Saturday 9th & Sunday 10th November 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 9th & Sunday 10th November 2019

Post by HindleA »

PAGE 2
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

style
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]gCCAbFF_PJg[/youtube]
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Good morning all.

Remarkable unanimity on some front pages of the Tory rags this morning, let's hope it was never co-ordinated by a WhatsApp group or anything like that.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Labour chiefs mull plan to replace top civil servants with political appointees
EXCLUSIVE: Permanent Secretaries, widely known after Sir Humphry of Yes Minister, would go in favour of political appointees according to the plan being looked at
Labour borrowing ideas from David Cameron doesn't exactly fill me with confidence in their ability to deliver, I have to say.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Inequality street
Housing and the 2019 general election
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

The reasons for the oft-proclaimed 'death of the high street' are right there in that report.
Half the population have no money to spend.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Re the overnight headlines...I do wonder whether they've peaked too early with the "Labour will bankrupt Britain!!" stuff - I wonder whether the manifesto will come out and some of the more outlandish suggestions will have simply disappeared. And if they're clever they'll get the IFS to look at and have them say "Yes, it looks affordable".

For weeks to go and lots can happen between now and then...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Just noticed from elsewhere that the PM managed to put his wreath upside down...card at the bottom rather than at the top.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I'm unconvinced by universal basic income. It equates the principle of a basic safety net of food, warmth and shelter to a single sum of money. Those on the right will be extremely grateful they no longer have to ensure everyone's basic human needs are met because everyone has a sum of money, if they don't use it wisely that's their lookout etc etc.

People don't need "x" amount of money. They need a basic standard of living, something which can vary in monetary cost to provide, depending on their individual needs. I don't think it's the right way to go.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:
thanks to everyone giving me laughter and the will the live
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:Re the overnight headlines...I do wonder whether they've peaked too early with the "Labour will bankrupt Britain!!" stuff - I wonder whether the manifesto will come out and some of the more outlandish suggestions will have simply disappeared. And if they're clever they'll get the IFS to look at and have them say "Yes, it looks affordable".

For weeks to go and lots can happen between now and then...
The actual coverage in the Sunday Times all but admitted that the headline figure was invented rubbish - but still led with it anyway!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

We already have receivership according legal minimum amount of money,it largely means diddly squat.Further to Willow's point,it is arse about face thinking -the necessary posited as "extra" ,even if there is a "right"to such things it will subject to the State's definition,whim,and ever "flexible".The claims for such that has been undertaken have exactly the same hallmarks of those under UC.I agree with Willow's salient point on reciprocity ,enabling the State to further abnegate responsibilty.You don't have to s Tory to think there is something morally wrong with giving dosh to lazy fuckers contemplating their navel without thought or inkling /intention of making a contribution of any sort.It will create the very situation disingenuously bemoaned ,whilst the people that actually need it will be subject to the above. IMHO
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Missed this from yesterday...

Conservative party’s treatment of business leaves me aghast

https://www.ft.com/content/96ddbc8a-015 ... c6c29e70ca

I was proud to serve as a business minister under Greg Clark, an excellent secretary of state for the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy. At that point, nobody foresaw all the disastrous consequences the referendum would have. We were able to travel in hope, developing and implementing our industrial strategy, while the preliminary negotiations with the EU were compartmentalised.

Since then, of course, Brexit has come to dominate every waking hour of government; sidelining progress on all other crucially important areas of policy. During my three years as a business-facing minister, I witnessed the steady decline in business confidence as the uncertainty mounted. At the beginning of this year, the mood changed from that of worry and confusion to one of anger and despair. I was aghast that a Conservative government, of which I was a member, had brought the world of business so low.
Margot James not happy as she departs the Commons...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

One of quite a few Cameroonies who are giving things up as a bad job.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

The view from the Scottish borders.

Been up in Berwick and Eyemouth for a few days and here are the results of my own vox pops held in a number of pubs on both sides of the border. Both seats are currently held by the Conservatives, despite being Liberal for most of my lifetime.

Alan Beith sent me card on my 18'th birthday.

North of the border in Eyemouth it's a fight between the Tories and the SNP. It's entirely about the union and the border that would be created with Scottish independence, it was like entering a different world where Brexit was a mere afterthought, something happening to other people. I tried mentioning fishing a few times, but even in a fishing town like Eyemouth it's a sideshow, the big trawlers there are owned by millionaire families, the local boats are catching crabs and scalllops and prawns. The main concern I heard was not having a border on the UK mainland that would cost them a fortune. Because all they catch goes South before it's either eaten in the UK or exported.

South of the border in Berwick the view was entirely different. They already have booze cruises going on with Scots crossing the border to get cheaper alcohol so you'd think the idea of further trade differentials would be a popular idea but apparently not. In my exhaustive tour with my dad of about 5 pubs the overwhelming consensus was that if Scotland goes then Berwick should go with it and they wished they could vote SNP.

So curiously Southern Scotland seemed less enamoured with independence than Northern England.

(Neither Berwick or Eyemouth have indoor markets and I'm not from the BBC so I was forced to conduct my research talking to people over a beers that I bought them).
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Also why is it my mother with Alzheimer's can get an NHS home help over the border in Scotland or 50 miles South in Northumberland when you get close to Tyne and Wear but absolutely nothing besides charity help in North Northumberland?

Besides a couple of afternoons a week while my incontinent, regressed to a child mother is painting seashells or some shit my dad has absolutely no help whatsoever, and that's charity. The state offers him no help whatsoever despite a lifetime of paying tax. Not even a carers allowance.

My mother's cousin who spent her working life with the DSS/DWP doubted the fact we had no state help whatsoever and used her contacts only to find we were right, in rural areas with low population density adult social care is essentially zero. You still get to see a doctor and psychiatrist but that's it. Nobody is coming to help.

And that makes me really fucking angry.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Interestingly there have always been some people in Berwick who would prefer to join Scotland.

Maybe they could do a swap with Gretna (where the locals mostly have English, not Scottish, accents)
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I can assure you the people of Gretna do not sound English.

Where have you got that idea from?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:I can assure you the people of Gretna do not sound English.

Where have you got that idea from?
Have visited there a few times, and that was certainly my impression - accents very similar to the Carlisle one.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Same as Berwick. The soft geordie expansion.

I blame the 'local' news.