Friday 17th May 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 17th May 2019

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 17th May 2019

Post by HindleA »

Re Euro election leaflets,only one I have had was from the Tories.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... vertorials" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A cross-party group of MPs have written to Amber Rudd, the work and pensions secretary, demanding more details of a reported £250,000 “unbranded” PR campaign to promote universal credit.

The work and pensions select committee is also concerned about reports that some jobcentre staff wrongly advise benefit claimants to switch from legacy benefits to universal credit even when in some cases they will be left hundreds of pounds worse off as a result.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"wrongly"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

Jeremy Corbyn is going to make a statement in the next hour on the "Brexit" talks, according to Sky TV news.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

Jeremy Corbyn is going to make a statement in the next hour on the "Brexit" talks, according to Sky TV news.
And?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Sorry that sounded a bit rude!

The talks are off mainly on the grounds that positions discussed in the room are then openly contradicted by senior cabinet ministers in public.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

And?
Google it!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Sorry that sounded a bit rude!

The talks are off mainly on the grounds that positions discussed in the room are then openly contradicted by senior cabinet ministers in public.
Jeremy Corbyn's letter to Theresa May is now reproduced over at Politics Live (Guardian).
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Sorry that sounded a bit rude!
Be assured that I didn't take it that way. In fact, I thought it "interesting" . . .
Bonnylad
Committee Member

Post by Bonnylad »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I'm on holiday from avoiding work,catching up householdy things.May even get the oven functioning ,even though it has only been three years.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Never had a cooker or fridge in my first flat but Axminster carpet ;priorities.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"wherever I lay my Axminster that's my home"
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

So whatever happened to this "cynical May-Corbyn stitch up" so many were screaming about after the local elections? :?:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Oh, look! Nigel Farage is on TV. Haven't seen much of him, lately.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Who?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Theresa May is currently addressing Conservative activists in Bristol. Very strange affair.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:Theresa May is currently addressing Conservative activists in Bristol. Very strange affair.
A few Tory constituency parties have held "informal" no-confidence votes in her premiership, which have passed comfortably.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Apparently May's deal will have "some new features".
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

A couple of sidestops to complement the backstop?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

That picture of the Tory "campaign launch*" - I have genuinely seen happier funerals.

(*with less than a week to go??)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

From Politics Live
Lord Heseltine, the pro-European former Conservative deputy prime minister, was also on the programme and he said Dorries’ claim was ridiculous. He said:

Boris was foreign secretary for a year at the head, at the front, of the European inter-relationship. Are you seriously telling me that these ideas he has were not tried, tested and rejected? It’s ridiculous.

Theresa May has her critics, but what you cannot deny is that when she became prime minister, she put in charge of the negotiations three leading Brexiteers. And they cocked it up. And the only way she could make progress was to do what traditionally prime ministers do, hand it over to the civil servants to try and bring professionalism to our activity.

It hasn’t got her anywhere because there is no majority for Brexit in parliament or, in my view, in the county. So the only solution now is to go back to the country and confront them with the reality of the delusions with which they were confronted at the time of the first referendum.
Can't argue with that.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Groan award for this dreadful piece

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -candidate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Regret to say that Crace is way off beam today as well.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Apparently May's deal will have "some new features".
A "feature fireplace"? After all, Gavin Williamson might be feeling the pinch these days.

Speaking of matters monetary, is there something to be had by hanging on as PM until July (three years in office)? I don't know how these things work. I realise that the Mays are loaded, but they strike me as, well, tight.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Groan award for this dreadful piece

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -candidate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That was dreadful. Really tacky.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PorFavor wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Apparently May's deal will have "some new features".
A "feature fireplace"? After all, Gavin Williamson might be feeling the pinch these days.

Speaking of matters monetary, is there something to be had by hanging on as PM until July (three years in office)? I don't know how these things work. I realise that the Mays are loaded, but they strike me as, well, tight.
[youtube]ROfY1Bv3N14[/youtube]
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PorFavor wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Groan award for this dreadful piece

That was dreadful. Really tacky.
Quite. I feel bad about sharing it actually!
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.ft.com/content/4b1cc60e-76a ... ae036b0dee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sex strike? Not sure I’m pro that choice
Alyssa Milano’s initiative is laudable but no substitute for real political action
Interesting how a male journalist's reaction to Alyssa Milano's not so serious suggestion differs rather considerably from mine. He reads it as a withholding of sexual favours in order to try to persuade men to back abortion rights. Yet I read it more as, in the absence of a right to an abortion, pretty much the only way a fertile woman of child bearing age can be certain to avoid an unwanted pregnancy given how no form of contraception is 100% safe. I may be wrong, but rather than some strange form of political protest, Milano's suggestion to me seemed to be the perfect way to draw attention to how abolishing abortion could have consequences not just for women but also for men. Far from an extreme form of feminism, a policy of better safe than sorry seems like the natural and pragmatic response to strict abortion laws. I'm sure all those who vote for it will be delighted with the Brave New World they've created where the only time anyone ever has sex is when they are actively trying to become parents! I mean, I know that's not ever going to happen but in a world where people get what they deserve it certainly should and that, for me, is the point this article appears to be rather spectacularly missing!
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Willow904 wrote:https://www.ft.com/content/4b1cc60e-76a ... ae036b0dee
Sex strike? Not sure I’m pro that choice
Alyssa Milano’s initiative is laudable but no substitute for real political action
Interesting how a male journalist's reaction to Alyssa Milano's not so serious suggestion differs rather considerably from mine. He reads it as a withholding of sexual favours in order to try to persuade men to back abortion rights. Yet I read it more as, in the absence of a right to an abortion, pretty much the only way a fertile woman of child bearing age can be certain to avoid an unwanted pregnancy given how no form of contraception is 100% safe. I may be wrong, but rather than some strange form of political protest, Milano's suggestion to me seemed to be the perfect way to draw attention to how abolishing abortion could have consequences not just for women but also for men. Far from an extreme form of feminism, a policy of better safe than sorry seems like the natural and pragmatic response to strict abortion laws. I'm sure all those who vote for it will be delighted with the Brave New World they've created where the only time anyone ever has sex is when they are actively trying to become parents! I mean, I know that's not ever going to happen but in a world where people get what they deserve it certainly should and that, for me, is the point this article appears to be rather spectacularly missing!
Great post.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

So May's latest tactics seem to be vote No (to her deal) get Boris.