Monday 11th November 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Monday 11th November 2019

Post by HindleA »

A wonderful opportunity to invest,create jobs and maintain peoples' independence says the IFS,or maybe not.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 11th November 2019

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Thank you, Sky, for your research posted on yesterday's politics thread.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Vaz decided to stand down I see.

Good - we can do better than what he was/became.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

General election: Corbyn urged to say if he would use nuclear bomb after Thornberry ducks question
Do we really have to do this again?
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:
General election: Corbyn urged to say if he would use nuclear bomb after Thornberry ducks question
Anything to avoid talking about Boris Johnson's inability to use a mop or lay a wreath I guess. Purely theoretical scenarios are one of his few opportunities to shine.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Hmm...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ava-Santina
‏@AvaSantina
Follow Follow @AvaSantina
More
Slide One is Boris Johnson, yesterday, laying a wreath upside down on the Cenotaph
Slide Two is the footage BBC News are rolling with this morning - bizarrely, it's from 2016.
Mark Di Stefano
Verified account
@MarkDiStef
Follow Follow @MarkDiStef
MoreMark Di Stefano Retweeted Ava-Santina
There’s likely an innocent explanation for this –– young producer couldn’t find yesterday’s footage for overlay or something –– but can confirm BBC running Remembrance footage from years ago.
Of course...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Asked whether he could promise voters that he would protect them and their families, the Labour leader said: “What is real security in your life? Real security is somewhere to live, real security is a secure job, real security is a health service, real security is social care, real security is knowing that you can bring up your children in a safe, clean, sustainable environment.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... dissenters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From an interview last week
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh look...
BBC Breakfast

Verified account

@BBCBreakfast
Follow Follow @BBCBreakfast
More
This morning on the programme we incorrectly used footage from a Remembrance Day service that was not filmed yesterday.

This was a production mistake and we apologise for the error.

10:39 AM - 11 Nov 2019
Of course, nothing to with the fact that he looked sloppily dressed, stepped out at the wrong time, and laid the wreath the wrong way round!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I go straight to angry and skip shocked now
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Of course, nothing to with the fact that he looked sloppily dressed, stepped out at the wrong time, and laid the wreath the wrong way round!
That Cameron line to Corbyn, smarten yourself up, doesn't look very clever now. The original footage shows BJ looking like he's been dragged through a hedge backwards followed by JC looking very smart indeed. Cameron did him a favour.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Pretty sloppy from the BBC, thinking nobody would notice it was green ffs.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

BBC are generally a very "sloppy" organisation these days, that's where refusing to accept any criticisms can ever be made in good faith gets you.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Adam Wagner on that rehashed policy of not allowing vexatious prosecutions of military.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

I'm not the only one thinking that the BBC "error" in showing the wrong footage would have taken more than just a slip:

https://twitter.com/Howard_Goodall/stat ... 1139470337
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Dave Hill

@DaveHill
2m2 minutes ago
More
Green Party stands aside in London marginal Chingford & Woodford Green to help #LabourParty defeat Iain Duncan Smith: https://tinyurl.com/s977z6b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . @sianberry @John_J_C_Moss #GeneralElection.
Now that would be fun to watch...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

From AS
Farage says Brexit party will not fight Tories in 317 seats in significant boost to Johnson's election chances
Farage says he weighed up Johnson’s promises, against the threat that the Brexit party standing could let the Lib Dems in.

Farage says the Brexit party will not stand against the Tories in the 317 seats they won in 2017.
But it will concentrate its efforts on seats held by the Labour party.

And it will also challenge other remainer parties.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

This is why Farage had to dump Ukip, a democratically run party that would probably not have agreed to do this. The whole Tommy Robinson toxification of Ukip having previously been carefully engineered to ensure voters wouldn't be tempted to go back to Ukip and split the Brexit vote anyway.

