Saturday 6th & Sunday 7th October 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Saturday 6th & Sunday 7th October 2018

Post by HindleA »

Morning

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fami ... eb23eeb0b9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Ministers are becoming increasingly alarmed about the rollout of universal credit after Esther McVey, the work and pensions secretary, confirmed privately to colleagues that millions of families would lose £200 a month under the new system.

Ms McVey told cabinet colleagues that half of lone parents and about two thirds of working-age couples with children would lose the equivalent of £2,400 a year.

The revelation will add to Tory angst about universal credit, which is being introduced in stages nationwide to replace existing benefits including tax credits and housing benefit.

The Treasury is expected to publish a consultation in the next few weeks about giving “breathing space” to people on low incomes who are in debt, partly as a result of universal credit.

Ministers are extremely sensitive about the reputation of the new system as a growing number of Tory MPs have to deal with cases in their constituency surgeries.

Charities such as the Trussell Trust have warned that plans to move the three million people who are receiving tax credits and disability benefits on to universal credit from April will trigger a vast increase in demand for food banks.

Ministers do not routinely talk in public about the downsides of the new benefit system, but it is understood that the subject is causing concern in cabinet meetings and that Ms McVey has spelt out the losses to colleagues in private.

The former chancellor George Osborne slashed the investment in universal credit shortly before he left office in order to achieve big welfare savings. However, the impact on people on low incomes has yet to be felt because most of them are still receiving benefits from old schemes and have yet to be moved across to the new system.

The Times understands that cabinet ministers discussed three areas of concern:

• The scale of the cuts facing low-income families. This is the first time that ministers have properly acknowledged the scale of the income drop facing millions of households.

• Fears that the new system, which involves one monthly payment, will cause cashflow problems for families. Previously individual benefits were paid at different points in the month.

• The new system will force low-income families to pay back far more “benefit debts”, which under the old system they were able to ignore.

Torsten Bell, director of the Resolution Foundation, an independent think tank, said that the government should own up to the fact that decisions made in 2015 and 2016 were about to cause misery for millions of people.

“Rolling out universal credit is the government’s single biggest domestic policy challenge,” he said. “Delivering it successfully would bring real improvements but was always going to be difficult, involving significant change for millions of benefit claimants. But it has been made much harder because of the major cuts to benefits that are taking place at the same time.”

The government is well behind on its targets for welfare savings set by Mr Osborne. The former chancellor set a target of £12 billion but only £4 billion has been found to date.

Mr Bell, a former Treasury official, called on ministers to reconsider their plans and to put more money into universal credit. “It’s very welcome that ministers are discussing in private the risks of this potentially toxic combination, but what we really need to see is action to halt the cuts to the benefits that low and middle-income families rely on, many of which are still to come,” he said. “For those families there is not much point telling them that austerity has ended while actively choosing to reduce their living standards.”

The Department for Work and Pensions did not comment."

"Work and Health programme"

"Early indications have shown that suppliers are trying to meet the standards at the expense of the claimant customer journey."

Stunned that kerching takes priority,tbh.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -standards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 6th & Sunday 7th October 2018

Post by frog222 »

Former watchdog chief labels disabled benefits process a ‘hostile environment’

Andrew McDonald, who chaired Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority, says system is ‘Kafka-esque’

” Andrew McDonald, 56, who ran the parliamentary body overseeing MPs expenses before retiring on health grounds, had his benefits stopped after assessors decided he was no longer ill enough to qualify for personal independence payment (PIP).

“I was shocked by the way this was being administered against the interests of some of the most disadvantaged people in the country,” he said. “PIP is beset by profound administrative failures which work to the disadvantage of disabled people.”
…………………

71% rejection of DWP decisions on appeal says it all , and the incompetent “health care professional” in this example is typical .

He's soon to have a brain op, obviously getting better .

