Monday 20th January 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 20th January 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 20th January 2020

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51167073" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WTF
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

The narrative is being written for her inevitable crushing defeat - her only fault was that she was "too honest"!

In "another place" that I frequent, her LibDem predecessor as MP for Yardley (quite a "colourful" character himself tbf) has some "interesting" observations on Phillips.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

From the above
and still, you know, young lads getting murdered on most streets in most cities.
Shocking news overnight about three men murdered in Seven Kings.

As it happens I know the area well as we lived very close when we were first married. Where it seems to have happened was near the steps at the side of the health Centre that go up to the High Road across the road from SK Station where I think the argument started.

Now, I note some fingers being pointed this morning as to who is to blame. But unless you put police on every street in London then it's difficult to see how this can be stopped. Unless there were police near the station who failed to stop the argument when it first started, the only people to blame are those with the knives.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

I listened to it .

Agree with the "authentic and frank" description, but what he leaves tactfully unsaid is that she came across as 'authentically and frankly' pretty dumb .

The last bit in the bbc article , on Johnson's lying and lightning changes of tack , is simply ... accurate .

As with Trump, much of the electorate just doesn't appear to mind !
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Though among the description of Phillips I would use of her,honesty,shall we say,doesn't feature highly.The WTF reaction was not just that aspect of JP piece but more general,not least the "flock"etc reference.More than one narrative or at least a series of intertwinning.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:Though among the description of Phillips I would use of her,honesty,shall we say,doesn't feature highly.The WTF reaction was not just that aspect of JP piece but more general,not least the "flock"etc reference.More than one narrative or at least a series of intertwinning.
They basically call Keir Starmer an unprincipled Blairite liar who's just pretending to support current left wing Labour policies to get elected as leader. Obviously keen to keep the left/right, old Labour/new Labour ultra factionalism and infighting going.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

There is nothing more dishonest in the pretence of impartial observer,part of the flock of misrepresentatives and deceitfully deliberately creating/exacerbating simplistic divisions/differing points of view,easy fit misassumptions,regardless
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/brit ... revolution" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

From that...
“Achieving this comes by working in partnership with the rest of the world and that will not change. With world leading universities and one of the best school systems in the world, we are and will continue to be a global leader in education.”
No, the "school system" is in a mess highlighted by that row between Oftsed and MAT CEOs over the 3 year GCSE row.

We haven't got a school "system."
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:
HindleA wrote:Though among the description of Phillips I would use of her,honesty,shall we say,doesn't feature highly.The WTF reaction was not just that aspect of JP piece but more general,not least the "flock"etc reference.More than one narrative or at least a series of intertwinning.
They basically call Keir Starmer an unprincipled Blairite liar who's just pretending to support current left wing Labour policies to get elected as leader. Obviously keen to keep the left/right, old Labour/new Labour ultra factionalism and infighting going.
Even though he was certainly not regarded as a"Blairite" when first elected to parliament in 2015.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Though ,it certainly doesn't help that the fervently fractionally ,shall we say,react,behave,exactly to the form deliberately engendered by such "reporting".Also degrees of self-fullfillng/confirming.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Egged on by the ever so loyal "traitor"accusers,some may have been in the party for over thirty seconds.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Well both Starmer and Becky LB are being caricatured by their opponents in this contest, though that is par for the course with leadership elections really.

At least they aren't caricaturing themselves, unlike a certain other hopeful :mrgreen:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Labour leadership: Starmer secures place on final ballot by getting Usdaw nomination (Politics Live, Guardian)
Edited to add -

And Angela Rayner.
Last edited by PorFavor on Mon 20 Jan, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'm relieved that Keir Starmer is "honoured" to be nominated by USDAW, as distinct from "humbled". That's definitely a point in his favour, so far as I'm concerned. I'm sick of all the Uriah Heep-ism that is in vogue at the moment.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... urence-fox" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:I'm relieved that Keir Starmer is "honoured" to be nominated by USDAW, as distinct from "humbled". That's definitely a point in his favour, so far as I'm concerned. I'm sick of all the Uriah Heep-ism that is in vogue at the moment.
same here
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

...the Home Office minister Brandon Lewis issued a statement rejecting outright the calls for a physical card to prove settled status, adding that the government’s policy would not change.

He tweeted: “I disagree with the results of today’s @UKHouseofLords vote. The EU settlement scheme grants #EUcitizens with a secure, digital status which can’t be lost, stolen or tampered with. There will be no change to our digital approach.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... e-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tony Hall’s unexpected announcement that he is to step down as director general of the BBC this summer means that one of the most important jobs in British public life will shortly be up for grabs.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... f-its-life" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I didn't know about his announcement until now
How big a deal is this?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

citizenJA wrote:
Tony Hall’s unexpected announcement that he is to step down as director general of the BBC this summer means that one of the most important jobs in British public life will shortly be up for grabs.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... f-its-life" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I didn't know about his announcement until now
How big a deal is this?
BBC faces 'dangerous moment' after Tony Hall's departure

Tory MPs seize on move with call for overhaul of funding model and end to licence fee
(Guardian)
Hope this explains it a bit.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/ ... -departure
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Presumably it would have some effect on Channel 4, too.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Presumably it would have some effect on Channel 4, too.
Thank you, PorFavor
:rock:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Phillips isn't going to make it onto the ballot is she?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

One hopes not.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Phillips isn't going to make it onto the ballot is she?
It doesn't look like it. I hope she doesn't start emoting all over the shop about it.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Evening all. Back from a gig...

The absolute state of this.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
June Mummery

Verified account

@june_mummery
Follow Follow @june_mummery
More
Attending the penultimate session of the #EuropeanParliament’s #FisheriesCommittee #PECHcommittee) with #BritishMEPs. The big question now is, who will be here to hold these people to account while they still control Britain’s waters, but the UK has no representation?
That's June Mummery. brexit MEP.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Apropos of nothing, come the revolution, anyone using "woke" or "wokeness" will be first up against the fuckin' wall...