Monday 5th November 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 5th November 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 5th November 2018

Post by HindleA »

Ever decisive,I couldn't make my mind up on what cereal to have,so I had three,or more correctly two bowls of each and six slices of toast.Some kind of the more I eat the more weight I lose.I blame the Tories.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

And four mars bars on the way home,but doesn't count.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://england.shelter.org.uk/support_ ... -christmas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Fair enough Tories must take responsibility for being misanthropic shits
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Consistently,you would think they would have a day off.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Useful tweeters from Gilsey and ROT last night
https://twitter.com/sime0nstylites?lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://twitter.com/jimwaterson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My strayed cat is now on a diet . He was becoming rotund, wheezing and very lazy !
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

This thread was the one picked up by wee Nicky.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:This thread was the one picked up by wee Nicky.
Interesting thread but kind of misses the point that we're negotiating a withdrawal agreement not a final deal. That there's a strong possibility the final destination will significantly change from the silliness currently being offered by May once we have left and are in transition isn't really explored. As far as I can tell the two options agreeable to the EU that the thread refers to will both still be on the table post-exit in March. The fact this deal doesn't nail down which pragmatic option we're likely to end up with in the end isn't helpful and extends the uncertainty but it also means nothing is ruled out apart from a hard Irish border, which is something we have to rule out because of the Good Friday Agreement.

As for no one liking the deal, that's pretty inevitable really. The grass is always greener on the other side....
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

The Web of Evil

@webofevil
3h3 hours ago
More The Web of Evil Retweeted Jon Worth
The dilemma facing hard-rightwingers is a familiar one but as urgent as ever: should they let their defining feature be their hostility, their duplicity or their staggering ignorance?
This was aimed at Raab but true in so many contexts.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Willow904 wrote:
Interesting thread but kind of misses the point that we're negotiating a withdrawal agreement not a final deal.
I thought that was his point really. Here we are, leaving the EU with a-deal-that-isn't-a-deal, and no-one to say stop.
The Columnist

@Sime0nStylites
Nov 3
More
11. Does the Deal represent the ‘will of the people’? Now I’m a will of the people sceptic but does anyone think that an indeterminate transition, no clue re future relationship, and possible *temporary* CU Brexit is remotely close to what people voted for?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Wanting things that don't exist is cute in 5 year olds writing their Christmas lists but less attractive in full grown adults in charge of a country.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Willow904 wrote:Wanting things that don't exist is cute in 5 year olds writing their Christmas lists but less attractive in full grown adults in charge of a country.
True since long before 2016.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Boris having another tantrum over this purported "deal" :roll: :D
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
Interesting thread but kind of misses the point that we're negotiating a withdrawal agreement not a final deal.
I thought that was his point really. Here we are, leaving the EU with a-deal-that-isn't-a-deal, and no-one to say stop.
The Columnist

@Sime0nStylites
Nov 3
More
11. Does the Deal represent the ‘will of the people’? Now I’m a will of the people sceptic but does anyone think that an indeterminate transition, no clue re future relationship, and possible *temporary* CU Brexit is remotely close to what people voted for?
Because people have only ever voted against things - against remaining in the EU, against hard Brexit - it's difficult to know what they would vote for.

From that perspective a further vote - GE or referendum - appears called for. I'm not convinced the right question or honest options would be put forward, though, so even then we may not get a true answer to "what do people want?"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

Thanks to citizenJA and adam for responding to my musings (yesterday) on the USA. Whilst I recognise that the President thing is because of the US's history, I contend that it's not fit for the present day. Similarly, their gun laws and their electoral system.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:Wanting things that don't exist is cute in 5 year olds writing their Christmas lists but less attractive in full grown adults in charge of a country.
Leadership have willfully and voluntarily placed people and country in a bad place. We're relying on current food, medicine and income arrangements; there's no realistic way most people can prepare for Brexit changes. Look at NAO reports and other reputable sources of information. Leadership can't not know their senseless dithering isn't causing people anxiety. They know and don't care or worse, they're intentionally cultivating anxiety in order to fob off an inferior and diminished life for most people.

"It probably won't get that bad; government won't let it get so terrible. Right?"

