Friday 12th October 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 12th October 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 12th October 2018

Post by Willow904 »

Morning. "Nice day for a white wedding"

[youtube]AAZQaYKZMTI[/youtube]

That's sarcasm, btw. It's an absolutely horrible day today down in the SW, just in case you were thinking we were bucking what I believe will be the general trend today. Very wet and windy.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Maybe working continuous nights does have health/mental consequences;eating a "savoury snack biscuit" 'wondering why the abbreviation of the Trades Union Congress is on it.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

imgres.jpg
imgres.jpg (9.83 KiB) Viewed 6444 times
cake! Cherry stalks instead of candles :)

xx

double cake, can't quite work out why, never mind. More cake!
Attachments
imgres.jpg
imgres.jpg (9.83 KiB) Viewed 6444 times
I still believe in a town called Hope
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... conference" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Speech

Damian Hinds speech at Confederation of School Trusts conference
Education Secretary speaks at launch of Confederation of School Trusts to praise the diversity and accountability of academies.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Open consultation

Directions for integrated care providers (ICPs)

https://consultations.dh.gov.uk/commiss ... irections/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... iders-icps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.
HindleA wrote:https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... conference

Speech

Damian Hinds speech at Confederation of School Trusts conference
Education Secretary speaks at launch of Confederation of School Trusts to praise the diversity and accountability of academies.
I get so bored with having to point this out...
As the Freedom and Autonomy for Schools National Association, for some years now you have worked alongside government to make sure more schools and school leaders have the freedom to make the best decisions on behalf of their pupils and their communities.

Under the leadership of Leora Cruddas, I know the next few years will be just as productive. And I know – new name aside – you will continue to be an important voice for the autonomy and for the benefit of multi-academy trusts
The reason that Cruddas has re-positioned and renamed her org is that schools in MATs don't have freedom!
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Thanks to sky for the QT review. I usually turn it on towards the end and promptly turn it off again but last night it was so unusual I watched the rest of it. Knowledgeable people in the audience and a conspicuous absence of applause.

They were talking about drugs and Ross Thomson said it was easier to get cocaine delivered through an app on your phone, than a pizza, cue people on twitter asking how he knows.

Re Kezia Dugdale, there's a video of her speaking at the Scottish Parliament about the 'rape clause' which is outstanding, always good to see Ruth Davidson squirming.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

EU makes direct appeal to Northern Irish firms on Brexit backstop
business leaders in Belfast said they believed the EU deal could be a “life jacket” for the region and avert a no-deal disaster.

“They said they think this is an amazing deal you are getting, something nobody else in the world has even been offered,” said Seamus Leheny, the director of policy at the Freight Transport Association of Northern Ireland, who was at the meeting.

EU sources have separately expressed deep frustration that their message is being drowned out by narratives in Belfast and London. “We have been incredibly flexible, we are breaking our single market rules just because of the unique position of Northern Ireland. This has never been offered to anyone else and will not be offered in the future,” said a source.
“The DUP was always seen as the party of business, and if the business community says we need a backstop solution, maybe they think it will be harder for the DUP to block a deal,” said Leheny.

The Northern Ireland Retail Consortium (NIRC), which also attended the meeting, said the deal on the table was uniquely beneficial to Northern Ireland’s economy, which would suffer disproportionately from Brexit.

The DUP has warned it will vote against any deal that involves checks between Northern Ireland and Britain, with Sammy Wilson, the DUP MP for East Antrim, accusing the EU of performing a “confidence trick” on May.
What a can of worms Cameron opened.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

"Life jacket" -- most interesting !

---------------------------------------------------------

Very windy here but now dry, and strangely, 24° forecast for this afternoon !

A friend told me the other day that an onshore wind can blow scallops into shallow water, low tide is at 5 so I may have a ‘prowl’ …

Has this always been standard or is it a new invention ? —

The signatories to contracts must undertake to “pay the utmost regard to the standing and reputation” of the Work and Pensions Secretary, the newspaper reported, adding that they must “not do anything which may attract adverse publicity” to her, damage her reputation, or harm the public’s confidence in her.

Difficult to imagine how to punish offenders , at least in the short term .

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 80056.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

frog222 wrote:"Life jacket" -- most interesting !

---------------------------------------------------------

Very windy here but now dry, and strangely, 24° forecast for this afternoon !

A friend told me the other day that an onshore wind can blow scallops into shallow water, low tide is at 5 so I may have a ‘prowl’ …

Has this always been standard or is it a new invention ? —

The signatories to contracts must undertake to “pay the utmost regard to the standing and reputation” of the Work and Pensions Secretary, the newspaper reported, adding that they must “not do anything which may attract adverse publicity” to her, damage her reputation, or harm the public’s confidence in her.

Difficult to imagine how to punish offenders , at least in the short term .

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 80056.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't know is the short answer. But the wording suggests that it's been newly-made, and tailor-made for the current post-holder.

Edited to tidy up
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PF -- I was wondering if any similar previous draftings were for 'he' or 'their' ...
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

McVile has been a hated figure for some time now .
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

frog222 wrote:McVile has been a hated figure for some time now .
Just ask our AH about that.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

I enjoyed this one from the LT on the bbc's er excessive even-handedness

" hundredhander @ OhGoodGrief 2h ago

''So, Adolf, people say that you're an extremist, what would you say to the One Show viewers....?!''

( I was working on a variation of that one myself .. and with much company I'm sure . )
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

frog222 wrote:PF -- I was wondering if any similar previous draftings were for 'he' or 'their' ...
Yes, that's what I was getting at - "their" would suggest that it existed previously - but it is specific in that it says "she", rather than simply carrying over the more general "their" or other non-personalised wording.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

" Just ask our AH about that. "

No need I assure you :-)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

frog222 wrote:I enjoyed this one from the LT on the bbc's er excessive even-handedness

" hundredhander @ OhGoodGrief 2h ago

''So, Adolf, people say that you're an extremist, what would you say to the One Show viewers....?!''

( I was working on a variation of that one myself .. and with much company I'm sure . )
Too close to the truth for comfort, that's for sure :evil:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Oh - good morfternoon.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Fracking now to go ahead (tomorrow) in Lancashire.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:Fracking now to go ahead (tomorrow) in Lancashire.
Not unexpected, but still........

On the same topic, I see that the judge who recently jailed anti-fracking protesters has links to energy companies.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AK -- a link please ! For my antifracking sister .
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

frog222 wrote:AK -- a link please ! For my antifracking sister .
I found this Mail article -
Revealed: Judge who jailed 'Fracking Three' for climbing on lorries at drilling site has family links to oil and gas firms - and sister said 'give shale a chance' in letter backing controversial process (Mail)
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... firms.html

I hope it goes some way to fitting the bill. I found it by "Googling" 'anti-fracking protesters jailed', so there may well be other\better stuff out there.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Ha! My last post had (unintentional) echoes of SpinningHugo. Sorry about that . . .
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

SH is still quite busy on Twitter, for anybody who may miss them. Don't all rush at once, now......
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Adam Payne

Verified account

@adampayne26
Follow Follow @adampayne26
More
Exclusive: Theresa May given the weekend to change her backstop plan or face losing Andrea Leadsom, Esther McVey and Peddy Mordaunt from Cabinet
http://uk.businessinsider.com/theresa-m ... ns-2018-10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jack of Diamonds #FBPE ❄️

@Tonybirte
19m19 minutes ago
More
Replying to @adampayne26
Could be worse, they could stay..
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:SH is still quite busy on Twitter, for anybody who may miss them. Don't all rush at once, now......
I muted them a while back as they kept cropping up, mentioned by people I follow and otherwise respect.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2018/10 ... lying-game" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I sincerely hope Ian Dunt is right and the endgame is near.
Who can take much more of this?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Bill Browder

Verified account

@Billbrowder
Follow Follow @Billbrowder
More Bill Browder Retweeted RynheartTheReluctant
This is truly dramatic, if true. The murder of Jamal Khashoggi was allegedly recorded on his Apple watch and transmitted outside.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Let's have a resume of all those newspaper pieces telling us the present Saudi monarch was a great "reformer", shall we?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Hello, everyone
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Hello, citizen

I went to the beach, discovered a hip didn't appreciate that much walking, and picked up ONE clam !

Now to read this afternoon's gems. Including -- " hairy-prospect-of-us-food-rules-and-a-taxing-eamonn-holmes-royal-wedding"

Crace's week https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... al-wedding" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Anybody for the night shift then?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]FrkEDe6Ljqs[/youtube]
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I saw an interview with Philip Hammond today where (I paraphrase) he claimed that Theresa May had said that austerity would be over when we'd sorted out "Brexit" and got a deal finalised. I don't remember hearing her put it in those terms. Anyone else?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

PorFavor wrote:I saw an interview with Philip Hammond today where (I paraphrase) he claimed that Theresa May had said that austerity would be over when we'd sorted out "Brexit" and got a deal finalised. I don't remember hearing her put it in those terms. Anyone else?
. . and they say he hasn't got a sense of humour.