Monday 21st October 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 21st October 2019

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 21sy October 2019

Post by HindleA »

https://www.change.org/p/don-t-put-my-s ... dit_var=v3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GetYou
Minister of State

Re: Monday 21st October 2019

Post by GetYou »

This is worrying

https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/s ... -act-wales
Since the law came into force in Wales, 206 people who have been told they are owed a council home have been rejected in Caerphilly because the council lost contact with them or they were judged uncooperative. In Conwy, 184 people with a mental health condition were rejected for the same reasons. Most other councils could not say how many vulnerable people had been turned away.
Gatekeeping always needs to be kept an eye on.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Lots of rumours that the government will try a new stunt when parliament resumes later today.......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/a ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Amazon warehouse staff 'treated like slaves with 10-hour shifts and short breaks'
I saw an advert on the tv recently advertising how great Amazon is to work for. In my experience everyone knows which are the good jobs, word of mouth. As such I have a little tip for Amazon, genuinely make your warehouses a great place to work and you won't have to spend millions on tv ads trying to counteract the negative effects of people sharing their actual experiences of working for you with the press.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

But that would actually cost money that could be better used as shareholder revenue!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

But what would advertisers do? Create something else. Produce informative courses benefiting everyone, for example.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:But that would actually cost money that could be better used as shareholder revenue!
Except tired people are far less productive and poor conditions lead to high staff turnover and thus to additional recruitment and training costs. Very much like a Tory government cutting spending on housing benefit only to end up spending more on emergency housing in B&B's, there is more to these kind of choices than an objective assessment of the bottom line.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I know, the above was said ironically :)
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Willow904 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:But that would actually cost money that could be better used as shareholder revenue!
Except tired people are far less productive and poor conditions lead to high staff turnover and thus to additional recruitment and training costs. Very much like a Tory government cutting spending on housing benefit only to end up spending more on emergency housing in B&B's, there is more to these kind of choices than an objective assessment of the bottom line.
Or saving money by cutting the funding for free tv licenses only to find they end up paying out more money because the new system encourages more people to claim pension credits.
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Should be a headline story.
The #Brexit Minister Stephen Barclay just confirmed to me in his @LordsEUCom evidence that, under the Govt's proposals, Northern Irish businesses sending goods to Great Britain will have to complete export declaration forms.
Stuart Wood, labour peer.

The government confirm that there is, in this withdrawal agreement, a real trade border in the Irish Sea and that there will no longer be frictionless trade between the different regions and nations of the UK.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Bercow refuses to allow MV to return to the house today.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

adam wrote:Bercow refuses to allow MV to return to the house today.
Bercow says it is clear that the motions before the house are “in substance the same” and that the matter was decided as recently as 48 hours ago.

...Tory MP Peter Bone to come in with a point of order. ...Bone tells him that no one knew that the prime minister was going to send a letter or not to the EU seeking a Brexit extension. Surely this something that changed the circumstances in which the vote would take place.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... 498cfb20d3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Desperate. Shocking.

edited to add
I'm shocked by Bone's attempt.
Last edited by citizenJA on Mon 21 Oct, 2019 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

citizenJA wrote:
Bercow says it is clear that the motions before the house are “in substance the same” and that the matter was decided as recently as 48 hours ago.

...Tory MP Peter Bone to come in with a point of order. ...Bone tells him that no one knew that the prime minister was going to send a letter or not to the EU seeking a Brexit extension. Surely this something that changed the circumstances in which the vote would take place.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... 498cfb20d3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Desperate. Shocking.
Bercow's response was that the idea that a minister of the crown might not abide with the law never occurred to him.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Yes. I'd already posted a lot of someone else's writing and didn't want to post more. It's nearly four o'clock in the afternoon and I'm having trouble formulating my own summaries. I'll make us all cocoa and toast.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@tinyclanger2
I think I understand better now your feelings of grave concern regarding current political events.
People may well vote and act against their best interests.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I would say presented as saving money as cover for something else.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

