Wednesday 18th March 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wednesday 18th March 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 18th March 2020

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Just checking in to see how everyone is...

Library is still open so I'm off for my usual 10 hour shift.

I'm also cataloguing a post-war building survey that one of the local councils did but this is on lots of sheets of paper which I can bring home and get on with even if the library closes - which I suspect it might soon.

I passed a teacher going down to school earlier - about 20 out of 30 in her class yesterday and she thinks it might be less than that today.

Have a good day all & stay well if you can.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

We seem to be down to about 75-80% attendance (usually run around 96%). Not many staff off but I'm going to self-isolate from tomorrow. We've set up a resource to allow work to be done from home for staff and students.

Very good from our 'senior' head this morning - if you decide you need to self-isolate for protection then you are not off work, you are working from home and it has no effect on your pay.
I still believe in a town called Hope
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Yes, wondered when libraries are going to shut myself. And how long before public transport is curtailed?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

adam wrote:We seem to be down to about 75-80% attendance (usually run around 96%). Not many staff off but I'm going to self-isolate from tomorrow. We've set up a resource to allow work to be done from home for staff and students.

Very good from our 'senior' head this morning - if you decide you need to self-isolate for protection then you are not off work, you are working from home and it has no effect on your pay.
"" KrelleP 8m ago The danish government is as I write this introducing economic help for freelancers and small and medium sized independent businesses! My thoughts go to those in UK who are left reeling.""
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -employees
Similar comments from around Europe in the 'newest' thread. UK is the odd one out in so so much, but great that a few employers are doing the right thing, those that CAN, of course . .
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Our government still seems too impressed by discredited "nudge" theory.

(what use is that when the PM's own dad says he will go to the pub regardless?)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Unequivocal response from GP. Work from home.
Government's unclear wittering leaving many people ignorant of necessary action now.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Yes, wondered when libraries are going to shut myself. And how long before public transport is curtailed?
What are people without other forms of transport going to do?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Private landlords wishing to evict their tenants still have time to do so. Just what we need now (if we ever needed it, of course) - an increase in homelesness.

Have been impressed, over the past weeks, by Rosena Allin-Khan.

I've still to cast my vote.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Oh - good morfternoon.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Sorry for the downer news but I think we should know about it.
Labour MPs alarmed at Covid-19 laws being passed without vote
Emergency measures would be in place for two years with no plans for review
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... thout-vote" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

More encouraging government's realisation they'll look better acknowledging renters are people; keeping them housed and alive a good move.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Schools in Scotland and Wales to close on Friday (Sky TV news).
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote: Have been impressed, over the past weeks, by Rosena Allin-Khan
Well, she's in her element here really.

I agree that she has had a good campaign more generally tbf, many didn't think she would get onto the ballot paper at all.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Just been speaking to my dad, both Alzheimer's charities that provide help with my mum and give him a little respite every week have shut down for the duration. So he's on his own now when it comes to caring for someone with late stage dementia and if I go up there I'll be putting them both at risk. This sucks.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:Schools in Scotland and Wales to close on Friday (Sky TV news).
Meanwhile the PM just "hinted" that the same would happen in England. This is the problem.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
PorFavor wrote: Have been impressed, over the past weeks, by Rosena Allin-Khan
Well, she's in her element here really.

I agree that she has had a good campaign more generally tbf, many didn't think she would get onto the ballot paper at all.
She's strangely missing from Andrew Sparrow's Guardian PMQs report, so far as I can see.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Why do they do that? If they're not going to do it yet, wait to announce it until they are.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

@sky

I'm really sorry to hear that.
It will be no comfort to know that there will be many, many people in the same situation.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

adam wrote:Very good from our 'senior' head this morning - if you decide you need to self-isolate for protection then you are not off work, you are working from home and it has no effect on your pay.
That's what my brother has been told, and he's going to be doing it from next week.

He told me so many teachers and other staff have already self isolated that the school isn't providing any meaningful education anymore and is essentially a glorified nannying service being kept ticking over to protect the economy and he's had enough.

And of course he can't go to help my dad either because teachers aren't being tested.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

gilsey wrote:It will be no comfort to know that there will be many, many people in the same situation.
I know Gilsey, for the thousands of carers in this country this is going to be an absolute nightmare, I watched Jeremy Hunt last night on Newsnight saying he regretted the cuts to social care but 'difficult choices had to be made at the time'. I felt like smashing his stupid face in with an iron bar.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Andrew Bailey sounding more concerned about the populace than Rishi effing Sunak.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51943095" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"supporting the employment and income of the people in this country is critical"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:
gilsey wrote:It will be no comfort to know that there will be many, many people in the same situation.
I know Gilsey, for the thousands of carers in this country this is going to be an absolute nightmare, I watched Jeremy Hunt last night on Newsnight saying he regretted the cuts to social care but 'difficult choices had to be made at the time'. I felt like smashing his stupid face in with an iron bar.
I saw that, me too.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

A prisoner at HMP Manchester has tested positive for COVID-19 - the first in the UK to do so - and is currently in hospital, the BBC’s Danny Shaw reports. No other prison staff or prisoners have tested positive but 13 prisoners and four members of staff were put into isolation as a precaution.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... 564ad867e1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

https://twitter.com/TheBMA/status/1240252591445086209
Government is [not] ‘prioritising testing for #COVID19 for NHS staff’
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

It's time to choose where you want to be quarantined, and who with.
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

If you have a choice, that is.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@GetYou
It's good to see you and I hope you're keeping well.
Please give my love to those you love.
cJA
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Just had a leaflet through the door from a group of people somewhere in my road offering to run errands or engage in 'phone chats for those self-isolating. It bears the following additional message: "Coronavirus is contagious. Please take every precaution to ensure you are spreading only kindness."
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Donald Trump (Sky TV news) now talking about the "Chinese virus".
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Donald Trump (Sky TV news) now talking about the "Chinese virus".
It's essential we limit our exposure to Trump
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Five local council byelections last week:

Wiltshire - firstly a Tuesday contest saw a narrow Tory hold, with just under half the vote, over the LibDems which was a swing of about 5% to the latter since the most recent 2017 election - but a significant move to the Tories since the 2009 and 2013 contests which the LibDems won reasonably comfortably. Labour polled just 2% which was little changed on three years ago, but still exceeded the Tory winning margin.

South Somerset DC - LibDem hold with just over half the vote in a single member ward they had held at every election this century and until this byelection had only been contested by them and the Tories - a comfortable win in 2003 was followed by close results (all under 100 votes in it) for the following three elections before they ran away by it 65-35 last year. So a big drop in their vote since then, but there was very little swing as this time an Independent and Greens broke the duopoly meaning the Tories only just held on to second against the Indy who scored 21%, whilst the Greens got 5%.

Stratford-on-Avon DC - LibDem gain from Independent with over 40% of the vote after not contesting this ward in either 2019 or 2015 (the first election since boundary changes) That initial poll saw the Independent only just beat a Tory before they scored a big win with 65% a year ago - Tories recovered a bit from that drubbing now, whilst a new Indy hopeful came third with 21%. Labour dropped slightly, but still overtook the Greens who fell from over 8% last year to barely 1% now.

Ashford DC - a gain for the localist Ashford Independents from the Tories with 60% of the vote in a ward which they did not contest last year in the first election after boundary changes - they had held the predecessor ward in the past however so had some latent strength, though this was still an obviously impressive result. Tory share more than halved, as was Labour's in a drop to 7%. Greens scored less than 3%, but still outpolled the LibDems who after scoring close to 20% a year ago, could not even get all 10 nominators to turn out for them this time!

Highland - Independent hold in a highly fragmented contest which saw them get a modest 28% of first preferences. This division split 2Ind/1LD/1Nat in both 2007 and 2012 before another Independent took the LibDem seat in 2017 as their former incumbent stood (without success) as an Indy themselves, leaving the SNP as the only partisan presence here. They might consider themselves unlucky not to have added to that now, finishing just behind on transfers after narrowly finishing second in the initial vote with a rise of almost 9% compared to three years ago. LibDems also recovered strongly from being almost wiped out last time, up a full twenty points to 22%. Greens scored a decent 11% on their first outing here under STV, beating the Tories who only advanced modestly on their 2017 showing. Last place went to another Independent - apparently a Gaelic language activist, though one seemingly based in Glasgow which can't really have helped - on just 1%.

Four contests due tomorrow, and it looks like they *are* going ahead - but it could be the last electoral action for a while.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Been to visit a friend who does security for Leeds gallery and he's now off on full pay and quite delighted about it.

Passed the Wetherspoons we often drink in on the way home and it's full of pensioners.

Stupid, selfish fuckers.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Is it really a surprise that all the selfish pensioners frequent Wetherspoons?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:Been to visit a friend who does security for Leeds gallery and he's now off on full pay and quite delighted about it.

Passed the Wetherspoons we often drink in on the way home and it's full of pensioners.

Stupid, selfish fuckers.
Yes. I've noticed good and positive starkly contrasted with base, selfish action. It's a frightening time made infinitely, needlessly worse by inadequate government leadership.

I'm glad your posting; I can't do without my friends here. Thank you.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:Is it really a surprise that all the selfish pensioners frequent Wetherspoons?
Cordoning off the area may make everyone better off, inside and out.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Of course, the Wetherspoons owner has said his pubs will stay open and its employees have to come in to work.

Larded with the usual delusional right wing "WE ARE A GREAT COUNTRY, NOT A BUNCH OF SNOWFLAKES" boomer friendly rhetoric.

Absolutely and totally, f*** him.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Plus I've trapped a nerve in my lower back, it hurts like hell, and I can't get any painkillers because selfish pigs have emptied the shelves.

I AM IN A BAD MOOD.

GRRRR.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Johnson says he is a believer in freedom. People must make their own choices.
If people are free to make their own choices then there should be consequences and those who can be shown to be flouting advice should be last in the queue for any medical treatment. These people clearly couldn't give a toss about the rest of soceity and as such would be no great loss.

And that goes for Tim Martin who seems to think keeping his pubs open is more important than controlling a pandemic that could kill half his customers and plenty of others besides. If anything comes of this I would hope it would be brexiters seeing just how moronic many of their heroes are but that's a long shot.

Now I'm going to try to make chips out of baby potatoes which I suspect will not end well.
frog222
Prime Minister

ReTim Martin said Holland’s actions -: Wednesday 18th March

Post by frog222 »

here he is, pontificating on epidemiology as deaths in Italy were obviously nearing 500 per day --
"" “Tim Martin said Holland’s actions - admitting that most people will get the virus, while protecting the elderly and sick, thereby building up group immunity - are the best path for the UK.

Lockdown delays the inevitable and destroys the tax base at the same time, which will cripple the NHS and the economy.

“The prime minister should show Dutch courage and follow the example of their PM, Mark Rutte - and avoid taking French leave of his senses by following the lockdown example of perfidious Emmanuel Macron.

“The Dutch approach has the additional advantage of being in tune with the robust instincts of the nation. This is evidenced by Wetherspoon sales, which have been positive in the last few weeks in spite of storms and health scares. ""

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-st ... -1-6565171
Culling the Wetherspoon herd and taking a lot of innocent people with them .
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'd cut your losses and go for sauté.

Boris Johnson and his government are doing a really bad job. It's time to abandon the "not in front of the children" approach.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I had muscle spasms in my back last week - had to stand all day at my desk. Now I have to stand in the kitchen with lap top on other half’s ‘island’
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Sauté sounds good.
Bought a bag of dried tortellini today.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I've gone through my e-mail. Our local authority publication says government keeping schools open while another local authority publication says government has closed schools. Both those local authorities are in England; those were the schools both referred to. Both were sent at approximately the same time. I've not confirmed yet if government has closed schools in England. Government has decimated the NHS and local authorities' budgets leaving them without resources necessary now. Dangerous, irresponsible and frightening times and Tory governments have left the people and nation more vulnerable.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Hi all.

If anybody's about and interested, folk singer Alasdair Roberts is live streaming a gig from Cafe Oto in London which is where I spend a lot of my evenings.

Starts soon! Bring your own beer...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

There's ice cream.
Please help yourselves.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Thanks Roger that's just what I needed.

And I brought my own gin and tonic.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Hi all.

If anybody's about and interested, folk singer Alasdair Roberts is live streaming a gig from Cafe Oto in London which is where I spend a lot of my evenings.

Starts soon! Bring your own beer...

Roger, my dear, a small but VERY topical question for you !
It's ramifications also apply to the rest of us, so it's not 'personal' .
I was wondering the same today, when I thought of printing some of the new "passes" we have to show the cops if they stop us, for my aged French neighbours.
If your or my fingers have that VIRUS on them, how long does it last on 'paper' ?
Which of course would apply to your handling in the archives.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

The replies to this are brilliant - Perrins has always been a bit of a crank but this took it up to 11...

PTO
Last edited by RogerOThornhill on Wed 18 Mar, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.