Monday 8th June 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 8th June 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
GetYou
Minister of State

Re: Monday 8th June 2020

Post by GetYou »

Morning. Just read some quotes from the Starmer phone-in on LBC. Seems to have gone pretty well, sensible answers all.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Was the word "Savile" ever mentioned?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Steve Bullock
@GuitarMoog
Genuinely can’t believe we’re having to have this conversation.

A statue. An inanimate statue. Of a slave trader. Nobody hurt. Police fine & content. Local mayor supportive. Get TF over it.
I'm struggling to think of another news item in the last x months that cheered me up like watching them chuck that statue in the harbour.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Was the word "Savile" ever mentioned?
I didn't hear the interview directly, so I can't say.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:
Steve Bullock
@GuitarMoog

A statue. An inanimate statue. Of a slave trader. Nobody hurt. Police fine & content. Local mayor supportive. Get TF over it.
I'm struggling to think of another news item in the last x months that cheered me up like watching them chuck that statue in the harbour.
I've even seen "first they came for the statues".......and then what, exactly? Did the removal of Stalin/Saddam statues upset them as much??

Centrist brain worms.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:
Steve Bullock
@GuitarMoog

It was nice, wasn't it? Something positive and meaningful for a change. A peaceful protest with people working together to finally put to bed a debate that had been rumbling on, seemingly without end, for years.

Mostly because of people like this:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bris ... ue-1815967" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Theft or vandalism of second Colston statue plaque 'may be justified' - Tory councillor
The fact that Tory MPs have been condemning some minor criminal damage to an inanimate object with the same words and tone as they used to condemn violence that ended in injuries to police officers in London a couple of days ago is quite revealing, I think.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good afternoon, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

It sounds as though the statue-moving project went well.
I'm satisfied with the outcome.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm satisfied with Starmer's response too.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

citizenJA wrote:I'm satisfied with Starmer's response too.
Bonjour Citoyenne
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... 99a26dc0e1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Choose your headline --

LOTO condemns toppling statue

LOTO supports Superintendent Andy Bennett
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Or indeed - LOTO says he can understand why people did what they did, and the statue should have gone long ago.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Or indeed - LOTO says he can understand why people did what they did, and the statue should have gone long ago.
Yes, I liked this.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

citizenJA wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Or indeed - LOTO says he can understand why people did what they did, and the statue should have gone long ago.
Yes, I liked this.
tho a bit long for a headline ! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

For my info, If anyone heard/saw the interview, was the Liveblog report accurate ?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

CRACE
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ng-science" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ShindiggerE 13m ago
"the country had done the right thing at the right time." This lie needs to be nailed, because it's parroted so often. When Italy was in crisis around 13th March, Denmark locked down. Meanwhile in the UK the doubling time for C19 cases was THREE DAYS. So the 10 days between Denmark's lockdown and ours gave us an 8 fold increase in the number of cases. Lets be very generous and say that led to only a doubling in C19 deaths--from 30,000 to 60,000.

Take a deep breath and imagine the response from `BJ, Patel and co, if the police or security services had sat on information for 10 days, when action needed to be taken immediately, and 30,000 people had died needlessly. And watch the people who did sit on their hands for 10 days and did cause 30,000 needless deaths lie and lie again, about how they did the right thing at the right time. Nail it now and nail it hard. If Priti wants a new offence, how about causing death by reckless misconduct in public office, with her chums in the cabinet as the first to be found guilty?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Anyone about tonight?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Not wanting to thwart the WILL OF THE PEOPLE ( /cough> /cough>), but --

Oooh !

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/300412" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Extend the transition; delay negotiations until after the coronavirus outbreak

The government should consider delaying negotiations so they can concentrate on the coronavirus situation and reduce travel of both EU and UK negotiators. This would necessitate extending the transition period; as there can only be a one off extension, this should be for two years.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -i-see-one" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good one ---
History is made and unmade in a moment. To witness such moments is thrilling. Watching the statue of Edward Colston pulled down was beautiful. A symbolic gesture, perhaps, but one that hurt no one, and one that taught many of us so much.