Saturday 10th & Sunday 11th November 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 10th & Sunday 11th November 2018

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Note not just Tory,in general politicos don't get it or fully or if they do are wary.
You're right. Look at their workplace. Look at the language and protocol they're constraining them. It's a duel, not responsible governance.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"I don't care for and never did"
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

PorFavor wrote:
frog222 wrote:Actually I've forgotten the WSC quote, age is taking its toll ... :-)

That SOB was an American equivalent, LBJ, Nixon ,?

" He's a sonofabitch , but at least he's our sonofabitch."

Tsk !
Something along the lines of, "If Hitler invaded Hell, I'd have to side with the Devil," I think.

Edited to add -

@AnatolyKasparov - is that the one that you were thinking of?
Yeah, it was actually something like "I would have to give Satan a favourable reference" IIRC.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 06b8d1881d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In Arizona Senate race, Democrat expands lead as vote count continues
The US election continues. Although unlikely, it's still possible the Republicans may end up no better off than they are now in the Senate. At best the Republicans will be ahead 54 - 46. At worst they'll be 51 - 49. America's voting system is likely to come under scrutiny either way.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Afternoon. Hammering it down with rain here.
After an hour of talks between the two leaders and lunch with their wives Melania and Brigitte, Mr Trump had been scheduled to visit two American cemeteries over the weekend, but later cancelled his trip to Aisne-Marne American Cemetery and Memorial due to "scheduling and logistical difficulties caused by the weather".

The White House said that Gen John Kelly, its chief of staff, would attend on the president's behalf.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46162052" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What a wuss...it's been noted that Merkel and Macron managed to get there...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Terrorists, cultists – or champions of Iranian democracy? The wild wild story of the MEK

Everyone from Mad Dog John Bolton to Rowan Williams is aboard this now-delisted terrorist organisation . Talk about the MEK being 'our' sonsabitches !

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/n ... ump-rajavi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“” A stupendously long list of American politicians from both parties were paid hefty fees to speak at events in favour of the MEK, including Giuliani, John McCain, Newt Gingrich and former Democratic party chairs Edward Rendell and Howard Dean – along with multiple former heads of the FBI and CIA. John Bolton, who has made multiple appearances at events supporting the MEK, is estimated to have received upwards of $180,000. According to financial disclosure forms, Bolton was paid $40,000 for a single appearance at the Free Iran rally in Paris in 2017.

A handful of UK politicians have attended two or more of the MEK’s Paris events in the past three
years, including the Conservatives Bob Blackman and Matthew Offord, and the Labour MPs Roger Godsiff and Toby Perkins. The Conservative MP and former minister Theresa Villiers has attended the past two annual Paris events. So has David Amess, the Conservative MP for Southend West – the MEK’s loudest champion in the UK parliament, who has also travelled to the US to speak at a rally in support of the group. (All of the MPs declined to reply to questions about their attendance.)

The other British attendees at this year’s Paris rally included three peers and five former MPs, including Mike Hancock, who resigned from the Liberal Democrats after admitting inappropriate behaviour with a constituent, and Michelle Thomson, who was forced to resign the SNP whip in 2015 in a controversy over property deals. The former Bishop of Oxford, John Pritchard, was also there, carrying a petition in support of the MEK signed by 75 bishops, including the former Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams.

At this year’s event, flanked by union jacks and “#RegimeChange” signs, Villiers spoke of the importance of women’s rights, “paid tribute” to Maryam Rajavi – who is barred from entering the UK – and pledged support for her “just cause” in seeking to create “an Iran which is free from the brutal repression of the mullahs”. In a carefully stage-managed performance, Rajavi laid flowers and wrote a tribute in an enormous yearbook of MEK martyrs. “The time has come for the regime’s overthrow,” she said. “Victory is certain, and Iran will be free.”””
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Afternoon. Hammering it down with rain here.
After an hour of talks between the two leaders and lunch with their wives Melania and Brigitte, Mr Trump had been scheduled to visit two American cemeteries over the weekend, but later cancelled his trip to Aisne-Marne American Cemetery and Memorial due to "scheduling and logistical difficulties caused by the weather".
The White House said that Gen John Kelly, its chief of staff, would attend on the president's behalf.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46162052" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What a wuss...it's been noted that Merkel and Macron managed to get there...
He was worried about his hair getting wet :-)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://amp.theguardian.com/membership/ ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 06b8d1881d
In Arizona Senate race, Democrat expands lead as vote count continues
The US election continues. Although unlikely, it's still possible the Republicans may end up no better off than they are now in the Senate. At best the Republicans will be ahead 54 - 46. At worst they'll be 51 - 49. America's voting system is likely to come under scrutiny either way.
Nah, 52-48 is the worst the GOP can do now - only Arizona and Florida remain undecided, and unfortunately it still looks like Scott will *just* win the latter.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

