Monday 12th November 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 12th November 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 12th November 2018

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ted-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Universal credit will cost more than system it replaces, study shows
no surprise there
an irrational, ideological action
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

What tells you most about a society is how it treats its poor and vulnerable, the UN special rapporteur on poverty and human rights, Philip Alston, told a packed public meeting held in the UK’s poorest neighbourhood on Sunday...in Jaywick, a tiny village by the sea in the south-east corner of Essex.

He said a wealthy country could decide to help all those who hit hard times, ensure that they don’t slip through the net and are able to live a life of dignity:
It’s a political choice.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... in-jaywick" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(cJA emphasis)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Sky posted this last night.
None of us have the faintest fucking idea what Labour's Brexit policy really is because neither do they.
IMO Labour's problem is that, in practice, they can't ban everyone except Starmer from talking about it. I think his position is reasonably coherent but it's nuanced and hard to follow if you don't understand Brexit as well as he does. Who does?
I'm not criticising Labour MPs particularly, their understanding of it is better than your average tory MP who hasn't a clue but is allowed to get away with one of a range of ridiculously simplified positions by the MSM.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

All still going swimmingly I see...
Jennifer Rankin
‏@JenniferMerode
2h2 hours ago
More
Brexit fatigue setting in in Brussels. One source says they have stopped reading British papers(!), because tired of 'cabinet deal imminent'/'cabinet deadlocked' story loop.
Meanwhile the Daily Borisgraph seems to be getting its moneysworth with its chief investigative reporter...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

To all the Extremely Sensible People indulging in utterly bizarre Corbyn Coat Trutherism - we see you.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

Mark Francois (spouting off currently on TV). His main plank (apart from himself, of course) seems to be that, even if World Trade Organisation terms were to end up placing us in a worse position, at least we would have been free to try! (I paraphrase, but only to make him sound more coherent than he is).
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

Mark Francois (spouting off currently on TV). His main plank (apart from himself, of course) seems to be that, even if World Trade Organisation terms were to end up placing us in a worse position, at least we would have been free to try! (I paraphrase, but only to make him sound more coherent than he is).
Heh, will try and remember that line :)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

gilsey wrote:Sky posted this last night.
None of us have the faintest fucking idea what Labour's Brexit policy really is because neither do they.
IMO Labour's problem is that, in practice, they can't ban everyone except Starmer from talking about it. I think his position is reasonably coherent but it's nuanced and hard to follow if you don't understand Brexit as well as he does. Who does?
I'm not criticising Labour MPs particularly, their understanding of it is better than your average tory MP who hasn't a clue but is allowed to get away with one of a range of ridiculously simplified positions by the MSM.
I think Corbyn's problem is that he just isn't good at seeing how his words will be turned against him. It's a shame that this should be a problem of course.

I'd be really interested to hear the Der Spiegel interview and the emphasis placed on "we".

We CAN'T STOP Brexit = nobody can
WE can't stop Brexit = Labour can't

But I guess we'll never know what he actually meant because it is only in print I think.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I initially interpreted "we" as meaning Labour.

But whilst I don't subscribe to the "evil genius" line now so beloved of certain centrists (see my above post for a glaring example) it is quite possible he was deliberately ambiguous here?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote: I think Corbyn's problem is that he just isn't good at seeing how his words will be turned against him. It's a shame that this should be a problem of course.
Indeed.

Also, I think he believes Labour can still make the country work better 'for the many' even after Brexit and therefore doesn't care as much as those who think it'll be a catastrophe for the northern working classes. He sees it as a done deal they have to make the best of.
I'm not 100% certain he's wrong but I'd rather not find out.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Arizona - I think the dem is leading by about 32,000 votes and there are only about 5,000 left to count (and most of them in a county she's significantly winning at the moment). Very roughly a 1.5 percentage point lead which I think is beyond 'mandatory recount' territory.

Florida - 538 say that there is an issue with one heavily dem-leaning county undereporting the senate vote. The NYT results page doesn't show that - it seems the results are quite close in percentage terms - 0.2 percentage point lead - but that means about 12,500 votes which is a lot to find in a recount, even amongst 8million+ votes.

That (also assuming a rep win in Mississippi - sing it) would leave things 53-47 (inc. the two Indies who caucus with the Democrats) which is a small but significant gain for the republicans - even if the most feasible awkward squad voted against the line (Romney, Collins, Murkowski) the Republican's would still win with Pence's casting vote as 'President' of the Senate
I still believe in a town called Hope
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote: I think Corbyn's problem is that he just isn't good at seeing how his words will be turned against him. It's a shame that this should be a problem of course.
Indeed.

Also, I think he believes Labour can still make the country work better 'for the many' even after Brexit and therefore doesn't care as much as those who think it'll be a catastrophe for the northern working classes. He sees it as a done deal they have to make the best of.
That there is still even slight doubt that it is a "done deal" is remarkable really. Had the government come up with even a vaguely decent Brexit plan after the referendum, it is likely most would have got behind it (even if reluctantly in many cases) It is their obsession with appeasing the unappeaseable that has let to the present state of things.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I don't think I can cope with "Brexit" any more.

Theresa May seems to have taken several jigsaw puzzles, thrown half of the contents of each of their respective boxes away, put all the remaining pieces into one empty box (minus its lid - which had shown a picture of the Conservative Party logo - although even having the picture wouldn't be of much help by this stage), allowed the DUP to pour boiling water into the contents of the box and stir it well, and still expects someone to be able to put the pieces together to achieve a neat fit and a pretty picture. Oh - and she's packaged it up as a gift for us all.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PorFavor wrote:I don't think I can cope with "Brexit" any more.

Theresa May seems to have taken several jigsaw puzzles, thrown half of the contents of each of their respective boxes away, put all the remaining pieces into one empty box (minus its lid - which had shown a picture of the Conservative Party logo - although even having the picture wouldn't be of much help by this stage), allowed the DUP to pour boiling water into the contents of the box and stir it well, and still expects someone to be able to put the pieces together to achieve a neat fit and a pretty picture. Oh - and she's packaged it up as a gift for us all.
And she remains absolutely convinced that she is holding the final piece and is ready to put it into place.
I still believe in a town called Hope
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
gilsey wrote:
Indeed.

That there is still even slight doubt that it is a "done deal" is remarkable really. Had the government come up with even a vaguely decent Brexit plan after the referendum, it is likely most would have got behind it (even if reluctantly in many cases) It is their obsession with appeasing the unappeaseable that has let to the present state of things.
Is it "appeasing the unappeasable" that made it so appealing to Frank Field?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Any shred of respect I still had for him vanished when he cited anti-Semitism (something he had showed no previous interest in) as a key reason for leaving the Labour party.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Had you seen this PF?

https://boingboing.net/2018/11/11/this- ... uzzle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this-artist-uses-jigsaw-puzzle.html
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

Had you seen this PF?

https://boingboing.net/2018/11/11/this- ... uzzle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No, I hadn't. Thanks!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PorFavor wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

Had you seen this PF?

No, I hadn't. Thanks!
Amazing - I saw the link just after reading your post :lol:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@PaulfromYorkshire

Must be something in the ether.

I'd been struggling with the jigsaw thought for a couple of days - it was the closest I could get to coming up with something that fit the way I'm seeing the situation at the moment. I'm still struggling with it all! And trying to reason out Jeremy Corbyn's stance on the whole thing. He seems to be stuck in a bit of a timewarp. However, if we're going to face a disaster, I'd feel safer facing it under a Labour government.

By the way, did you see Sky'sGoneOut 's posts last night? I have sympathy with his view.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Dear God. Now what's she wearing round her neck?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

With no one in particular in mind

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-o ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

CRACE https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -of-idiots" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" Gordon Brown on Brexit: a grownup among a sea of idiots "
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PorFavor wrote:@PaulfromYorkshire

I'd been struggling with the jigsaw thought for a couple of days - it was the closest I could get to coming up with something that fit the way I'm seeing the situation at the moment. I'm still struggling with it all! And trying to reason out Jeremy Corbyn's stance on the whole thing. He seems to be stuck in a bit of a timewarp. However, if we're going to face a disaster, I'd feel safer facing it under a Labour government.

By the way, did you see Sky'sGoneOut 's posts last night? I have sympathy with his view.
Thanks for the pointer. I also have sympathy.

But I still think that Labour has got it broadly right, if far from perfect. I really worry about the idea that everyone has changed their mind now. I'm not certain a second referendum would produce the "right" result.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:With no one in particular in mind

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-o ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gin is fashionable again. They're the only new businesses I've seen open recently.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
PorFavor wrote:@PaulfromYorkshire

Thanks for the pointer. I also have sympathy.

But I still think that Labour has got it broadly right, if far from perfect. I really worry about the idea that everyone has changed their mind now. I'm not certain a second referendum would produce the "right" result.
This is really a bit of an unmentionable, isn't it? Many of the #FBPE types not only seem to think "their" side would win, but that they would get a landslide.

I don't see much objective evidence for the latter at least. And would another 52-48 type result - even if it went the "other" way - actually solve anything?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I've just been listening to Theresa May's speech.

This one's for you, Theresa . . .

[youtube]Q3dBqHJ8SFo[/youtube]
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Penny Mordaunt tells cabinet colleagues she wants to end funding Unesco, the UN cultural and education body

- wants to end £11.1m annual funding at end of next year
Times
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Penny Mordaunt tells cabinet colleagues she wants to end funding Unesco, the UN cultural and education body

Times
She's my MP. I am truly blessed.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@citizenJA

Night night.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PorFavor wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

Times
She's my MP. I am truly blessed.
Puny adornment turns into UNESCO hating Portsmouth MP (5,8)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Very good - quick, too!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote: Puny adornment turns into UNESCO hating Portsmouth MP (5,8)
Have you seen the puny adornment that Theresa May's sporting at the Lord Mayor's bash?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

California wildfires: Why Trump's claim 'forest management' is to blame is completely wrong - and why he'll keep saying it (Independent)
https://www.independent.co.uk/environme ... 29801.html
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

PorFavor wrote:
California wildfires: Why Trump's claim 'forest management' is to blame is completely wrong - and why he'll keep saying it (Independent)
https://www.independent.co.uk/environme ... 29801.html
He got a slap down from Axl Rose.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, that Axl Rose...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/ ... verse-dies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;