Saturday 21 March and Sunday 22 March 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 21 March and Sunday 22 March 2020

Post by PorFavor »

Good job I'm a tart, then (on-line supermarket-wise).

I hope you have some luck in getting an account somewhere.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:A pamphlet that was written a significant time ago, almost certainly. Events and all that, dear boy.......
That would be a very good reason for them not to publish it.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Good job I'm a tart, then (on-line supermarket-wise).

A.Finch and I have reached an amiable arrangement
I'm in contact with my regular distributors and will forward goods from my office to A.Finch's
As soon as my distributors have good to forward
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

gilsey wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:A pamphlet that was written a significant time ago, almost certainly. Events and all that, dear boy.......
That would be a very good reason for them not to publish it.
I was just about to say that, so you've saved me a lot of . . .

Oh - no, you haven't. My verbosity took over without prompting.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@frog222
We could cobble together some French and make ourselves useful after quarantine
A.Finch and I may be aliens but we're loveable
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

La plume de ma tante. Any good?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Every cloud, etc
Jim Caris
@jimcaris
Replying to
@coherentstates
and
@weeaboo
A whole load of formerly AirBnB rentals have started appearing on the long-term rentals market here in Prague and it's forcing prices down already. Almost as if AirBnB and its landlords were lying about the impact on locals all along. Almost.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

the Observer is a ruckus generation utensil
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:La plume de ma tante. Any good?
oui
:rock:
AFinch
Backbencher

Post by AFinch »

PorFavor wrote:Good job I'm a tart, then (on-line supermarket-wise).

Thank you, PorFavor.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Dan Davies
@dsquareddigest
Replying to
@AbiWilks
and
@owenhatherley
In a sane world, "Wes done a pamphlet" would struggle to get coverage in the Streeting family Christmas round-robin letter
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

sanctuary, please
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I once owned a French phrase book in which one of the handy phrases contained therein was, "I am innocent!" It always made me chuckle.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Les singes sont dans l’arbre
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
AFinch
Backbencher

Post by AFinch »

Well this is encouraging:
This is encouraging [Sainsburys]:
Identifying our elderly, disabled and vulnerable customers

From Monday 23 March, our existing online customers who are over 70 years of age, vulnerable or who have a disability will get priority access to online home delivery and click & collect slots.

We’ve already been able to identify some existing customers who are elderly, vulnerable and disabled through the information that we have about them and we will be emailing these customers over the course of the weekend, but we know that we haven’t been able to identify all of our vulnerable customers. We’re working hard, alongside the government and retail industry, to identify more of them.

There’ll soon be a process in place so you can tell us that you’re elderly, disabled or vulnerable and get added to our vulnerable list and we’ll let you know how to do this through our website.
More here: https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/gr ... ormation--
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Le singe est sur la branche
[youtube]x1sQkEfAdfY[/youtube]
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

citizenJA wrote:the Observer is a ruckus generation utensil
Old habits die hard, indeed.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Tescos are starting to get organised too. There are yellow lines to stand behind at the tills, staff are wearing disposable gloves and they're wiping down the PDQ number pads after people have used them. The three item limit looks like it's already working as well. The only things they were completely out of that I noticed was baked beans and cat litter. I can live without baked beans if I have to (though I can't say I'd be very happy about it) but I'm starting to get a bit worried about the cat litter. I find it expensive already, I can't afford to pay more than normal from e-bay or amazon. Does anyone have any tips on encouraging a nervous cat to learn to go outside? Our other cat just did it as soon as he was allowed out but this one is attached to her indoor toilet and doesn't seem to want to give it up.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

NHS staff feel like 'cannon fodder' over lack of coronavirus protection

Frontline staff in plea for PPE as some improvise by tying plastic aprons around their heads

Responding to staff concerns, Dr Rinesh Parmar, chair of the Doctors’ Association, told BBC1’s The Andrew Marr Show: “We have had doctors tell us they feel like lambs to the slaughter, that they feel like cannon fodder. GPs tell us that they feel absolutely abandoned.
Advertisement

“We are all pleading with Boris Johnson that [the government] really look into arranging the vital personal protection equipment that all of us need on the NHS frontline. What our doctors are telling us is that although equipment is arriving, some of it is inadequate, some of it doesn’t meet the World Health Organization guidance. That really doesn’t fill frontline healthcare staff with the confidence that they need.” (Guardian)
Is it still supposedly a distribution problem, then (apart from the fact that they seem, in any case, to have bought in some sub-standard stuff in a last-minute panic)? (Guardian)

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... protection
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

The Sun's out, butterflies are flitting about, ChiffChaffs have arrived to announce the beginning of Spring, people are being friendly, including the cute hippy chick I met in the woods and had a chat about edible mushrooms with, Tesco was a lot better. I've no idea what people are moaning about. :D

I even managed to get pasta and toilet paper from my local 'Continental Superstore', the latter is quilted and perfumed, I'm more an economy bog roll man myself so my derriere will have never known such luxury.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Defeated. I could only find a Frank Sinatra version and even I have to draw the line somewhere.

Yes, weatherwise, it's such a lovely day.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:The Sun's out, butterflies are flitting about, ChiffChaffs have arrived to announce the beginning of Spring, people are being friendly, including the cute hippy chick I met in the woods and had a chat about edible mushrooms with, Tesco was a lot better. I've no idea what people are moaning about. :D

I even managed to get pasta and toilet paper from my local 'Continental Superstore', the latter is quilted and perfumed, I'm more an economy bog roll man myself so my derriere will have never known such luxury.
Even you surely draw the line at the Izal stuff, though - surprising that hasn't made a comeback in these desperate times?

(or perhaps not, even now)
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Willow904 wrote:Does anyone have any tips on encouraging a nervous cat to learn to go outside? Our other cat just did it as soon as he was allowed out but this one is attached to her indoor toilet and doesn't seem to want to give it up.
When my parents had that problem with a rescue cat (who goes by the name of 'Tootles') a vet friend advised them to stop using cat litter, fill the tray with soil from the garden and let the cat get used to using that then eventually move the tray outside. It took a few weeks but it did work.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Even you surely draw the line at the Izal stuff, though - surprising that hasn't made a comeback in these desperate times?

I presume that was the stuff we used to have at school that was like shiny greaseproof paper with absolutely no absorbant qualities whatsoever?

If so no, my backside does not look back upon those times with a rosy glow of nostalgia.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Even you surely draw the line at the Izal stuff, though - surprising that hasn't made a comeback in these desperate times?

I presume that was the stuff we used to have at school that was like shiny greaseproof paper with absolutely no absorbant qualities whatsoever?

If so no, my backside does not look back upon those times with a rosy glow of nostalgia.
Indeed it is. Found in various establishments (schools included) until remarkably recently - and apparently still available, for any "fetishists" out there :?

My university library still had it in the mid 1980s - one day some wag wrote in the suggestions book "PLEASE CAN WE HAVE SOMETHING THAT REMOVES UNWANTED MATTER INSTEAD OF MERELY REDISTRIBUTING IT". The change to the soft stuff came not long after :D
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:
Willow904 wrote:Does anyone have any tips on encouraging a nervous cat to learn to go outside? Our other cat just did it as soon as he was allowed out but this one is attached to her indoor toilet and doesn't seem to want to give it up.
When my parents had that problem with a rescue cat (who goes by the name of 'Tootles') a vet friend advised them to stop using cat litter, fill the tray with soil from the garden and let the cat get used to using that then eventually move the tray outside. It took a few weeks but it did work.
Thanks, that sounds like a good plan. She's starting to go outside more now it's getting warmer so now might be a good time to try.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"There will be opportunities for people to volunteer in this effort."

UK coronavirus live: Boris Johnson holds daily briefing as confirmed cases pass 5,000
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
Les singes sont dans l’arbre
that's excellent
I love your accent
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

So basically if people don't stop behaving like dicks we're all going to end up under lockdown.

Lockdown it is then.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Willow904 wrote:Thanks, that sounds like a good plan. She's starting to go outside more now it's getting warmer so now might be a good time to try.
My dad dug the tray contents back into the garden and to this day still goes on about his amazing 'cat poo courgette' crop.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RESULT ! No gardening last year, but my antique rotavator started first pop. Didn't use it yet, as doing a small patch to start with . Kitty started to use the freshly -turned earth for aloo, got chased off !
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

allergy season is here
I'd already obtained some fresh eye drops, thank goodness
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Even you surely draw the line at the Izal stuff
I'm watching 'Back in Time for the Corner Shop' on IPlayer and the lad was putting it on the shelves. At that point in the episode it was 1926 so it would seem the people of this country were redistributing their unwanted matter on non absorbant shiny toilet paper for more than half a century. In fact you could say this country has been built on an inefficient, uncomfortable wiping of the arse. I'm amazed the brexiters haven't insisted we start using it again.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I was talking to someone the other week about Izal. I think this probably means that the British now exchange pleasantries about toilet paper, rather than the weather. I wonder if it will stick (the change, that is, not the toilet paper).
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

I wandered past one of many local shops this morning (my new routine includes going for a 4-5 mile walk each morning early, it's very nice so far, even the one in the persistent drizzle) and the guy running it said 'I don't know why people are so upset about supermarkets, I've got loads of stock' so I went in and bought the things Morrisions didn't include in my order the night before (bread, pasta, bananas, biscuits. A feast, I tell you).
I still believe in a town called Hope
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Coronavirus map of the US: latest cases state by state
https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-in ... e-by-state" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The disease in each area of the US is alarmingly even, like every part of the UK having confirmed cases of COVID-19. It's everywhere.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I guess the problem is price, we've all grown accustomed to getting cheap Supermarket stuff, I go to the 'Continental Superstore' all the time for spices, herbs, lentils, etc all the stuff you usually get from an Asian shop, but things like pasta and toilet paper there cost about 3 times what you'd pay in a supermarket. The bolognese I just made was probably about twice as expensive as it would normally be and I didn't even put any toilet paper in it.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

citizenJA wrote:allergy season is here
Yup. Runny nose and itchy eyes. The trees are at it again. Unfortunately every antihistamine I've ever tried gives me narcolepsy. Which gives me an idea. I guess I could try sleeping through this whole thing. I'll eat continuously for a couple of days, curl myself up in bed like a doormouse, then take a whole pack of Clarytin. This will either allow me to hibernate through the worst of the Coronavirus or wake up a thousand years in the future and have awesome robot friends.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

COVID-19 essential travel guidance
Guidance and advice to avoid non-essential travel in the UK.
Published 22 March 2020

From: Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government, Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport, Department for Transport, Department of Health and Social Care, Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs, Office of the Secretary of State for Scotland, and Office of the Secretary of State for Wales

Who this guidance is for
This guidance is for people planning to visit second homes or holiday premises during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Essential travel does not include visits to second homes, camp sites, caravan parks or similar, whether for isolation purposes or holidays. People should remain in their primary residence. Not taking these steps puts additional pressure on communities and services that are already at risk.
the tardiness of government's guidance publications not only don't reassure me, they expose how the disconnected it is from the country's day-to-day functioning
this isn't a government capable of effective leadership
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:
citizenJA wrote:allergy season is here
Yup. Runny nose and itchy eyes. The trees are at it again. Unfortunately every antihistamine I've ever tried gives me narcolepsy. Which gives me an idea. I guess I could try sleeping through this whole thing. I'll eat continuously for a couple of days, curl myself up in bed like a doormouse, then take a whole pack of Clarytin. This will either allow me to hibernate through the worst of the Coronavirus or wake up a thousand years in the future and have awesome robot friends.
I'd be fine with both of those
if those I love were with me
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'd like a government capable of protecting us
it's their first obligation
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
I'm very tired.
love,
cJA
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

frog222 wrote:Kitty started to use the freshly -turned earth for aloo, got chased off !
No Froggy, see my post directly above yours, cat poo is a gardeners friend.

In fact after some brief investigating -

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/compos ... ompost.htm
Cat feces contain 2 ½ times the amount of nitrogen as cattle manure and about the same amount of phosphorus and potassium.
Just ignore all the rest including the title of the article and all the stuff about Toxoplasmosis.

You'll be fine.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Hmmmm, I like getting my hands in the soil ...

Looking forward very much to more digging tomorrow, take mind of the C19 and some friends involved with it :
Aged cousin in a locked-down home in Paris, one staff member in hospital and the others FFS untested, so her two daughters are not allowed to see her ;
Neighbour of many years requisitioned to stay in the OAP home where she works;
Many medics in Californian family;
and a few more .
NN !
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

citizenJA wrote:I'd like a government capable of protecting us
You know I'm not one of Johnson's biggest fans, but in the press conference today there was one sensible voice of authority, Jenny Harries the deputy chief medical officer for England, and he deferred to her repeatedly.

I believe that story in the Sunday Times was true. That Cummings and his idiot cabal were pushing for the 'herd immunity' approach, it has all his hallmarks, a contrarian 'out of the box' idea with a superficial veneer of science behind it, the problem came when actual scientists (and anyone who could master basic arithmetic) told them this would result in at least half a million dead.

They've tried to gaslight us since claiming nobody in a senior position in government used the phrase, yet I remember our erstwhile ex-brexit minister now Chief Secretary to the Treasury Stephen Barclay saying it twice a couple of weeks ago on Question Time. Indeed he went further and claimed there was 'scientific consensus across the UK in support of this government's actions'.

The next day hundreds of scientists from across the UK wrote a joint letter to the government telling them their plan was insane.

And it worked.

Now we have Johnson deferring to people a great deal smarter than he is.

So I don't think this government is in charge of the response anymore at least in regards to controlling the spread of the virus, I think they genuinely are acting on the advice of their experts, and that's why I think, and I hate to say this, having Johnson as Prime Minister might be a good thing right now. He's isn't like Churchill or Thatcher or even Cameron, he's a fat lazy shit who's happy if other people do the work, you could see the relief on his face today every time he passed a question from the press onto Jenny Harries.

This might counterintuitively be the best time to have Boris Piccaninny Watermelon Letterbox Cake Bumboys Vampires Haircut Wall-Spaffer Spunk-Burster Fuck-Business Fuck-the-Families Get-Off-My-Fucking-Laptop Girly-Swot Big-Girl’s-Blouse Chicken-frit Hulk-Smash Noseringed-Crusties Death-Humbug Technology-Lessons Surrender-Bullshit French-Turds Dog-Whistle Get-Stuffed FactcheckUK@CCHQ 88%-lies Get-Brexit-Done Bung-a-Bob-for-Big-Ben’s-Bongs Cocaine-Event Spiritual-Worth Three-Men-and-a-Dog Whatever-It-Takes Johnson as Prime Minister.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Ok I don't want to panic anybody but I can't get a single Youtube link to work.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]9YOSVTGu5hs[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Wait what? it works if I turn off my adblocker?

Go fuck yourselves Youtube.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Ah well there lies my plan for world domination in ruins.