Saturday 12th & Sunday 13th January 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 12th & Sunday 13th January 2019

Post by PorFavor »

refitman wrote:Neil Warnock's a moron, in case anyone hadn't figured it out.
Oh, I don't know. "To hell with the rest of the world,". Intelligent, deep-thinking and temperate spring instantly to mind . . .
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I've PTOd, thanks.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

David Cameron and the art of blaming other people
David Mitchell

No one can accuse the former Tory prime minister of being power hungry. What he’ll be remembered for is passing the buck (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... her-people
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... d-schedule" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

In advance of the Commons vote on Tuesday, some of the estimated 1.3 million British citizens living elsewhere in the EU worry they will lose their livelihoods because they will no longer be able to work across more than one country, or their professional qualifications may no longer be recognised.

Others fear they will have to refocus and rebuild businesses they have built up over decades, or are concerned they will not now be able to look after ageing parents in the UK.
“I find it astonishing that the only way the British government can tell us to maintain our rights is to apply for the citizenship of another country.
We are being completely ignored and abandoned and there is very little help from anyone, anywhere.”

- 'We are being abandoned': Britons in EU on the Brexit deal vote
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -deal-vote" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm astonished too.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

This is from another person interviewed in the same article
“It is immoral, and I believe illegal, that any person who has been given EU citizenship, and then exercised free movement, can be told our rights could be taken away,” she says.
So do I.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Two local council byelections this past week, a "double header":

Rother DC/East Sussex BC - Independents held two vacancies caused by the death of the same incumbent, the district seat (probably the last election for a seat last fought in 2015 before this May's elections) saw an increase of over 20 points for the Indy to 60% after this ward had split 1Ind/1C both four years ago and in 2011 (Tories won both seats in 2007 and 2003, plus a previous 2006 byelection - LibDems were their main challengers in those days) which meant Tories were beaten by almost 2 to 1 despite their vote share being almost unchanged this time. Labour halved to 5%, though this meant they overtook UKIP who managed a strong third place in 2015 but less than 4% now. The county division saw more contestants and a somewhat closer result as the Indies got slightly over half the vote, a small swing to them from the second placed Tories compared to two years ago (the first election since boundary changes) LibDems came a distant third, increasing their share and overtaking Labour who dropped to 3% - just ahead of the Greens who did not stand last time round. UKIP last on 2%, a small decrease on 2017.

Two fallow weeks for principal level contests now ensue (unusually) before a couple of vacancies at the end of the month.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Had a couple of people over this evening and to go with the wine I got some Ribblesdale smoked goats cheese from the cheese shop up the road. As far as I understand it 'smoked' generally means there will be a smoky taste imbued imparting an enhancement to the original flavour.

This shit just tasted like ash, it made me think this is what it must be like to be a dragon.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:Had a couple of people over this evening and to go with the wine I got some Ribblesdale smoked goats cheese from the cheese shop up the road. As far as I understand it 'smoked' generally means there will be a smoky taste imbued imparting an enhancement to the original flavour.

This shit just tasted like ash, it made me think this is what it must be like to be a dragon.
I had some smoked gubeen and smoked stilton over Xmas. They were really nice.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

This is the idea I had a couple of weeks ago about the question/s in a potential EU referendum so I'm pleased to see someone much more knowledgeable than me proposing the same.
http://blogs.sussex.ac.uk/uktpo/2018/12 ... eferendum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I recommend a two-round referendum with:

Round 1: ”IF we leave the EU, would you prefer ‘no deal’ or ‘Mrs May’s deal’?”
Then, when the answer to this is known (say a week later),

Round 2 asks “Now you know how we would leave, would you prefer leaving or staying?”
Btl comments include suggestions that remainers would game the first question, but I'm sure I wouldn't, far too risky.

Another comment suggests one ballot paper with the 2 questions, but both have to be answered for it to be valid.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

refitman wrote:I had some smoked gubeen and smoked stilton over Xmas. They were really nice.
Yes but did they taste entirely of smoke?

I like smoked beer, cheese, fish, but never before have I bought something that tasted like ash.

Cost me nearly 5 quid.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Anyway, next week should prove interesting.