Wednesday 29th April 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wednesday 29th April 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 29th April 2020

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

I suspect that Boris Johnson is keeping the "will he, won't he" appear at PMQs thing going in order to milk it for all the "hail the conquering hero" bollocks that he can get. And if the need arises, he can still play the sick card at the last minute. But, ultimately, he's either back at work or he isn't, surely.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Boris Johnson will not be PMQs-ing (Sky TV news).
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/04/09/coro ... -to-shame/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GERMANY
Another Country Whose Approach
Puts the UK to Shame
As was previously observed on this forum, Boris Johnson undoubtedly benefited from being in hospital before his condition started to decline and the thought occurred that if this is best practice, surely it should be applied to everyone. And it seems authorities in Germany had the exact same thought:
Germany set up a programme of ‘corona taxis’ – where doctors outfitted in protective gear, travel around their local communities to check on patients who are at home, a week into being sick with the coronavirus.

They take a blood test from the patient, looking for signs that the patient is about to go into symptom decline. They then often suggest early hospitalisation, or offer medication to patients who have mild or moderate symptoms; therefore increasing the likelihood of minimising patient deterioration in the earlier stages of symptoms and improving the chances of surviving before any rapid infection decline by being in a hospital when symptoms begin.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Carl Dinnen

Verified account

@carldinnen
21m21 minutes ago
More
BREAKING from PA
Boris Johnson and Carrie Symonds have announced the birth of a "healthy baby boy at a London hospital earlier this morning". Both mother and baby are doing very well, their spokesman said
Officially that's offspring from three different mothers with a fourth having had two terminations.

Turn that round and any woman who indulged in that kind of sexual behaviour would get called...well, we all know what. And said by the very same people who smile indulgently and go "Oh Boris, what a lad eh?"
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Our country is in the grip of a deep and ongoing crisis. We need a government willing to get a grip and put in the work to get us through it. We can't afford to have a part-time PM. If Johnson isn't up to the job, if he needs time to convalesce and take paternity leave, I honestly think he should step down. He can't keep taking the decisions but none of the responsibility. If he's back at work, he should be at PMQs. If he's not at PMQs, he's not back at work and it's time someone else who can actually do the job takes over properly. This should have already have happened in reality, we've been adrift without leadership for far too long.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

The really puzzling thing is, why would any other woman sign up for the same treatment? But she has.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Willow904 wrote:Our country is in the grip of a deep and ongoing crisis. We need a government willing to get a grip and put in the work to get us through it. We can't afford to have a part-time PM. If Johnson isn't up to the job, if he needs time to convalesce and take paternity leave, I honestly think he should step down. He can't keep taking the decisions but none of the responsibility. If he's back at work, he should be at PMQs. If he's not at PMQs, he's not back at work and it's time someone else who can actually do the job takes over properly. This should have already have happened in reality, we've been adrift without leadership for far too long.
I agree entirely but if not Johnson who? Who would be better for us?

Gove?

Sunak may be able to string a sentence together better than the others but we shouldn't conclude that his heart's in the right place.

They're a bunch of third-raters.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Hunt?

I can't tell you how unspeakably depressed that thought makes me.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Guardian
Downing Street played us all quite brilliantly.
Ah, well. Not 'Downing Street have been lying to us all again'.
I still believe in a town called Hope
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

David Lammy

@DavidLammy

Congratulations " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … (Politics Live, Guardian)
The brevity speaks volumes. It made me laugh.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

David Davis, of all people, picking up on the piece I linked a few days ago about early treatment.

https://reaction.life/britains-shocking ... road-fast/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
because the early stages of the coronavirus and its associated pneumonia were almost symptom free, patients were arriving very late at hospital, after their lungs had suffered potentially fatal damage, and therefore too late for medical care to be able to rescue them. The question that we must ask is, is the same happening in Britain? And can we prevent it?

We also now know that to minimise the strain on hospital resources we have been discharging patients too quickly back into care homes, thereby probably propagating the virus into the most vulnerable groups. Could it be that with the same aim, of reducing the pressure on the NHS, we have been accidentally rationing access to hospital until it is too late to treat the disease, presenting our doctors and nurses with an impossible problem?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

adam wrote:Guardian
Downing Street played us all quite brilliantly.
Ah, well. Not 'Downing Street have been lying to us all again'.
Yes, the "Boris returns to work" fanfare is now pretty much revealed as "Boris returns to London as baby is due"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Devi Sridhar
@devisridhar
With Covid, countries need to stop building policy over what is currently feasible & instead start outlining what is needed to contain this virus & then build the system to deliver it. Better to start building it today rather than in a few weeks.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:Hunt?

I can't tell you how unspeakably depressed that thought makes me.
The person most responsible for the decline of the NHS and the decline of the pandemic stockpile probably wouldn't be my first choice. It's not about who would be good at the job, though, it's about having someone doing the job at all, it's getting that desperate.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Ah well, I suppose he has an excuse for missing PMQs now......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

In a letter to the home affairs committee Priti Patel said:

The disparate nature of the social care sector makes it a unique challenge when making specific immigration offers.

We keep policy under review and are continuing to consider what more we can do to support frontline workers.

Social workers who are employed by NHS trusts (or NHS-commissioned independent healthcare providers), working in one of the defined occupations, will benefit from the automatic visa extension offer where visas are due to expire before 1 October 2020. (Politics Live, Guardian - my emphasis)

Who will benefit? The horrible woman's got no idea, has she?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Patel as Johnson's successor - now there's a thought. A very dark one.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Just a thought -

I thought we were told that the child was due in the summer. We're still in April. Presumably we're using George Osborne's Movable Budget Calendar.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Babies of older fathers are at greater risk of premature birth, low birth weight and other neonatal problems. Just another thought.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I noted the above claim that the baby was "healthy", hopefully that is actually true.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I noted the above claim that the baby was "healthy", hopefully that is actually true.
I'm sure it is, but that doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't a little bit ahead of schedule.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

As a premature baby myself, I concur.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PorFavor wrote:Just a thought -

I thought we were told that the child was due in the summer. We're still in April. Presumably we're using George Osborne's Movable Budget Calendar.
I thought it was May.

FWIW, I think RO'T is on the nail saying that's why they came back from Chequers, and my guess is she's had an elective caesarian. I think they're relatively common in the circles they move in and Symonds would be close to being an 'elderly primigravida' in medical parlance.
There could be good medical reasons for it either, my great-nephew was born by scheduled caesarian a couple of weeks early because the scans showed he was a big baby.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good afternoon, everyone.
AFinch
Backbencher

Post by AFinch »

Hello everyone.

This was recorded in their homes, while they were physically separate.

Never a fan and don't know their stuff but this cheered me up (two of them in their Jimjams):

[youtube]Cj_TyLte7S4[/youtube]
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

The Twitter account reviewing people's bookcases seen behind them have been amusing me over the past week or so, and this is a cracker.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Concerns over training at emergency morgues run by UK festival firm

Recruits allege lack of training at sites in London and say they were ordered to sign NDAs (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... irm-london
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I miss HindleA.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:I miss HindleA.
As do we all.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

...government’s...latest UK coronavirus death figures. Today it gives the total death toll as 26,097.

However, it is important to stress that this count only includes deaths of people who tested positive for coronavirus. There will be many people who have died from coronavirus without having had a positive test.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... b206dcf7a8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
number of deaths only includes people having been tested positive for it
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Could anyone tell me what the Conservative backbench obsession with garden centres is all about? I mean today at the briefing we saw that unnecessary car journeys are at their highest since the lockdown yet at least two of the Tory bozos used their questions this lunchtime to ask about opening garden centres which would make things worse.

Do they get their cocaine smuggled in marigolds?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I've enjoyed breathing cleaner air during my daily urban hike. Working up a wholesome sweat, friends here and Mr citizen are keeping me tethered to life.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

And about those Coronavirus briefings, they're a complete waste of time. All we get day after day is a minister and a couple of advisors covering their own arses while journalists attempt unsuccessfully to expose said arses while being hampered by the wearing of kid gloves. It's painfully obvious these people have jobs and reputations to protect and that comes before all considerations when deciding how to answer a question. To the extent where knowing answering the actual question will mean admitting mistakes they decide to answer a different question nobody asked. It's all very well saying "we're following the science" but scientists are as flawed as anyone else. They aren't Spock, they have egos, they're at the mercy of their own vanity and fears like the rest of us. And that results in standing in front of a graph showing we're doing worse than anywhere besides Trump's United States and behaving as if everything's going to plan.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

citizenJA wrote:I've enjoyed breathing cleaner air during my daily urban hike.
Great isn't it? My Hayfever is nowhere near as bad as usual, just a mild sniffle. So much for the idea traffic pollution has nothing to do with it. I never had hayfever before I moved to a city.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I love you, everyone.
I'm going to get some sleep.
I'll be back tomorrow.
Goodnight.
cJA
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

citizenJA wrote:I love you, everyone.
I'm going to get some sleep.
I'll be back tomorrow.
Goodnight.
cJA
Night night.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

citizenJA wrote:I miss HindleA.
For anyone wondering I'm sorry to say I've not heard anything back from Hindle's family after emailing my details to the funeral director to pass on after they kindly offered to do so. I've no idea whether they did pass them on of course but I haven't got it in me to start harassing an undertaker to find out. I always thought it was a long shot.

Also I found a text that he'd sent me sharing a Google Photos album that I remembered had pictures from his marathons and photos of us I'd sent him after various escapades (I no longer had them as they were on a phone I had stolen a couple of years ago) but when I checked the whole lot had been deleted, it was entirely empty.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:And about those Coronavirus briefings, they're a complete waste of time
Maybe one minor benefit is that they have demonstrated beyond doubt what an absolute arse Peston is.

Even right wingers don't like him now.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Sky'sGoneOut wrote:And about those Coronavirus briefings, they're a complete waste of time
Maybe one minor benefit is that they have demonstrated beyond doubt what an absolute arse Peston is.

Even right wingers don't like him now.
Yes I aaah admit errm that's something I'd aaaah failed to errm fully appreciate, just how much the aaaah briefings have shown up the errm cosy client journalists for the aaahhh useless hacks they errm really are.

Some interesting polls going around as I'm sure you know.

One with the BBC then the Guardian as the most trusted news sources with the Mail and Sun as the least trusted.

Seems when it comes to killer viruses the Left has an advantage.

I saw an interesting interview with David Frum where he was saying Republicans are eager to raise the lockdown in America because they calculate it will kill more Democratic voters because in their states Democrats make up the majority of healthcare workers, shop workers, etc. Frum wasn't advocating this obviously just reporting what he'd been told by Republican strategists.

Can you imagine Robert Peston aaahing and erming against that kind of brutally cynical electoral politics?

If there's one thing we all should be thankful for it's that we don't live in the United States.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

NHS staff coronavirus inquests told not to look at PPE shortages

Exclusive: guidance to avoid examining systemic failures is ‘very worrying’, says Labour (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... -shortages
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

So I'm reading an article right now about a drug that could possibly alleviate Covid 19 symptoms and it refers to the treatment as perhaps being a 'silver bullet'.

And I've seen this countless times previously and it annoys me.

Silver bullets kill werewolves. Coronavirus is not Lycanthropy. Patients do not go through an awesome transformation process in Jenny Agguter's flat.

What I presume they mean is 'magic bullet'.

[youtube]10a5cflZzBg[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]g5gAdGiMzcE[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

The very same people as above.

[youtube]mm2GN-48QYg[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Hindle is dead, he's already being eaten by worms and woodlice and all sorts of tiny creatures.

Bacteria and fungi are breaking down his once formidable cellular defences.

Breaking him down into soil.

Unless he was cremated of course. What an unforgiveable waste of resources that is.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I mean if you want to be burned and add more carbon stripped of everything else to a world that's struggling to deal with such things then that's your choice.

[youtube]mVDdm3GvdUk[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]RWZFa7W-kkY[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]XOic6pVAN30[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut