Saturday 23rd & Sunday 24th November 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Morning.
The Tories and associates openly declared "war"against their targeted groups ,financially penalising both in direct and indirect residuslidation of necessary support with exocet provision on those who could not to anything about their situation.A mild expectation in the financially better off in mutual beneficial terms however is of course "class war"
One reason ,of many,I do go big on the class thing is that it so "reverberates"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 23rd & Sunday 24th November 2019

Post by HindleA »

It is a"lifestyle choice "to become sick/disabled and not terminally ill enough not according to deemed script but not a lifestyle choice to go ape-shit to contribute to the betterment of others and ,of course to yourself in both the generality and specific.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

rob delaney
@robdelaney
206K people 34 & under registered to vote yesterday! Biggest day since election was announced & *biggest day in UK history* as far as I can find.
@UKLabour
’s voter reg. drive is working. Thank you volunteers & dynamos of democracy! Keep it up!
308k in total, that's a lot.

https://www.gov.uk/performance/register-to-vote" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Not even selfish just non seeing of actual self-interest.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Unless of course you actively enjoy expanding use of food banks ,increased homelessness ,needless deaths and making people jump through impossible hoops /have an overweaning desire to feel superior/blame the wrong people/blind yourself to your part you played.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The real battle is getting people to see that,there will always be people unpersuadable.I think,perhaps naively ,there are enough that aren't at some point.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ry-hancock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.jewishvoiceforlabour.org.uk ... ment-22712" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Michael Rosen is on fine form as he takes a jaundiced view of the posturings of Stephen Pollard (editor), Alex Brummer, Lee Harpin and other stellar contributors to the Jewish Chronicle and even more right-wing outlets."
What’s been particularly sad and pathetic is seeing various kinds of liberal commentators eagerly gobbling up the faux fight against antisemitism, not realising that they are being taken for a ride by this new right talking antisemitism one day and claiming to fight it the next.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Thread merge please, mods :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Make GP home visits a distinct separate contract and then how much funding (or not) the government is making available for it becomes far more transparent.

Like out of hours, however, within our current privatised system, you risk a fall in standard of care and lose the GPs familiarity with a chronic ill person's condition.

We should be nationalising primary care, not expanding the number of service contracts put out to tender.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... ook-claims" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The UK’s intelligence agencies were aware that Donald Trump may have been compromised by the Kremlin but Theresa May’s government – including then-foreign secretary Boris Johnson – chose not to pursue the matter for fear of offending the US president, a new book claims."

Trying to remember !& believe) Johnson might not always be lying, but failing in this case ..
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Bollox,I have appeared to inadvertently started a "duplication"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I blame the Tories.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:I blame the Tories.
Always a safe option tbf.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Thread merge please, mods :)
Done.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

I'm thinking of calling my printer Boris...keeps telling me that it has run out of paper but when I look it has plenty. Can't believe a word it says.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:Morning.
The Tories and associates openly declared "war"against their targeted groups ,financially penalising both in direct and indirect residuslidation of necessary support with exocet provision on those who could not to anything about their situation.A mild expectation in the financially better off in mutual beneficial terms however is of course "class war"
One reason ,of many,I do go big on the class thing is that it so "reverberates"
Tory policy serves the alpha male with natural tendencies toward fascism. Obsession with work, good health, survival of the fittest. They're tom cats strutting about their territory, running off the weak and vulnerable in order to preserve their little piece for themselves.

Meanwhile the female cat is quietly hunting with equal efficiency of her male counterpart, while doing all the extra work of raising kittens. She has no territory of her own and so is reliant on the goodwill of the local tom to let her come and go in safety.

So, if the weak and vulnerable and female cats get to vote for a tom cat, which tom cat would they vote for? Would they vote for the mean spirited scrapper of a tom with the big territory but limited goodwill or would they vote for the good natured, laid back tom with only a tiny territory to share?

This is the kind of choice that many voters think they have. They're wrong, of course, because we're not cats and whoever we vote for gets to rule the whole territory automatically. Being tough and scrappy to win the territory isn't necessary in a modern democracy, the only thing that matters is goodwill. So why don't we vote for the laid back tom? All the other alpha males of course, who do everything in their power to ensure that nice guys don't win, whispering in the ears of the women and the weak and the vulnerable that the generous leader who would look after them isn't "tough enough" to protect their territory.

The irony of all this, of course, is that Boris Johnson, the supposedly scrappy alpha male, isn't much of a scrapper, he's the cat that sneaks round all the other cats houses to nick their dinner. In alpha cat terms he shouldn't win, but we're not cats, alas, so he probably will.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I've just received an election communication from the Conservatives (Penny Mordaunt) which thanks me for all my support in the past.

Edited to add - the letter is directed at postal voters.
Last edited by PorFavor on Sat 23 Nov, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@adam
Your post on yesterday's thread regarding Sturgeon is good.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Daniel Emery

Verified account

@DemeryUK
3h3 hours ago
More
The fact I see dozen of Torys and Brexit fans paying tribute to Kate Hoey - but not a single piece from anyone in the Labour Party - or anyone in Vauxhall - tells you all you need to know.
Yep, pretty much this.

Loads of Tories saying that she's the only Labour MP that they respect - there's clearly a reason for that...

Good riddance.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

There is nothing "natural" about the "weak" and "vulnerable",it is a societal enacted decision to either attend to the situational vagaries of life,no one is exempt from ,or not,or indeed actively exacerbate and create vulnerability.IMHO.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Jonathan Freedland's article yesterday evening didn't end up interesting me as much as the six-hundred+ comments below the line responding to it. The combination of a handful of established Tory-supporting commentators and many I don't recognise seeing before, relatively small total number of posts and the thread's recent closure made it a fascinating snapshot.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:I've just received an election communication from the Conservatives (Penny Mordaunt) which thanks me for all my support in the past.

Edited to add - the letter is directed at postal voters.
You could reply "and you will get just as much support from me in the future".
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.com/2019/1 ... e.html?m=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Mr citizen reports a couple incidents of personal hostility towards Labour canvassers this morning.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

In the wild small or ill cats are more vulnerable than big and healthy cats.

So cats have taken the very sensible decision to not live in the wild for the most part but to move in with humans from which they successfully demand food, warmth and cuddles.

Because, unlike the average Tory voter, cats aren't stupid.

The BBC featured a voter today who is reliant on foodbanks but is going to vote for Boris Johnson, not because she agrees with Tory policies, but because she thinks he's determined to get things done, or something. Her reasoning was pretty incomprehensible and not very convincing. Leaves you wondering if she was a real person. Surely real people make more sense than that? Perhaps she really wanted to say "because he'll throw all the foreign people out" but knew that wouldn't be acceptable so made up something really lame instead. I don't know. Not very encouraging, though. Which is presumably why the BBC showed it.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

And when I call Tory voters "stupid" I'm not passing judgement on their academic ability, I'm calling into question their basic survival instincts that would lead them to vote away healthcare and sickness benefit and access to decent housing and a myriad of other things their actual life could one day come to depend upon.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:There is nothing "natural" about the "weak" and "vulnerable",it is a societal enacted decision to either attend to the situational vagaries of life,no one is exempt from ,or not,or indeed actively exacerbate and create vulnerability.IMHO.
You understand requiring help in no way diminishes the person needing it.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:And when I call Tory voters "stupid" I'm not passing judgement on their academic ability, I'm calling into question their basic survival instincts that would lead them to vote away healthcare and sickness benefit and access to decent housing and a myriad of other things their actual life could one day come to depend upon.
Exactly! Jeepers, what are these people thinking?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Lashing out at those closest, those who care, the people showing up, daily working in the community isn't new but it's not productive. I'm frightened for those lashing out at those closest to them. I think they may decide to sink instead of calling for help when it's needed out of fear, shame or pride.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

citizenJA wrote:Mr citizen reports a couple incidents of personal hostility towards Labour canvassers this morning.
Thankfully, it's not norm and Labour support continues.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

We all require help,it is just some isn't so obvious or visible.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Too many resent the "unfairness"of levelling the platform and inuring for the potential.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I think I'm just getting fed up of people who admit they have voted Tory in recent years moaning about the state of the bus service or the broken computers in the library as if these things have nothing to do with their choice at the ballot box. People old enough to remember the state the Tories left the country in back in 1997 and were sensible enough then to dump them for Labour but now seem to accept Tory decay as somehow inevitable. We're suffering from a kind of post - millennial fatalism. We've stopped believing in better. We're a top heavy aging society without enough young people to inject optimism and hope and counter the apathetic resignation of the older, slightly more comfortably off voter who is afraid of change more than they are afraid of failing services.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

...a Labour government implementing all or the major part of this manifesto will mean the economy as a whole will end a decade of low output and wage growth that has stifled UK innovation and productivity growth.
- Simon Wren-Lewis
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The Tories actively feed both off and into that.Add the fakery of "protecting" those you deem "deserving"whilst actually creating to convince yourself and others in self appreciation and you have a lethal combination.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://labour.org.uk/press/labour-laun ... -services/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Reading pdf Labour's youth manifesto
Education is a right for all, not just a privileged few. Young people need a broad education that equips them with the knowledge and skills they need to learn and earn.
reminded me of a post under Freedland's article opposed to this policy.
...send your kids to the best possible school within your means...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

httpshttps://stv.tv/amp/1442604-callous-carers-left-disabled-man-in-bath-overnight/?__twitter_impression=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Carers"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Our ballot papers arrived on Thursday btw.
When should we expect the Tory manifesto?
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I think it's meant to be coming out tomorrow. But I get your drift!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

A 'phone call was all it would have taken,such an arduous task I am sure you agree.Some areas even have a dedicated "lifting -up") dedicated service.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

A few word repeated phrase is hardly a manifesto,some would say
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:httpshttps://stv.tv/amp/1442604-callous-carers-left-disabled-man-in-bath-overnight/?__twitter_impression=true

"Carers"
The link don't work . . .
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://stv.tv/news/west-central/144260 ... overnight/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Try this.

Edited : PTO
Last edited by Willow904 on Sat 23 Nov, 2019 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.