So when will it?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Though like trying to nail a balloon to a wall ie they alternate appropriately.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
So when will it?
I was hoping you'd know.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The EU said we can have time to sort it out.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
So when will it?
Mr. Speaker said this today, according to Hansard
"If it is not legitimate for the motion to be taken today, what is it legitimate for the Government to do? The answer is that, as the Prime Minister signalled in his point of order on Saturday, as reported at column 653 of Hansard, and in his letter to Members that evening, the Government can introduce their EU withdrawal and implementation Bill. Indeed, they have done just that, presenting the Bill for its First Reading today. I have no doubt that the Leader of the House will offer further details of the intended timetable for the Bill when he makes a business statement later today. Meanwhile, I hope that this ruling and explanation are helpful to the House.
---
The Government can introduce their Bill, propose a programme motion for it and proceed with the support of the House, between now and the end of the month, as collectively Parliament prescribes. That seems to me to be entirely proper."
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Lisa Nandy saying she'll vote for Johnson's deal.

Surely Labour didn't reject May's deal in March just to let through Johnson's far worse deal now?

:smack:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Sajid Javid refuses to assess economic dangers of Brexit plan

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... dApp_Tweet
But in stark contrast to the cautious stance associated with his predecessor Philip Hammond, who was referred to by colleagues as “Spreadsheet Phil”, Javid played down the importance of economic forecasts for judging the value of the Brexit deal.

“Trust in democracy, and bringing an end to the division that has characterised this debate over the past three years, is something that cannot be measured solely through spreadsheets or impact assessments, important though they are,” he wrote. “Respecting the referendum and closing this chapter so we can focus on delivering growth, and the public services people deserve, is the right thing to do for our country.”
Yeah, they're so important that we're not going to take them into account.

:roll:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The withdrawal agreement bill includes a provision to enable the prime minister’s Brexit deal to be ratified in time for the UK to leave with an agreement on 31 October.

Under the provisions of the Constitutional Reform and Governance Act (CRAG), an international treaty – such as the Brexit deal – must be laid before Parliament for at least 21 sitting days before ratification to take place.

However, in order for the government’s timetable to be met, there is a provision in the WAB which “disapplies” the relevant section of the CRAG.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... be7279a6c3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good lord
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

How did the vote on the Queen's Speech go? Did I miss it?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

citizenJA wrote:How did the vote on the Queen's Speech go? Did I miss it?
No, it never happened.

Apparently it isn't that important any longer...which is odd considering that originally they were going to take 5 weeks to write it.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.thompsonstradeunion.law/new ... -agreement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Willow904 wrote:Lisa Nandy saying she'll vote for Johnson's deal.

Surely Labour didn't reject May's deal in March just to let through Johnson's far worse deal now?

:smack:
Also, it's hard to find anyone knowledgeable who thinks the EU won't offer an extension, so what's the hurry.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

From @TheIrishBorder

He some lad with the fibs, though, I mean, he said I’d never be in the Irish Sea and here I am waiting for a swimming lesson with the goggles, and the stripy costume, and the rubber ring on me, like a big eejit. If I was the NHS I’d be looking over my shoulder, so I would
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Sadly we are now beyond the point of reason.

It doesn't matter how shitty this deal is, all that matters to the the few self serving prima donna's who can sway the vote either way is their own careers. Seeing Caroline Flint basking in the attention she's getting is sickening, she's loving it, and knows she'll face absolutely no punitive action from her party whatsoever. Because they're weak and need her vote elsewhere.

I had some hope over the weekend that MPs might settle down a bit and apply a bit of critical thought to the subject at hand.

But no...the 'get brexit done' narrative still pervades because we are all apparently 'bored' of the whole thing.

I have a longstanding niggling pain in my left knee, it's not going to kill me but I must admit I'm bored of bloody feeling it.

It would seem my most obvious remedy, politically speaking, would be to cut my leg off and let Ireland have access to my groin.

There's still a few faint sparks of hope that at least the worst of this shit can be amended.

And we've still got years of battles ahead.

But as far as this opening skirmish goes we're fucked.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

There is still the possibility MPs might not approve the timetable.......

In actual election news, early signs are that Trudeau Jnr might have got away with it in Canada.