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... nvironment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

HindleA wrote: “Delivering it successfully would bring real improvements
Govt propaganda brought to you by 'the Resolution Foundation, an independent think tank'.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Alexander Clarkson

@APHClarkson
17m17 minutes ago
More Alexander Clarkson Retweeted The Columnist
The Political Declaration is not a long term "Deal". It is a Potemkin facade to help the UK government save face and the EU to shove the UK out as quickly as possible. After March 2019 there will be all to play for. That's why Parliament will pass it
Another one who thinks we're in for Brexit without end.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

frog222 wrote:Image
Banksy auction prank leaves art world in shreds
Girl With Balloon was the final item in an auction at Sotheby’s in London on Friday night and its sale price equalled the artist’s previous auction record of £1.04m. However, shortly after the hammer came down on the item, the canvas suddenly passed through a shredder installed in the frame. Banksy posted an image on Instagram of the shredded work dangling from the bottom of the frame with the title “Going, going, gone …
_103737491_balloon.jpg
_103737491_balloon.jpg (22.95 KiB) Viewed 8495 times
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

gilsey wrote:
Alexander Clarkson

@APHClarkson
17m17 minutes ago
The Political Declaration is not a long term "Deal". It is a Potemkin facade to help the UK government save face and the EU to shove the UK out as quickly as possible. After March 2019 there will be all to play for. That's why Parliament will pass it
The EU's comments the other day have clearly set up the future, which is that things are as they have always been. We can't have a deal that divides off free movement of labour to exclusively stop it, or free movement of goods to exclusively allow it,but if we limit ourselves to a basic FTA now the door to a 'higher level' deal will remain open if we choose to accept the 'higher level' conditions.

I look forward to Gove, Rees-Mogg and the rest of them saying 'See - we can make a deal now and then change it later!'.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

gilsey wrote:
Alexander Clarkson

@APHClarkson
17m17 minutes ago
Oh, the very idea fills me with such joy :x
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:
Alexander Clarkson

@APHClarkson
17m17 minutes ago
Brexit without end seems inevitable. Those currently opposed are hardly going to change their minds and embrace Brexit after our economy inevitably dives as a consequence of it. The campaign to rejoin will commence the moment we're out and the arguments over the degree of closeness to the EU that should be pursued will likely continue for as long as the EU remains an integral and successful economic bloc. Being outside will always be undesirable. Those who pursue Brexit have never really wanted to be outside the EU, they dream of a future where the UK is cosied up to the mighty USA and there is no EU, just a clutch of vulnerable wealthy European countries ripe for exploitation and asset stripping. This is why the EU can't budge from their red lines. The integrity of the single market must come first, it's what protects Europe from the might of the global superpowers which would otherwise seek to crush them. No deal Brexit works in the interest of those whose main goal is destabilising the EU and Johnson and Rees-Mogg's pal Steve Bannon has made no secret of his aim to destroy the EU. Against this backdrop, never-ending friendly conversation with our neighbours under stable transition arrangements doesn't sound so very bad. If I could see a way of remaining in the EU without deepening divisions within the country I'd happily take it, but I can't, so I'll settle for Norway (or BINO or whatever you want to call it) remaining on the table as the alternatives are simply too dreadful to contemplate.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Is everybody watching football, or escaping from a nucular attack ?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

I read the Nick Cohens to see how long he can last before the Corbyn Jibe. With Marina it's to count up the references to TV shows, celebrities, and other cultural essentials whose existence is a complete mystery to me . Quite readable when she leaves them out .

" From what we read, Donald Trump could always get girls, and still can. Yet even at the age of nearly 60 he was recorded explaining how he just liked to “grab them by the pussy”. Is this what Adam Smith meant by “the invisible hand”?

Is there some market economist who could explain to me why this might be? I don’t want to fall into the trap of thinking that sexual assault is a question of power and violence, as opposed to being a matter of supply and demand. "

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... llegations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

What the bloody hell happened to Graham Linehan? Seemed to be a fairly sensible bloke, with his head screwed on, but he's turned into a trans-phobic wanker. He's now being sued over Twitter posts and an interview in The Times.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

refitman wrote:What the bloody hell happened to Graham Linehan? Seemed to be a fairly sensible bloke, with his head screwed on, but he's turned into a trans-phobic wanker. He's now being sued over Twitter posts and an interview in The Times.

