Bank Holiday Weekend 8th, 9th and 10th May 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Bank Holiday Weekend 8th, 9th and 10th May 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Bank Holiday Weekend 8th, 9th and 10th May 2020

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Will Davies
@davies_will
Level 1:
The problem facing the Downing Street comms machine is that when you get too good at spreading misinformation, you eventually become incapable of spreading information.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

gilsey wrote:Will Davies
@davies_will
Level 1:
The problem facing the Downing Street comms machine is that when you get too good at spreading misinformation, you eventually become incapable of spreading information.
Beautifully put!

(his observations are worth following more generally)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Sam Coates Sky
@SamCoatesSky

Mr Drakeford says that the changes for England to be announced by Boris Johnson on Sunday will be similar to those he has announced
:)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Heh, I'm sure BoJo will love that :P
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good afternoon, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The path of compassion is altruistic but not idealistic. Walking this path we are not asked to lay down our life, find a solution for all of the struggles in this world, or immediately rescue all beings. The path of compassion is cultivated one step and one moment at a time. Each of those steps lessens mountains of sorrow in the world.
- How to Be a Bodhisattva
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

The housing benefit increase has finally arrived, I had a random payment from Leeds Council show up today so checked the local housing allowance and mine has increased by a whopping £3.41 a week. Which is not to be sniffed at as that covers my entire weekly oven chip expenses.

Also could somebody please tell Hay Fever to stop having nearly exactly the same symptoms as Coronavirus. It's really beginning to piss me off.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Oh look...

Public health directors in England are asked to take charge of Covid-19 testing

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... care-homes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The switch is a conspicuous, if belated, vote of confidence in local government’s ability to help get a grip on the Covid crisis. There has been frustration and incomprehension that public health teams have until now been left as bit-players in the testing programme and in tracking and tracing carriers of the virus.

One senior director of public health said: “We’ve been pushing and pushing government to realise that we exist and that we are best placed to organise things like testing, alongside directors of adult social services, because we know our patch.”
"Why has this taken so long?" seems to be a question asked about so many aspects of this current situation.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I'm sad to say I missed George Eustace doing the daily Coronavirus conference today, and I really mean that as last night on Question Time the man was comedy gold. My favourite part of his routine was when the subject turned to the government app, George clearly had absolutely no idea what he was talking about but in his inimitable style he just kept blathering on regardless. It didn't matter that what was coming out of his mouth was transparent nonsense and that he kept contradicting himself, all that concerned George was that he made sounds that bore a passing resemblance to human speech. Even Fiona Bruce was looking at him askance, quite possibly wondering whether she should ring an ambulance.

It really was very funny, well unitl you considered this abject cretin was a Government minister.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Not called George Useless for nothing, evidently.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

RogerOThornhill wrote:"Why has this taken so long?" seems to be a question asked about so many aspects of this current situation.
It really does beggar belief, South Korea used local public health teams from the very beginning, even encouraging retired local nurses and police to help with testing, tracking and tracing. People who knew their area, knew the people who lived there.

Even with the evidence of that success our government has done the precise opposite, they've outsourced everything they could to Deloittes, Serco, G4S and put a small company of 150 employees in charge of providing millions of vouchers for the poorest kids in the country.

So it's possible to answer the question "Why has this taken so long" with a single word.

Ideology.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Ok so this is definitely Hay Fever, I was just overcome by a sneezing fit while attempting to keep my mouth closed because it was full of red wine. Never try to do that. I ended up half choking and some of the wine ended up coming out of my nose mixed with snot.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Bless you!
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I don't know about anyone else but I had a fairly extensive wander earlier and the amount of people out and about seemed a little less than it had been earlier in the week, so this idea that the Mail/Sun/Telegraph headlines would encourage people to break the lockdown rules seems to have been utter bunkum. I wonder if that has anything to do with the poll last week about trusted sources on Coronavirus where the Sun and Mail came bottom?

It seems Brits are happy to accept jingoistic bullshit from the right wing press but not health advice.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:I don't know about anyone else but I had a fairly extensive wander earlier and the amount of people out and about seemed a little less than it had been earlier in the week, so this idea that the Mail/Sun/Telegraph headlines would encourage people to break the lockdown rules seems to have been utter bunkum. I wonder if that has anything to do with the poll last week about trusted sources on Coronavirus where the Sun and Mail came bottom?

It seems Brits are happy to accept jingoistic bullshit from the right wing press but not health advice.
So, to be clear, when you went for a walk earlier there weren't lots of people sat in their driveways with bunting and cake? And definitely no children being towed in a trailer playing the drums? That was just us then? I'll be honest with you, it was pretty freaky and made me question my sanity a little.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

This is hilarious and scary at the same time

[youtube]osgcTSVt7eU[/youtube]
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@citizenJA

Night night.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

GetYou wrote:This is hilarious and scary at the same time

I just watched that on the Mash Report. I didn't catch that particular car crash from Hancock. Seriously worryingly bad. Though I doubt anything will ever top Priti Patel's fight against counter-terrorism.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Willow904 wrote:So, to be clear, when you went for a walk earlier there weren't lots of people sat in their driveways with bunting and cake? And definitely no children being towed in a trailer playing the drums? That was just us then? I'll be honest with you, it was pretty freaky and made me question my sanity a little.
I can confirm I saw absolutely none of that. No bunting, no cake, no drum playing kids in a trailer. Nothing.

Of course I live in a multicultural Labour constituency which voted 77% to remain in the EU so I recognise my stroll may have been through an atypical enviroment but when I did see a Union Jack flying in someone's garden I asked myself why it was there and remembered it was VE day. And that was the only flag I saw in nearly 5 miles.

So yeah that shit with the kids on drums in the trailer was just you. :D
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Willow904 wrote:
GetYou wrote:This is hilarious and scary at the same time

I just watched that on the Mash Report. I didn't catch that particular car crash from Hancock. Seriously worryingly bad. Though I doubt anything will ever top Priti Patel's fight against counter-terrorism.

The Elements of Medical one was my favourite.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Anyway what is the VE day shit?

My Grandad never spoke about what he'd done in the war (or afterwards in Palestine) until he was essentially on his deathbed.

Why is it those actually involved seemed so reticent to talk about, never mind celebrate, their war experiences, yet the generations who came after seem so determined to weave it into the national myth?

It's pathetic.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I mean I understand it's the 75'th anniversary of victory in Europe but what's the point?

Besides bunting and children playing drums in a trailer.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Never heard anything about my grandads' war experience. One was an East End docker (would that have been a reserved occupation?) and the other was in the Merchant Navy (Arctic Convoys, I think). But I only heard that from various uncles and aunts.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

My grandad was on merchant navy ships in the Atlantic and North Sea.

He seemed curiously unmoved by the suffering of the German submariners when the BBC showed the full TV series of Das Boot.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I fucking hate REM. Besides this.

[youtube]j7oQEPfe-O8[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]GXCh9OhDiCI[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Indie night at the Riverside in about 1992.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]rxUv79hejRU[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]O8maBsuhHr4[/youtube]
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-wales-5 ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Coronavirus: Sewage study could predict second Covid-19 peak
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
Visitors and Britons returning from abroad will be required to self-isolate for two weeks

Stringent quarantine measures to be announced to prevent second wave of coronavirus

Travellers into the UK will be quarantined for two weeks when they arrive as part of measures to prevent a second peak of the coronavirus pandemic, Boris Johnson is expected to say on Sunday. (Guardian)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

RogerOThornhill wrote: "Why has this taken so long?" seems to be a question asked about so many aspects of this current situation.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Or, horse, stable door, lock.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Dad was called up in WW2 and joined the Fleet Air Arm but they found out he was clever and sent him to engineering college in Stoke, which he hated, couldn't wait to get back to Keighley Treasurer's Dept. :D
It was over before he'd finished the course.

His Dad volunteered in WW1, under age. He was a groom for the cavalry! Came home safe, I never heard him speak about it.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/albert ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Germany Has Shared The Details Of Its Coronavirus Contact Tracing Operation. The UK Won’t.
Just like with testing, the UK government is weeks behind and scrambling to catch up.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Anybody 'seen' frog222 lately?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

gilsey wrote:Anybody 'seen' frog222 lately?
No, I haven't.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Will we ever have conclusive proof either way whether they're a) totally incompetent or b) trying to kill as many of us plebs as they can get away with?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Sheer laziness has a lot to do with it, I suspect. Personally I tend to lean more to Simon Wren-Lewis' idea that we're dealing with people who are simply way too comfortable with large numbers of deaths. People who didn't ask the question "how can we prevent as many deaths as possible" but asked "how can we manage this situation with the least amount of effort and least impact on the economy" and then "how can we spin this to the public". it's borne, at least in part, from an inability to truly grasp the reality of the situation. It wasn't supposed to be this way and they're still in denial. Rabbits in headlights.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

They come and go, hopefully all is OK.

When were they last logged on?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

PorFavor wrote:
No, I haven't.
I've seen frog222 posting elsewhere. They're fine (well, as much as could be given the circumstances).
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Willow904 wrote:
Sky'sGoneOut wrote:I don't know about anyone else but I had a fairly extensive wander earlier and the amount of people out and about seemed a little less than it had been earlier in the week, so this idea that the Mail/Sun/Telegraph headlines would encourage people to break the lockdown rules seems to have been utter bunkum. I wonder if that has anything to do with the poll last week about trusted sources on Coronavirus where the Sun and Mail came bottom?

So, to be clear, when you went for a walk earlier there weren't lots of people sat in their driveways with bunting and cake? And definitely no children being towed in a trailer playing the drums? That was just us then? I'll be honest with you, it was pretty freaky and made me question my sanity a little.
I had a supermarket delivery last night and the driver said 'I'm a bit worried that I'm going to break up the street party down the road' and I said they all knew full well they shouldn't be having a street party and he agreed.

I've heard quite a few people round here saying 'well it isn't really round here is it?' which we obviously don't know although it's probably not a bad generalisation at the moment. But as soon as things lighten up, thouands of people from round here work in the West Midlands connurbation (including me, and my tutor room literally overlooks New Cross Hospital in Wolvo) and will be back to going there and back every day, and there will soon be plenty of it round here.
I still believe in a town called Hope
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RIP Little Richard.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

spiked

@spikedonline
Follow Follow @spikedonline
More
"We are being taught to view all other people, even our friends, as a source of lethal contagion. Socialising has become evil. Everyday interactions have become cold. This is a horrible time to be alive."

Lionel Shriver on The Brendan O'Neill Show: https://www.spiked-online.com/podcast-e ... -hysteria/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
This one seems like the type of person you'd cross the road to avoid so I'm just wondering why now is any different to normal.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Lionel Shriver on the Brendan O'Neill show - could they possibly come up with a less appealing combination if they tried?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:I mean I understand it's the 75'th anniversary of victory in Europe but what's the point?

Besides bunting and children playing drums in a trailer.
Government playing it up as distraction

please turn the page
Last edited by citizenJA on Sat 09 May, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.