Thursday 18th June 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 18th June 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 18th June 2020

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

'Patronising' Tory MP ordered to apologise for failing to declare directorships

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... e-22212587" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Committee said Mr Fysh took a "deprecatory and, at points, patronising tone" towards the Parliamentary Standards Commissioner and raised "unfounded questions about their objectivity."

There were also "unnecessary delays" when he "did not respond to requests in a timely manner" - including missing four deadlines to reply.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Always wondered what Pink Floyd's "Vera" was about, given that she was very much still alive - and would be for another four decades.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

Matthew Champion
@matthewchampion
2h
had to listen back a few times to check Dominic Raab really said this
https://twitter.com/matthewchampion/sta ... 6570957824

You know nothing, Dominic Raab.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

You mean he has put his foot in it, again?
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

The man was born with a foot in his mouth.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Anyone keeping count?

UK virus-tracing app switches to Google-Apple model

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53095336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In a major U-turn, the UK is abandoning the underpinnings of its existing coronavirus-tracing app and switching to a model based on technology provided by Apple and Google.
:roll:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Anyone keeping count?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53095336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In a major U-turn, the UK is abandoning the underpinnings of its existing coronavirus-tracing app and switching to a model based on technology provided by Apple and Google.
I'm having a tough time keeping up
a worthless government and millions of lives at stake
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:Anyone keeping count?

I'm sure it will still be "WORLD BEATING" though.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

This is a real shocker in every sense isn't it?

Weeks/months wasted. A government deceiving its population. Lives lost. Economic disaster as businesses struggle to open safely.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:This is a real shocker in every sense isn't it?

Weeks/months wasted. A government deceiving its population. Lives lost. Economic disaster as businesses struggle to open safely.
It's huge news, this. The UK doesn't have a track and trace system.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Here is the German Corona app, obviously a NO NO in Brexitannia, because it's free and forrin --

https://www.coronawarn.app/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

But, but.........jEmErY cRoMbYn WoUlD hAvE bEeN EvEn WoRsE!!??!!!111!!!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Our friend MsChin just highlighted this dreadful, revealing piece on Twitter.

https://www.conservativehome.com/platfo ... right.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

johnsons-racial-inequality-inquiry-must-be-free-from-political-prejudice-here-are-my-tips-for-getting-it-right
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

The Government’s planned inquiry into inequalities is already being attacked because it looks as if it might be impartial.
Not a great start...it was being attacked because he simply turned to the head of the No 10 Policy Unit to run it and decide who should be on it.

In other news I see that Spiked columnist Joanna Williams seems to have left Policy Exchange and joined...Civitas. As Director of the Freedom, Democracy and Victimhood Project

Small world ain't it?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Our friend MsChin just highlighted this dreadful, revealing piece on Twitter.
https://www.conservativehome.com/platfo ... right.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
johnsons-racial-inequality-inquiry-must-be-free-from-political-prejudice-here-are-my-tips-for-getting-it-right
Why not Labour and anyone else who cares just boycott the bloody thing ?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I think Labour's take of "stop talking, start doing" chimes well with the public mood. The government's proposal of yet another inquiry is a large scale version of "let's spend 5 years talking about, but not actually putting, a plaque on a slaver's statue" when people are asking for it to be taken down.

If the ultimate outcome is the government toppled and consigned to the watery depths of political irrelevance, I think it would be very fitting.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:
The Government’s planned inquiry into inequalities is already being attacked because it looks as if it might be impartial.
Not a great start...it was being attacked because he simply turned to the head of the No 10 Policy Unit to run it and decide who should be on it.

In other news I see that Spiked columnist Joanna Williams seems to have left Policy Exchange and joined...Civitas. As Director of the Freedom, Democracy and Victimhood Project

Small world ain't it?
Not for the first time, quite a lot of focus on the RCP and its successor "projects" in the wake of the Mirza announcement. We really are due a really in depth investigation into what they have done and how they did it, however - Jenny Turner's piece was very good but is a decade old now.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oops.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Tom Knowles
@tkbeynon
Deeply frustrating hearing Dido Harding and Matt Hancock saying how they have always 'backed both horses' on the app, when for weeks the NHSX have been absolutely insistent they had no interest in pursing the Apple Google model. They are slightly rewriting history here.
5:39 PM · Jun 18, 2020·Twitter Web App
There's a good deal of that going on - cannot admit error or changing of minds.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:Oops.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He "relied on a contemperaneous media account" - surprise!
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Is any of this likely to be remotely relevant come 2024, do you think?

Dysfunctional 'toxic culture' led to Labour defeat, major report finds

What is relevant isn't mentioned.
In order to win the 124 additional seats it needs to form a majority government in 2024, Labour would have to increase the number of MPs it has by 60% - something that has never been achieved by any party.
The solution will be exactly the same as it would have been in 2019, and about as likely to be taken on board as it was then. An anti-tory electoral pact to bring in PR with a second election to follow.

I've never been able to figure out how you could get the SNP on board with that though, even if you could persuade Labour and the LDs to stop slinging mud at each other.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Chuckles Hancock was on fine form today I thought.

"Right let's just scoot through these charts and graphs as quickly as possible shall we? Especially that nasty one from the ONS about 3,500 new infections a day, nobody wants to see that. Ok so what's next? Ah yes the app, well you see we were actually so brilliant we were working on two apps at the same time and lying about it repeatedly, and while yes it's true our app is shit and doesn't work for exactly the reasons we were warned about months ago, what's also true is that Apple are big smelly poo heads for not rewriting their entire operating system to suite us so it's not our fault. Besides it doesn't matter anyway because despite me telling you mere weeks ago that the app was vital and needed to be on 80% of people's phones to make tracking and tracing effective it turns out I was talking bollocks. And look on the bright side, now that the app won't use a centralised database Dido Harding here can't leak all your information to hackers."
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Talking bollocks, just for a change. :roll:
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"...rebuild the bonds that link us to voters. Unless we make our politics more relational, less transactional, we will be deeply vulnerable to simplistic, populist arguments... ."

Britain rejected Labour in 2019. Let’s learn the right lessons
Ed Miliband
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Lisa Nandy's attic could do with some pictures up, maybe a bean bag, it's a bit austere for my taste.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Perhaps someone should have a word in Fiona Bruce's earpiece to point out 'Minura' isn't pronounced 'manure'.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I've no idea where that Question Time was nominally supposed to have come from but from the evidence of the virtual audience, besides one old Tory twat, it seems a decent place. No doubt the racist dicks on twitter are currently loudly disagreeing.

James Cleverly was apparently on the Moon last weekend. He's just claimed we'd never see the National Front on the streets of London these days and black people being spat on in the street is a thing of the past. On Saturday we had far right goons on the streets of London making Nazi salutes and spitting on people, and not just black people, so at least in that regard he may have a point. Nazis spitting on everyone is a truly momentous step forward in race relations.

Jed Mercurio refreshingly pointed out the government and their public health toadies have lied to us, and what's weird was how jarring it sounded to hear someone tell the truth.

Steve Parish chairman of Crystal Palace, arch Brexiter, bemoaned the lack of opportunities for black people and painted himself as some kind of champion of racial equality. Here are Crystal Palace's management staff.

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/teams/management-team/

Lisa Nandy was her usual sensible self but as I said her attic wasn't to my taste.

And poor Munira Wilson from the Lib Dems had to suffer the idignity of having her name mispronounced by Fiona Bruce throughout the programme.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Apparently the virtual audience was from Plymouth. I've never been there so others will have to verify if it's the pleasant, reasonable place the virtual audience would lead me to believe.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]jJKxxaaEJb8[/youtube]

Night night.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister