Wednesday 12th February 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wednesday 12th February 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 12th February 2020

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... port-finds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... n-proposed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Higher than average home ownership. The Tories lost power in 1997, in part, because of the house price crash. Since they got back in, they have been pursuing policies to artificially prop up house prices, including things like help to buy, but also, significantly, pursuing policies that keep interest rates suppressed at the emergency low rate introduced as a temporary measure in response to the financial crash. Low interest rates = higher house prices. For many people in this country their sense of economic wellbeing is tied to the nominal value of their house. A false and unhelpful way of viewing the economy which the Tories nevertheless encourage because it creates support for policies designed to benefit the landlord classes at the expense of everyone else. I suspect it's their success in preventing an overdue and necessary adjustment in the housing market (at great cost to the wider economy and wages) which has enabled them to hang on to their reputation of "economic competence" despite all the evidence to the contrary.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -buttigieg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.resolutionfoundation.org/pu ... owns-blue/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

Without wishing to tempt fate, it looks like we're back in business.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://equalityhumanrights.com/en/our- ... cialSignIn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Sanders "declares victory"?

He won.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

right on
:rock:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/stri ... en-in-care" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... re-leavers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://consult.education.gov.uk/unregu ... n-in-care/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

right on
:rock:
Not heard anything from PF since then, though......
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ts-charter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... tereotypes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Unintentionally the design of the new benefit system means there will be many more losers in the north than the south, something that is currently receiving no attention in government.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I know nobody watches PMQs since the GE (even more so than before, I mean) but Corbyn got in a nice dig at the PM today.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I've been asleep.
The vote today in the European parliament for its resolution on the UK-EU trade talks (see 11.47am) means there will be no special treatment for the City of London, an MEP has claimed. In a statement after the vote Sven Giegold, economic policy spokesman for the Greens/European Free Alliance group in the parliament, said:

The time for special treatment of the UK is over. The British government’s attempt to give its London financial centre permanent and comprehensive access to the European financial system for decades is audacious. The EU will not let the decision as to which British financial market rules are compatible with European rules be taken out of its hands. Equivalence is not a permanent subscription, but a revocable privilege. What already applies to all countries outside the single market will also apply to Britain. If the United Kingdom deviates from the European rules, it must expect to lose access to the European financial market. (Politics Live, Guardian)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... confirm-id" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I know nobody watches PMQs since the GE (even more so than before, I mean) but Corbyn got in a nice dig at the PM today.
Very good
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@PorFavor
Delightful seeing you
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:I've been asleep.
The vote today in the European parliament for its resolution on the UK-EU trade talks (see 11.47am) means there will be no special treatment for the City of London, an MEP has claimed. In a statement after the vote Sven Giegold, economic policy spokesman for the Greens/European Free Alliance group in the parliament, said:

The time for special treatment of the UK is over. The British government’s attempt to give its London financial centre permanent and comprehensive access to the European financial system for decades is audacious. The EU will not let the decision as to which British financial market rules are compatible with European rules be taken out of its hands. Equivalence is not a permanent subscription, but a revocable privilege. What already applies to all countries outside the single market will also apply to Britain. If the United Kingdom deviates from the European rules, it must expect to lose access to the European financial market. (Politics Live, Guardian)
I think Tory government's UK trade policy is selling property and servants to those paying the Tory price for both.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... is-johnson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The environment bill, agriculture bill and fisheries bill replace the EU’s comprehensive framework directives, common agricultural policy and common fisheries policy.

All three bills contain major flaws that undermine the government’s claims. They leave gaps, fail on enforcement and oversight, open loopholes for future ministers to quietly backslide from existing standards, and turn what is currently a coherent system of long-term, stable regulation into a patchwork of competing and sometimes contradictory proposals.

These three post-Brexit bills bulldoze a hole through environmental protections
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good point about carte blanche for HS2, for example, but inadequate funding given in lump sums for other infrastructure work. Government finds other peoples' money and effort for a project but no coherent funding strategy for complementing endeavours. All of it ends up wasting peoples' time and resources.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... icy-voters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I know nobody watches PMQs since the GE (even more so than before, I mean) but Corbyn got in a nice dig at the PM today.
Lot of use that is now, though.

[youtube]modfq47onwU[/youtube]
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... otorcycles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Ava-Santina
@AvaSantina
At PMQs, @JeremyCorbyn
on Windrush deportations: 'If there was a case of a young white boy with blonde hair who later dabbled in class a drugs and conspired with a friend to beat up a Journalist would he deport that boy?'
12:15 PM · Feb 12, 2020
Ava-Santina
@AvaSantina
6h
Replying to
@AvaSantina
and
@jeremycorbyn
.@jeremycorbyn
: 'Or is it one rule for young black boys from the Caribbean and another for white boys from the United States?'
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I appreciate that Jeremy Corbyn couldn't have made that particular point before today's PMQs. But there have been plenty of previous opportunities.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000f95b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/li ... e-17721576" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:

Not disagreeing there should have been more of this sort of stuff before the election.

However laudable in principle, the "they go low, we go high" approach was never the right one for the sort of contest it was always likely to be.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Not disagreeing there should have been more of this sort of stuff before the election.

However laudable in principle, the "they go low, we go high" approach was never the right one for the sort of contest it was always likely to be.
Emphatically agree . I gather she's not really in the running but the only one I've seen being really outspoken against Boris the Menace is Emily Thornberry .
But perhaps I've been missing stuff !
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

All's fair in love,war,politics ...and crossword puzzles.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Evening all. Long day today - busy cataloguing until after 4pm and then up that London for a talk.

I picked up a copy of the Evening Standard - or rather had one thrust at me - and it had an front pages exclusive about Rory Stewart's plans for using TfL land for housing.

Shaun Bailey on crime? About an 1/8th of a page on page 19.

I think we can guess who the ES has decided to support for London Mayor...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

frog222 wrote:Emphatically agree . I gather she's not really in the running but the only one I've seen being really outspoken against Boris the Menace is Emily Thornberry .But perhaps I've been missing stuff !
The problem with Emily Thornberry is that while she does have an admirable 'fuck you' spirit about her she doesn't have enough charm to counterbalance her pugnaciousness. I think she'd be great in PMQ's against Johnson but that would be about it. She's more a henchwoman than a leader.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Shaun Bailey on crime? About an 1/8th of a page on page 19.
This doesn't surprise me. He's been a darling of the late night political radio programmes for years, especially on Radio 5, so consequently I must have heard him speak hundreds of times, and yet for the life of me I can't remember a single thing he's said.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

CLP nomination meeting tonight - Starmer and Rayner, fairly comfortably on each. Having to listen to people speaking against Starmer claiming that former Labour voters who chose to support Johnson or Farage in December would turn their backs on Starmer because he's posh.
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

I wasn't going to get more involved but when nobody wanted to speak for Thornberry I said that we might consider that with all of the other candidates already on the ballot, the only actual difference we could make as a CLP would be to nominate her and push her closer to the threshold.
I still believe in a town called Hope
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Labour Party meetings - bit of a snake-pit in my experience. Other parties are no doubt similar.

Edited - tidy up.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:However laudable in principle, the "they go low, we go high" approach was never the right one for the sort of contest it was always likely to be.
Let's face it these modern Tories are better at being low, unscrupulous and dirty. They really couldn't give a shit, power is a zero sum game for them to be achieved by whatever means necessary. They're shameless and it works.

Of course it only works because of our absurd electoral system, even taking into account Labour's dismal performance under PR Johnson would now be running a minority government at best.

I've argued for PR for years, the tyranny of the minority under FPTP is a mockery of democracy and while the Tories will never support electoral reform it's been hugely frustrating witnessing Labour's connivance in maintaining the status quo because they also see it as their only route to total power without compromise.

Any system which results in a party getting a huge majority on a minority share of the vote is patently absurd and only encourages the kind of mindless, dog whistle shithousery the Tories got up to during the election.

One of the very first things the new Labour leader needs to do is vow to change our electoral system.

Because if they don't they're part of the problem not the solution.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

adam wrote:Having to listen to people speaking against Starmer claiming that former Labour voters who chose to support Johnson or Farage in December would turn their backs on Starmer because he's posh.
Presumably the same people who were convinced said voters would love Jeremy Corbyn.

Besides Starmer's problem isn't that he's posh, especially not compared to Johnson, it's that he's dull.

But he's also smart, forensic and persistent.

If I was advising him I'd suggest a deerstalker hat and an opium habit.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Got what looks like a cheque today for £4.70 from the Centre for Health and Disability Assessments.

It's for a my travel expenses, that's how much a 'Day Rider' in Leeds costs.

Except it doesn't actually look like a cheque, it's just the bottom third of a folded bit of A4 without any perforations. Is it a dummy cheque demonstrating that they're paying it into my account (like they said they would) or am I supposed to cut this off with a pair of scissors and take it to the bank?

I mean this is important, I can get a cheap bottle of Chilean Cab Sauv with that.

It's got HSBC printed on it and a sort code so I'm presuming it's real.

So the only people who still send me cheques are my dad for my birthday and the DWP.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Anyone's always welcome to send me cheques.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Just because it amuses me -

[youtube]RsFOBLrFGig[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

This should be in a Cohen Brother's film.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.