Friday 13th September 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 13th September 2019

Post by refitman »

Morning all.

Sky - thanks for watching QT for us, another good review.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 13th September 2019

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Thank you, Sky, for your QT report. It's always a pleasure reading your work.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Nice to see Eric posting too :-)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Twitter picked up a QT moment where Fiona Bruce asked a follow-up Q to Brandon Lewis and his opinion on David Cameron.

As he started squirming and mumbling in the spotlight, Bruce touched his arm and said don't worry I'm only teasing, then moved on to the next Q.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... en-sanders" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Five hours in a freezer clearing jet oil,plus side was having fag breaks as soon as often as felt necessary,seventeen times may have been pushing it a bit.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Nice to see Eric posting too :-)
Frog also made an appearance.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

:
Attachments
ba8310b4dd8045cea24abc109207ea01lg.jpg
ba8310b4dd8045cea24abc109207ea01lg.jpg (22.58 KiB) Viewed 7878 times
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Sorry missed frog!

Nice to see old friends around :-)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

I had a quick look to see how Spiked's new "Think-tank that has absolutely nothing to do with us!" funding was going and...

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/a-new-thi ... itical-era" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We did it
On 13th September 2019 we successfully raised £2,650 with 69 supporters in 28 days
Er...except that they wanted ten grand...no doubt there's some spare Koch money lying around that they can use. It was even less until a few days ago when Anonymous popped up with 600 quid.

The odd thing is that Joanna Williams already works for Policy Exchange - unless she's found that they're not right wing enough for her liking.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Quite.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Allen Green
‏@davidallengreen
Follow Follow @davidallengreen
MoreDavid Allen Green Retweeted Channel 4 News
One dreadful aspect of Brexit is how some Brexiters trash any institution - parliament, civil service, judiciary - that they see as standing in the way of the "will of the people"

A Brexit based on these assaults on our domestic institutions is not a Brexit worth having
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Its the Year Zero mentality again.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

There's a word for this but as it's forrin maybe not appropriate...

Matty
‏@Doozy_45
Follow Follow @Doozy_45
More
Wetherspoons boss Tim Martin slams ‘Remainers’ as profits SINK / #Brexit #EU #FinalSay
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

Ha! A stall-holder in Rotherham, handing over some goods to Boris Johnson, is exhorted by a bystander to get the money first!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Not much falling about laughing in the aisles (or, I suspect, the isles) during Boris Johnson's speech effort in Rotherham.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I gather he was heckled during it?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

laughed right t'hell outta town
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I gather he was heckled during it?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"A speech to northern politicians and business leaders in Rotherham was interrupted by a man who urged him to get back to parliament to sort out the mess he had created. Earlier a woman in Doncaster confronted Boris Johnson face-to-face and accused him of telling fairytales about spending and Brexit."
:rock:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Bill Edmunds
‏ @billedm
49m49 minutes ago
Replying to @York4EU
What happened to his magnificent oratory? Can he only do it when the Tory Wall of Noise backs him up?
Brilliant, Bill Edmunds.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:
"A speech to northern politicians and business leaders in Rotherham was interrupted by a man who urged him to get back to parliament to sort out the mess he had created. Earlier a woman in Doncaster confronted Boris Johnson face-to-face and accused him of telling fairytales about spending and Brexit."
:rock:
Yeah but they're those liberal metropolitan elite we hear so much about...
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Love Angela Rayner

David Cameron in the news again l see, emerging from his £25,000 luxury hut, it’s a coincidence l am sure that his book is currently being flogged around the media circuit, but don’t worry it will be in the bargain bucket of booksellers for a fiver just before Christmas.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

A man who interrupted Boris Johnson during a speech in Rotherham has said he felt compelled to heckle the prime minister over the suspension of parliament.
He got me going when he started talking about how he valued local representation.

Johnson had been talking about giving local people the power to sort out what mattered to them when [Ben] Gilchrist yelled:
Like our MPs, Boris? Maybe get back to parliament.

Johnson responded by saying:
I’m all in favour of our MPs.

Gilchrist then said:
Why are you not with them in parliament sorting out the mess that you created?

As he was removed from the hall, Gilchrist shouted:
Why don’t you sort it out, Boris?

- Johnson heckler says he was provoked by shutdown of parliament
I like Mr. Gilchrist's contributions a lot.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Please read the entire article.
Later Johnson said: “Whatever the shenanigans that may be going on at Westminster, we will get on with delivering our agenda and preparing to take this country out of the EU on October 31st.”
(cJA bold)
Westminster is the home of Parliament, the House of Commons, where UK sovereignty resides.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Oh, I see. People confronting the UK PM with factual information in a non-violent way are being made to feel as though they're in the wrong for 'politicising'. Interrupting a lying PM's speech is lower-lip trembling scary for poor Johnson and his champions. "You've made the PM feel uncomfortable. Don't you feel beastly for bringing up nine years of Tory austerity deaths on his nice day out?"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

:lurk: Hello. We had a good holiday but I spent rather more time than usual online, when will politics be boring again? Can't come soon enough.

Thanks to adam & willow for the discussion on the Scottish case the other night, v. interesting.

I expect those of you on twitter will already have seen Prof Dougan there, his brexit commentaries have been on youtube up to now. He's picked up 17k followers in no time at all.
Latest thread, about not getting over it.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Five local council byelections yesterday:

Rutland - Tory gain from Independent, though the latter at least was inevitable as no Indy was standing this time. With the exception of 2011 when two Tories were returned, this ward has split 1C/1Ind in every election since 2003 - both in 2007 and earlier this year the two winners were opposed. This time the Tories faced actual party opposition for the first time this millennium, and won handily with over 55% of the vote. LibDems took just over a quarter, ahead of the Greens with a still respectable 19%.

Shropshire - LibDem hold with over 70% of the vote, in a ward which they won fairly narrowly in the inaugural 2009 unitary elections but with steadily increasing margins since (including earlier byelections in 2011 and 2016) and it says much that their share was slightly down on the most recent 2017 result. There was little swing though as the Tories, in their usual though increasingly distant second place here, also dropped slightly whilst Labour - who sat things out two years ago - scored 9%, actually a bit of an improvement on their last two outings in the previous byelections (the Greens not standing for the first time in the unitary era may have helped)

Rushmoor DC - LibDem hold with over half the vote in a ward where they have had historic strength, but Tories won all three seats in the 2012 all out elections and maintained their grip until the LibDems won a seat narrowly in 2018 and followed that up by gaining another seat with a slightly bigger margin this May. On that occasion a UKIP offshoot (British Sovereignty Party) polled decently, however, and the Tories may have hoped to profit from their absence - but LibDems increased by 16 points whilst Tories only advanced slightly. Labour third with 9%, down 6 points on earlier this year.

South Northamptonshire DC - the first of two Northants district vacancies this week (where the elections earlier this year were cancelled, remember - they are supposed to move to unitary status in 2020 but given the present chaos, who knows) and this one saw a LibDem gain from Tory in a ward where they made their first ever electoral appearance in a previous byelection last year, taking a respectable second place (previously the main challenge this century had come from Independents who took a seat in 2003 and then maintained a 1C/1Ind balance in the first of two unopposed elections in 2007, before two Tories were unopposed in 2011 and then defeated Independent opposition in 2015) and a 10 point increase since then took them to the mid 40s and enough to narrowly defeat the Tories even though they were only slightly down on the byelection (though over 20 points on four years ago) Greens doubled their poll to 10% ahead of Labour who (with a non local candidate) dropped by double figures to less than 7%.

Wellingborough DC - Tory hold with over half the vote in a ward where they have returned 2 councillors ever since the 2003 elections, then and in the next two cycles they faced only Labour opposition which they defeated comfortably if not overwhelmingly before 2015 saw a UKIP candidate also poll respectably. LibDems entered the fray in a previous 2016 byelection here, but the Tories won comfortably with over 60% of the vote - they were down about 10 points on that now but still up healthily on their 2015 score. Independent second with over 20%, followed by Greens on 12% (both standing here for the first time) beating Labour who again fell by double figures since the previous vacancy. LibDems with 6%, much the same as 2016 when they also came bottom.

Six contests next week.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

What are the chances of the electorate being once again taken in by the Lib Dems who will then go on to form a coalition government with the Conservatives?

As if there wasn't enough to worry about.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

An interesting follow-up to the "I'm not a legal expert... but..." debate last night:
SNP MP Joanna Cherry QC, English tax barrister Jo Maugham QC and businessman Dale Vince have launched a new action at the Court of Session, Scotland’s highest civil court.

The trio want the court to force Mr Johnson to send a letter to Brussels asking for an extension to Article 50.

The new legal move comes just days after the same court ruled the Prime Minister acted unlawfully in suspending Parliament.

It also follows the passing of legislation, brought by Labour MP Hillary Benn, that makes it illegal for the UK government from pursuing a so called hard Brexit.

It obliges Mr Johnson to ask for another delay to Britain’s departure from the EU in the event that an agreement cannot be struck at an EU Council meeting in mid October.
and the really interesting bit:
The petitioners have raised the action in Scotland because the Inner House, Scotland’s highest civil appeal court, has powers which are unavailable to their English counterparts.

This power, known as a nobile officium, would allow the court to sign a letter requesting an extension to Article 50 if Mr Johnson refused to do so.
I can't see it happening in practice (unfortunately).

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/ ... -1-5004114
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Love Angela Rayner

David Cameron in the news again l see, emerging from his £25,000 luxury hut, it’s a coincidence l am sure that his book is currently being flogged around the media circuit, but don’t worry it will be in the bargain bucket of booksellers for a fiver just before Christmas.
Saw her speaking in Birmingham this evening, with Jack Dromey (who organised the whole thing), some local heads, people from the teaching unions and the leader of birmingham city council - very good. Then Rayner had to run off with her husband for a meal because it was their anniversary!
I still believe in a town called Hope