Saturday 7th & Sunday 8th March 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Saturday 7th & Sunday 8th March 2020

Post by HindleA »

Morning
gilsey
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 7th & Sunday 8th March 2020

Post by gilsey »

Morning A.

From the G overnight US blog.
We’re ending our live coverage for the day, thanks for following along. Some highlights and links:

Trump used a freewheeling CDC press conference, intended to provide updates on the coronavirus, as an opportunity to attack Democrats, praise his own intelligence, lash out at CNN and spread false and misleading information about the status of the outbreak.

The president made false statements about the availability of tests.

Trump also said he wanted exposed passengers to remain on a cruise abroad so that the number of cases wouldn’t increase in the US.

The president insulted the governor of Washington state, who is currently overseeing the most serious coronavirus outbreak.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/liv ... f56e4c3e0e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Jackson Proskow
@JProskowGlobal
Trump proclaims that the doctors around him wonder "how do you know so much about this?" "Maybe I have a natural ability" he says.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

gilsey wrote:Morning A.

We’re ending our live coverage for the day, thanks for following along. Some highlights and links:

Trump used a freewheeling CDC press conference, intended to provide updates on the coronavirus, as an opportunity to attack Democrats, praise his own intelligence, lash out at CNN and spread false and misleading information about the status of the outbreak.

Trump also said he wanted exposed passengers to remain on a cruise abroad so that the number of cases wouldn’t increase in the US.

The president insulted the governor of Washington state, who is currently overseeing the most serious coronavirus outbreak.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/liv ... f56e4c3e0e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm wondering how long Mike Pence can continue to contradict his master ?

Pence gently tries to correct Trump's false coronavirus testing claims

https://news.yahoo.com/pence-gently-tri ... 19141.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

gilsey wrote:Jackson Proskow
@JProskowGlobal
Trump proclaims that the doctors around him wonder "how do you know so much about this?" "Maybe I have a natural ability" he says.
He has a "natural ability" for bulls***ting, no doubt about that.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Susan Oosthuizen's doing one of her threads...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good afternoon, everyone.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

Susan Oosthuizen's doing one of her threads...

Twitter isn't all bad 8-)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:Morning A.

The man sounds mentally ill. Seriously. He requires medical attention.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... rs-from-eu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A ... 9LyVW5mzmM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... proof that you CAN live without a brain :-)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
Parliamentary watchdog to investigate Johnson’s Caribbean holiday
Questions remain unanswered over identity of donor who lent prime minister a property in Mustique over new year (Observer)
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... an-holiday
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Well, its nice that a few people have posted - everybody too busy panic buying toilet rolls?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Women fighting over loo roll !

And Trump preferring people staying on the deathtrap ship, because

"" I like the numbers the way they are ""
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

In the week ending the 27th of february, two thousand plus followers of an evangelical church gathered in Mulhouse near the German and Swiss borders .

Now indoor gatherings there of more than 50 people are banned, and kindergardens and schools closed.

On the other side of the country there are three cases here in La Manche, two of those being about ten miles from me. And others all over the rest of France , Switzerland, and as far away as Guyana ...

One person infects a couple of others, then it grows exponentially, and fast . So, only a fraction need intensive care... but you can swiftly have a large enough number of bad cases to inundate the ICU's.

In the above video, at 6mins 55 --

" Germany has four times as many critical care beds as we do"

Hopefully they caught the two down the road early enough !
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Well, its nice that a few people have posted - everybody too busy panic buying toilet rolls?
I've been booking a cruise . . .
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PorFavor wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Well, its nice that a few people have posted - everybody too busy panic buying toilet rolls?
I've been booking a cruise . . .
[youtube]T5l0CczyiJg[/youtube]
I still believe in a town called Hope
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

BREAKING. #Italy puts the whole region of Lombardy and other critical zones of Piemonte, Emilia Romagna and Veneto under strict isolation to tackle #coronavirus emergency and contain its spread: entering/exiting those areas will be prohibited.

Meanwhile, in plucky Blitz-spirit Blighty , Cheltenham is going ahead and Matt Hancock tells you to cough into your hanky .

https://www.rte.ie/sport/racing/2020/03 ... h-warning/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck !
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]AFSx9fE1qJ8[/youtube]
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.
Parliamentary watchdog to investigate Johnson’s Caribbean holiday
Questions remain unanswered over identity of donor who lent prime minister a property in Mustique over new year (Observer)
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... an-holiday
Wouldn't it be funny if it transpired it was funded by a Russian...
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Very good !

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... re-than-70" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To hell with loo paper, what about cigarettes ???????????????
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Consider the facts that inform this story. A self-confessed yet inefficient cocaine user, who lost three jobs due to lying to his bosses, who has fathered an unverifiable amount of children by a variety of since abandoned women (many of whom he was seeing simultaneously), who is currently under investigation by the police due to questions arising from his alleged financial impropriety with a pole-dancer, who was a high-profile member of an organised hooligan gang of teenage vandals familiar to local law enforcement agencies, who assisted a known criminal in plotting a violent assault, who rarely turns up to work (and when he does is woefully underprepared with usually disastrous consequences), and who is supported almost entirely by the public purse, is fathering yet another child. Where is the Daily Mail exposé condemning this disgraceful burden on society?
Stewart Lee - The Observer
I still believe in a town called Hope
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Layla Moran to run for LibDem leadership (the contest starts after Labour's finishes, btw)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

adam wrote:
Consider the facts that inform this story. A self-confessed yet inefficient cocaine user, who lost three jobs due to lying to his bosses, who has fathered an unverifiable amount of children by a variety of since abandoned women (many of whom he was seeing simultaneously), who is currently under investigation by the police due to questions arising from his alleged financial impropriety with a pole-dancer, who was a high-profile member of an organised hooligan gang of teenage vandals familiar to local law enforcement agencies, who assisted a known criminal in plotting a violent assault, who rarely turns up to work (and when he does is woefully underprepared with usually disastrous consequences), and who is supported almost entirely by the public purse, is fathering yet another child. Where is the Daily Mail exposé condemning this disgraceful burden on society?
As with Trump, you couldn't make it up.

Although Trump v coronavirus makes me think of the old chestnut, you can't fool all of the people all of the time. There must be at least a small chance that he'll finally come unstuck.
Similarly Johnson v Brexit next year when there's 20 mile tailbacks at the ports. People will notice.

edited to add, I realise people will die before Trump gets his comeuppance over the epidemic, if he does. Farce becomes tragedy.
Last edited by gilsey on Sun 08 Mar, 2020 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Re the toilet paper thing, are people seeing/hearing coronavirus and thinking norovirus? Can't think of any other explanation.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Don't think its that, just the natural herd mentality - once a few people start bulk buying loo roll everybody thinks they "have" to do it.

Interesting thing is that this isn't (yet) universal, there are still places which are well stocked.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

adam wrote:
I saw Stewart Lee last night in London where he was performing John Cage's "Indeterminacy" as part of Steve Beresford's 70th birthday celebrations.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

So the usual suspects are frothing about "free speech" (sic) in universities and then this happens.

Ministers Preparing New Law To 'Protect Freedom Of Speech' At Universities

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... 0e72f90ef5
Ministers are preparing a new law to strengthen the right to freedom of speech in universities, HuffPost UK understands.

Boris Johnson is understood to share education secretary Gavin Williamson’s deep concerns over the issue, not least in the wake of a fresh row over a student group at Oxford University deciding to “no platform” former cabinet minister Amber Rudd.
Now, I can't see an issue with this at all can you *cough* radical Islamist *cough*.....*cough* virulent anti-Semite *cough*
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

RogerOThornhill wrote:So the usual suspects are frothing about "free speech" (sic) in universities and then this happens.

Ministers Preparing New Law To 'Protect Freedom Of Speech' At Universities

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... 0e72f90ef5
Ministers are preparing a new law to strengthen the right to freedom of speech in universities, HuffPost UK understands.

Boris Johnson is understood to share education secretary Gavin Williamson’s deep concerns over the issue, not least in the wake of a fresh row over a student group at Oxford University deciding to “no platform” former cabinet minister Amber Rudd.
Now, I can't see an issue with this at all can you *cough* radical Islamist *cough*.....*cough* virulent anti-Semite *cough*
In related news, Carl Benjamin (Sargon of Akkad), who stood for Ukip in Swindon, has had both his YouTube channels demonetised, for being a bigot on multiple fronts .
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

refitman wrote: In related news, Carl Benjamin (Sargon of Akkad), who stood for Ukip in Swindon, has had both his YouTube channels demonetised, for being a bigot on multiple fronts .
But that's fine - they're private organisations who have their own guidelines which they can enforce. They can basically do what they want.

It's only when the State gets involved it becomes a free speech issue.

They could pass a law tomorrow banning anyone who says "Genesis are a terrible band" punishable by a prison spell. Twitter could ban me for saying it but they're not curtailing my freedom of speech since I can go elsewhere and say it.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Turned the computer off and read a book
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
refitman wrote:In related news, Carl Benjamin (Sargon of Akkad), who stood for Ukip in Swindon, has had both his YouTube channels demonetised, for being a bigot on multiple fronts .
But that's fine - they're private organisations who have their own guidelines which they can enforce. They can basically do what they want.

They could pass a law tomorrow banning anyone who says "Genesis are a terrible band" punishable by a prison spell. Twitter could ban me for saying it but they're not curtailing my freedom of speech since I can go elsewhere and say it.
Your being incarcerated for saying it may limit your range of options.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I read Rawnsley's column while eating me dinner...

Boris Johnson, be warned. Treat officials as enemies and that’s what they’ll become

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -into-ones
...and an investigation by the Cabinet Office.

This is the most ominous development for her. To many, this will smell of an inside job, but similar investigations have often been the instrument that has terminated ministerial careers. “She is now in the hands of officials. They will dredge around Whitehall for allegations against her,” says one former cabinet minister. “They might not be too bad individually, but it may be there are so many of them that she can’t survive.” Some senior Tories familiar with the process think that the investigation will be designed to “put something in front of the prime minister saying she has to go”. It is thought highly significant that Sue Gray, the former head of the propriety and ethics team at the Cabinet Office, will be giving evidence. Ms Gray is sometimes known by the soubriquet “the assassin” among politicians compelled to resign in the past for breaches of the ministerial code.
Taxi for Priti!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'd like nice, boring, decent and competent government, please.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

citizenJA wrote:I'd like nice, boring, decent and competent government, please.
Unfortunately 'events' are hitting us with whatever party happens to be in government ...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnscottl ... 44eff32c51" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
refitman wrote: In related news, Carl Benjamin (Sargon of Akkad), who stood for Ukip in Swindon, has had both his YouTube channels demonetised, for being a bigot on multiple fronts .

Appreciate that, but it is some good news all the same.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I've just got back from visiting my mum. Apparently she's seen some coronavirus advice that suggests people should be visiting their mums for mother's day now instead of two weeks time when the virus will be more widespread. So it looks like I accidentally timed my visit well!

It's left me wondering, though, if the government has any official advice which isn't just another way of saying it's going to get really bad, because so far that seems to be the main message emanating from our hapless PM. Who, incidentally, appears to have decided the onset of a viral pandemic is the perfect time to finally get off his arse and out of London to visit some flood victims. If he was hoping the mood had calmed down a bit, he was mistaken, being met by some enthusiastic heckling.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... y-21654673" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boris Johnson heckled as 'traitor' as he finally visits flood-hit community
The real test, of course, is whether any of the extra money he has promised actually materialises or whether communities will still be waiting for promised funding when the next floods hit as happened under Cameron.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... is-johnson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Football is a funny game alright, only seems like last week that we lost at home to Burnley - absolute rock bottom.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Meanwhile outside the UK bubble

John Campbell had a bit of a brain-delay early in this youtube, when he said there were 500 million dead from 500 million infected in the 1918+ pandemic, but this was corrected !

Well, it was " 20 up to 50 million" according to Wiki , which is quite enough thankyou ?

HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

It is,only a few weeks ago I genuinely asked about top of the league at start of calendar year to relegation question,now Leeds safe from that and back on top (for now)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Willow904 wrote:I've just got back from visiting my mum. Apparently she's seen some coronavirus advice that suggests people should be visiting their mums for mother's day now instead of two weeks time when the virus will be more widespread. So it looks like I accidentally timed my visit well!

It's left me wondering, though, if the government has any official advice which isn't just another way of saying it's going to get really bad, because so far that seems to be the main message emanating from our hapless PM. Who, incidentally, appears to have decided the onset of a viral pandemic is the perfect time to finally get off his arse and out of London to visit some flood victims. If he was hoping the mood had calmed down a bit, he was mistaken, being met by some enthusiastic heckling.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... y-21654673" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boris Johnson heckled as 'traitor' as he finally visits flood-hit community
The real test, of course, is whether any of the extra money he has promised actually materialises or whether communities will still be waiting for promised funding when the next floods hit as happened under Cameron.
Willow -- that was BLOODY good advice to visit your Ma now rather than later !

SEE my previous post !
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

As a United supporter I'm obviously pleased this evening that my team burdened with American debt parasites beat the sportswashing team of the UAE secret torture jails in Yemen scumbags.

Manchester United are my second team, my first is Berwick Rangers and on Saturday I found they'd resorted to crowdfunding to clear a 16 grand debt from last season. I gave them £20 and specified I would not like it wasted on drink and drugs.

They probably spent more than 16 grand on sandwiches today at Old Trafford.

Prawns of course, maybe cheese and ham, the possibilities are endless.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

When I went shopping yesterday in Leeds Tesco all the pasta was gone and they'd had to put up a sign saying 5 items maximum. There was bloke putting out the last box of those pasta shells and he said earlier in the day people had been filling their trolleys with any pasta they could get hold of.

Do they think because Italy is quarantining people pasta is going to become hard to come by?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Also in my QT review I mentioned a certain Muppet reject who currently maintains a position as our Minister for Health.

And I gave him a fair hearing, pointing out he was quite sober and serious and such like.

It took mere hours before all the people he said he'd been planning with said he was talking shit.
Matt Hancock has totally made up what he said about working with supermarkets. We haven't heard anything from government directly.
What do you do with such people?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]GnkzvAXWV-0[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Just me and you PF go for it.
Sky'sGoneOut