He's been on a one man mission to expose what he believes to be the hijacking of parts of the transgender movement by some seriously worrying elements. There's a lot of truth to much of what he's been saying, but whether he has made a mistake in this latest clash I'm not sure. It's a bit of a minefield tbh, but some extremely aggressive attacks on feminists by those purporting to represent the trans community has left some, like Linehan, to worry that the advancement of trans rights seems to be at the direct expense of women's rights and that some are jumping on the band wagon not to help the former but to achieve the latter. Hence the accusation of hijacking. If true, clearly detrimental to the trans movement, as well as women, and so I get why Linehan feels moved to challenge some of the more aggressive attacks on women that have been happening on social media, but given how difficult it is to separate trolls from genuine accounts he was always risking something like this. I've been staying right away from the topic on Twitter myself which maybe provides a clue that something isn't quite right. Women shouldn't feel afraid to voice their opinions about things that affect them.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

frog222 wrote:Is everybody watching football, or escaping from a nucular attack ?
I've been unwell. Bit better now.
I think of you all here regardless of my logging in or not. I don't like being away from my friends here.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

MU 0 NEW 2
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Looking for cheer where I can as M'bro are now 4th.
Ledes are only 3rd though, so there's that. ;)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

frog222 wrote:Is everybody watching football, or escaping from a nucular attack ?

Did me regular Saturday shop and then went up to town to the library. There was a conference on there which I wasn't attending but managed to catch up with some people I last saw in Rome over two years ago.

And the Os won 2-0 away so last week seems to have been a minor blip.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Sali Hughes on Beauty Banks: 'A schoolchild thanked us for shower gel'
A year ago, my friend and I set up a way to help those unable to afford even toothpaste or tampons

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/201 ... ali-hughes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm grateful for the efforts of those in the article donating their time and resources supplying people with necessary items people don't have when they're living through Tory government. I'm grateful for the attention the topic receives.

Charities are what's left when governments decide they've no responsibility towards people they tax, profit from and disgracefully use. Tories love charities; they need social hierarchies. They require some people below and above because they've inadequate ego strength or are otherwise ignorant of the fact money can't buy anyone greater importance than another. Some like other people in poverty.

I don't like writing about this at all.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm not suggesting anyone in the article like others in poverty. I know from over eight years of Tory government Tory government do like others in poverty.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

MU 3 NEW 2
The truth ferret speaks!
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Pfft
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

refitman wrote:What the bloody hell happened to Graham Linehan? Seemed to be a fairly sensible bloke, with his head screwed on, but he's turned into a trans-phobic wanker. He's now being sued over Twitter posts and an interview in The Times.

Become a bit of a Centrist Dad more generally hasn't he, they generally aren't keen on transpeople.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 22.00.46.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 22.00.46.png (74.44 KiB) Viewed 8248 times
Of course, as those in power will remind us, America is not a democrary, it's a republic.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Labour voters should look afresh at the Conservatives - Theresa May article in the Guardian
I want voters who may previously have thought of themselves as Labour supporters to look at my government afresh. They will find a decent, moderate and patriotic programme that is worthy of their support
Translation services required
I have shown myself to be in hock to the most extreme right wing elements in my party. Our plan is to dismantle the National Health Service, dismantle what we have so far left of social security, dismantle the rights of people in the workplace and remove the curse of 'employment' from millions.
Given the invitation, Labour should arrange for their membership to join the Conservatives en masse and then shut them down.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Article in the Observer you mean, shurely?

(and yes, the difference may be significant in this case)
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Article in the Observer you mean, shurely?

You're probably right, it's just an article from the website and they stopped branding the Observer pages separately years ago.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

adam wrote:

You're probably right, it's just an article from the website and they stopped branding the Observer pages separately years ago.
I know, which is a decision which at times hasn't done the daily paper many favours.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
adam wrote:

I know, which is a decision which at times hasn't done the daily paper many favours.
Neither has employing Toby Helm.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

frog222 wrote:
Dailymotion doesn't embed.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

open letter To Theresa May
In an open letter to the prime minister on Sunday, organised by Bob Geldof and backed by dozens of pop, rock and classical heavyweights including Sheeran, Rita Ora, Damon Albarn, Jarvis Cocker, Simon Rattle, and Brian Eno, the sector makes an urgent call for a rethink on Brexit.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Ah yes, I'm sure that will make the vital difference :)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Ah yes, I'm sure that will make the vital difference :)
Quite.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I really didn't want to appear mean, but such a comeback pretty much wrote itself.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... p-campaign" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Theresa May is held in far higher regard by voters as a leader and a person than Boris Johnson, according to a detailed analysis conducted after the party conference season.

