Friday 17th January 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 17th January 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 17th January 2020

Post by Willow904 »

https://amp.businessinsider.com/brexit- ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brexit will have soon cost the UK more than all its payments to the EU over the past 47 years put together
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Willow904 wrote:https://amp.businessinsider.com/brexit- ... ssion=true
Brexit will have soon cost the UK more than all its payments to the EU over the past 47 years put together
From last night's discussion on how new businesses might be making money, I can't find a video of it but it reminded me of this Fry and Laurie sketch.
S: Yes, now first things first. What exactly is the product you're hoping to market.

H: Ah, yes. Brought some samples along as a matter of fact. H gets out two small sachets. Haven't actually settled on brand names yet. But there's basically two products. The blue sachet is cocaine and the red is heroin.

S: I'm sorry?

H: My own market research and some work undertaken by the packaging and graphics team has revealed that cocaine is thought of as a fresher, brighter product, hence the blue, and heroin is warmer and more passionate, therefore red. You disagree? I'd value your input.

S: You're planning to distribute and sell drugs?

H: On the button. The market's there, I'm ready to go, and let's face it - Europe's open for business.

S: Ye-e-es.

H: Problem?

S: Possibly. Possibly.
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Shocked etc..
Retail sales volumes fell by 0.6% in December, the fifth monthly decline in a row. Economists has expected a rise to 0.5%.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Well yesterday's fuss about RLB and abortion has at least showed how ready certain "progressives" are to recycle anti-Catholic tropes.

Not at all impressed, stop it now.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

adam wrote:Shocked etc..
Retail sales volumes fell by 0.6% in December, the fifth monthly decline in a row. Economists has expected a rise to 0.5%.

I take it, then, that it was that old favourite: unexpected.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

And "better/worse than expected" frequently begs the question "*who* expected"??
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Re "progressives eg.,abortion and assisted dying etc particularly the latter,you don't have to have faith to be extremely conflicted/uncomfortable with the issues.I have no faith,equally none in the State sanctioning of elimination of the living,no matter what supposed safeguards in place ,will not inevitably to an ever increasing number allowable.I don't see anything particularly progressive about a Societal signal that certain categories of people are of less worth.It isn't a simplistic binary thing between "religion and antiquated beliefs "and" progression".Progression can equally mean ensuring that Society more adequately accounts for sickness/disability.To do that ,a first step is not to deem it a "burden"
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Decent result for Labour in last night's Bristol byelection, the first principal authority contest of 2020 (or indeed post-GE)

More later......
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@HindleA

It's a burden (at the very least) to a lot of people who have sickness and\or disabilities.

I'm aware of the possible pitfalls of "voluntary euthanasia" but, on balance, I'm in favour of it. It shouldn't be beyond the wit of man\woman to obviate the risks (in so far as it's possible to ever completely obviate the risks of anything).
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

My late grandmother was a long term member of EXIT, and my dad (her son) also sympathised.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good afternoon, everyone.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Oh, that reminds me (thanks citizenJA) -

Good morfternoon.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@PF my better half,decided she had had enough and didn't pursue continued dialysis and even look at possible treatment for cancer ie.she decided to die as she wished ie.To die at home rather than trundle between treatments in a hospital,which may or at not have extended her life or indeed in a hospice in an unfamiliar place ringing a bell and hoping she didn't have an accident before someone came.I have no wish/it is not my place to force people to endure what they don't wish to endure.I fully respect your view.It ain't easy.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

And bang on cue re my above "no popery" comment, Paul Mason wades in.

Is he having some sort of breakdown?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

And my point about "burden"is really about the relentless narrative that deems people as a burden to Society,not least in peoples' views of themselves should they be ill.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

It is good to disagree
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Indeed essential.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

No it isn't
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:And my point about "burden"is really about the relentless narrative that deems people as a burden to Society,not least in peoples' views of themselves should they be ill.
Thanks. I realise that that's your point - but sometimes you seem to stray from that line. I'll cut you more slack in future!

Sometimes.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Most probably an idealist (in this area at least)in an unideal World and rather accept they may be limitations much rather attempt to make the World(Society)more ideal.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

To be made to reflect on /question your own views is healthy.Being too certain isn't.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -immigrant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

PF reveals she has me on a leash.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:PF reveals she has me on a leash.
[youtube]8cyTzc96SXA[/youtube]
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Afternoon all. I'm giving a talk in a couple of weeks so have been busy Powerpointing...
Not open for comment - probably wise...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Sam Freedman

@Samfr
2h2 hours ago
MoreSam Freedman Retweeted Christopher Hope
Proposal: given Francois is so desperate to bring in Brexit with a commemorative moment how about we dress him in union jack spandex and fire him from a cannon into the Thames? Far more memorable than a mere bong.
:D
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Following JA's post from yesterday here's a nice demographic on voter movement

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/pse ... n2019.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://jacobinmag.com/2020/01/rebecca- ... -labour-uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Following JA's post from yesterday here's a nice demographic on voter movement

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/pse ... n2019.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The Conservatives were notably static.
---
Most significant was the significant group of Conservative Remainers who (mostly) did not defect to other parties.
"
Tory voters loyally voting Tory every time

Civic engagement takes time, effort and it's as important to individuals' survival and well-being as caring for personal health and the health of those loved. Stop watching television and join Liverpool's boycott on lying publications. Advertising and the manipulation it succeeds doing well isn't a conspiracy theory. Resources spent on the industry tell the true story.

If the direction of the Labour party doesn't suit, get in there and straighten it out. Don't quit. Take time away when necessary but never give up. It's not easy. Most everyone works for a living, waged or unwaged. Working some more in a political party with others takes time and effort. Protect individual best interests together. Life isn't a zero-sum game. Everyone can do well.

I'm more disappointed than words can express over the miserable turnout and result of the last GE. None of us can afford a malicious and dishonest Tory government. Not even Tories can afford it. They ought to vote Labour. The world is consuming while Trump, Johnson and that Australian guy languish in three significant positions. Jesus christ almighty.

If nothing else, vote Labour, every single time. It won't solve every problem but I'm convinced voting Labour is better than voting for someone else or not voting at all.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Afternoon all. I'm giving a talk in a couple of weeks so have been busy Powerpointing...
Like in the Sistine Chapel?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Afternoon all. I'm giving a talk in a couple of weeks so have been busy Powerpointing...
I'm sorry for anyone ignorant of PorFavor's written works.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

citizenJA wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Following JA's post from yesterday here's a nice demographic on voter movement

"The Conservatives were notably static.
---
Most significant was the significant group of Conservative Remainers who (mostly) did not defect to other parties.
"
One thing quite interesting about this is that polling during the campaign said that for tory remainers, the EU was the most important issue, and for Labour leavers, it was a long way down the list.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
I'm sorry for anyone ignorant of PorFavor's written works.
Not quite like that but I get the meaning.

I went to the Sistine when they were halfway through the cleaning and the difference was truly astonishing.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Hardly a week goes by in the years I've known my fellow flythenesters I don't learn in a few sentences from a couple of messages exchanged here important information poor bastards on their own can't figure out in a lifetime. Working together, we're individually strengthened.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:---
I went to the Sistine when they were halfway through the cleaning and the difference was truly astonishing.
(cJA edit)
Michelangelo doodled?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@Cja

In the interests of the imparting of crucial education,the pull the finger request and fart response is a long and noble tradition.Not sure if it got into the citizenship test.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Well it is in our family.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

As well as using mothers' as a goalpost should the need arise
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

One local council byelection yesterday:

Bristol - Labour hold, thus preserving their narrow majority on the council ahead of this year's all out elections, with almost exactly 40% of the vote - little changed since the 2016 elections on new boundaries when this two member ward split 1Lab/1C; the similar predecessor ward generally had labour on top in recent years, but it was often close and four years ago confirmed that trend (Labour topped the poll, but the two Tories narrowly finished ahead of the second Labour candidate) This time round though Labour won more comfortably as the Tories dipped below 30% - the councillor they elected here defected to the LibDems last year and they were the main beneficiaries now, doubling their share four years ago. Greens finished ahead of LibDems then, but now dropped around 5 points to 8%.

Five contests next week - four in one London council (Brent, including a dual vacancy) and the other in Scotland.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

citizenJA wrote:Hardly a week goes by in the years I've known my fellow flythenesters I don't learn in a few sentences from a couple of messages exchanged here important information poor bastards on their own can't figure out in a lifetime. Working together, we're individually strengthened.
Remember when we had "Mr Google-it" (otherwise known as SpinningHugo)? Those were the (very informative) days.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Hardly a week goes by in the years I've known my fellow flythenesters I don't learn in a few sentences from a couple of messages exchanged here important information poor bastards on their own can't figure out in a lifetime. Working together, we're individually strengthened.
Remember when we had "Mr Google-it" (otherwise known as SpinningHugo)? Those were the (very informative) days.
My post has greater value with your perceptive response to it.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Well it is in our family.
Mine too. That's an example of a great cultural tradition making it onto a different continent and people, isn't it? :dance:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Thanks AK.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA