Saturday 2nd & Sunday 3rd November 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 2nd & Sunday 3rd November 2019

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

LibDems were the first to break ranks re a December election, no doubt influenced by their poll ratings. Which are now dropping if you believe the weekend surveys.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The damage irreperable and of course not a responsible return without a substantial above inflation increase,particularly in the case of the made vulnerable.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

I'm assuming that Farage won't be standing in the GE as it'll be too humiliating to lose yet again...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50280848" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

If a clear winner emerges from this election, it will be because one party has succeeded in making its preferred narrative resonate more powerfully than those of its rivals.

• Andrew Rawnsley is Chief Political Commentator of the Observer
I don't like Rawnsley and read his articles with great interest.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tory/Brexit party will work as one in this GE
There won't be a right-wing vote split
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

citizenJA wrote:
If a clear winner emerges from this election, it will be because one party has succeeded in making its preferred narrative resonate more powerfully than those of its rivals.

• Andrew Rawnsley is Chief Political Commentator of the Observer
I don't like Rawnsley and read his articles with great interest.
it's not a sporting event or film you're writing about, Rawnsley
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:Tory/Brexit party will work as one in this GE
I actually doubt this somewhat.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Tory/Brexit party will work as one in this GE
I actually doubt this somewhat.
Good. I'd love nothing better than being wrong about that.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Farage does not like or trust Johnson, and even apart from that has little interest in helping him to an easy election victory.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

And besides, Farage thinks that Johnson's deal is worse than staying in the EU and all the time that this deal is the only thing around, Farage won't be supporting it.

And all the time that the company known as The Brexit Party has Farage at its head, it goes where he says it goes.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oops.

Telegraph issues correction over Boris Johnson's false UK economy claim

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/ ... son-column
The Daily Telegraph has been forced to correct a column written by Boris Johnson, after he falsely claimed the UK is set to “become the largest and most prosperous economy in this hemisphere”.

The newspaper said that Johnson misrepresented long-term economic projections to give the impression that the British economy would overtake Germany “in our lifetimes” – despite no such data existing.

Instead, the Telegraph admitted the claim was based on Johnson looking at a real economic forecast from the inter-governmental OECD organisation and predicting himself how the trends would continue.

As a result, the claim “was the columnist’s own extrapolation of this data beyond the timeframe of the forecast”, the newspaper said.
:D
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Apparently, despite only raising less than 20% of the money required for a launch of the new Spiked-offshoot thinktank Cieo, they've managed to do it.

And they have a Twitter account presumably created by Joanna Wiliams - "A new think tank for a new political era"

So who do they follow: https://twitter.com/CieoThinks/following" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Darren Grimes
Kate Hoey
Frank Furedi
Toby Young
Douglas Murray
Claire Fox

etc.

The only one I wasn't sure about was Rebecca Lowe but then I found this:

I’m the former (and inaugural) director of FREER, a political initiative advancing economically and socially liberal ideas, based at the Institute of Economic Affairs, where I was also a research fellow. I’ve worked for various other research organisations, including Policy Exchange, where I was State and Society Fellow

:lol:

I can see them moving into 55 Tufton Street fairly soon...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... mmissioner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... n-its-head" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ing-scheme" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... is-johnson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I have a rotten cold. It's dark all the time and keeps on raining.

Local Labour bods did a street stall yesterday. It was wet and windy and generally miserable. I haven't heard yet how they got on. Tough going, I suspect.

A low turnout feels somewhat inevitable at the moment, but perhaps the Christmas spirit will put a new spin on things come December.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I will be surprised if the turnout is much lower than in 2017, if at all.

And if it does drop that may not be to the Tories benefit (given their reliance on older voters who may feel the cold)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:I have a rotten cold. It's dark all the time and keeps on raining.

Local Labour bods did a street stall yesterday. It was wet and windy and generally miserable. I haven't heard yet how they got on. Tough going, I suspect.

A low turnout feels somewhat inevitable at the moment, but perhaps the Christmas spirit will put a new spin on things come December.
I'm sorry you're not feeling well.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Asked on Sky’s Sophy Ridge on Sunday programme if he should apologise to Tory members, Johnson said: “Of course, of course. It’s a matter of … it’s a matter of deep regret. But what we need to do now is get on and do it, and the difference between this government and any other party is that only this government offers a deal that is ready to go and a way of delivering it immediately in the middle of December, if we’re lucky enough to get a majority...".

PM says failure to leave EU on 31 October is matter of ‘deep regret’ and blames parliament
Johnson doesn't have a deal, he's got a withdrawal agreement Parliament agreed to scrutinise. He pulled it deciding a December GE might keep the Tory thing going.
Parliamentary sovereignty is a principle of the UK constitution. It makes Parliament the supreme legal authority in the UK, which can create or end any law.
https://www.parliament.uk/about/how/role/sovereignty/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Johnson not only illegally prorogued Parliament he's blaming the UK's supreme legal authority.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Who's in control, please?
Lost Soul
Committee Chair

Post by Lost Soul »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Did Labour and the LibDems not also support (or at least not, not support) the GE?
I had thought the plan was to go for a referendum before any GE but that appeared to suddenly cave.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... dissenters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

oh...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Met John from my house on the bus on the way home and invited him in for a drink.

John is a fellow 70's folk enthusiast and brexiter and also a devout Catholic god botherer.

He left with me mocking him in what I like to think was a good way, he seemed happy enough though but that was probably due to the fact he'd drunk quite a lot of my gin.