Thursday 11th October 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 11th October 2018

Post by PorFavor »

Revealed: two suicide attempts every day in UK deportation centres

FoI response reveals 22% rise in number trying to kill themselves in ‘inhumane’ detention
(Guardian)
Thank goodness there's now a Minister for that . . .

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... on-centres
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I expect everyone's gone off to make their preparations for tomorrow's wedding. (Bargain of the year.)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Speaking of bargains -
Donald Trump's UK visit cost police almost £18m

Thousands of officers were deployed across country after four-day trip sparked protests
(Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... 18-million
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Some light reading on the world's finances ---

" The problem with leveraged loans is that they have a low credit rating, and the rating resets — downward — if interest rates go up. And interest rates are going up. A lot of investors automatically sell their debt holdings when they get downrated — so this is a pile of $2.5 trillion in high-risk debt resting on a series of negative rating triggers.

If this sounds a lot like the junk-bond crisis of the late 1980s and early 1990s, that's because it is."

Hehe, here's another --

" 9. Britain: Brexit has left the world's 5th-largest economy without a plan
The UK is the fifth-largest economy on the planet and yet it does not have a functional economic or trade plan for after March 2019, when its break from the EU is due.

That's madness."

http://uk.businessinsider.com/why-globa ... me-2018-10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

PorFavor wrote:I expect everyone's gone off to make their preparations for tomorrow's wedding. (Bargain of the year.)
My "preparation" will be studiously avoiding any mention of it (as usual)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

I honestly didn't know there was a wedding .

Still don't know who it is.

Bliss.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:I expect everyone's gone off to make their preparations for tomorrow's wedding. (Bargain of the year.)
who's getting married?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

citizenJA wrote:
who's getting married?
Shhhhh! Don't clutter your brain :-)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

" I've heard Ivanka !"

Yeah, talking to yourself . Again .

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube]B-Zsd9tNcTU[/youtube]
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
My "preparation" will be studiously avoiding any mention of it (as usual)
I only became aware of it yesterday because I read an article about rough sleepers (you can probably guess the rest).
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

citizenJA wrote:
who's getting married?
One of Sarah Ferguson and Andrew Windsor's two daughters (sorry - I can't remember which one).
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I’m an ex-Northern Ireland secretary. The border must not block Brexit
- Owen Paterson

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... heresa-may" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May's article calling on Labour voters' support & Paterson's jackass effort are a perfect tango of
TORY STUPID
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
who's getting married?
One of Sarah Ferguson and Andrew Windsor's two daughters (sorry - I can't remember which one).
:rock:
whatever

thank you
:heart:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'm wondering how Theresa May's meeting went this evening. I haven't heard anything. Could still be going on?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:I'm wondering how Theresa May's meeting went this evening. I haven't heard anything. Could still be going on?
I think they do get high on Lambrini & exchange fashion tips
he heaped scorn on Tim over it but you know how cross Mr. Pie can be
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The fundamental inaccuracies in Owen Patterson's article make it scary
what are Tory plans for country and people
short rations, labour rotas and living in squalid dorms
perpetual austerity for perpetual Tory government
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Sorry about missing the last couple of weeks but I'm back watching Question Time so you don't have to.

Tonight it was from Hollyrood which I'm sure you all know is the home of the Scottish Parliament in Edinburgh. After witnessing Scotland's earlier humiliation in Israel it was a relief to have a wee bit of pride restored by the most civilised debate Question Time has managed in quite a while.

An example of that being what a genuine pleasure it was having politicians openly discussing what a disaster Brexit will be and that they were doing everything they could to stop it without being shouted down by lunatics in the audience.

For the Tories we had a comical wee shite called Ross Thomson, Ross is apparently 31 and looks about 12, according to Wikipedia he also apparently has a first class MA which allowed him to work in customer services at the Bank of Scotland before entering politics. This ultimately led to him being laughed at by the audience of Question Time tonight and hopefully the people of Aberdeen wondering what the fuck they had done in voting for him. A staunch Unionist and Brexiter who supports Theresa May as long as she does what he wants. I always said those hoping saint Ruthie and her merry band of imbeciles would put a brake on Brexit were in for a nasty surprise and along comes Ross to prove my point.

Also on the right we had Fraser Nelson whom I'm sure you all know and love. In England Fraser mostly goes down well as despite his bizarre accent he usually manages to play a man of the people role and try to appear as if he's damning all politicians from a position in the middle ground. The problem with trying that in Scotland is that people actually know who he is and what kind of politics he espouses. Consequently this evening he didn't get the easy ride or applause he usually does in England and looked somewhat miffed about it.

For Labour we had good old Kezia Dugdale. Who, believe it or not, was actually pretty good. She said all the right things about Universal Credit and Brexit and demonstrated why on her day she's a pretty effective politician and an asset to the Labour party. It's just a shame those days are so often interspersed by many other days where she's none of those things.

The SNP was represented by Mike Russell who is effectively the Scottish Parliament's minister for holding Westminister's feet to the fire during Brexit. And he was excellent, not just on the insanity of Brexit but on the folly of Universal credit. He actually seemed to know what he was talking about rather than offering the usual vagueries and bullshit. A class of politician sadly missing south of the border.

And then we come to the star of the show Val McDermid, I've never read a single one of her books, I'm not one for crime fiction, but that woman is an absolute gem. She just cuts through the bullshit with minimal effort and considerable wit. I'd love to have a drink or ten with her.

So in conclusion, tonight we had an example of why Scotland is great and England, currently, sucks. A flourishing inclusive democracy above the border and an exclusive democratically dessicated one below it.

Maybe that's why there were no red faced shouty people in the audience.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I often wonder what the fuck I'm doing living in England. It was the usual story that led me here, university, woman, job. Then no job. No woman. What the fuck am I still doing here?

And the answer is friends. Or a 'support network' as I believe it's currently described.

Takes years and a great deal of effort and luck to replace.