This was so predictable. The Brexit Party has never been an independent threat. It's basically the Tory party "b" team. It's the Torro Rosso to the Tories' Red Bull and they're both singing from the same hymn sheet.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Another Spiked writer as a Brexit Party PPC...
Alka Sehgal Cuthbert

@ASCphiled
Follow Follow @ASCphiled
MoreAlka Sehgal Cuthbert Retweeted Lewis Goodall
Alka Sehgal Cuthbert PPC for East Ham Respect the mandate & help #ChangePoliticsForGood
Three I've seen so far but I'm sure there are more. I get this feeling that they're using Bexit as a way into a political party - I don't recall them ever getting overly worried about Brexit until this year's Euro elections.

Still, now that Farage has folded, they'll get a Tory government - I'm sure thy'll be happy with that.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Willow904 wrote:This is why Farage had to dump Ukip, a democratically run party that would probably not have agreed to do this. The whole Tommy Robinson toxification of Ukip having previously been carefully engineered to ensure voters wouldn't be tempted to go back to Ukip and split the Brexit vote anyway.

This was so predictable. The Brexit Party has never been an independent threat. It's basically the Tory party "b" team. It's the Torro Rosso to the Tories' Red Bull and they're both singing from the same hymn sheet.
This isn't good news but it would have been ludicrous for Farage to go ahead and stand everywhere and this was entirely to be expected.
I still believe in a town called Hope
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

gilsey wrote:
Of all the days to do this, as well!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

adam wrote:
Willow904 wrote:This is why Farage had to dump Ukip, a democratically run party that would probably not have agreed to do this. The whole Tommy Robinson toxification of Ukip having previously been carefully engineered to ensure voters wouldn't be tempted to go back to Ukip and split the Brexit vote anyway.

This isn't good news but it would have been ludicrous for Farage to go ahead and stand everywhere and this was entirely to be expected.
A compromise between those in BxP who still wanted to stand everywhere and those who wanted an almost total withdrawal from the election.

It means they can still get a PPB.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
adam wrote:

A compromise between those in BxP who still wanted to stand everywhere and those who wanted an almost total withdrawal from the election.

It means they can still get a PPB.
True - although there's some discussion about issues like how much coverage they should have (likely functional answer - 'As much as the BBC want them to') and about whether Farage (or indeed Tice) gets to go to a televised leader's debate if they're not a national party.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Peter Walker

Verified account

@peterwalker99
Follow Follow @peterwalker99
More
The news also illustrates the astonishingly tight grip Nigel Farage (and Richard Tice) have over the Brexit party. What other party could parade hundreds of eager candidates before the media, and then literally a week later order the bulk of them to stand aside?

12:27 PM - 11 Nov 2019
"Democracy for the UK...but not in our party" seems to be the message.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Wonder if Farage will pay those who are not now contesting seats their £100 back?
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Wonder if Farage will pay those who are not now contesting seats their £100 back?
A now-former BP candidate speaks.
Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 14.00.43.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 14.00.43.png (24.38 KiB) Viewed 8836 times
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

https://www.politics.co.uk/comment-anal ... e-counties" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Survation polling suggests that seats observers have hitherto ignored, such as Hitchin and Romsey, are viable Lib Dem targets. But for all their opportunities in the south east and Home Counties, read between the lines and there's a question. The Lib Dems are up around ten points in the polls compared to 2017. The published Survation constituency polls show them up around 20 points in Esher, Wokingham, South Cambridgeshire and North East Somerset. They are not up 20 points nationally though - so where are they struggling?

Survation only publish the polls their clients authorise them to. We don't know what polls the Lib Dems have commissioned which they aren't publishing - which seats, and what results they're showing.

The Brexity Midlands will be tough for the party, but that's not where they're targeting. By contrast, the south west is looking glaring by its relative absence from the published Survation polls - it's the traditional Lib Dem heartland where most of the party's easier target seats are. And yet so far Survation has only published results from Jacob Rees Mogg's North East Somerset seat in the south west. Yes, the Lib Dems are up 20 points there on 2017 - but the seat contains demographic overspill from the Remain heartland of Bristol. That is quite unlike Devon, Cornwall and Somerset. Surely the Lib Dems have commissioned polls here. If the party is sitting on them, they're doing it for a reason.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Oh, and.......10,000 8-)
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Oh, and.......10,000 8-)
:) and a thousand thank yous.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I saw some BBC news this afternoon and heard the Brexit Party's owner give a statement. He got the number of Tory seats held spectacularly wrong and no one corrected his error. He confined BP candidates standing in seats held by the Labour party.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

The tory candidate in Hartepool has said he won't stand against Tice - Farage might have forced a deal onto Johnson whatever the Tories think nationally.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

adam wrote:The tory candidate in Hartepool has said he won't stand against Tice - Farage might have forced a deal onto Johnson whatever the Tories think nationally.
I expect they will just get a new one?

