Monday 15th June 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 15th June 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 15th June 2020

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Morning
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Did everyone see Marcus Rashford's open letter to MPs? It's very good.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

One care home manager wrote last week to residents’ families telling them that when she recently asked for kits with which to test loved ones and staff, “instead of sending 200, I was sent 400”.

“I telephoned the company that has been contracted by the government to complete the testing, as I was concerned that I had received someone else’s testing sets by mistake, to be told that they have been told to send out double the amount that has been requested, [and] they then record that number as daily tests completed,” added the manager, who we have chosen not to name.
DHSC- " Working with private companies, the department has so far sent more than 1m testing kits to more than 9,000 care homes since 11 May. Tests sent to care homes or self-testing kits sent to people’s homes are counted towards its total of “tests” completed, it confirmed."
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... st-figures" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Start the week with something even batshit crazier than usual ! So I can post a sales brochure for my widgets and count it as a sale ...
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Sam Freedman
@Samfr
@TheIFS have estimated that ultimately the two-child cap will put 300k additional children in poverty for a saving less than half what the Treasury takes in in duty on spirits. It is terrible terrible policy and flat out cruel.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

Did everyone see Marcus Rashford's open letter to MPs? It's very good.

Some of us have known he is sound for a while :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

This is a little bit..unconventional, no?

Jim Waterson
@jimwaterson
Boris Johnson's article in the Telegraph has been freed from their paywall and stuck on the official government website.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Its not called the Borisograph for nothing......
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Wonder if he got paid for it?

As an aside, it's really poorly written - never mind some of the sentiment. If it was written by anyone else it would have been spiked immediately.

Talking of which...
spiked
@spikedonline
So what if Baden-Powell enjoyed Mein Kampf? Many of the British elites in his day were sympathetic to Hitler. We should celebrate him for giving us the Scouts, which brings children together from all walks of life, writes
@JimButcher2
:roll:

As far as I can make out there never was any threat to the BP memorial in Poole - just a "Well, something might happen so we'd better protect it"
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Well indeed, over a week on there is still a precise total of one statue that has been "brought down by the mob".
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

This take is by far the worst I've seen.

https://westmonster.com/why-i-as-a-blac ... orting-blm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Likewise, the toppling of Edward Colston’s statue in Bristol showed the movement up to be uncivil riotous thugs. This isn’t a Middle Eastern dictatorship; we don’t tear down public art because we disagree with it. Colston did a lot of good in his life, funding hospitals, schools and churches. He also did a lot of evil in supporting the slave trade.

But judging historical figures by today’s progressive liberal standards is ridiculous because once you fall down that rabbit hole, there’s no coming back from it. If you dig deep enough, you’ll find something offensive in the past of every historical figure. Where does it end?
A Conservative teacher...thankfully not of history.

And "supporting" - a little more than that.

Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

If we judge Colston by the standards of the past, the struggle to fund the statue in the first place suggests a man unpopular across all generations bar a handful of soulless imperialists.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

This review by Richard Evans of the PM's book on Churchill has popped up again - lots to enjoy here.

https://www.newstatesman.com/books/2014 ... -churchill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I'd never heard of Colston previously, my reaction to finding out about him was: charity for white people, slavery for black people.

David Lammy isn't above a bit of self-promotion but that doesn't mean he's wrong.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I do find the whole "things were different then" crap really aggravating. There's been lots of this "oh but slave trading was legal back then". Yes, and so's selling cigarettes and fracking these days but I don't approve of those either and you can bet your bottom dollar that plenty of people were opposed to slavery back then too, even if it was only those who ended up as slaves and if you are saying that the slaves' opinion in the matter somehow doesn't count, that's exactly the problem, the continued ingrained racism and automatic viewpoint that black lives and opinions don't matter as much as white lives and opinions, that the people who pulled down Colston's statue are protesting about.

Indeed, so shaky is this ground for Johnson's right wing populist project we've seen the introduction of the completely separate issue of the vandalism of war memorials in an attempt to confuse the very reasonable objections to a statue of a slaver with mindless vandalism and disrespect for ordinary lives lost in war in a desperate attempt to paint those opposed to racism and slavery as somehow the "bad guys". I'm glad to see Starmer was smart enough not to fall into this trap but many clearly kind and caring people on the left are sadly playing the role Johnson created for them, seemingly blind to the frightening level of manipulation and organisation involved in raising an army of football hooligans and far right sympathisers to turn out up and down the land to guard war memorials, not statues of slave traders or even just statues, but war memorials, something that has never been under threat, either explicitly or implicitly, from the black rights protests. And not just in London, but in cities and towns all over. Just think about that for a second. Really good job from BLM in not getting sucked into the shitty Trumpian vortex and pushing on with respectful, peaceful, socially distanced protests like the one in Brighton, even though they knew few media outlets will cover it because it doesn't tell the "right" story, the story this shitty conservative government is trying, and I very much hope is failing, to construct.

Anyway, rant over. Hope everyone is well. And btw, yes, 10 years is a totally inappropriate sentence for writing "JD 4 DS" on a stone cross, but we need to try not to panic and have faith in our justice system that they won't take advantage of the new longer term available unless it actually fits the crime. Defending mindless vandals is exactly what they want the liberal left to be seen to be doing. Let's not play their game and keep asking them when the recommendations from the Lammy and Windrush reports will finally be implemented instead.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Willow904 wrote:I do find the whole "things were different then" crap really aggravating. There's been lots of this "oh but slave trading was legal back then". Yes, and so's selling cigarettes and fracking these days but I don't approve of those either and you can bet your bottom dollar that plenty of people were opposed to slavery back then too, even if it was only those who ended up as slaves and if you are saying that the slaves' opinion in the matter somehow doesn't count, that's exactly the problem, the continued ingrained racism and automatic viewpoint that black lives and opinions don't matter as much as white lives and opinions, that the people who pulled down Colston's statue are protesting about.

Indeed, so shaky is this ground for Johnson's right wing populist project we've seen the introduction of the completely separate issue of the vandalism of war memorials in an attempt to confuse the very reasonable objections to a statue of a slaver with mindless vandalism and disrespect for ordinary lives lost in war in a desperate attempt to paint those opposed to racism and slavery as somehow the "bad guys". I'm glad to see Starmer was smart enough not to fall into this trap but many clearly kind and caring people on the left are sadly playing the role Johnson created for them, seemingly blind to the frightening level of manipulation and organisation involved in raising an army of football hooligans and far right sympathisers to turn out up and down the land to guard war memorials, not statues of slave traders or even just statues, but war memorials, something that has never been under threat, either explicitly or implicitly, from the black rights protests. And not just in London, but in cities and towns all over. Just think about that for a second. Really good job from BLM in not getting sucked into the shitty Trumpian vortex and pushing on with respectful, peaceful, socially distanced protests like the one in Brighton, even though they knew few media outlets will cover it because it doesn't tell the "right" story, the story this shitty conservative government is trying, and I very much hope is failing, to construct.

Anyway, rant over. Hope everyone is well. And btw, yes, 10 years is a totally inappropriate sentence for writing "JD 4 DS" on a stone cross, but we need to try not to panic and have faith in our justice system that they won't take advantage of the new longer term available unless it actually fits the crime. Defending mindless vandals is exactly what they want the liberal left to be seen to be doing. Let's not play their game and keep asking them when the recommendations from the Lammy and Windrush reports will finally be implemented instead.
PS --- this from AK last night
" Point is, and for once I agree with the likes of David Aaronovitch on this, its all a load of confected bull***t so there is no need for Labour to give the Tories what they want and let them start off a week long culture war of "by opposing this, Labour are showing they hate the likes of YOU".

There is already the capacity to sentence people for up to 10 years for desecrating (say) the Cenotaph in existing legislation (passed by that well known Trumpist populist, Edward Heath) and there is no way that whatever "law" is passed, people will get that long (or indeed jailed at all) for an inappropriately placed BLM sticker for example.

There are times when it is best to not play along.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Absolutely. Unfortunately I've seen quite a few left wingers on twitter (people I've followed for a long time, so not bots) who have been expressing unhappiness at Starmer's response to Johnson on war memorials, even though it has nothing to do with supporting/not supporting the removal of one specfic and particularly contentious statue.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I quite enjoyed this article in the New Statesman today, though. There is some hope, I think, that the whole, rotten Johnson/Cummings show may have peaked, although unfortunately it probably won't run out of steam before it staggers across the crash out "no deal" Brexit finish line:

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/u ... r-covid-19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Faced with this record, it is unsurprising that Johnson should seek to divert attention by wading into the almost non-existent debate over whether to move Winston Churchill’s statue from Parliament Square. As during the 2019 general election, he and Cummings are most comfortable when fighting a culture war. But as the full scale of the UK’s failures becomes clear, they may yet find themselves with no escape route.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

This will, I think, be the 222,222nd post on Daily Politics 8-)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh dear...

citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good evening, everyone.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I'm shocked, shocked that the PM has chosen his own advisor and someone he was very close to in City Hall to lead this new race equality commission!

Dismay over adviser chosen to set up UK race inequality commission

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... nira-mirza" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The new government commission on racial inequalities is being set up by a No 10 adviser who has cast doubt on the existence of institutional racism and condemned previous inquiries for fostering a “culture of grievance”, it has emerged.

Munira Mirza, the head of the No 10 policy unit, is leading much of the work to form the commission on race and ethnic disparities announced by Boris Johnson on Sunday after the global wave of Black Lives Matter (BLM) protests, the Guardian has been told.

It is understood that Mirza has said she hopes to recruit Trevor Phillips as part of the commission. Phillips, the former chair of the Equalities and Human Rights Commission, would be a controversial choice, having previously referred to UK Muslims as being “a nation within a nation”.
And you'll never guess where she wrote the article doubting the existence of institutional racism.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2017/09/1 ... al-racism/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, she's one of them...they get everywhere.

She was at University of Kent and did a PhD in sociology. Although it doesn't have any acknowledgements which is a bit odd, I wouldn't mind betting Frank Furedi was one of her supervisors.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Greg Hands
@GregHands
The continuing boarding up of the Winston Churchill statue in Parliament Square by
@SadiqKhan
is one of the most shameful things I have seen in 22 years of politics. I am with
@ShaunBaileyUK
in getting Sir Winston back on view pronto!
Not Windrush?
Not Grenfell?
Not your PM calling for a referendum, losing it, and then scuttling off leaving everyone else to clear up the mess?
Not another PM proroguing Parliament illegally?

Nope.

Sticking boards round a statue.

:toss:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

And look who's back in London politics...
Dave Hill
@DaveHill
·
4m
NEW. #SadiqKhan's deputy mayor for transport has slammed government 'game-playing' over #TfL bailout: https://onlondon.co.uk/deputy-mayor-sla ... l-bailout/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. We've also learned that Andrew Gilligan, a kind of penny-farthing Cummings, will be on an "active travel" TfL sub-committee. Bad luck everyone else.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh dear, Robert Jenrick has made the front pages of the mail although their promotion of this story has more to do with their dislike of Desmond than anything else.

https://news.sky.com/story/tuesdays-nat ... s-12007599" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA