Wednesday 31st October 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Wednesday 31st October 2018

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

PTB
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Here!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

My PTB was Please Turn Back, because I had nothing useful to say and for some reason my twitter isn't working ;-)

But now you're here JA please don't turn back!
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Everybody in bed at sunset ? :-)

The term Fake News , which we could equally call Lying Press “Lügenpresse” has a long and horrible history going back to the 19C and even rare uses before that .

Donald Trump borrows from the old tricks of fascism Timothy Snyder
'The idea that the powerful are victims who must be coddled arose in a setting that recalls the United States of today'

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... pittsburgh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The attraction of the Nazi conspiracy thinking is that we can feel like victims when we attack. Its vulnerability is that the world is full of facts. Hence Hitler’s hostility to journalism. In the Germany of the early 1930s, the newspaper industry was suffering after a financial crisis. Hitler and other Nazis used the idea of the “Lügenpresse” (“fake news”) to attack remaining journalists who were trying to report the facts. In Germany and Austria today, the far right once more speaks of the Lügenpresse, in part because the American president has made the idea respectable. The extreme right in Germany and Austria knows perfectly well that “fake news” is American English for Lügenpresse. ”

Very good .

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/the-omi ... -1.5438960" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

CRACE Corbyn and Maybot, the love story, as revealed in peculiar interpretive dance

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... tive-dance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

frog222 wrote:Everybody in bed at sunset ? :-)
Hope that my review didn't send them to sleep :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An article in the Guardian by the chair of the DCMS committee Damian Collins and it's quite extraordinary. If anyone can recall anything similar happening to this in the past I'd be curious to hear because it's off the scale nuts:
Arron Banks, the chairman of Leave.EU, has taken the unusual step of writing to each household in my parliamentary constituency of Folkestone and Hythe, telling them that I am a “disgrace” and a “snake in the grass”. He claims that “I have never respected the result of the [Brexit] referendum.” However, he is unable to point to anything in my voting record in parliament to substantiate his assertion.
I mean this is seriously not normal, surely?!
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Willow904 wrote:https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ssion=true An article in the Guardian by the chair of the DCMS committee Damian Collins and it's quite extraordinary. If anyone can recall anything similar happening to this in the past I'd be curious to hear because it's off the scale nuts:
Arron Banks, the chairman of Leave.EU, has taken the unusual step of writing to each household in my parliamentary constituency of Folkestone and Hythe, telling them that I am a “disgrace” and a “snake in the grass”. He claims that “I have never respected the result of the [Brexit] referendum.” However, he is unable to point to anything in my voting record in parliament to substantiate his assertion.
I mean this is seriously not normal, surely?!
Accusing him of "sharing a platform with a Gdn journalist" I found significant too ... see my 6.14 on that . Somebody should be doing forensic work on his accounts, surely ?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Willow904 wrote:It's just all over the place.

Saying they wouldn't put up income tax from where it was during the 2017 election doesn't stop them from opposing a tax cut now or forces them to maintain that cut in a future manifesto. Labour doesn't need to commit to a tax policy at all, they're in opposition.

Besides, I don't really agree with their taxing "top 5% and corporations" only policy more generally. Tory tax erosion is a huge problem building up for the future and consequently such a commitment is going to seriously tie their hands if they ever get into power.
I must admit that it's a bit Harmanesque.

Edited - typo
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@PaulfromYorkshire

Saboteur!
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PorFavor wrote:
Willow904 wrote:It's just all over the place. Saying they wouldn't put up income tax from where it was during the 2017 election doesn't stop them from opposing a tax cut now or forces them to maintain that cut in a future manifesto. Labour doesn't need to commit to a tax policy at all, they're in opposition. Besides, I don't really agree with their taxing "top 5% and corporations" only policy more generally. Tory tax erosion is a huge problem building up for the future and consequently such a commitment is going to seriously tie their hands if they ever get into power.
I must admit that it's a bit Harmanesque.
Also, now that we have these 'computer' things I find the old system of tax bands rather crazy when you could smooth taxes out with a sliding scale ? The same applies to benefits payments to those unemployed finding part-time work .
Or have I missed something ??
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Home Office tells Northern Irish woman to prove right to live in Belfast

Gemma Capparelli left in limbo after applying for residency documents for US husband

The Home office has told a woman born and brought up in Northern Ireland she needs to provide proof that she is entitled to permanent residency in Belfast after she applied for a residency document for her American husband.

Gemma Capparelli, 36, has just returned to Northern Ireland with her Chicago-born husband Dominic, 38, and their 10-year-old son, after living abroad for more than a decade.(Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... in-belfast
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
frog222 wrote:Everybody in bed at sunset ? :-)
Hope that my review didn't send them to sleep :)
Nope
:rock:
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Return to ...

Jaywick !

But the repuglicans have an old photo ... https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ump-advert" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

https://discussion.theguardian.com/comm ... /122074566" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fishgirl23's list of Trump inciting physical violence .
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Universal credit rollout loading 'unreasonable risk' on to claimants

Government adviser Sir Ian Diamond warns thousands could be pushed into hardship

The government’s expert adviser on social security has warned that the next phase in the rollout of universal credit could see thousands of claimants pushed into hardship or even fall out of the benefit system altogether.

Sir Ian Diamond, the chair of the Social Security Advisory Committee (SSAC), a formal body providing advice to the work and pensions secretary, said plans to move 3 million people to the benefit from next year loaded an “unreasonable level of risk” on to claimants. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -claimants

But, as I'm sure we all agree, it's a good idea in principle. It's just a shame that it'll never work in practice . . .
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Police taking legal action against the Tories, surely the traditional Party of Law 'an Order ? :-)

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... udget-cuts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As a change from Trumpology , some GOPology .

The gleeful redistricting of swathes of the US to give them an unjustified majority of seats .
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA