Wednesday 27th November 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wednesday 27th November 2019

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 27th November 2019

Post by HindleA »

Re
Gilsey's question about AN question to Corbyn-raising dividend tax to income tax level,estimated to raise 9billion.If you are a BR taxpayer,currently 7.5% ie treating the same as income.I think ,it is not unknown for me to be wrong
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

NearlyLegal pointing out the Tories intend to make intentional trespass a criminal offence.If they get it I'm prosecuting all Tory invaders crossing the threshold without expressed permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Didn't you see the "Tories will be prosecuted "sign?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Some bollox about Labour abolishing the single occupancy 25% CT discount circulating apparently.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

In fact they are abolishing single occupants.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

It's in the small print.Always read the small print.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

A cat tax,good grief.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Constance stop shredding your Corbyn poster,it was only a joke
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Neil asked JC who would lead the Leave campaign if the confirmatory vote came about, Andy Burnham seems to be sticking his hand up.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Well that's my (yet another unpaid )duty done to cat PF to make some kind of response.Time for bed,if I can be arsed,maybe the settee.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
Corbyn reveals dossier of official documents which he says proves NHS 'up for sale' in UK-US trade talks (Politics Live, Guardian)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

HindleA wrote:Re
Gilsey's question about AN question to Corbyn-raising dividend tax to income tax level,estimated to raise 9billion.If you are a BR taxpayer,currently 7.5% ie treating the same as income.I think ,it is not unknown for me to be wrong
I confess to not having paid much attention to the nitty-gritty of the manifesto, but I see now. Seems fair to me.
Dividends are currently taxed at a lower rate than income. But in a move that will hit entrepreneurs and the self-employed who pay themselves through dividends, as well as savers with money in the stock market, Labour plans to align dividend tax and income tax.
Most employed/retired people would have their investments in ISAs so dividends not taxable anyway, can't feel any sympathy for anyone rich enough to have so much invested they can't fit it in an ISA.

I'm not qualified to comment on the effect on pension schemes.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/new ... nsion.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Electoral Reform Society
@electoralreform
NEW: 659,666 people registered to vote yesterday - the highest number on record for a single day
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Sky News lapping up Labour's big unredacted NHS trade documents press conference, clearly enjoying the drama.

BBC preferring to aggressively interrogate an SNP representative on Scottish education policy (not aware we've got a Scottish Parliament election coming up - am I missing something?!)
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I am, of course, only joking.

Devolution creates some strange anomalies in terms of GE campaigns which become a strange blend of national and regional offers, with an awful lot of the conversation being presented as "national" policy when often it is only relevant to England.

These contradictions are most noticeable when Nicola Sturgeon talks of Boris Johnson selling off the NHS, devolved in Scotland, but vulnerable to UK trade policy, thus revealing the limits of devolution. Her arguments are aimed at independence, but they also make a very strong case for an English Parliament, equivalent to the other devolved bodies, with a higher tier UK wide governance structure to deal with non-devolved matters, with more balanced input from the smaller countries.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

gilsey wrote:Electoral Reform Society
@electoralreform
NEW: 659,666 people registered to vote yesterday - the highest number on record for a single day
But according to certain DATA EXPERTS, this doesn't matter.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Willow904 wrote:I am, of course, only joking.

Devolution creates some strange anomalies in terms of GE campaigns which become a strange blend of national and regional offers, with an awful lot of the conversation being presented as "national" policy when often it is only relevant to England.

These contradictions are most noticeable when Nicola Sturgeon talks of Boris Johnson selling off the NHS, devolved in Scotland, but vulnerable to UK trade policy, thus revealing the limits of devolution. Her arguments are aimed at independence, but they also make a very strong case for an English Parliament, equivalent to the other devolved bodies, with a higher tier UK wide governance structure to deal with non-devolved matters, with more balanced input from the smaller countries.
Really, one thing that should come out of this whole shebang in the medium term is some kind of reworked and more formally federal UK - there is no other future for the country as it is currently constituted. But it's almost impossible to see it it happening.
I still believe in a town called Hope
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

adam wrote:
Willow904 wrote:I am, of course, only joking.

Really, one thing that should come out of this whole shebang in the medium term is some kind of reworked and more formally federal UK - there is no other future for the country as it is currently constituted. But it's almost impossible to see it it happening.
Yes, agree. Ed Miliband was right in 2015 to prioritise constitutional reform over our relationship with the EU but voter response to that shows how little awareness there is among the public that constitutional reform is needed. Even political journalists had little appetite to discuss it compared to other issues.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

BTW if anyone is wondering where Jacob Rees-Mogg is I really don't know. With the election campaign he no longer has his spot in the local paper and Somerset Live is reporting that's he's not responding to requests for interviews. His twitter feed isn't run by himself. It suggests he's out and about in the constituency, but it's all much more low key than previous years and next to no campaign leaflets etc (we've been buried in a literal avalanche of Libdem ones over the last couple of weeks). Not sure if it's complacency or genuine gone into hiding. He's never been one for doing hustings so you can't read too much into him not appearing for that but even so, it's been unusually quiet from him and the local Tory party.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

His absence from the national Tory campaign is notable in itself, I hope someone does some digging there (all the more so given what you have posted)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

According to the G's Saturday TV guide, Andrew Neil interviews scheduled for today, no name given, and tomorrow, Jo Swinson.
Apparently now Jo Swinson 4 Dec, Farage 5 Dec.
BBC News Press Team
@BBCNewsPR
Replying to
@BBCNewsPR
and
@afneil
For those asking when Boris Johnson's interview will take place, we're in ongoing discussions with his team but we haven't yet been able to fix a date
I did think the saving grace of JC's interview was that it's over and there's still more than 2 weeks to go.

What are the BBC going to do if BJ never shows, is the question.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Boris Johnson's stock answer to nearly every question seems to be that he has visited a hospital in (pick a place).
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

gilsey wrote:According to the G's Saturday TV guide, Andrew Neil interviews scheduled for today, no name given, and tomorrow, Jo Swinson.
Apparently now Jo Swinson 4 Dec, Farage 5 Dec.
BBC News Press Team
@BBCNewsPR
Replying to
@BBCNewsPR
and
@afneil
For those asking when Boris Johnson's interview will take place, we're in ongoing discussions with his team but we haven't yet been able to fix a date
I did think the saving grace of JC's interview was that it's over and there's still more than 2 weeks to go.

What are the BBC going to do if BJ never shows, is the question.
And what will they do if the tories say "No, x is going to do it instead".
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I could almost approve of that.

Watching Rishi Sunak being dismembered would be a joy.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Some in the media at least do seem to be becoming irritated with Johnson's scrutiny dodging tactics, his outright refusing to be interviewed by Neil might go down well at all.

(and that alone would reflect on Corbyn - and the others who showed up - a bit better)
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

There are a number of interesting posts on the graun's daily politics - here and here for example - from people saying that whilst this might not be a picture of a smoking gun in a frame with a label saying 'smoking gun' attached, they are decent evidence of what Corbyn is claiming of them.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Theo Usherwood

@theousherwood

Labour source tells me BBC informed them Boris Johnson would do an Andrew Neil interview next week.

Turns out no such agreement had been reached.

If Tory leader isn't subjected to same scrutiny as Mr Corbyn, but his team was told he would be, that's a problem for the BBC. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … (Politics Live, Guardian)

Edited - tidy up
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Turns out today is quite a big day for passings on.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

adam wrote:There are a number of interesting posts on the graun's daily politics - here and here for example - from people saying that whilst this might not be a picture of a smoking gun in a frame with a label saying 'smoking gun' attached, they are decent evidence of what Corbyn is claiming of them.
Apparently they were leaked to journalists as well as Labour, at the end of October.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Beth Rigby
@BethRigby
Sturgeon, Corbyn, Swinson, Farage all step up for
@afneil
interviews. Johnson’s team “in ongoing discussions”. I’m surprised as I thought the BBC had nailed down all the leaders as part of the week-long programming
Beth Rigby is 'surprised'.
Many others are outraged but not at all surprised.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Anybody who hasn't yet read Unreliable Memoirs and Falling Towards England, please do.

He would have liked that.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

He's a lunatic.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Not Clive James, Cummings.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Surely even the supine BBC can't just let Johnson not appear and leave it at that?

"No other interviews with Tories until the PM agrees" wouldn't be a bad line to take.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Lots of excellent suggestions on twitter for what the BBC should do instead, eg show the Eddie Mair interview, or give the others 10 mins each to trash the tory manifesto.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/q ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Queue of 21 ambulances outside hospital as patients reach 'desperation point'
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

The prime minister’s senior aide, Dominic Cummings, has resigned as a special adviser, according to a Cabinet Office source.

Cummings, who was a senior figure in the Vote Leave campaign before starting as an adviser to Boris Johnson in July. His appointment at No 10 came only four months after he was found in contempt of parliament for refusing to appear before MPs investigating false news stories during the EU referendum campaign.

Earlier today, he published a blog post warning pro-Brexit voters that a Conservative victory is not yet in the bag (see 5.16pm).

Responding to a query about whether or not the publication of the post constituted a breach of the general election purdah rules imposed on special advisers, a Cabinet Office source confirmed Cummings had “resigned following the dissolution of parliament” on 6 November.

While his resignation is understood to be a formality, it had been reported that Cummings intended to stay on as Johnson’s adviser, with the Tory election campaign being run by Isaac Levido.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Best for Britain's MRP poll says Labour 199, con 366.

YouGov's for the Times says 211, con 359.
the Times reports, at least 30 seats have relatively small projected margins of victory for the Conservatives. And the pollster warned that a relatively small fall in Tory support could deny the party’s suggested majority.
2 weeks to go.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I've seen lots of comment to the effect that YouGov's MRP model predicted a hung parliament in 2017, anyone know when it predicted it?
I'd be very surprised if it was 2 weeks ahead.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I think the tories not turning up for C4's climate debate will go down a storm with all those young people who've just registered to vote.