Thursday 14th February 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 14th February 2019

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 14th February 2019

Post by HindleA »

(Multiple soft toy birthday cekebrations,Guy the gorilla,15 who thinks he is the Pope doesn't seem overly impressed by my knitted present of gloves)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

It was an 18th Birthday card from the Tory MP that finally made me join the Labour Party.I cut it up into small pieces and returned with suitable firm but polite denigratory epithets "thanking" him.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... r-takeover" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Brexit is national crisis, former diplomats tell Theresa May
They warn: “If the prime minister’s deal is passed in parliament it will not be the end of Brexit but will in fact mark the start of year upon on year of negotiation and renegotiation – truly a ‘Brexternity’ of endless uncertainty about our future for both citizens and businesses alike.”
Not sure Brexternity works.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

So it is Valentines Day, those unfortunate enough to still read the Observer will know they got rather excited about today a few issues ago.

<drums fingers impatiently>
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Financial sustainability of local authorities 2018
This report reviews developments in the sector and examines whether the Department, along with other departments with responsibility for local services, understands the impact of funding reductions on the financial and service sustainability of local authorities.

Background to the report
Since 2010, successive governments have reduced funding for local government in England as part of their efforts to reduce the fiscal deficit. Changes in funding arrangements and new pressures on demand have created both new opportunities and further pressures for the sector.

Local authorities deliver a range of services. The government sets statutory duties for them to provide services, ranging from adult social care to waste collection. Local authorities also provide discretionally services according to local priorities. The Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government views authorities’ ability to deliver their statutory services as the defining test of their financial sustainability.

The Department has overall responsibility in central government for local authorities’ funding and dictates the overall levels and distribution of funding provided to the sector, and local authorities’ statutory responsibilities. Responsibility for statutory services delivered by local authorities is spread across government departments.

https://www.nao.org.uk/report/financial ... ties-2018/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
from the National Audit Office (NAO) report published today
Local authorities have statutory responsibilities and funding coming from government
I think this information is typically and intentionally obscured in order to pass blame for starved budgets and reduced services onto local authorities rather than government
Financial sustainability of local authorities 2018 Visualisations
Dashboard 1: Change in spending power
Government funding to local authorities has fallen substantially since 2010-11 to help meet the government’s objective to reduce the deficit.
Figure 1: Revenue Spending Power, Government Funding within RSP, and Council Tax
https://www.nao.org.uk/highlights/finan ... alisation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Handy information tool
The information found on this webpage is dramatic
Council tax escalated while spending power and Westminster funding have declined
Find your local authority on the webpage above to see precise figures
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:So it is Valentines Day, those unfortunate enough to still read the Observer will know they got rather excited about today a few issues ago.

I've been staring at data visualisations with the macabre interest usually associated with viewing a crash site. I don't understand your reference but I'm sure it's worth knowing. If you've time and patience enough, could you explain further please?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

We found that nationally revenue spending power fell by 28.6% in real terms from 2010-11 to 2017-18.
If council tax is removed, our analysis shows that government funding fell in real terms by 49.1% from 2010-11 to 2017-18.

- National Audit Office (NAO)
https://www.nao.org.uk/highlights/finan ... alisation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:So it is Valentines Day, those unfortunate enough to still read the Observer will know they got rather excited about today a few issues ago.

I've been staring at data visualisations with the macabre interest usually associated with viewing a crash site. I don't understand your reference but I'm sure it's worth knowing. If you've time and patience enough, could you explain further please?
New breakaway centrist party being launched.

Again :sleep:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... since-2004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Since they were introduced)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Three amendments selected by the Speaker for today's Brexit debate, including Labour's on the backstop and the SNP's on delaying A50.

Nothing about a "people's vote", yet again.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Thank you, AK
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Anybody for the afternoon shift?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Bizarrely it seems a plausible outcome this evening that the amendments are NOT carried, but that the Government then loses the substantive vote.

This is an Alice in Wonderland Parliament. Surely the idea is that motions are amended so that they pass, not vice versa.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Three amendments selected by the Speaker for today's Brexit debate, including Labour's on the backstop and the SNP's on delaying A50.

Nothing about a "people's vote", yet again.
Not quite ;-)

The Lib Dems :roll: are attempting to amend the Labour amendment to request a Peoples Vote in line with Labour Conference policy :roll:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Lab amendment narrow loss. SNP lost.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Sour banyan withdraws
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

May defeated
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Robert Peston

Verified account

@Peston
43m43 minutes ago
More
ERG Brexiter Tory MPs will abstain on main motion. Difficult to see how @theresa_may wins. A defeat changes nothing of substance. But it undermines confidence in Brussels and EU capitals that any concessions from them would actually secure a majority for a Brexit deal
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:May defeated
By 303 votes to 258.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Where was May tonight? Apparently, she wasn't in the House during her latest defeat.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re my above posts today, a rumour went round in the past few hours that Chuka Umunna (and perhaps a few other Labour MPs) was about to resign the whip.

This has now been officially denied.

For now.......
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Current UK opposition parties must act together for the good of people and country because the minority Tory government sure as hell isn't. If there's a decent Tory or DUP MP on that side of the House, now is the time to cross the floor and save us all from ruin.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

There's about a dozen good problems the nation has going on I can think of off the top of my head needing attention
Abandon leaving the EU in order to get on with solving them
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

From the G liveblog:
The business minister, Richard Harrington, has accused members of the Tory European Research Group (ERG) of “treachery” over Brexit.
I've been waiting so long for the Tories to tear themselves apart over Europe I was beginning to think it would never happen, but there are finally some signs tonight that it may be starting to kick off big time.

Will tempers hold, will May smooth things over or is the whole ridiculous house of cards about to come tumbling down?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Something that is still a mystery to me is why we had this vote in the first place!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA