Saturday 16th & Sunday 17th March 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 16th & Sunday 17th March 2019

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Tbf you posted that just after me PF, so probably didn't realise it was PTO time.

But, anyway - PTO.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:After forgetting you can't get commentary on what I'm not listening to on-line.
Ah good - you haven't found the bug yet.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

This is a contender for best tweet ever...
LRB Bookshop

@LRBbookshop
4h4 hours ago
More
if you were or are the friendly gent (blue coat) who was in the shop half an hour ago and left a big jar of bees on the table in the poetry section, please come back and reclaim your jar of bees. if you aren't, please rt until we find him #FindTheBeeGent
:D
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-evening, everyone
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Water isn't currently as expensive as other must-have expenditures for households; that may be why people aren't agitated about it in general. I'm every bit as concerned as Willow is about private industry ownership of UK's water. I'm aware of how much Mr. citizen and I have paid for water and have recorded it over the years. It's one utility charge of several causing me anxiety. Aging is working out okay; I'm typically healthy and fit. The fact remains, I've fewer years and realistic options for alternative arrangements should bills I can't pay come through the door. I'm terrified of Tory governments, especially this one. They do not care about most people.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Cor blimey. Rugby eh?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Mr. citizen asked me to watch an item about news coverage on Brexit. Mainstream media aren't reporting factual information and are sometimes contradicting the reality of what Brexit means to us all. I know you all likely know this. The series of news clips demonstrating this disingenuous news coverage were shocking. People can't and won't make good decisions if they don't know what's really going on. We're getting deceived. News coverage is intentional; it's not a mistake or incompetence. Government sound laughably broken-brained but their absurd performances in the House aren't funny. They know what they're doing too. That's scary.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

refitman wrote:Cor blimey. Rugby eh?
Ah. Yes, of course rugby. I don't know it. I'm still trying to figure out utility bills. I've lived all over, successfully fulfill obligations nation-states require, attended and completed degrees from respectable institutions of higher learning and I can't f*****g figure out the electricity bill.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
Most household bills set for above inflation rises in April

We look at a raft price hikes from phones and broadband to gas, water and electricity
(Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/ ... s-in-april
Insane price rises for utilities
We've been notified of several
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Everyone ought to be scared as hell it's more important to media broadcasters choosing to interrogate and mock the party not leading the UK at this particularly sensitive juncture in our nation's history. Tories are getting away with god knows what.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

At least there isn't a Minister Against The Disabled for a time,but of course that is only the figurehead.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I can write up a nice treaty. My favourite are peace treaties.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Neighbours restless and fractious
I'm calling it an early night, everyone
love,
cJA
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-england ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/disability ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/arti ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

'Morning, everyone
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Living longer: caring in later working life
Examining the interplay between caring and working in later life in the UK.

People are living longer and are increasingly likely to have a living parent and/or a grandchild. Unpaid informal care provided by friends and family is essential to our society and the economy.

In 2016, informal adult care was valued at £59.5 billion per year, with around 2 million adults in the UK receiving informal care. This is the equivalent of just over 4 million adult social care workers working every week of the year at their median weekly hours.

- Office for National Statistics (ONS)
15 March 2019

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... 2019-03-15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

I'm watching the Jeremy Corbyn interview on TV.

Why can't he say that he would like to have the best, and most advantageous to the UK, relationship with the EU and that, if it transpires that that would mean remaining in the EU, he would support "Remain"? It would make things clearer whilst still not committing him to anything specific at this point. He'd, after all, have to say clearly what his position is in the Labour Manifesto should he get his General Election wish.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I think it's possible that he thinks he did say that?

Agree it's far from clear.

I wish, not for the first time, Starmer was the only Labour MP allowed to speak about Brexit. Sadly not practical.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

He (Jeremy Corbyn) seems unable to utter the word "Remain" and even has trouble with the words "second referendum". It's fast approaching the time when, even for tactical reasons (which I could understand (and agreed with) but was never convinced were his real reasons) when the issue cannot be totally avoided.

Edited - brackets
Last edited by PorFavor on Sun 17 Mar, 2019 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

I'm watching the Jeremy Corbyn interview on TV.

Why can't he say that he would like to have the best, and most advantageous to the UK, relationship with the EU and that, if it transpires that that would mean remaining in the EU, he would support "Remain"? It would make things clearer whilst still not committing him to anything specific at this point. He'd, after all, have to say clearly what his position is in the Labour Manifesto should he get his General Election wish.
Would he make it safely out of the building?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Edited my above post to add "(and agreed with")
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:He (Jeremy Corbyn) seems unable to utter the word "Remain" and even has trouble with the words "second referendum"). It's fast approaching the time when, even for tactical reasons (which I could understand (and agreed with) but was never convinced were his real reasons) when the issue cannot be totally avoided.
I wish at least one of us could have a private word with him and find out what he's thinking.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Please excuse me, PorFavor. I don't watch much media and don't know what Corbyn said or didn't say in this morning's interview. My response to your excellent question was flippant. I meant well and intended no disrespect.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

citizenJA wrote:Please excuse me, PorFavor. I don't watch much media and don't know what Corbyn said or didn't say in this morning's interview. My response to your excellent question was flippant. I meant well and intended no disrespect.
Don't worry about that! I like flippant, whimsy and all that stuff.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Please excuse me, PorFavor. I don't watch much media and don't know what Corbyn said or didn't say in this morning's interview. My response to your excellent question was flippant. I meant well and intended no disrespect.
Don't worry about that! I like flippant, whimsy and all that stuff.
You're better at it and I'm fine with that. I've got enough sense to know and appreciate genius when I see or read it. If that's all I've got, it's a good life.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I am quite happy with what Corbyn said, he has always seen it as his primary task to speak for Labour's remain *and* leave voters.

And leaving the nuts and bolts to Starmer is also absolutely the correct decision.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Far from only social care worker savings both in indirect and direct terms.Some in own home specifics and general in lieu of in hospital treatments/procedures took some months training.Not to portray a hierarchy just pointing out the breadth.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The context.of the default room for care is spare and discretionary and home owners,regardless if in adapted homes are unfair in providing this "societal and economic" necessity.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I am quite happy with what Corbyn said, he has always seen it as his primary task to speak for Labour's remain *and* leave voters.

And leaving the nuts and bolts to Starmer is also absolutely the correct decision.

It's better written down, admittedly! (I've just read the Guardian's write-up, linked below.)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ays-corbyn
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:The context.of the default room for care is spare and discretionary and home owners,regardless if in adapted homes are unfair in providing this "societal and economic" necessity.
I'm uncertain I understand what you're writing. I don't know if you're making this point or not but I think we're in agreement. Apologies if I'm mistaken. The thoughts your post brought up for me is making people justify 'social and economic necessity' crap. It's a nasty way keeping people fighting each other rather than notice the one taking most the biscuits and running off with them.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

And maybe its time for my regular reminder that any other plausible Labour leader would be following a similar Brexit tack to Corbyn.

(no, not identical perhaps, but similar)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@Cja referring to your ONS link.An economic and social necessity is perniciously undermined in a targeted fashion,sensible arrangements presented as selfish,hate filled spittle encouraged as political machination.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Some of UK's religious charities promote harmful views, claims report (Observer)
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ims-report
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Though I've consistently followed Brexit-politics, I don't understand some of the machinations. Twelve days to go and Brexit is more and not less confusing.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:Though I've consistently followed Brexit-politics, I don't understand some of the machinations. Twelve days to go and Brexit is more and not less confusing.
Amen to that :twisted:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... l-spending" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/201 ... an-over-50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What not to wear if you are a man over 50

WTF?

"As we get older, we all hanker after a slower pace of life, right? Correct."

Bollox
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Did my fastest marathon run at 50,admittedly still pathetically slow but at least on a par with a one legged horse.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Current rate of improvement at approximately age 124 I should make the first ten according to age category.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Nothing in the rules about one legged horses but there is about headphones(barring through the bone vibration thingies)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

People have started carrying speakers.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Anybody about this evening?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Yes - I'm here, but with nothing to say.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

It's a tough time, unhappy neighbours

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Oh, here we go. Paving the way for another bribe?
May in make-or-break bid to gain DUP support for her Brexit deal

“We will only bring the deal back if we are confident that enough of our colleagues, and the DUP, are prepared to support it, so that we can get it through parliament. We’re not going to keep presenting it if we haven’t moved the dial,” said the chancellor, Philip Hammond.

Asked if extra funding for Northern Ireland could be involved, as it was in clinching the DUP’s support for May’s minority government two years ago, Hammond said: “We are coming up to a spending review and we will have to look at all budgets, including devolved block-grant budgets, in that spending review; of course we will.” (Guardian - my emphasis)
Edited to add link -

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-03-17/wha ... d-the-dup/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The prime minister’s frantic last attempt to persuade Northern Ireland’s DUP to back her third meaningful vote on Tuesday involves a promise that if the controversial backstop is ever triggered, Great Britain would adopt any new food and business rules that could be forced by the EU on Northern Ireland."(Peston)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinybgoat wrote:https://www.itv.com/news/2019-03-17/wha ... d-the-dup/
"The prime minister’s frantic last attempt to persuade Northern Ireland’s DUP to back her third meaningful vote on Tuesday involves a promise that if the controversial backstop is ever triggered, Great Britain would adopt any new food and business rules that could be forced by the EU on Northern Ireland."(Peston)
And will that thrill the "Brexiteers"?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:Yes - I'm here, but with nothing to say.
That makes a change, arguably ;)

One more heave.......