[youtube]esjrHxpiet0[/youtube]
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Ouch.
Nicholas Soames

Verified account

@NSoames
Follow Follow @NSoames
More
They died with their face to the foe and that pathetic inadequate @realDonaldTrump couldn’t even defy the weather to pay his respects to The Fallen #hesnotfittorepresenthisgreatcountry
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... tery-paris" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"" The Le Monde report concerned events in Washington in early April this year, when the leaders of Estonia, Lithuania and Latvia visited the White House for a meeting and a joint press conference. At the press conference, Trump praised his visitors and their countries for being good members of Nato and for not producing “fake news”.

But Le Monde perhaps risked provoking a presidential tweet on the latter subject when it reported that at the private meeting, “Trump opened by attributing to [the Baltic leaders] the responsibility for the war in Yugoslavia”.

Dalia Grybauskaitė of Lithuania, Kersti Kaljulaid of Estonia and Raimonds Vējonis of Latvia, the paper said, took “a moment to realise that ‘Baltics’ and ‘Balkan’ were getting mixed up in the mind of the American president”.""

Lucky he didn't threaten to nuke them :-)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/1 ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The fact that one of the purposes of social care is to facilitate work/continued work seems to escape the let's needlessly set up non existing divisionists.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Being a "burden/unfair" to yourself,or something
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:Ouch.
Nicholas Soames

Verified account

@NSoames
Follow Follow @NSoames
More
They died with their face to the foe and that pathetic inadequate @realDonaldTrump couldn’t even defy the weather to pay his respects to The Fallen #hesnotfittorepresenthisgreatcountry
Can't risk his, ahem, "unique" hairstyle getting too messed up for everybody to see can he now?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

If only the population would comply to the script and simpleness of politicos.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://amp.theguardian.com/education/2 ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... a-dictator" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube]VD6d0xKZNRg[/youtube]
From the days when you had unions .
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Justine Greening says Theresa May is ‘handing power to EU’ in Brexit deal

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... rexit-deal
Theresa May was accused last night by a former cabinet colleague of planning the “biggest giveaway of sovereignty in modern times”, as she faced a potentially devastating pincer movement from Tory remainers and leavers condemning her Brexit plans.

The day after Jo Johnson, the pro-remain brother of former foreign secretary Boris Johnson, resigned from the government and called for a second referendum on Brexit, former education secretary Justine Greening launched an attack on the prime minister, saying her plans would leave the country in the “worst of all worlds”.
All going well in today's Tory Party then...
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

In praise of Jo Johnson :roll:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ure-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

That thing the spinning one told us no-one ever talked about isn't being talked about again: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... rty-mount/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :roll: :toss:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

refitman wrote:That thing the spinning one told us no-one ever talked about isn't being talked about again: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... rty-mount/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :roll: :toss:
Funnily enough watching Marr this morning it felt a bit like a general election might be in the air.

It is interesting to speculate on what will happen when, as now seems likely, May has no plausible deal to present to Parliament.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

'Interesting' in the Confucian sense?
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/ ... -backfires" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

refitman wrote:That thing the spinning one told us no-one ever talked about isn't being talked about again: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... rty-mount/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :roll: :toss:
A standby whenever things don't seem to be going too well for the Tories.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TaxPayers’ Alliance concedes it launched smears against Brexit whistleblower
Shahmir Sanni lost job and was falsely vilified as a fantasist and liar after revelations about Vote Leave spending
Interesting some of the things the Tax Payers Alliance have been willing to admit to in this unfair dismissal case rather than risking having to disclose the identity of donors in court. James Walsh didn't hold back when tweeting a link to the article:
James Walsh
@jamesofwalsh
·
1h
The Taxpayers Alliance, the the Adam Smith Institute, the Centre for Policy Studies, the Institute of Economic Affairs et al have all been toxic for our democracy and I hope this marks the end of the BBC giving a platform for their bullshit
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Out of idle curiosity does anyone know why Theresa May didn't join other world leaders in France today? It seemed a bit odd she wasn't there, though I know she did something earlier in the week in Belgium(?).

As for Jeremy Corbyn wearing the "wrong coat" his anorak did stick out a bit amongst all the greatcoats. He must have been advised against it so I presume it's a deliberate stand against stuffy convention. He's in good company. Personally I loved Meghan Markle's oversized dress pockets and her insistence on using them. I'm not sure Corbyn's anorak has quite the same panache though.....
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

gilsey wrote:'Interesting' in the Confucian sense?
Well yes.

Assuming May's "deal" gets voted down, surely she will have to go. Then I suppose there are three groups who are going to be key - ERG Tories, Remain Tories and the DUP. Is there the faintest chance of the Tories finding another unity candidate who can hold all those together?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Willow904 wrote:Out of idle curiosity does anyone know why Theresa May didn't join other world leaders in France today? It seemed a bit odd she wasn't there, though I know she did something earlier in the week in Belgium(?).

As for Jeremy Corbyn wearing the "wrong coat" his anorak did stick out a bit amongst all the greatcoats. He must have been advised against it so I presume it's a deliberate stand against stuffy convention. He's in good company. Personally I loved Meghan Markle's oversized dress pockets and her insistence on using them. I'm not sure Corbyn's anorak has quite the same panache though.....
I must admit that I groaned a bit when I saw the dangly hood. It smacked of pointlessly making a point. Couldn't he have tucked it away for the occasion?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

WWI, which led to WW2, which led, ultimately, to the EU. Today was very sad - in many ways.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PorFavor wrote:WWI, which led to WW2, which led, ultimately, to the EU. Today was very sad - in many ways.
In a way that's why I was wondering why Theresa May wasn't in France today. Is this a presage of our future isolationism, alone and apart in our delusions of grandeur? Our self-inflicted irrelevance was quite noticeable in our unexplained absence from a ceremony that boasted 70 world leaders. Did anyone represent us in May's place?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:WWI, which led to WW2, which led, ultimately, to the EU. Today was very sad - in many ways.
In a way that's why I was wondering why Theresa May wasn't in France today. Is this a presage of our future isolationism, alone and apart in our delusions of grandeur? Our self-inflicted irrelevance was quite noticeable in our unexplained absence from a ceremony that boasted 70 world leaders. Did anyone represent us in May's place?
(cJA emphasis)
What the hell is afoot with this. That's a great big deal, May not being there.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I made a point of watching this morning's ceremony (I don't usually) and must admit that I noted nothing "different" about Corbyn's outfit until some tried to make a fuss about it :roll:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I think David Mitchell makes a good point.
An algorithm a day will keep the doctor at bay

Government plans to exploit personal data to target individuals is a shabby way to spend NHS money (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... tor-at-bay

Edited to add attribution
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Leadsom 'sticking in government' to fight Brexit customs plan (Guardian)
That's a relief. She'd have been such a loss.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

He looks a practical, capable man
Mind you, I spent all those years in California, which is different
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
Leadsom 'sticking in government' to fight Brexit customs plan (Guardian)
That's a relief. She'd have been such a loss.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Fracking firm boss says it didn't expect to cause such serious quakes
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... lancashire" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pack up your gear and leave the UK alone, please.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Nothing happening this evening, then?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Nothing happening this evening, then?
Doesn't appear to be.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I've read the Observer view on Jo Johnson's resignation as transport minister. I'm not encouraged by his resignation or the article's misguided attempt it signifying positive things to come.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I was on ironing duty as 'er indoors was working both days this weekend...and next I've just realised.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
I was on ironing duty as 'er indoors was working both days this weekend...and next I've just realised.

Ah - now that is a pressing matter!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Groan ;-)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

I thought everyone was busy watching some football match or other....
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

A hooded anorak is a useful garment when the shit hits the fan
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
I thought everyone was busy watching some football match or other....
Presumably you mean the Boca Juniors v River Plate derby? Harrumph.