Wednesday 6th November 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Wednesday 6th November 2019

Post by HindleA »

Morning.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -ad-banned" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 6th November 2019

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... an-society" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... tudy-finds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The DWP there ,having difficulty with basic arithmetic,in line with inflation is a zero,0,fuck all gain.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Couldn't agree more with freezing the income tax personal allowance, not NI threshold though, it starts at £8.6k, hardly generous.

Still good to see someone putting it out there.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Jonn Elledge
@JonnElledge
The problem with trying to embarrass the Tory party by empty chairing James Cleverly is that the empty chairing is extremely unlikely to be any more embarrassing for the Tory party than an actual interview with James Cleverly.

Honestly, at this stage it's entirely plausible that five weeks of "they're scared to talk to the media!" headlines is a better strategy than five weeks of actually talking to the media.
Sadly, he also points out that it probably won't change the polls. Every little helps though, drip, drip, drip.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Newsnight last night had asked for a govt rep to come on and talk about Cleverley/Bridgen's Grenfell comments, 'none available', so they got, of all people, Gavin Barwell.
I confess I didn't listen to the interview but it certainly wasn't about his own record. Labour MP who was on later brought it up and he was allowed to shrug it off.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Boris Johnson has just left Downing Street to drive to Buckingham Palace for an audience with the Queen.
The PM’s audience with the Queen is little more than a pointless photo opportunity.
---
The Fixed-term Parliaments Act means that the timing of an election is no longer in the gift of the Queen.
This election is happening because, in order to get round the FTPA, parliament passed legislation,
the Early Parliamentary General Election Act 2019.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/bl ... d1f80da89c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The Universal Suffrage Be-Gone Act
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

While Johnson is jerking around with needless trips to the UK Monarch, Corbyn is speaking with people in Telford.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I like Corbyn's speech.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

gilsey wrote:
Jonn Elledge
@JonnElledge
The problem with trying to embarrass the Tory party by empty chairing James Cleverly is that the empty chairing is extremely unlikely to be any more embarrassing for the Tory party than an actual interview with James Cleverly.

Honestly, at this stage it's entirely plausible that five weeks of "they're scared to talk to the media!" headlines is a better strategy than five weeks of actually talking to the media.
Sadly, he also points out that it probably won't change the polls. Every little helps though, drip, drip, drip.
I know people are saying otherwise, but it is genuinely hard to believe the Tories continuing this s***show for another five weeks won't change things fundamentally.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Democrats win state level house and senate in Virginia for first time in 20 years (and already hold the Governor's seat), and look very much like they've won the Governor's seat in Kentucky.
I still believe in a town called Hope
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

adam wrote:Democrats win state level house and senate in Virginia for first time in 20 years (and already hold the Governor's seat), and look very much like they've won the Governor's seat in Kentucky.
:rock:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I don't follow US politics so much these days.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

citizenJA wrote:I don't follow US politics so much these days.
President Donald Trump made a last-minute push on Monday night for Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin, a strong ally who is facing a tough re-election bid in a deep-red state that should be a shoo-in for Republicans. "Here's the story," Trump told thousand of supporters ahead of Tuesday's election. "If you win, they are going to make it like, ho hum. And if you lose, they are going to say Trump suffered the greatest defeat in the history of the world. You can't let that happen to me!"
From here
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Something completely different but a good story - Chichester City - the lowest ranking club left in the FA Cup - got a bye into the second round because of the expulsion of Bury FC from the competition (because the club's gone bust). Chichester nearly went bust a couple of years ago, operate on something of a shoestring and have 'won' prize money of £36,000 by getting through to Round 2. In an act of pure class, they've made a donation from that money to the campaign to get Bury FC up and running again.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

adam wrote:Something completely different but a good story - Chichester City - the lowest ranking club left in the FA Cup - got a bye into the second round because of the expulsion of Bury FC from the competition (because the club's gone bust). Chichester nearly went bust a couple of years ago, operate on something of a shoestring and have 'won' prize money of £36,000 by getting through to Round 2. In an act of pure class, they've made a donation from that money to the campaign to get Bury FC up and running again.
I look forward to following their excellent example.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Alun Cairns has resigned as Secretary of State for Wales, after it emerged he had covered up his involvement in a disgraced Tory candidate trying to rig a rape trial.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

adam wrote:
citizenJA wrote:I don't follow US politics so much these days.
President Donald Trump made a last-minute push on Monday night for Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin, a strong ally who is facing a tough re-election bid in a deep-red state that should be a shoo-in for Republicans. "Here's the story," Trump told thousand of supporters ahead of Tuesday's election. "If you win, they are going to make it like, ho hum. And if you lose, they are going to say Trump suffered the greatest defeat in the history of the world. You can't let that happen to me!"
From here
(cJA bold)

I've wondered if the man is preposterous on purpose demonstrating to the world the ugliness of selfish narcissism and how important it is for everyone to vote for people who aren't selfish narcissists. I don't think he's doing it with any self-awareness because his actions have actively hurt people unable to defend themselves. It's also unfortunate some people choose Trump as their role model. Most people aren't fundamentally godawful, they're more often likely to be distracted, confused, ignorant and too busy.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Alun Cairns has resigned as Secretary of State for Wales, after it emerged he had covered up his involvement in a disgraced Tory candidate trying to rig a rape trial.
I saw that earlier. He was supposed to be the head Tory election campaigner in Wales.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Roger Godsiff, you are the weakest link. Goodbye :)
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Dem has won by 5000 votes out of 1,500,000 in Kentucky after all reporting. There's a brilliant map here that actually goes into vote counts precinct by precinct - and you can find things like this...
Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 15.26.14.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 15.26.14.png (55.23 KiB) Viewed 6816 times
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

adam wrote:Dem has won by 5000 votes out of 1,500,000 in Kentucky after all reporting. There's a brilliant map here that actually goes into vote counts precinct by precinct - and you can find things like this...
It says it's too close to call and that the Republican candidate is contesting the result.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'd like to know the total number of voters in Jefferson Country Kentucky. Only one person turned out?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Count them again, damn you! It's my ego on the line!
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

citizenJA wrote:
adam wrote:Dem has won by 5000 votes out of 1,500,000 in Kentucky after all reporting. There's a brilliant map here that actually goes into vote counts precinct by precinct - and you can find things like this...
It says it's too close to call and that the Republican candidate is contesting the result.
There's a good piece here about Kentucky recount (and so on) rules.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Watson steps down!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Well he won't be contesting the election, I presume that means he is compelled to relinquish his deputy post as well?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Well he won't be contesting the election, I presume that means he is compelled to relinquish his deputy post as well?
According to the Graun, he's stepped down from the post.

Maybe the next deputy will work with the party, instead of against it? :roll:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Interesting observation on Twitter. Suggests Watson thinks Corbyn is going to win or close enough.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Interesting observation on Twitter. Suggests Watson thinks Corbyn is going to win or close enough.
:dance:
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Interesting observation on Twitter. Suggests Watson thinks Corbyn is going to win or close enough.
I know it's just speculation, but if he was being at all mischievous, he would have announced just before Corbyn's speech this morning and not just before Johnson's speech this evening.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Blimey.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/po ... 1-10082967" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Wow, this would be amazing.
John Rentoul

Verified account

@JohnRentoul
Follow Follow @JohnRentoul
More
There's been another @Survation constituency poll & it's a shocker: Lib Dems close to taking John Redwood's Wokingham seat
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA