Bank Holiday Weekend 8th, 9th and 10th May 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Bank Holiday Weekend 8th, 9th and 10th May 2020

Post by citizenJA »

adam wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
Sky'sGoneOut wrote:I don't know about anyone else but I had a fairly extensive wander earlier and the amount of people out and about seemed a little less than it had been earlier in the week, so this idea that the Mail/Sun/Telegraph headlines would encourage people to break the lockdown rules seems to have been utter bunkum. I wonder if that has anything to do with the poll last week about trusted sources on Coronavirus where the Sun and Mail came bottom?

It seems Brits are happy to accept jingoistic bullshit from the right wing press but not health advice.
So, to be clear, when you went for a walk earlier there weren't lots of people sat in their driveways with bunting and cake? And definitely no children being towed in a trailer playing the drums? That was just us then? I'll be honest with you, it was pretty freaky and made me question my sanity a little.
I had a supermarket delivery last night and the driver said 'I'm a bit worried that I'm going to break up the street party down the road' and I said they all knew full well they shouldn't be having a street party and he agreed.

I've heard quite a few people round here saying 'well it isn't really round here is it?' which we obviously don't know although it's probably not a bad generalisation at the moment. But as soon as things lighten up, thouands of people from round here work in the West Midlands connurbation (including me, and my tutor room literally overlooks New Cross Hospital in Wolvo) and will be back to going there and back every day, and there will soon be plenty of it round here.
Anyone know anything about this website?

https://covid.joinzoe.com/data" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good evening, everyone.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

'I'm losing my teenage years': young contend with life in lockdown
The coronavirus has affected all our lives, but six weeks since schools shut across the UK there is evidence that teenagers in particular are struggling. A study of 60,000 people in lockdown by University College London found that the youngest in the sample, 18- to 24-year-olds, had the lowest levels of life satisfaction, while the highest was recorded in the over-60s.
I am (honestly) sympathetic to this - I'm a secondary school teacher and my kids aren't much older than the people interviewed here.

On the other hand, though, my dad left school at 15 to work in London through the Blitz, and was in the Navy in the Med, in the war, as soon as he was 18. We've been limited in how much we can leave the house for six weeks. Although technology means we can communicate with each other still to a degree that others could only dream.

I think that around the anniversiry of VE day was probably not the time to write this story in this way.
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

[youtube]GP_fxgITdsM[/youtube]
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

MoS pulling out all the stops for their "Open our schools dammit!" story

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sam Freedman

@Samfr
Follow Follow @Samfr
MoreSam Freedman Retweeted MoS_Politics
Wow the Mail really dusted off the old contact book for this one - Smithers, Seldon, Campaign for "Real" Education..
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
Rosena Allin-Khan: 'If Matt Hancock found my tone difficult, that's on him'

The Labour MP and A&E doctor on her run-in with the health secretary and her shifts on the hospital frontline (Observer)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -is-on-him
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

RogerOThornhill wrote:MoS pulling out all the stops for their "Open our schools dammit!" story

Sam Freedman

@Samfr
Follow Follow @Samfr
MoreSam Freedman Retweeted MoS_Politics
Wow the Mail really dusted off the old contact book for this one - Smithers, Seldon, Campaign for "Real" Education..
Campaign For Real Education - even their name screams "grifters" :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Harry Cole
@MrHarryCole
·
22m
Cabinet are RAGING. On paper they’re meant to meet later to discuss 50 page doc and virus fight. But PM has already recorded his message, sent doc to the printers and seemingly made all the decisions with the so called quad... what’s the point of even dialling in, some asking.
May or may not be true, of course.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Scottish Health Secretary Jeane Freeman has said she has “no idea” what the UK government’s new “stay alert” slogan mean.

Speaking on the BBC’s Politics Scotland on Sunday, Ms Freeman said the Scottish Government was not consulted on the change.

She said: “That is not a change that we would agree with. I think the First Minister was really clear last week that the ‘stay at home’ message was the right message and if I’m perfectly frank, I have no idea what ‘stay alert’ actually means.” (Guardian, Live)
I thought it couldn't be only me.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

And it would still be nice to know who exactly in the government gave the go ahead to the papers for those literally insane front pages on Thursday.
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Northern Ireland’s First Minister Arlene Foster has said the region will not adopt the new government slogan, instead sticking with the “stay home, save lives” message. (Guardian, Live)
Going well so far then.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Sophie Ridge (Sky) suggests that "stay alert" is so vague as to be meaningless. Robert Jenrick says that he "hopes not".
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:
Willow904 wrote:So, to be clear, when you went for a walk earlier there weren't lots of people sat in their driveways with bunting and cake? And definitely no children being towed in a trailer playing the drums? That was just us then? I'll be honest with you, it was pretty freaky and made me question my sanity a little.
I can confirm I saw absolutely none of that. No bunting, no cake, no drum playing kids in a trailer. Nothing.

Of course I live in a multicultural Labour constituency which voted 77% to remain in the EU so I recognise my stroll may have been through an atypical enviroment but when I did see a Union Jack flying in someone's garden I asked myself why it was there and remembered it was VE day. And that was the only flag I saw in nearly 5 miles.

So yeah that shit with the kids on drums in the trailer was just you. :D
Interestingly West Yorkshire is still one of the less badly affected regions. Maybe we are somehow better at being recluses?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:Sophie Ridge (Sky) suggests that "stay alert" is so vague as to be meaningless. Robert Jenrick says that he "hopes not".
Well that inspires confidence :D
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote: Interestingly West Yorkshire is still one of the less badly affected regions. Maybe we are somehow better at being recluses?
Oh we're pretty good at being recluses down here in the West Country too most of the time, we just have an over-abundance of jingoistic Brexiteer types and a penchant for parading around the streets on the back of lorries, electric-light carnival style. It's a Somerset thing. Still freaked me out, though. Usually these things happen elsewhere and I can choose not to attend, feels a bit intrusive when you can't leave your house without being subjected to other people's idea of fun.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Sarah Dempster

@Dempster2000
Follow Follow @Dempster2000
More
I hope this email finds you alert.

10:07 AM - 10 May 2020
:D
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Interestingly West Yorkshire is still one of the less badly affected regions. Maybe we are somehow better at being recluses?
After seeing the state of Roundhay Park on the news yesterday it could simply be that all the covidiots in Leeds are congregating in a single place and leaving the rest of us in peace. I live quite nearby and have literally been avoiding the place like the plague.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I used to listen to London DJ Charlie Gillett a lot back in the 70s and one of the songs he played a lot was this one. Never a hit but an absolute classic.

RIP Betty Wright

[youtube]TPVk-m1Pr4s[/youtube]
Last edited by RogerOThornhill on Sun 10 May, 2020 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Watching Nicola Sturgeon it's immediately apparent why she's become the most trusted politician in the UK during this pandemic by a country mile. For a start she actually answers the questions she's asked, she doesn't reframe the questions to her advantage, there's no deflection or waffling and if she doesn't know something she says so. As a result the impression she gives is one of competence and honesty.

Compared to the shitshow we have to put up with South of the border the contrast is depressingly stark.

But then Scotland wasn't stupid enough to vote for someone who thought the hero of Jaws was the Mayor who kept the beaches open when his constituents we being eaten alive by a giant shark.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Evening nesters
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Also, our PM has long been noted for his "intolerance of illness" - and default assumption anybody who claimed such was actually slacking.

Maybe this was a factor in his getting so sick himself? Perish the thought.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Also, our PM has long been noted for his "intolerance of illness" - and default assumption anybody who claimed such was actually slacking.
Isn't that the default assumption of all conservatives until it happens to them?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

There seems to be a type of person who has never been especially ill, at least not as an adult, who think going to work with a slight cold proves they never let illness stop them and looks down on those who take time off with proper flu, glandular fever, norovirus etc as malingerers. It goes without saying that if such people ever do get proper flu etc themselves they take just as much time off work as everyone else and they have "never been so ill in my life" proving they had previously just been lucky not to get especially ill. I think it comes from a lack of imagination and the inability to conceive that something they themselves haven't directly experienced can actually exist.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Also, our PM has long been noted for his "intolerance of illness" - and default assumption anybody who claimed such was actually slacking.

Maybe this was a factor in his getting so sick himself? Perish the thought.
Not the cigars and brandy then? ;)
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Well that was a load of bollocks wasn't it?

Coming from the Scottish borders it took me 5 seconds to think 'Wait a minute, what if you live in Scotland but work in England?'

Are English companies going to be expecting Scots to come to work tomorrow despite their own government telling them to stay at home? And the same will be true of the Welsh of course.

He's just blown the whole 4 nations approach apart and sown confusion across the country, what an absolute clown.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

One source with close knowledge of the police’s efforts enforcing coronavirus rules, asked how easy the new rules would be to enforce, said: “Not a chance in hell.” (Guardian Live)
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

He's asking people to go back to work in construction and manufacturing before his own government's advice to employers has been finalised and published. Outstanding.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Never before have I seen a British Prime Minister look so diminished.

Presumably he was advised to make that speech this evening to regain control of the national narrative that he's so woefully lost and it's been an abject failure. The Scots, the Welsh and the Northern Irish all making it clear tonight that they'll be ignoring his unwelcome 'advice' and that he speaks for England alone.

He claimed during his little speech that he'd consulted with them and it turns out that was yet another outright lie.

If I didn't know better I'd assume on the evidence that we was trying to break up the United Kingdom intentionally, because if he isn't then the only other conclusion that bears scrutiny is that he and those advising him are staggeringly incompetent.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Is the Biosecurity Centre, referred to by Boris Johnson, a state run body or has it been farmed out?
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

PorFavor wrote:Is the Biosecurity Centre, referred to by Boris Johnson, a state run body or has it been farmed out?
Given they've outsourced absolutely everything else I think it's fair to say almost certainly the latter.

I suppose we should be thankful that besides his idiot father the rest of Johnson's family seem to be at least vaguely morally upstanding so unlike Trump he can't just bypass the state and give them the jobs to enrich themselves.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I watched Johnson's statement, thought he looked terrible. I don't usually watch because it's likely to be meaningless waffle, but this was much, much worse than that.

The more I think about it, the worse it gets. Staggering incompetence is almost an understatement.

Just how could anyone have thought any of it was a good idea?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I'm no fan of Momentum but this is very good.

[youtube]bQDPQ8bz7cU[/youtube]
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

“The biggest political crime in American history, by far!” the president wrote amid a stream of tweets of memes and rightwing talking heads claiming an anti-Trump conspiracy. One tweet by Trump simply read: “OBAMAGATE!”
Tell me Mr President, what fucking idiot fired General Flynn, delivering perfectly on this apparent coup?
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

'Recipe for chaos': union leaders sound warning over return to work
Stephen Phipson, chief executive of Make UK, the manufacturers’ trade group, said it cautiously welcomed the prime minister calling for factory staff to return to work. “However, it is critical that there is clear advice on how to do that, and an understanding that firms will be helped to comply as we navigate uncharted waters, and not punished for inadvertent errors.”
Well, no. There must be an understanding that firms will be responsible for telling the government that it is not safe for their places of employment to reopen until they - the firms -are satisfied that it is safe to do so, in terms of guidelines that the government are going to have to issue and that the public and representatives of sections of the public, such as unions, are happy with. And that firms will be held responsible if they fail to do so.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

gilsey wrote:The more I think about it, the worse it gets. Staggering incompetence is almost an understatement.
Indeed, after my initial 'what the fuck' the more I think about it the worse it seems.

I listened to a virologist on Radio 5 this lunchtime explaining how for 'track and trace' to work we need to get new infections down to the hundreds. When asked how long he thought that would take he said based on the current curve it could be 6 months and that any easing of the lockdown before then would render it near useless. When the presenter asked him if he thought we could keep our economy shut down for that long he replied that perhaps someone should have thought of that at the beginning of March when we had a virus exponentially reproducing itself throughout the population.

And Johnson is talking about opening up pubs and restaurants in July.

Just look at this...

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

The UK currently has the second worst number of active cases in the world after the U.S, more than double the number of any other European country and our idiot Prime Minister has decided people should be going back to work.

That's not just stupid it's terrifying.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]ELlLIwhvknk[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Oh yeah and remember the IHME who predicted the UK would have the highest death toll in Europe and were rubbished by the right wing press?

Lo and behold they appear to have been right.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-kingdom
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

adam wrote:[Well, no. There must be an understanding that firms will be responsible for telling the government that it is not safe for their places of employment to reopen until they - the firms -are satisfied that it is safe to do so, in terms of guidelines that the government are going to have to issue and that the public and representatives of sections of the public, such as unions, are happy with. And that firms will be held responsible if they fail to do so.
Absolutely, the former boss of Siemens was on Question Time on Thursday making that exact point but unfortunately the best the government had to offer was George Eustace who refused to accept that any bad employers existed and therefore 'guidelines' would be perfectly fine and he didn't understand what everyone was complaining about.

At the time I assumed this was because he has the intellect of a mouldy old pea you find under the fridge freezer.

But according to Johnson tonight it's English government policy.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Just a massive thank you to Roger for making me aware of Betty Wright.

[youtube]uu2qPONJ_4A[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I don't hate the Beatles.

I just don't like them. I fully appreciate their talent and influence and all that but like Bob Dylan I have no time for them.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]tsumMcjEPtQ[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

And that's the thing, most of my music isn't influenced by the Beatles.

It's influenced by weird 70's Germans.

[youtube]T_9LJCKOvQE[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

This one's for Por Favor and the stairs.

[youtube]rptW7zOPX2E[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]wuMCBE9yUqg[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]SDTSUwIZdMk[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut