Friday 1st May 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 1st May 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 1st May 2020

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor's mimosa particularly good today
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

On that note, good morefternoon all.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Care home boss blasts Johnson's claim that pandemic is on downward slope
Robert Booth

One of the UK’s largest providers of care homes, which has lost over 300 residents to Covid-19, has responded angrily to Boris Johnson’s claim the pandemic is on a downward slope, saying this is not true in care homes and lambasting the newly announced testing regime as “completely shambolic”.

MHA, which has 222 facilities, said the prime minister was being “at best disingenuous” when he told the Downing Street press briefing the UK has come through the peak and there was sunlight ahead. (Politics Live, Guardian)
I'm not in the least bit, under normal circumstances, a cheerleader for the private care home sector but - strange times.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

We are fairly obviously post peak in terms of overall deaths, which is something to be thankful for. But not out of the woods yet by a long stretch.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

May already?

Interesting that when the old routine was disrupted the first couple of weeks seemed to take forever but now we're in a new routine time seems to be racing along.

And it's raining here so the daily walk will have to wait. The scrubs workshop is going well in the next room.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

I've just told 'er indoors that the works canteen opens in 5 minutes...half hour for lunch and then back to work!
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote: Interesting that when the old routine was disrupted the first couple of weeks seemed to take forever but now we're in a new routine time seems to be racing along
As with most other things, over time you get used to it. Going back to work is actually likely to feel odd for quite a few at first.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:We are fairly obviously post peak in terms of overall deaths, which is something to be thankful for. But not out of the woods yet by a long stretch.
Data from the ONS seems to indicate there might be a regional aspect to peaks, AK. Also, we may experience more than one peak. A lot a motor vehicles on the road for several days here in the Midlands.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

He's not wrong.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

citizenJA wrote: A lot a motor vehicles on the road for several days here in the Midlands.
People have never been told not to go to work.
I'm not saying there isn't more traffic about, but some of it could be people taking the car rather than public transport? Perceived as less risky + quicker journeys because minimal congestion.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The government has changed the way it is counting the number of Covid-19 tests carried out in a bid to hit its self-imposed 100,000 tests per day target, the Health Service Journal reports.

Previously, a test would be counted once the sample had been processed in a lab, but this definition has been changed in the last few days, a senior source has told the HSJ.

According to the source, the Department of Health and Social care is now including tests that have been posted or delivered to people’s home in its figures – which means tests that are sent to people are counted before the recipient has done their test and returned their sample to the lab.

The HSJ understands that up to 50,000 of the tests that will be reported as having taken place on 30 April will actually represent the mailing or the agreeing to mail a home testing kit. (Politics Live, Guardian - my emphasis)
There's a surprise.
Lost Soul
Committee Chair

Post by Lost Soul »

I think I've just said goodbye to my mum over the phone. allowed one person there - my sister suited and masked.
We had the phone on speaker - could hardly hear her but she said she loved me.
and that she'd be watching over me... we all laughed when I said she still made that sound like a threat...

I say 'think' because my mum lost consciousness and my sister had to leave with her phone.

I've heard nothing since.

I'm not sure what we do next.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@Lost Soul

I'm so sorry for you.
Lost Soul
Committee Chair

Post by Lost Soul »

PorFavor wrote:@Lost Soul

I'm so sorry for you.
Thank you PorFavor. I'm not used to being unable to sort things out or fix stuff...

Had more news - she may not be aware of anything. Maybe tonight or tomorrow. She is very weak.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

That's really tough, Lost Soul, not being able to be there and not know what's going on. I'm so sorry.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Lost Soul
Committee Chair

Post by Lost Soul »

It is. But I think there's an awful lot of us going through the same thing.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I'm so sorry.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Yes, this is just so sad.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Oh god Lost Soul that's awful. I wish you the very best.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

And it makes me so angry. I now have a bloke in my house who seems to think it's ok to have his two little kids coming round to visit his flat every day, and when I confronted him about it at lunchtime he couldn't comprehend what my problem was, people still can't form orderly queues outside supermarkets even with a 2 metre gap marked out on the ground, then when inside any notion of social distancing goes out the window. This lockdown has been a constant war against human stupidity and complacency. Hundreds of people are dying every day and yet a significant minority of the British public just couldn't give a shit. I wouldn't mind if it just meant them dying but the pig ignorant selfish fuckers put all of our lives at risk. I'm sorry if this seems the wrong time for this rant but I've been spitting feathers all week and quite frankly felt like I was going to snap in Tesco the other day when a guy in a mask shoved himself directly in front of me, and I mean within millimetres, to get himself some eggs. It would have been rude at the best of times and I really had to exercise extreme self control in only calling him a 'fucking moron'. He said something back but the mask muffled his no doubt devastating retort. And his behaviour was just the peak of a wave of outright idiocy. I mean even today at the tills the woman behind me completely ignored the tape on the floor you're meant to stand behind to distance you from the cashier and when I pointed this out to her she glared at me then slowly walked back behind the tape making a show of it, I asked the lass on the till how many people were ignoring the distancing rules and she sighed and said about half of them. I tell you, if I was working in a supermarket I'd want a lot more than a 10% bonus to put up with that kind of shit.

Again apologies for the rant, and I wish everyone the best.