Not only do voters from all parties, including the Conservatives, clearly prefer May to Johnson as a Tory leader, but they also see the prime minister as more decent, decisive and trustworthy than the former foreign secretary
Being better than Boris Johnson is a pretty low bar, but confirmation here that May continues to do just enough to struggle on.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Caledonia’s lost forest to be restored to glory in £23m rewilding
This seems pathetically unambitious to me, £23m over 600 sq km? That's tiny, Highland Council area is 30,000. Lost forest restored to glory is a bit of an exaggeration.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Trustworthy isn't a word I'd use about May, and more trustworthy that Johnson is damning with faint praise.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

As pointed out frequently btl, William Keegan has been writing the same column for 2 years, which doesn't make it any less true.
The latest version.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ip-hammond" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the leaders of both main parties should take note of an article earlier this year in the journal of the Royal Economic Society by the veteran British economist Robert Neild. In To Tax or Not to Tax? The Truth about Taxation, Professor Neild tells it as it is: “In Britain public services are falling apart. Our health and social care services are deteriorating; crime rates are soaring, and so are violence and suicide in prisons; the quality of our schools is uneven and unfair; state pensions are miserly; poverty and homelessness are increasing … On all sides we are confronted by social injustice and economic neglect.”

Everyone, including my old Brexiter friend Lord Lawson, knows public services are much better on the continent. Why, Lawson has even taken up residence in France. Neild pinpoints the explanation: a preparedness to pay for public services. The tax take as a percentage of GDP is 40% on average in the EU and 47% in France. You get what you pay for! In the UK it is 35%.
http://www.res.org.uk/view/art2Jan18comment.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

And as has also been pointed out for the last 2 years, he is very eloquent on why Brexit is bad - less so on a realistic way that it can be averted.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

refitman wrote:
frog222 wrote:
Dailymotion doesn't embed.
If that means that you also got the offer of an episode of "Foyle's War" then, no - it doesn't!

Edited to add -

Although, being how times are likely to become . . .
Last edited by PorFavor on Sun 07 Oct, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

John McDonnell says universal credit needs to be scrapped

Shadow chancellor’s remarks follow warnings millions of families could lose £200 a month under the reformed benefits system (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... d-benefits
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

US Supreme Court's calendar for the time being is here. A surprising number of cases about Native American rights (deny them!), a few cases about the death penalty (just kill them now!) and the usual glut of very specific technical things about process and detail. There will now be a political movement to get a 'state's rights' abortion case up the ladder as soon as possible - not to deny abortion, of course not, they don't intend to do that, just to decide that it's not a federal issue and states can choose to do as they choose (which is the argument that Roe-v-Wade rejected).

I'm sure I read somewhere that there was a case effectively overturning Brown -v- Board of Education in Topeka (the 1954 case that said 'seperate is not equal' and abolished segregation in education) on the way up but I can't see it anywhere at the moment.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:And as has also been pointed out for the last 2 years, he is very eloquent on why Brexit is bad - less so on a realistic way that it can be averted.
His expertise is in economics, not politics.

No-one else has come up with anything realistic either. He thinks the govt should hold its hands up and say, we tried, it won't work, we're going to remain in the best interests of the country, and he's not alone in that view.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

It would be very nice if that happened, but it isn't going to.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PorFavor wrote:
John McDonnell says universal credit needs to be scrapped

Shadow chancellor’s remarks follow warnings millions of families could lose £200 a month under the reformed benefits system (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... d-benefits
McDonnell said: “We’ve looked and looked, we can’t see that either government’s or other proposals could reform it. It’s in shambles, and it’s actually iniquitous as well. To have government ministers being privately briefed that families are going to lose £200 a month, it’s just not acceptable.”
I'm a bit confused by this, the idea of a "private briefing". This cut was voted through parliament, it's never been a secret, every one knew this was coming. They just didn't know exactly when, because the universal credit roll out has been repeatedly delayed, but it was well known these cuts were passed in 2015 because there was such a big story about Osborne wanting to introduce them immediately for all families, including those still on child tax credits, and was voted down in the Lords which led to the decision to delay the cut by applying it just to universal credit which, at that point, had mostly only been rolled out to single people and childless couples. There was huge frustration in some quarters that these cuts and those to people on ESA weren't reversed in Labour's manifesto at the last election. McDonnell acting as if this is some kind of new revelation is perplexing.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Willow904 wrote: I'm a bit confused by this, the idea of a "private briefing". This cut was voted through parliament, it's never been a secret, every one knew this was coming.
The average tory MP knows as much about UC as they do about the complexities of international trade? Who'd have thunk it. :D
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The average politician,regardless
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Whether officially acknowledged or not at least confusion/caution in UC roll out of ESA if on PIP is to remain on legacy.