Thursday 14th March 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 14th March 2019

Post by PorFavor »

Turn back a page and then PTO.

Bit like "Brexit".
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

European commission stresses article 50 extension not automatic, and that EU would have to consider its own interests

The European commission has issued a response to tonight’s vote. It is stressing that the UK would not automatically be granted an extension to article 50, and it says the EU would have to consider its own interests when deciding whether to agree one. (Politics Live, Guardian)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:So that means - if the EU agree - that we have to contest the European elections to be held in late May.
Not sure. Some people think taking part in the elections only becomes a necessity when the European Parliament starts to sit at the beginning of July.

My hunch is that she is still hoping to get her deal passed by the end of next week so she will be asking for an extension simply to ratify the deal and if she doesn't get it passed I fear crashing out with no deal on the 29th March is still very much on the cards.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Wouldn't it be great if just once, these people were able to say what new ideas would be good for the UK and that the EU wouldn't allow?
BBC Newsnight

Verified account

@BBCNewsnight
3h3 hours ago
More
But not everyone felt this way…

On the same day, Labour's Kate Hoey described Brexit as an opportunity to be free from the "straitjacket" of the EU.

"I feel this is really going to wake the United Kingdom up to being able to look at new ideas"

#newsnight | @KateHoeyMP
It's spookily close to the idea that the Local Authority was stopping schools doing things and they needed to be set free as academies - exactly the same kind of language.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@citizenJA

Night night.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Willow904 wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:So that means - if the EU agree - that we have to contest the European elections to be held in late May.
Not sure. Some people think taking part in the elections only becomes a necessity when the European Parliament starts to sit at the beginning of July.

My hunch is that she is still hoping to get her deal passed by the end of next week so she will be asking for an extension simply to ratify the deal and if she doesn't get it passed I fear crashing out with no deal on the 29th March is still very much on the cards.
If her deal is rejected again next week, I would have thought there would be another attempt to pass one of the amendments that only just failed today?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

If her deal is rejected again next week, I would have thought there would be another attempt to pass one of the amendments that only just failed today?
There's not much wriggle room. We need to ask for an extension by the 21st March and we need to know what we intend to do with the extension to have the best chance of getting one. Revoking article 50 is the only certain route to avoid no deal at thispoint. Passing May's deal is probably the surest way of securing an extension. Everything else is very dicey. Especially given the MPs roughly aligned in opposition to hard Brexit don't appear to be working together especially well.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Cable to stand down as Lib Dem leader

The leader of the Liberal Democrats, Sir Vince Cable, will stand down the role after the local elections in May, he has said. (Politics Live, Guardian)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Somewhat uncharitably, Dorothy Parker's supposed comment on Calvin Coolidge's passing comes to mind ;)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I missed this bit.
Nick Robinson

Verified account

@bbcnickrobinson
3h3 hours ago
More
I’ve heard it all now. The Brexit Secretary has just voted against the motion that he’d just been arguing for. Anyone got a better word than Omnishambles?
:lol:
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Watched quite a bit of the debates over the last couple of days and I have to say, besides a few of the usual Tory headbangers, I've been quite impressed. From all sides of the house there have been some intelligent, heartfelt contributions and a heartening amount of civility shown between people who disagree. So much so that whenever the likes of Christopher Chope or Andrew Bridgen from the ERG have stood up and offered their unpleasant sneering vitriol it was as if someone had just let off a rancid fart and everyone just waited until the stench had abated before carrying on as before.

I truly believe that if May was taken out of the equation a sensible compromise could be reached in next to no time, those clowns in the ERG and DUP could be easily sidelined and if Corbyn didn't dick around we'd end up with a deal similar to that of Norway. But unfortunately right now she and her deal are like turds that refuse to flush so now we're stuck hoping the most of the ERG and the DUP continue in their lunatic antics and scupper their best chance of Brexit. Because if she fails to get it passed next week and we get a long extension I suspect Brexit is finished. But that's a big if, because I suspect even those idiots realise they've run out of road.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Question Time tonight. Julia Hartley-Brewer with a side-order of James Cleverly, anyone?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:Question Time tonight. Julia Hartley-Brewer with a side-order of James Cleverly, anyone?
:sick:
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
Conservative Brexiters are to ask a group of lawyers to examine a new proposal to exit the backstop using article 62 of the Vienna convention. (See 9.48am, 1.47pm and 2.35pm.)

The ERG will ask lawyers including the QC Martin Howe, the only non-MP on their “star chamber” of lawyers, to examine how that could work as a unilateral exit mechanism

He[Martin Howe, QC] said that the international court of justice had considered “the fall of the Soviet Union, disappearance of the Warsaw Pact and dissolution of Czechoslovakia, were not sufficient to satisfy this ground”.
No problem, then . . .
By coincidence I just saw this on the same subject.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Summary - the ERG are talking utter twaddle.

NSS...
The other thing I've read about this today is that even if all of this expertise were wrong, even if there could be a case to be made and even if it were successful, then it wouldn't bring the backstop to an end, it would bring the treaty to an end. Either the withdrawal agreement, encompassing the backstop, or some subsequent trade deal, which you can be sure as anything will also encompass the backstop. So if we defied all legal expertise and won the case, we'd be out on our own with absolutely no transition arrangements, no trade deal, and no acceptance of our domestic standards and regulations. With Mauritania. Maybe. And with nobody in the world trusting us to keep to any deal at all if we could find the smallest ambiguity in the detail of it anywhere.
I still believe in a town called Hope
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

PorFavor wrote:Question Time tonight. Julia Hartley-Brewer with a side-order of James Cleverly, anyone?
Couldn't help myself.

Had to laugh when Fiona Bruce told braying leavers 'This isn't the Jeremy Kyle show' and asked them to shut up when she'd encouraged that kind of idiocy earlier and the programme has been encouraging it ever since the Brexit referendum was called.

I'm still convinced Hartley Brewer is nowhere near as thick as she pretends to be and it's all an act for money and her career, surely nobody could be that glib and live?

Good to have an actual professor of European law on giving dry impartial facts, didn't get her much applause but it was heartening to hear another lawyer saying the latest legal wheeze the government are trying to use to make the backstop acceptable to the DUP is nonsense.

Clive Lewis put in a good showing and Ian Blackford continued his fine form from the last couple of days of debate.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Oh yeah, forgot about James Cleverly, the man would make a Greggs pastie appear intellectually subtle.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Just to make things clear a Professor of European Union Law from Cambridge University doing her best Vulcan impression throughout in her efforts to appear impartial came closest to cracking a smile when asked about the Vienna convention being used as a fig leaf for the DUP and ERG. She dismissed it out of hand.