Look at their policies and leadership for 8.5 years; look at them now, daily. They've placed people and nation into an unforgivably dangerous place.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

A really good Twitter thread in response to Matt Hancock's "please stop getting ill as a result of poverty and environmental pollution we are responsible for so we can spend less on the NHS and more on tax cuts, thanks" (I'm sure there are many more good responses to this ridiculous drivel):

citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

Thanks to citizenJA and adam for responding to my musings (yesterday) on the USA. Whilst I recognise that the President thing is because of the US's history, I contend that it's not fit for the present day. Similarly, their gun laws and their electoral system.
I agree with you.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:A really good Twitter thread in response to Matt Hancock's "please stop getting ill as a result of poverty and environmental pollution we are responsible for so we can spend less on the NHS and more on tax cuts, thanks" (I'm sure there are many more good responses to this ridiculous drivel):

Indeed there are, "Theresa May should take personal responsibility for her own diabetes" being one of them.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:A really good Twitter thread in response to Matt Hancock's "please stop getting ill as a result of poverty and environmental pollution we are responsible for so we can spend less on the NHS and more on tax cuts, thanks" (I'm sure there are many more good responses to this ridiculous drivel):

Hancock sounds like he doesn't give a damn about most people he shares time and world with. His cavalier remarks are disturbing.

edited
attempting coherence
Last edited by citizenJA on Mon 05 Nov, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

citizenJA wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.
I agree with you.
Good one from Joseph Stiglitz on that huge subject --
" “One of the reasons I wrote [The Price of Inequality] is almost as a warning to other countries,” he says.

“Some of the forces attacking what I would call the social order … those who are shortsighted and in the 1%, know that what they want is contrary to what would evolve in a functioning democracy.

<b>“Most Americans want a higher minimum wage, they want gun control, they want access to healthcare, they want stronger financial regulation – the polling on some of these issues is, you know, 75% or more – and yet our democracy can’t deliver it.</b>

“Those on the other side have to undermine democracy if they’re going to thwart the will of such a large majority, so they undermine it by disenfranchisement and disempowerment.”"

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -countries" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I've thought long on a few things I'll attempt communicating here. I'm often anxious these days and my creative abilities are taking a hit.

Pollution, climatic changes, and disease (not a comprehensive list, just examples) don't respect national boundaries. Human beings (all life) always relied upon the one environment but that reality seems in greater relief now. Global cooperative effort is required.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Nation-states are all very well but we're one species living on this one planet and there's no getting away from that
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:Nation-states are all very well but we're one species living on this one planet and there's no getting away from that
Simple but profound, I like it.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

McVile's Mystery Millions , H/T Fishgirl23.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

McVile to speak to the Commons later on, 4.15 ish.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Nation-states are all very well but we're one species living on this one planet and there's no getting away from that
Yes and worth bearing in mind that it's only relatively recently that nation states have become the norm.

There's no historical reason to think they should just endure.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Willow904 wrote: I'm not convinced the right question or honest options would be put forward, though, so even then we may not get a true answer to "what do people want?"
I think Chris Grey had the right idea, the trick will be to get a true answer to 'what do people not want'. Run the same question again. Don't vote for Remain, vote against the deal-that-isn't-a-deal with all its uncertainties. And if you still want to Leave then I guess the rest of us deserve it for sharing the country with you. :)
Not meaning you personally, of course.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Transport department to use element of chance to allocate scarce haulage permits needed in event of no deal Brexit

The Department for Transport has issued a paper today (pdf) about how permits could be issued to hauliers to allow them to operate on the continent after Brexit. It says it hopes that there will be a deal and that permits will not be necessary. But in the event of there being no Brexit deal, hauliers will need permits - and the number of ECMT [European Conference of Ministers of Transport] permits available is much, much smaller than the number of hauliers who might want one (only 5% of the total, according to one estimate).

The paper explains how ECMT permits would be allocated. Various criteria will be used. But there will also be a random element, the paper says, to increase the number of haulage companies that benefit. (Politics Live, Guardian)
I foresee no problems whatsoever.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

A “no deal safety net unit” is being rushed through by Scotland Yard at a cost of more than £2.4m after police chiefs warned the home secretary that losing EU tools would make it harder to track sex offenders and terrorist suspects, according to internal police documents. (Politics Live, Guardian)
It's nice to know that we can afford all these "little extras".
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Yet they actively penalise those who do take responsibility,only legal action prevented receivers of CA not being subject to being capped,strenuously defend discretion as to obvious necessary rooms for care,homeowners daring not to move from adapted houses they can't move from to non existing alternatives..cont'd on page 92.
Last edited by HindleA on Mon 05 Nov, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Adam Payne

Verified account

@adampayne26
48m48 minutes ago
More
Caroline Nokes says UK employers will NOT need to carry out additional checks on EU citizens in a no deal Brexit, contradicting what she told the Home Affairs Select Committee last week.
Shambolic.

