Thursday 12th March 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 12th March 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 12th March 2020

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Detroit to turn water back on for poor families over Covid-19 fears
Inequality threatens everyone's health, not just the poor.

I have never understood why those with money prefer to live in palaces surrounded by squalor rather than in a nice house surrounded by other nice houses.

It's clear from this article that those who have presided over this water policy know it's both wrong and not in the interests of wider society, so why have they let it happen?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.ifs.org.uk/budget-2020" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ssion=true
Detroit to turn water back on for poor families over Covid-19 fears
Inequality threatens everyone's health, not just the poor.

I have never understood why those with money prefer to live in palaces surrounded by squalor rather than in a nice house surrounded by other nice houses.

It's clear from this article that those who have presided over this water policy know it's both wrong and not in the interests of wider society, so why have they let it happen?
At least 141,000 Detroit households have been disconnected since 2014 as part of a widely condemned debt-collection programme, according to records obtained by Bridge, a news magazine. Just last year, taps were turned off in more than 23,000 homes, three-fifths of which were still without water by mid-January 2020.
A nine-month investigation by APM [American Public Media] Reports examined the cost of water in six large cities near the Great Lakes – Chicago, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Detroit, Buffalo and Duluth – over the past 10 years and found that rates have risen alarmingly fast. In Chicago, the cost of water for the average family of four nearly tripled between 2007 and 2018. Cleveland's rates more than doubled – to $1,317 per year for an average family of four. And families in Detroit paid an astounding $1,151 annually. By contrast, that same average family living in Phoenix, which pipes in much of its water from 300 miles away and has been called the least-sustainable city in the country, paid about two-thirds less.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(cJA bold)
That's about $100 a month for water; just water, other utilities cost more. I'd no idea it was legal turning off peoples' water. Doing so risks a public health hazard at any time.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consu ... ater-bill/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/insig ... ter-crisis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

"" Top findings:
The average water utility shut off 5 percent of households for nonpayment in 2016.
Among responding utilities, more than half a million households lost water service for nonpayment, affecting an estimated 1.4 million people in 2016.
An estimated 15 million people in the United States experienced a water shutoff in 2016.""

Word-fail !
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... new-labour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

It was common knowledge at the time that journalists slagged it off because they were kept waiting in the cold on the night of its opening.

A curate's egg admittedly, but that means good as well as bad bits.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I (We )went I thought it was o.k.and I'm not that easily pleased.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consu ... connected/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

FWIW utility companies accounting for circumstances eg.watersure, medical need eg.haemodialysis (we were always pre-informed on supply interruptions etc were bemoaned by IDS as part of the Byzantium system,so much of an expert he had never heard of such things.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

My dad visited the Dome. He didn't say much about it, so I'm not sure what he thought of it, but I quite like the idea you had to be there to really know about it, a unique moment in time.

I miss the optimism that conceived it, that's for sure. We need some of that optimism now, especially in tackling climate change and achieving greater global equality.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

It was built on time and on budget
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:It was built on time and on budget
Good point.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Anybody else just have squirrels?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:My dad visited the Dome. He didn't say much about it, so I'm not sure what he thought of it, but I quite like the idea you had to be there to really know about it, a unique moment in time.

I miss the optimism that conceived it, that's for sure. We need some of that optimism now, especially in tackling climate change and achieving greater global equality.
(cJA bold)
I miss optimism.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Anybody else just have squirrels?
Yes, here
too many overwhelming the server
I think that was the message
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Jacob Rees-Mogg says parliament will 'open the windows' amid coronavirus outbreak
Because the Italians never thought to try that, presumably?! :smack:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.resolutionfoundation.org/pu ... -response/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51851791" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by HindleA on Thu 12 Mar, 2020 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ishi-sunak" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Optimism has to be based on something, though. Our PM affects "optimism", but his actual behaviour often contradicts it.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Optimism has to be based on something, though. Our PM affects "optimism", but his actual behaviour often contradicts it.
yep
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Interesting...
Electoral Commission

Verified account

@ElectoralCommUK
Follow Follow @ElectoralCommUK
More
We’ve written to the UK Government to recommend that the May polls be postponed until the autumn as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. This is due to growing risks to the delivery of the polls & to mitigate the impact on voters, campaigners & electoral administrators.

4:33 PM - 12 Mar 2020
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

...Trump, his short speech was riddled with errors that had to be rapidly corrected – thereby spreading confusion rather than clarity. One example: he announced that his Europe ban would “apply to the tremendous amount of trade and cargo” across the Atlantic, prompting the White House to rush out a statement explaining that the president had got it wrong, and that the new policy would, in fact, only apply to people, not goods.
---
...the address did not work. The clearest proof came in the metric Trump understands best and that terrifies him most, because he believes it holds the key to his prospects of re-election. The headline this morning: “Stock markets tumble as Trump’s Europe travel ban shocks investors”.

Jonathan Freedland
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... 9-response" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ireland school closures reveal stark contrast to UK Covid-19 response
Or the UK not to close schools in stark contrast to the rest of Europe.

Children have not been so badly affected, we're told, but isn't this information coming from countries where schools were shut in response to the outbreak? It seems to me our children are being used as guinea pigs and I really hope the media don't let them get away with this but challenge their reasoning. They say they are worried healthcare workers will have to stay home with their children, but why couldn't the non-healthcare parent do this? And they say vulnerable grandparents will have to look after children, but why is looking after segregated children in their own home all day more dangerous for them than picking up children mixing with potential carriers from the school gates for after school care? Given other countries are managing this, the reasons so far given don't stand up to much scrutiny. To be frank it feels like the government doesn't want to take stronger measures because it's too much work.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

The bottom line is that this isn't something Johnson can bluff and bumble his way out of. If things go badly wrong, he *will* carry the can.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... oss-europe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Our school has sent very clear letters home over the last couple of weeks - in fact I've just looked and the first one was Feb 14th on symptoms and a list of countries affected at that point.

There's been two updates since - Feb 26th and March 2nd.

The problem is that if you're going to close, you'd need to do it for 6-7 weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if, as Easter is coming up, schools get told to close a week before, and then a week after and then let schools decide.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... e-guidance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Cough and a fever. That's it. How are people supposed to know it's Covid-19? Doesn't matter, according to the advice. Stay at home for 7 days.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The prime minister, Boris Johnson, said: “We have all got to be clear, this is the worst public health crisis for a generation. Some people compare it to seasonal flu. Alas, that is not right. Due to the lack of immunity this disease is more dangerous.

“It is going to spread further and I must level with you, I must level with the British public: many more families are going to lose loved ones before their time.”

Johnson said schools would not close and neither did he join Scotland in banning gatherings of more than 500 people... .

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... virus-plan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

If in doubt don't put others at risk ,particularly those that may die.I see no problem with that.As ever it is the selfish ,whether by casual negligence or their needlessly grabbing/demanding nature that need to curtailed.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

This site is behaving very peculiarly tonight. No squirrels, though.

I think that's my sole contribution, so far, to today's doings.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

citizenJA wrote:
Cough and a fever. That's it. How are people supposed to know it's Covid-19? Doesn't matter, according to the advice. Stay at home for 7 days.
No testing, so no hope of detecting a "cluster" and jumping on it from a great height ...

I'm patenting the term "flock immunity", just for the English experimental animals of dePfeffel & his nudgy Spads.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Given we had months of self isolation,and far too many have to as their normal maybe I am.being unkind in the supposed "trauma"of a week.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

:lol:
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Our school has sent very clear letters home over the last couple of weeks - in fact I've just looked and the first one was Feb 14th on symptoms and a list of countries affected at that point.

There's been two updates since - Feb 26th and March 2nd.

The problem is that if you're going to close, you'd need to do it for 6-7 weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if, as Easter is coming up, schools get told to close a week before, and then a week after and then let schools decide.
Yes, this, although I've seen some every longer suggested likely periods of closure. We have had people clearly working on setting up new virtual learning platforms ready for the last few days although that raises all sorts of issues about equality of opportunity - have you got internet access? A computer? Enough computers for x number of siblings? And parents being told to work from home? Or parent who run a business from home? Can you afford the extra electicity, especially given the loss of free school meals?

I know there are medical expert standing alongside Johnson but Johnson is not to be trusted or taken at his word about anything, ever, and I agree that this feels like we're being experimented on by a government who are frightened of the fact that they will be shown up as other countries manage to get by with these restrictions and we simply don't.
I still believe in a town called Hope
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Apparently stating the bloody obvious and not being as bad as Donald Trump makes you a great statesman in Brexitannia.

Anyway on QT tonight from West Bromwich we have...

Steve Barclay our former Brexit secretary. A man so dense his underpants have to be filled with helium to stop him breaking through the Earth's crust.

Louise Haigh our current shadow policing minister apparently (no I had no idea either).

Pete Wishart of the SNP who will keep making points about Scotland that the audience couldn't care less about.

Richard Walker from Iceland (the freezer shop) who QT keep having on for some reason. Maybe they get free fish fingers.

Professor John Ashton who has just called Johnson's response to the coronavirus 'pathetic'.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Louise Haigh is someone I'd never heard of until today (as in, I read her name in the "cast"list).
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

One of the good things about fearing you're about to lose all your benefits is it makes you hoard food in fear of the worst so not being able to buy pasta because selfish dicks are filling their trollies with the stuff is no skin off my nose. I've got loads of it.

There's always a silver lining.

Toilet paper however is another matter. Might go full Roman and attach a sponge to a stick.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Surely the BBC South Today reporter who's just been on can't really be called Angina?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Matt Hancock's lie (from last week's Question Time) pops up again.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Matt Hancock's lie (from last week's Question Time) pops up again.

(Sorry if you get this twice.)
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

And away we go.

First Question on Coronavirus obviously.

Steve Barclay say's he's going to be led by experts. Claims a few supporters outside a football ground or in a pub are of an equivalent danger as thousands of people in a stadium. The man's an absolute moron.

Professor John Ashton calls Johnson's approach an embarrassment. Claims we're being treated like peasants, not being given the information we need by a paternalistic government. Gets a big round of applause.

Bloke from Iceland confirms Matt Hancock (our health secretary) was talking shit last week about being in communication with supermarkets.

Steve Barclay claims there is a 'uniform scientific consensus' about how to deal with this virus 'across the UK'. The man's an absolute moron.

A frustrated Professor John Ashton gets told off for interrupting Barclay's obvious nonsense.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Are we doing enough to support those most vulnerable to Coronavirus?

Professor John Ashton says the government's own forecasts say a 30% death rate is expected in care homes but they're not telling the public.

Asked about vulnerable people Barclay starts blathering on about the budget and coordination with the Bank of England. The man's an absolute moron.