Weds 31st December 2014 & Thurs 1st January 2015 - NEW YEAR

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Re: Weds 31st December 2014 & Thurs 1st January 2015 - NEW Y

Post by ErnstRemarx »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Ian Katz as editor of The Guardian?

Wouldn't have thought so - why move to Newsnight last year if he thought there'd be a chance of him getting the editorship?

I'd have thought Jonathan Freedland - currently Executive Editor - was more likely.
Which might improve things a bit - he isn't as dismissive of Labour/Ed as most senior people at the paper.

Though that makes one think he won't get it! :roll:
Given their current trajectory at the Graun, I wouldn't be too shocked if Dacre rocked up as the new editor.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Oh Dear, to ukippy for ukippery
UKIP Councillor Refuses To Back Janice Atkinson

http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/ukip/ukip ... cQ.twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-30 ... KQWgXs0-g0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A timely editiorial by my new read...
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-eb ... KQYj3s0-g0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And, indeed, another. Ignore the title and the opening premise of the article and enjoy one of the best descriptions around of what really happened from 2007 onwards.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

By Christ the Telegraph have been busy this Christmas, somewhat expect Lavery has been quoted out of context a tad, if Labour's elite are frightening **** knows what he would say about the Tories own version?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... lains.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Learn something new about Labour every day, didn't know they had...
LABOUR ANIMAL WELFARE SOCIETY CAMPAIGN
Just signed up for updates :)
http://www.labouranimalwelfaresociety.org.uk/2014/12/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:I'd take those two predicted gains made by Dale in the Gloucester blog, readily.
I think David Drew should do it for Labour in Stroud. Don't know the other guy or Gloucester itself well enough.
Working on the wild side.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:By Christ the Telegraph have been busy this Christmas, somewhat expect Lavery has been quoted out of context a tad, if Labour's elite are frightening **** knows what he would say about the Tories own version?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... lains.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lavery's comments are relatively mild, I thought. If there's a problem with PPC selection, it's pretty much at regional level, and because of the NEC imposing or overruling CLPs. The procedural issues very much favour whte, male, photogenic, well funded candidates, and the undoubted 'mates' network of people like Progress try to ensure that the results are fixed as far as possible. Our constituency, for example, having had a male MP stand down, should have been - and was going to be - an all women shortlist. That didn't happen, and there are those of us that know why. So we get an open shortlist instead, and thus now have the PPC that we currently 'enjoy' - complete with backing from at least one dodgy backer and the open connivance of Region. Charming.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Otto English @Otto_English · 6h 6 hours ago
A hilarious round up of every bonkers UKIP story of the year via @WomenDefyUKIP https://exposingukip.wordpress.com/2014 ... -scandals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
And if you haven't already ... enjoy the UKIP Shipping Forecast here: https://soundcloud.com/nicholas-pegg/uk ... g-forecast
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
GENERAL ELECTION PREDICTIONS 16: DORSET
http://www.iaindale.com/posts/2014/12/3 ... um=twitter
GENERAL ELECTION PREDICTIONS 17: GLOUCESTERSHIRE
http://iaindale.com/posts/2014/12/31/ge ... estershire
He's got Con holding on to South Dorset, as they probably will. Would love a Lab gain there.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:By Christ the Telegraph have been busy this Christmas, somewhat expect Lavery has been quoted out of context a tad, if Labour's elite are frightening **** knows what he would say about the Tories own version?

Who are this mysterious elite who despise Northerners anyway? By my reckoning at least a third of the current Shadow Cabinet have 'regional' accents (from Paisley to Birmingham), so that claim doesn't hold water; and while Labour still have work to do in promoting the cause of ethnic candidates more than 70% of sitting MPs who can be defined as having an "ethnic background" are Labour MPs, the remainder being Tories - not one single sitting Lib Dem is non-white, and they have only ever had one Indian MP as far as I can recall. More Telegraph shit stirring.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

GENERAL ELECTION PREDICTIONS 18: SURREY
http://www.iaindale.com/posts/2014/12/3 ... um=twitter
Not sure this one is worth looking at ... starts out with Conservative having 11 seats ... ends with Conservatives having 11 seats.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

BBC Breaking News ‏@BBCBreaking 6m6 minutes ago
Administrators of collapsed delivery firm City Link announce 2,356 job losses after bid to buy the company fails http://bbc.in/1EJgnaU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

No 2. They'll have to do it in the play-offs then. Very fierce competition for the automatics this year.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

frightful_oik wrote:No 2. They'll have to do it in the play-offs then. Very fierce competition for the automatics this year.
I take it we're talking about this, frightful oik?

2. Norwich City will be promoted to the Premier League.

It sort of hung there before I realised what you were on about. I really wouldn't know - but as Iain Dale is a Hammers fan, it doesn't seem likely to be mere wishful thinking on his part.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Where are you all?

Good morning peeps.
I've just arrived home in Stoke, comrades.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
frightful_oik wrote:No 2. They'll have to do it in the play-offs then. Very fierce competition for the automatics this year.

It sort of hung there before I realised what you were on about. I really wouldn't know - but as Iain Dale is a Hammers fan, it doesn't seem likely to be mere wishful thinking on his part.

Dilligaf.

As they say.

I believe his prediction of three party leaders resigning by the end of the year requires a Labour victory.

Which would make them:

Cameron, Clegg and Farage.

A Tory government would only generate two (Miliband/Clegg) and a Tory/Dem coalition also 2 (Cameron/Miliband).
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Administrators of collapsed delivery firm City Link announce 2,356 job losses after bid to buy the company fails http://bbc.in/1EJgnaU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do you reckon veteran venture hedge fund capitalist, Moulton, the owner of CityLink, will lose his house(s)?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
frightful_oik wrote:
I believe his prediction of three party leaders resigning by the end of the year requires a Labour victory.

Which would make them:

A Tory government would only generate two (Miliband/Clegg) and a Tory/Dem coalition also 2 (Cameron/Miliband).
From your post(s) to reality late May 2015.

edited to add my poor formatting skill at this time made your quotes unclear who said what - the thread is clear, however, though my post here is less so.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Do you reckon veteran venture hedge fund capitalist, Moulton, the owner of CityLink, will lose his house(s)?
I never tire of watching this JA, two years old now, but by fuck it still applies, the dodgy economics espoused by Moulton, his sneery attitude, Leadsom out of her depth, and Krugman, cool as a cucumber swatting the loathsome bastards away like an annoying fly.

[youtube]_r-AKruzmkk[/youtube]
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Dilligaf.

As they say.

Which would make them:

A Labour victory could also be considered the driver for Nick Robinson's departure. Which is nice.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ErnstRemarx wrote:http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-30 ... KQWgXs0-g0

A timely editiorial by my new read...
The Morning Star looks like my new read too, ErnstRemarx.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
I never tire of watching this JA, two years old now, but by fuck it still applies, the dodgy economics espoused by Moulton, his sneery attitude, Leadsom out of her depth, and Krugman, cool as a cucumber swatting the loathsome bastards away like an annoying fly.
I watched almost five minutes of the nine minute exchange - How's your private sector doing, Moulton? Picking up public sector jobs, huh, is it? The god damn Royal Mail sell-off turning public sector workers into private sector workers, how'd all that go, Mister Moulton? God damn May 2012 that Moulton sat opposite Krugman (apologies for not remembering the name of the person sitting on Moulton's left nor the host of the program) & tells us all the State is too big.

They have no shame. None.

Krugman is speaking a language they refuse to understand; it's wilful ignorance, a kind of faith-based view of reality verifiably at odds with what is going on.

Many thanks for the video. I managed to post some on the G threads regarding Moulton's failure with CityLink.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

[youtube]_r-AKruzmkk[/youtube]
Those numbers he quotes for government share of the economy are utter bollocks - "we went from 30-odd % to pushing 50%"

Here you go...

1997-98.....37.0
1998-99.....36.3
1999-00.....35.9
2000-01.....36.2
2001-02.....37.2
2002-03.....37.9
2003-04.....38.3
2004-05.....39.8
2005-06.....39.8
2006-07.....39.6
2007-08.....39.9
2008-09.....43.1
2009-10.....45.3
2010-11.....44.5
2011-12.....43.1
2012-13.....43.2
2013-14.....41.6
2014-15.....42.5

The reason it rises is - obviously - GDP drops in a recession, and that Darling accelerated capital spending to mitigate the impact of the recession.

So no, it wasn't 30-odd % and no, it wasn't pushing 50 either. It's in the range of 35.9 - 45.3.

And take a look at the four years before the crash - quite amazing that it's so stable at just under 40.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

You're very much welcome JA, Krugman two and half years ago got it dead right, confirmed by Osborne in his last budget, not about balancing any god-damned books, that has failed spectacularly, all to do with slashing the state.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Jesus Simon Calder is a blithering idiot.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 52076.html

Automation reliance is a known issue in the industry and has been for a long time. The following video is an AA training presentation known as - Children of the magenta line - (because like GPS the flight management system has a magenta line indicating the required path).

http://vimeo.com/29642656

There is sweet FA evidence that automation was an issue in this accident, but no Calder makes a huge fuss about a report everybody knew about.

If only we could tweet him with - stop it with the air accident stuff you are embarrassing yourself.

There probably is an issue that automation is great until it trips out (because the computer has no clue what to do). When this happens it hands over an aircraft to the pilot with standard controls. The problem is it tends then to hand a plane that is very tricky to fly. Not a new problem either, the Roselawn ATR crash way back when basically disconnected the autopilot when it could no longer fly straight and the pilot went straight in because he didn't expect it and didn't have time to react.
Release the Guardvarks.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Just brilliant ;-)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-12-31 at 18.02.22.png
Screen Shot 2014-12-31 at 18.02.22.png (84.71 KiB) Viewed 14219 times
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

CSA inquiry:
Lady Butler-Sloss said "there has to be a victim voice on the panel" but the survivors should not be able to chair it themselves or choose who fills the position.

She said: "You need someone who knows how to run things and if you get someone from an obscure background, with no background of establishment, they'll find it very difficult and may not be able actually to produce the goods.
So, in her opinion the victims should not choose the judge (fair enough), but the alleged perpetrators (the establishment) should.

The sheer arrogance of the last quoted sentence beggars belief.

The first place to look for a chair might just be outside the M25.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30640879
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Martin Rowson is top class.

His cartoons have given me an awful lot of pleasure.

His interview with DD was brilliant as well.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I got to this post - via Mike Sivier ... who introduces it like this:
... fellow blogger kittysjones, whose Greens: the myth of the “new left” debunked attracted an unprecedented amount of vitriol. When Ms Jones pointed this out, some of her more vocal antagonists challenged her, claiming in effect that she was making up claims about the strength of the attack on her.

One day in the life of a blogger is the result – and makes both grim and humorous reading.
Having just read through several recent blog posts by Craig Murray re his rejection by the SNP candidate vetting panel and the 'comments' (not sure what I should call some of them ... pure insults and ravings?) this blog post highlighting the vitriol from some supposedly Green party members (and I say supposedly because who knows really) rang more than a few bells. It seems that there are increasing numbers of people who forget all notions of basic decency and feel they can say anything they want no matter how uncalled for, insulting and even defamatory - in public.

But - having said all that - this blog post is well worth a read if only for the extended responses from kittysjones who is such an interesting writer.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Eric_WLothian wrote:CSA inquiry:
Lady Butler-Sloss said "there has to be a victim voice on the panel" but the survivors should not be able to chair it themselves or choose who fills the position.

She said: "You need someone who knows how to run things and if you get someone from an obscure background, with no background of establishment, they'll find it very difficult and may not be able actually to produce the goods.
So, in her opinion the victims should not choose the judge (fair enough), but the alleged perpetrators (the establishment) should.

The sheer arrogance of the last quoted sentence beggars belief.

The first place to look for a chair might just be outside the M25.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30640879
Agree. She's really just shown how unsuited for the job she was ... hasn't got a clue what is required and very patronising with it.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Sure no one minds if I try to spread a bit of New Year cheer?!

http://electoralcalculus.co.uk/conlist_ ... dSouthwark" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Sure no one minds if I try to spread a bit of New Year cheer?!

http://electoralcalculus.co.uk/conlist_ ... dSouthwark" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...and their prediction of Labour being 10 short of a majority has been revised to 5 short. :)
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Eric_WLothian wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Sure no one minds if I try to spread a bit of New Year cheer?!

...and their prediction of Labour being 10 short of a majority has been revised to 5 short. :)
Here's another:

http://electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/ ... Birmingham" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Yardley

:D
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Karl Turner MP ‏@KarlTurnerMP 55m55 minutes ago
Glad Butler-Sloss is getting nowhere near #ChildAbuseInquiry http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30640879" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Yup. That's it in a nutshell.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Still find it hard to believe that the SNP can over-turn some of those majorities, 10,000 up to in some cases 17,000 cushion majorities?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Still find it hard to believe that the SNP can over-turn some of those majorities, 10,000 up to in some cases 17,000 cushion majorities?
A point Mike Smithson has made several times, and why I suggested a few days ago that we need some regional polling before writing off Labour in Scotland.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

New Year’s Eve revellers without tickets warned away from London fireworks
London mayor says last year’s crowded conditions meant free event was ‘untenable’ but critics say he is privatising New Year

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... -fireworks
Could almost make me nostalgic for the days of Red Ken ... that devil man who used to organise so many free events across London.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
I got to this post - via Mike Sivier ... who introduces it like this:
... fellow blogger kittysjones, whose Greens: the myth of the “new left” debunked attracted an unprecedented amount of vitriol. When Ms Jones pointed this out, some of her more vocal antagonists challenged her, claiming in effect that she was making up claims about the strength of the attack on her.

One day in the life of a blogger is the result – and makes both grim and humorous reading.
Having just read through several recent blog posts by Craig Murray re his rejection by the SNP candidate vetting panel and the 'comments' (not sure what I should call some of them ... pure insults and ravings?) this blog post highlighting the vitriol from some supposedly Green party members (and I say supposedly because who knows really) rang more than a few bells. It seems that there are increasing numbers of people who forget all notions of basic decency and feel they can say anything they want no matter how uncalled for, insulting and even defamatory - in public.

But - having said all that - this blog post is well worth a read if only for the extended responses from kittysjones who is such an interesting writer.
I read a few day ago that kittysjones was having problems with on line trolls, but never guesses it was that bad!
What on earth gets into people?
I notice 2 of the "replies" from FB have now removed their profiles - cowards.
Last edited by AngryAsWell on Wed 31 Dec, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Just brilliant ;-)
So who is going to break the good news to Patrick Wintour? :popcorn:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote:

Here's another:

http://electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/ ... Birmingham" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Yardley

:D
It's on hold
Birmingham: Overview

Prediction: hold

MP: ()
County/Area: (Null)
Electorate: 0
Turnout: 0.00%
2010 Votes 2010 Share Predicted Votes
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Still find it hard to believe that the SNP can over-turn some of those majorities, 10,000 up to in some cases 17,000 cushion majorities?
A point Mike Smithson has made several times, and why I suggested a few days ago that we need some regional polling before writing off Labour in Scotland.
I find it difficult to accept the results of recent polls up here. (Things may settle down now that the leadership issue is settled). As far as the EC predictions are concerned, an STV article about an Ipsos poll said:
...according to seat predictor electoralcalculus.co.uk. The site assumes uniform swings across constituencies
If this is the case, they are applying an approx. 20% swing from Lab to SNP across the board - which must be nonsense.
http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/297 ... -tomorrow/
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Just brilliant ;-)
So who is going to break the good news to Patrick Wintour? :popcorn:
I might suggest that secretly a few Guardian journos take note of the results, if only to see how they are perceived by the left wing plebs. I bet Sparrow mentioned it a couple of years ago when he won - just as a joke though. Nobody else really picks the highs and the lows of the paper.

I suspect that the worst article winner will get a few sniggers, but I rather doubt Wintour gives a toss what we think of his Nick Clegg tinted glasses (and he is way too busy to notice).
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Organisation of London fireworks (£10) not going down well.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Laying here, with my dressing gown on, on NYE I find myself having nothing better to do but trawl about online, youtube at the moment, btw, did Osborne have the decency ever to apologise to Ed Balls over the Libor accusations, nah, thought not.

[youtube]IGWqq70i5fk[/youtube]
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Rightio, night all. It's Mapp & Lucia and Mr Holland's Hootenanny for me ... living the dream eh! :dance:

I wish you all a very Happy New Year, and see you all on the morrow.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Organisation of London fireworks (£10) not going down well.
Stick it in the campaign leaflets.

Same old Tories, using your taxes to party and then charging you to stand on your own streets.

You would think Boris's PR advisers would have stepped in.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014 ... on-walmart

Late winning entry for the 2014 Darwin awards.

This clearly makes the case for the NRA's argument that the best way to be safe is to give everyone a gun. A quick thinking bystander could have shot the toddler.

This is just nuts on so many levels. Hopefully somebody can explain to the kid that this was entirely his mothers fault.
Release the Guardvarks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

I'm off for the night
Have a Great time tonight (whatever you may be up to!)
See you in the New Year - and lets have the best New Year ever - starting May!

:fight: :fight:

:dance: :dance:
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Rightio, night all. It's Mapp & Lucia and Mr Holland's Hootenanny for me ... living the dream eh! :dance:

I wish you all a very Happy New Year, and see you all on the morrow.
Same to you Grim, me I am up at 5.45 for a 12 hour shift, oh how the once mighty have fallen.. :rock: