Thursday 8th November 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 8th November 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 8th November 2018

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... de-lottery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Without question the benefit freeze was immoral,that there is even debate/wariness of saying ending is a stain on politicos of all persuasion.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

I'm pretty sure I woke up to the sound of Toby Young saying that there shouldn't be a trawl of anything that people wrote on social media and in the media when they were young.

Roger Scruton is 74...and therefore young up to about 1962ish...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

I'm pretty sure I woke up to the sound of Toby Young saying that there shouldn't be a trawl of anything that people wrote on social media and in the media when they were young.

Roger Scruton is 74...and therefore young up to about 1962ish...
I have a good deal of sympathy with the idea that you might have a right for what happened before you were x to be forgotten, it's just that Young has several times used this as an argument for why responsible adults should get away with talking online like drunk 17 year olds just in from a long night out.
I still believe in a town called Hope
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

The BBC aren't giving a lot of credence to White House accusations that Jim Accosta put "his hands on" a female intern, describing the contact as "brushing against her arm" on News24 this morning and drawing attention to the apparent doctored nature of the clip tweeted by Sarah Sanders.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46133268" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

indeed Trump seems quite rattled, his latest actions appearing impulsive and defensive rather than thought through. It seems reasonable to assume, for instance, that Mueller and Rosenstein would have considered what might happen if Sessions went. Certain investigations have already been turned over to authorities beyond Trump's reach and prosecution of those already indicted will continue. This story definitely appears to be entering its final stages. Just how close the investigation has got to Trump must surely soon become apparent.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:Without question the benefit freeze was immoral,that there is even debate/wariness of saying ending is a stain on politicos of all persuasion.
If you freeze benefits that are meant to provide the bare minimum someone needs to live on you are knowingly and deliberately leaving people without enough to live on. At the very least, if arguing a previous administration was too generous, you would be willing to do cumulative impact assessments to make sure you don't inadvertently leave someone without enough to live on.
Do the government still do their "how to feed yourself on 'x' amount" pages? I rather doubt they can still illustrate how you are able to live healthily on current benefit levels, even with the absurd assumption they always make about everyone living within walking distance of a competitively priced fresh produce market (which, of course, many people don't).
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/he ... orking-age" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Willow904 wrote:The BBC aren't giving a lot of credence to White House accusations that Jim Accosta put "his hands on" a female intern, describing the contact as "brushing against her arm" on News24 this morning and drawing attention to the apparent doctored nature of the clip tweeted by Sarah Sanders.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46133268" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

indeed Trump seems quite rattled, his latest actions appearing impulsive and defensive rather than thought through. It seems reasonable to assume, for instance, that Mueller and Rosenstein would have considered what might happen if Sessions went. Certain investigations have already been turned over to authorities beyond Trump's reach and prosecution of those already indicted will continue. This story definitely appears to be entering its final stages. Just how close the investigation has got to Trump must surely soon become apparent.
From the way he talked about how the Democrats taking control of the House, several people suggested that he simply doesn't understand what this means in terms of committee leadership and control of the legislative agenda.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Raab giving Trump a run for his money in the not understanding stakes.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

A response to the above. Well said that man.

Chris Addison

Verified account

@mrchrisaddison
Follow Follow @mrchrisaddison
More Chris Addison Retweeted Will Straw
We are being led by absolute fucking morons. Ideological fire in their bellies, two pounds of blancmange in their heads. Useless, stupid, self-pleased donkeys wreaking utter havoc because they’re too arrogant and dumb to realise. Fuck every single one of them.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

gilsey wrote:Raab giving Trump a run for his money in the not understanding stakes.
I thought he was one of the Tory right's "intellectuals"?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

He's taken on new information and adjusted his understanding - a Tory intellectual heavyweight by any standards surely :D
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I mean, Roger Scruton??

What on earth made anybody in the government think he would be an appropriate authority on housing, even regardless of his various "foibles"?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

I found this really very engaging and interesting, on anti-Semitism

Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

This is interesting:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/ ... ship-offer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stormzy has accused Oxford University of rejecting his offer to fund two scholarships for black British students, a proposal which has since been taken forward by Cambridge University.
Cambridge once again proving it's the classier of our two elite universities.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I found this really very engaging and interesting, on anti-Semitism

As with ABSOLUTELY everything from the Labour leadership/Corbyn/Momentum, a profusion of "BUT BREXIT!!!!!!" in the comments :toss:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I found this really very engaging and interesting, on anti-Semitism

I'm probably in the minority (although I hope not) but I don't think "Jews" when I think "Israel".

Edited - typo
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Not everybody does, the point is that many anti-Semites *do* conflate the two.

As, of course, do some of Israel's more unscrupulous apologists.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UK cannot stop article 50 case going to ECJ, says Scottish court
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Supreme court justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg in hospital after fall at court
The supreme court justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has been hospitalized after fracturing three ribs in fall at court. The court says the 85-year-old justice went to George Washington University Hospital in Washington early on Thursday after experiencing discomfort overnight. The court says the fall occurred in her office at the court on Wednesday evening. Ginsburg was admitted to the hospital for treatment and observation after tests showed she fractured three ribs. Ginsburg broke two ribs in a fall in 2012. She has had two prior bouts with cancer and had a stent implanted to open a blocked artery in 2014.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Whilst we're there, Newt Gingrich's old district has just been won by a first time Democrat candidate who's son was killed in a shooting and who decided to run with gun control as a big issue after the Parkland shooting.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

"What Trump really wants: European car parts"
https://www.politico.eu/article/what-us ... car-parts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brussels fears U.S. President Donald Trump is out to poach the most valuable part of the European auto sector: the manufacturing of engine components, from electrical systems to fuel injection pumps.

Europe’s big car exporters such as Germany, Spain and the Czech Republic are looking on with horror as Washington’s trade negotiators seek to bring in a new points-based system within car quotas that rewards foreign carmakers for making more parts on American soil.
If we sign a trade deal, we might be allowed to make the fluffy dice.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.socialeurope.eu/the-finnish ... -narrative" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Finnish Basic Income Experiment – Correcting The Narrative
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:https://www.socialeurope.eu/the-finnish ... -narrative

The Finnish Basic Income Experiment – Correcting The Narrative
Rather a shame IMO (though I know you are a BI sceptic)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Maybe at a time when there is not actual debate about whether less than adequate income should be the default there may be possibilities in limited form but then it wouldn't be universal.Far from giving control I think inevitably the reverse,especially for the sick/disabled.I think in reverse adequate provision subject to circumstance rather than default basic then maybe add,the maybe is the problem.IMHO
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Maybe at a time when there is not actual debate about whether less than adequate income should be the default...
(cJA edit)
You're right
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm nothing but disgusted with Tory government
Absolutely woeful, worthless leadership
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Hundreds of environment agency staff redirected to work on Brexit
Redeployment of 400 staff jeopardises vital work protecting wildlife and overseeing recycling, pollution and flood prevention

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -on-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mary Creagh, chair of the Environmental Audit Committee, on Thursday published a letter from the environment secretary, Michael Gove, which reveals 400 staff have been moved from these agencies to work centrally on Brexit.

The staff moves come as the Department for Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) rushes to prepare for a no-deal Brexit, which will have a particular impact on dairy and chemical exports. Gove’s letter says some of the enforcement and protection work the staff do will be reallocated or paused for now, raising fears that vulnerable habitats and species are being left unprotected because of the chaos over Brexit.
(cJA emphasis)
We are so doomed
I thought Mr citizen and I might have some time, some years lunatics weren't in charge of the nation
I'm profoundly discouraged, seriously
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Dominic Raab: ‘I hadn’t quite understood the full extent … But if you look at how we trade in goods, we are particularly reliant on the Dover-Calais crossing.
May you live to regret your mistakes, Raab. May you enjoy a long, healthy and prosperous life dedicated to selfless, wholesome activities, devoting fortune, life and health to repairing the damage your mistakes caused and causing no more harm.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Tuesday's elections are not yet done, it seems.

Florida's senate seat is now close to *official* recount territory, and Arizona is also reportedly still too close to call.

Could those proclamations of a "dream" result there for the GOP, possibly have been premature?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Question Time report.

From Dulwich this evening.

First of all we'll get Jordan Peterson out of the way because he's some kind of celebrity on the alt-right. This evening he didn't say anything remotely controversial for this Left wing Liberal. He said stop and search was a stupid idea and we should take an evidence based approach to tackling knife crime, he said referenda were a disaster and a political abdication of responsibility in a parliamentary democracy, and he stuck to the well worn Libertarian line that free speech was sacrosanct as long as someone wasn't inciting a crime. All pretty tame stuff. So who knows, he might not be the vain egotistical dick exploiting the alt-right zeitgeist for cash that I think he is. We can't tell from this performance because he barely said anything.

For the Tories we had Kwasi Kwarteng who is, well let's just say not blessed with a great many functioning neurons. He was the only panelist who tried to politicise knife crime by attacking Sadiq Khan for giving a reasonable assessment of how long it might take to deal with it, then scoffed at the idea that sociology could be used to solve a sociological problem. No we don't want any of them airy fairy leftie social sciences being involved when we can just get the police to lock them up...oh wait, what police?

For Labour we had Diane Abbott again who put in her best performance for quite some time. And by that I mean she didn't make any glaring mistakes and I wasn't worried about her as a fellow human being like last time. So I guess that counts as a success.

We also had David Aaronovitch who has pissed me off on more than one occasion over the years but tonight I couldn't argue with anything he said, especially his call to scrap Brexit or have a second referendum.

And finally the star of the show was Mairead McGuinness, Vice President of the European Parliament. She was everything our own politicians are not. She was knowledgeable, she did detail, she was warm hearted and humble, she didn't seek to blame or criticise, she just told it like it was from an EU and Irish perspective. And it's a crying shame we have nobody of that calibre in Westminister.