And the Tories thought they had a genuine chance there in 2017 too.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Boris Johnson set to break pledge not to nominate EU commissioner

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ner-brexit
In his first address to the House of Commons after becoming prime minister in July, Johnson told MPs that “under no circumstances” would he nominate a new commissioner – a promise aimed at signalling his determination to leave the EU on 31 October.
Apart from the obvious one...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.centreforwelfarereform.org/ ... eform.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:https://www.politics.co.uk/comment-anal ... e-counties
The Survation polling suggests that seats observers have hitherto ignored, such as Hitchin and Romsey, are viable Lib Dem targets. But for all their opportunities in the south east and Home Counties, read between the lines and there's a question. The Lib Dems are up around ten points in the polls compared to 2017. The published Survation constituency polls show them up around 20 points in Esher, Wokingham, South Cambridgeshire and North East Somerset. They are not up 20 points nationally though - so where are they struggling?

Survation only publish the polls their clients authorise them to. We don't know what polls the Lib Dems have commissioned which they aren't publishing - which seats, and what results they're showing.

The Brexity Midlands will be tough for the party, but that's not where they're targeting. By contrast, the south west is looking glaring by its relative absence from the published Survation polls - it's the traditional Lib Dem heartland where most of the party's easier target seats are. And yet so far Survation has only published results from Jacob Rees Mogg's North East Somerset seat in the south west. Yes, the Lib Dems are up 20 points there on 2017 - but the seat contains demographic overspill from the Remain heartland of Bristol. That is quite unlike Devon, Cornwall and Somerset. Surely the Lib Dems have commissioned polls here. If the party is sitting on them, they're doing it for a reason.
I've just had a look at the Survation constituency poll for NE Somerset and it's not very exciting for anyone other than local Libdems as far as I can see. They do appear to be beating Labour for second, a complete turnaround from 2 years ago, but Labour + Libdem combined are still not enough to overhaul Jacob Rees-Mogg, so it's still pretty much a safe Tory seat, as it has been since its inception in 2010.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Oh and I should add that yes, as you head south from Bristol the terrain gets increasingly Brexity. Personally I think the Libdems are unlikely to reclaim Wells, Yeovil, Taunton Deane etc. for this reason. Mind you, I would never have expected them to be polling so strongly here, so what do I know. Corbyn is really unpopular, though, I have been picking up that much, so I guess it's possible the poll's right and Labour could indeed do really badly here, compared to the past.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Does anyone know of anywhere Labour are doing well, btw, to cheer us all up? The South West has never been much else but a sea of blue so I'm never going to have good news.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

shy labour voters
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Anyone else think Farage's announcement could backfire?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Went to Stockport and back this weekend - only poster boards I saw were Labour.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Anyone else think Farage's announcement could backfire?
It is at least possible that it won't be the simple boost for the Tories that some pundits have asserted.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Better late than never I guess...shades of the riots in London a few years ago when he was late for that too.
Joe Pike

Verified account

@joepike
Follow Follow @joepike
More
NEW: The Prime Minister will chair an emergency COBR meeting tomorrow to discuss the response to recent flooding.

That’s *5 days* after after floods hit Yorkshire and the East Midlands.

@itvcalendar

7:58 PM - 11 Nov 2019
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Gotta love the way this is phrased...
Calvin Robinson

Verified account

@calvinrobinson
Follow Follow @calvinrobinson
More
I am standing down as @brexitparty_uk's candidate in Broxtowe. It is the right thing to do.

I'll be supporting @VoteDarrenHenry to ensure we get a Conservative majority and #GetBrexitDone!

Thank you to everyone who supported our campaign, #Broxtowe4Brexit. An amazing team!
...as if it was his own decision and not one made for him.

Interesting - he used to be one of those self-proclaimed Tory teachers.