Thursday 14th November 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Thursday 14th November 2019

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ple-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 14th November 2019

Post by HindleA »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50397856" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-4989115 ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Claimed U-turn from Farage about BxP standing in Tory seats!
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Claimed U-turn from Farage about BxP standing in Tory seats!
That would be a good thing, however much I've been pleased to read about how the current plan isn't as helpful for the tories as they think it is.

The problem is imagining that you can make sense of Farage, because it makes sense for what he wants in a general sense for him not to get in the way of the tories winning this election, but is also makes sense from his apparent world view not to accept for a second what the tories are proposing and to fight what we must call a 'principled' fight for what they actually believe in. And egos and so on...
I still believe in a town called Hope
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

AS has pointed out that Priti Patel's "points-based system like Australia has" is slightly undermined by a former PM...
What do you think David Cameron, the former Tory prime minister, thinks of that? Apart from a low-key day of canvassing in Reading West, he does not seem to have played a role in the election so far, and it would be surprising if he were to start giving interviews criticising his successor. But on this issue we know what he thinks, because he covers it in his revealing and extremely readable memoir, For the Record. Writing about the Brexit campaign, he says:

By the time we got to June, referendum month, Boris [Johnson] and [Michael] Gove were pledging to introduce an ‘Australian-style points-based immigration system’ before the next general election if Britain voted leave. Quite apart from the fact that we already had the equivalent of a points system (clear categories for immigrants, with some channels such as unskilled labour from outside the EU set at zero), our system was tougher than Australia’s, and our level of immigration much lower.
Ah well, nice try...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Just a note about Farage's latest unveiling of a celebrity *cough* candidate...
Dewberry stood as an independent pro-Brexit candidate in the 8 June 2017 general election in Hull West and Hessle.[9][10][11] She came fourth out of seven candidates, with 5.5% of the vote.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

adam wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Claimed U-turn from Farage about BxP standing in Tory seats!
That would be a good thing, however much I've been pleased to read about how the current plan isn't as helpful for the tories as they think it is.

The problem is imagining that you can make sense of Farage, because it makes sense for what he wants in a general sense for him not to get in the way of the tories winning this election, but is also makes sense from his apparent world view not to accept for a second what the tories are proposing and to fight what we must call a 'principled' fight for what they actually believe in. And egos and so on...
A line of "I thought I could trust Johnson, but actually I can't" might resonate with a few.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good afternoon, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Diane Abbott
‏Verified account @HackneyAbbott
The Labour Party is committed to maintaining & extending Freedom of Movement rights. But the Tories will remove those rights from the EU 3 Million. We will maintain them. 1/2
Diane Abbott
‏Verified account @HackneyAbbott
The Tories break up families by barring spouses of British citizens, via an income requirement. Labour will scrap it, and extend Freedom of Movement rights to all those legally entitled to be here, including our own citizens among others. 2/2
5:23 AM - 14 Nov 2019
(cJA emphasis)
This is a big deal. Millions of UK citizens and their families remain adversely affected by the changes Theresa May implemented in 2012.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Quiet here today?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Looks as thought the Home Secretary is backing away from that "we will reduce immigration" - even what she eventually came out with sounds like a ready-made "Well we didn't actually promise" for the future.
norman smith

Verified account

@BBCNormanS
Follow Follow @BBCNormanS
More
So the sixth time Priti Patel is asked she eventually says .."we can look to reduce the numbers." Curious that it take six questions to confirm her own policy announcement......

3:59 PM - 14 Nov 2019
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

And everywhere the PM goes his adoring fans are waiting to greet him...
Paul Johnson

Verified account

@paul__johnson
3h3 hours ago
More
Boris Johnson meets the people:

Glastonbury: Visit cancelled because of protesters

Follows:

Stainforth: ‘I don’t want to meet you.'

Leeds: ‘Leave my town’

Doncaster: ‘You’ve a cheek. People have died because of austerity’

Rotherham: ‘Get back to London'

-Not going well
:D
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

In the end it looks like the Brexit Party "pact" with the Tories has held, though there do seem to be a few of their erstwhile candidates in Tory seats as "Independents".
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Protesters in Glastonbury is not very surprising but hecklers in Wells was a bit of a turn up!

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/pm-gets-mixed ... 9i73bnJblS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not entirely sure if they were anti-Tory or disappointed he hasn't delivered Brexit yet!
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Well I've got a bottle of wine, Question Time's on and I've got nothing better to do with myself so it seems I'm going to have to think of even more ways to say James Cleverly is thick because he's on again for the 5 billionth time.

Still, things could be worse, I could have pissed myself and had to wear some comedy trousers somebody found in a bin bag outside a Christmas panto rehearsal.

https://twitter.com/brexitparty_uk/stat ... wsrc%5Etfw
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Question Time report tonight comes from Brighton, which had the kind of audience you would imagine apart from one tiny tory scrote who seemed to be possessed by the spirit of a young William Hague. A nice lady in the audience tried reasoning with him which was obviously futile, had it been me I'd have tied him to a bed, got Max von Sydow round and exorcised the little fucker.

For the Tories we had James Cleverly...again. Now I might have mentioned this before but James is a bit thick. If James was a pair of winter socks or a jumper this would make him useful, but as a human it means he struggles to pass the Turing test. I have cooked food that made more convincingly sentient noises than James. This evening he tried to make a case for Tory ownership of the NHS claiming it was originally a Tory idea and because Tories had been in power longest during its existence without outright destroying it that was proof the Tories loved it. Which is the kind of brainwashing child abusers and hostage takers use. Thankfully there don't seem to many Patty Hearst's in the NHS given the reception Boris got in that hospital recently but sadly the wider public do seem to be suffering from a touch of Stockholm Syndrome and have been for some time. Also James is one of those men who should be discouraged from sporting the designer stubble look. Some of us can pull it off, other's end up looking like they've just woken up after a 14 hour bender soaked in their own piss.

For Labour we had Clive Lewis. Clive seemed to have 'smoked a doobie' in the green room such was his laid backed performance, he just chilled, didn't get involved in any backchat or arguing, just answered the questions with a wry smile then retreated back into whatever blissful experience he was otherwise enjoying. A possible clue to this behaviour was revealed in a final question about 'niceness' where he said the thing he'd heard most while knocking on doors was a frustration amongst the public about politicians arguing and shouting over one another and such like, so I assume he adopted this zen like position as a result. This was a mistake. Clive is one of Labour's most effective arguers and nigglers, so this evening his talents were wasted.

For the Bexit Party™ we had Alex Phillips. Who was apparently in Ukip, then the Tories, and now has returned to worship at the altar of her one true slimy god. Alex seems a rather exitable individual and did make some valid points about the Tories trying to lure some of those in her loathsome cult of away with shiny baubles, but her apparent disgust at this, while she decried all political pacts as 'undemocratic', did cause me considerable mirth. Especially when she claimed her lord Nigel had been 'forced' into dropping 300 candidates who'd paid for the priviledge because of 'circumstances'. I wanted to dislike her but in the end none of us want another Katie Hopkins so I wish her the best.

For Plaid Cymru we had the ever reliable Liz Saville Roberts, She was as sensible and reasonable as she always is. I'll let that speak for itself as I've run out of wine and you don't want me to start doing this with gin.

And finally we had Chris Boardman, who was great. A thoughtul seeming remainer who pointed out we could save the NHS billions by encouraging people to do some fucking exercise.