskilled' workers are those who keep the care system and lower paid jobs in the NHS going.
Agreed with the emphasis on that "unskilled" ! Another aspect of the British Disease is snobbishness towards those who don't do nice clean office jobs, as though 'care-working' is skill-free and doesn't require training and experience, and mechanics and technicians aren't often still learning all their working lives.
Last edited by frog222 on Tue 02 Oct, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

‘I will never return to teach in England’: the UK teachers finding refuge abroad 2 Oct 2018 08:35

GordonBrown12:
"At the school I work at in the Czech Republic they have a relaxed attitude to teachers, there is more trust, twice annual bonuses and instead of a Bell - they play soothing music at the start and end of the lesson. There’s a lack of two faced career teachers and not as much bullshit paperwork. The UK’s education system is deeply flawed and it’s rotting, to those who remain I salute you."

Coments on the education articles are always interesting ...

FORGOT the link !

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... uge-abroad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by frog222 on Tue 02 Oct, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Not *that* Frank Bough, I presume?

(and indeed, not that Gordon Brown)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Parts of Good Friday agreement might have to change under no deal Brexit, says DUP
Lisa O'Carroll

The DUP MP Sir Jeffrey Donaldson has said that elements of the Good Friday agreement will have to be changed if there is no Brexit deal.

As Theresa May was being interviewed by the BBC, Donaldson told RTE that the party was “not seeking to alter” the peace agreement but parts of the north-south co-operation would change if Britain crashed out of the EU.

His remarks came after the party’s leader, Arlene Foster, said the peace deal was “not sacrosanct”.

The DUP was the only major political party not to support the Good Friday agreement when it was sealed in 1998 and it is not the first time Foster has said the peace deal could change. (Politics Live, Guardian)

Edited - tidy up
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

All very well the DUP saying that, but they can't change it unilaterally.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:All very well the DUP saying that, but they can't change it unilaterally.
Yes - but it does represent "bad faith", which can't be a good thing.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Why must we be subjected to TV (Sky) interviews with Boris Johnson's father?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Oh, dear. Sajid Javid wants to fight hope with hate. He's really making a balls-up of his speech.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PorFavor wrote:Oh, dear. Sajid Javid wants to fight hope with hate. He's really making a balls-up of his speech.
HAHA ! One advantage of no TV .

The best democracy money can buy !

” INDIAN WELLS, Calif. – The network of groups affiliated with billionaire brothers Charles and David Koch will spend more than $400 million on conservative causes and candidates in the 2018 midterm election cycle.

Americans for Prosperity President Tim Phillips said Saturday that the investment would be the network’s largest election cycle investment ever — 60 percent greater than the 2016 presidential cycle — as Republicans seek to protect majorities in the House and Senate against stiff political headwinds.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3 ... tion-cycle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amazing ?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Oh, he's found his feet now. We're on to Jeremy Corbyn bashing.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Love this...especially the "yes but" line from the Brexiteer

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Speaking of speaking nonsense -

Did anyone else hear (yesterday) the pro-Brexit conference attendee who said that he "keeps his finger to the ground"? (Or perhaps I misheard. I always doubt myself.)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Boris Johnson has just been saying how awful council housing is\was and people hated being in it. He then went on to say that Labour are in favour of it because it keeps the people living in it voting Labour. Why would they, if it's so awful?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Please excuse the appalling standard of English in my previous post. I was aiming for brevity, but have only achieved incomprehensibility.

Edited to add - keeping it Johnson!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:Boris Johnson has just been saying how awful council housing is\was and people hated being in it. He then went on to say that Labour are in favour of it because it keeps the people living in it voting Labour. Why would they, if it's so awful?
Its just a variant of the "Labour deliberately keep their voters poor" line which has been used by Tories since at least the Attlee government.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PorFavor wrote:Please excuse the appalling standard of English in my previous post. I was aiming for brevity, but have only achieved incomprehensibility.Edited to add - keeping it Johnson!
Surely you meant "keeping it UP Johnson ?"

"We are putting the lead back in the National Pencil ! "

Crace may profit later on from that one ... but then there is so much choice .
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

From the LiveThread, the precise phrasing

"" Johnson says he is worried Tories are losing confidence in freedom
Johnson says he wants to talk about his worries - particularly since this is just a fringe meeting that won’t be widely reported. (Lying Toad!)

He says he is worried the party is losing confidence in freedom.

Johnson says he is worried Tories are losing confidence in freedom.

He says his function is to “put some lead in the collective pencil”, with some humility.

Not in a spirit of jingo, he says.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Time for the evening shift I think?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Reminder of WTO terms --

But would labour vote for a seven and a half out of ten solution ? --

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

"Say what you like about Boris Johnson, he delivers a second-rate speech better than most other second-rate politicians, many of whom have been on show at the Tory party conference in Birmingham this week. But the bottom line is that Boris is essentially still second rate. A man who imagines himself to be a latter day Winston Churchill, but is nothing more than an ersatz Donald Trump with little to offer other than his own narcissism masquerading as cheap populism.

Yet in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king, and Johnson is what passes for stardust in the Brexit circles of the Tory party. A faint flicker, raging against the dying of the light, as he struggles to avoid being sucked into the black hole. And for his one scheduled appearance at a fringe event, hundreds of delegates were queueing outside the 1,500-seater hall some two hours before he was due on stage. This was the golden ticket. A message of hope for the hopeless."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... conference" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.
Frank_Bough

@frank_bough
15m15 minutes ago
More
Theresa May: "We will prevent unskilled workers coming from EU and will fill the gap by training British workers"

So, we're going to *train* British workers to have *no skills*?

Interesting concept.
:D

The point's been made elsewhere but those 'unskilled' workers are those who keep the care system and lower paid jobs in the NHS going.
Indeed - I can't help but take exception to the knowledge snobbery-laden concept of "unskilled" as opposed to differently skilled (as RoT and several others have noted above)
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Oh God. Andrea Leadsom. No grasp whatsoever of what's going on. And she doesn't even seem to grasp what a "reciprocal arrangement" is. (Seems to believe that it's some sort of free gift to be bestowed on us by the EU.)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 64726.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Straight couples to be allowed civil partnerships after law changed by government, Theresa May says
'bout time
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PorFavor wrote:Oh God. Andrea Leadsom. No grasp whatsoever of what's going on. And she doesn't even seem to grasp what a "reciprocal arrangement" is. (Seems to believe that it's some sort of free gift to be bestowed on us by the EU.)
sharpest.
drawer.
not.
etc.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

tinyclanger2 wrote:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 64726.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Straight couples to be allowed civil partnerships after law changed by government, Theresa May says
'bout time
Good news as far as it goes, though our PM has some previous form for saying she will do things and then being a bit slow to actually deliver on them.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Oh God. Andrea Leadsom. No grasp whatsoever of what's going on. And she doesn't even seem to grasp what a "reciprocal arrangement" is. (Seems to believe that it's some sort of free gift to be bestowed on us by the EU.)
sharpest.
drawer.
not.
etc.
Reciprocal is "Give and Take" .

Tory Brexit negotiating = We Take, You Give !

Couldn't be simpler, even a forriner could understand it .