These sort of issues should have been decided two years ago - months away from Brexit and they're still changing their mind from week to week.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Not sure if some people are on the same planet,me as an obvious example.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Removing the Tories would certainly improve my health immeasureably,so I am taking responsibility.
Last edited by HindleA on Mon 05 Nov, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:McVile to speak to the Commons later on, 4.15 ish.
Anything of interest?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Thank you
:rock:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Yes and worth bearing in mind that it's only relatively recently that nation states have become the norm.

There's no historical reason to think they should just endure.
Exactly. I edited my post. It contained a rambling discourse on the migrating human throughout the specie's existence.

I had a wonderful conversation with a cab driver this afternoon on the topic. We come from entirely different parts of the world, different cultures but we both look for goodness, cooperation and cheerful conversation out and about. I'm always meeting wonderful people!

Mind you, sometimes others have a lot on their minds, you know? I can stay quiet too. Maybe we'll talk some other time or we'll simply nod at each other companionably and that's it; that's okay.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
Transport department to use element of chance to allocate scarce haulage permits needed in event of no deal Brexit
---
...there will also be a random element, the paper says, to increase the number of haulage companies that benefit. (Politics Live, Guardian)
I foresee no problems whatsoever.
(cJA edit)

oh my gracious lord
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I guess I'll go look at what McVey said
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I notice that No 10 states that Theresa May and Leo Varadkar had a "constructive" conversation. I further note that Leo Varadkar's office doesn't say anything of the sort.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Hammond suggests that, if there is no Brexit deal, spending commitments made in this year’s budget could be abandoned.

Q: No 10 said all these promises would be honoured, irrespective of whether or not there is a deal. That is not what you are saying.

Hammond does not accept there is an inconsistency. (Politics Live, Guardian)
In what way is there no inconsistency\lie?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Nothing has changed
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Dan Bloom

Verified account

@danbloom1
2h2 hours ago
More
CONFIRMED:

Old-style benefits will continue for 2 weeks - helping bridge the gap between payments. These are income-based Jobseekers' Allowance and ESA, and Income Support.

1 reply 10 retweets 5 likes
Reply 1 Retweet 10 Like 5 Direct message

Dan Bloom

Verified account

@danbloom1
Follow Follow @danbloom1
More
CONFIRMED:

A one-month deadline to claim will be extended to three months and people won't be penalised for missing it by up to a month.

Dan Bloom

Verified account

@danbloom1
2h2 hours ago
More
CONFIRMED:

Advance loans which help people bridge the gap will only be clawed back at 30% of benefits per month, not 40%. The payback period will extend from 12 to 16 months from October 2021.

1 reply 9 retweets 2 likes
Reply 1 Retweet 9 Like 2 Direct message

Dan Bloom

Verified account

@danbloom1
2h2 hours ago
More
CONFIRMED:

Existing business owners who move onto UC will get a new one-year "grace period" exempting them from the "Minimum Income Floor". This limits claimants to getting no more benefits than they would get if they were on minimum wage - even if they're making a loss.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
Hammond suggests that, if there is no Brexit deal, spending commitments made in this year’s budget could be abandoned.

Q: No 10 said all these promises would be honoured, irrespective of whether or not there is a deal. That is not what you are saying.

Hammond does not accept there is an inconsistency. (Politics Live, Guardian)
In what way is there no inconsistency\lie?
Labour are more inconsistent
Ha!
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I'm sure all present and future UC claimants will be falling over themselves to thank the govt for its generosity.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Re: McVey's Commons Statement
is that it?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

T'was wife's day off today...except that she got an email this morning requesting her presence at a meeting from 2-3pm.

So off she goes...phone call at 4:50 - "I'm still here"...

...and I'm still waiting. Dinner's in the oven on low...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
gilsey wrote:McVile to speak to the Commons later on, 4.15 ish.
Anything of interest?
No

edited to add
I've turned the page
:rock:
Last edited by citizenJA on Mon 05 Nov, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.