Tuesday 23rd June 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 23rd June 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 23rd June 2020

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-06-23/it- ... exity-day/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's not Freedom Day but Complexity Day
It's the New Tory Britain. :)

BTW does anyone know anything about hairdressers? My husband doesn't mind it short, so I did his with clippers but my son won't let me near his and is starting to look like an early Beatle, and not in a good way.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Willow904 wrote:https://www.itv.com/news/2020-06-23/it- ... exity-day/
BTW does anyone know anything about hairdressers? My husband doesn't mind it short, so I did his with clippers but my son won't let me near his and is starting to look like an early Beatle, and not in a good way.
Our lockdown was eased on Monday the 11th of May ( when I was extremely lucky and had a root canal job!), and had my hair cut (masks all round and she had a vizor too...) late on the Saturday .
Before all that I'd used an ordinary disposable razor to shorten my hair .
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Welcome to your new rulers: UK Commissioners Gove, Johnson and Cummings
Posted on June 21, 2020 by davidhencke
Henry VIII powers
" How you might ask? The answer is the widespread use of what are known as ” Henry VIII ” powers – or more arcanely known as statutory instruments. These are orders allowing ministers to change the law by decree – either putting down an order which Parliament has 90 minutes to debate or a negative order that if MPs don’t spot it is already law unless Parliament can overturn it.

Now what the peers have discovered is that all these bills are littered with these powers – 40 in the agriculture bill alone – giving huge discretion to introduce not only rule by decree but powers to introduce new criminal offences with unlimited fines."
An example he gives -- Waitrose labels chlorinated chicken, your new rulers make it illegal to label, fines follow !
A very brave new world .
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Opening 4 July I think. My hairdresser's already booked up for the first 3 weeks!

Not by me, I hasten to add. I reckon another couple of weeks is neither here nor there, by this stage.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Talking of which, my wife who is shielding until 31st July and therefore has no chance of getting her hair cut decided to chance it...and let me do it.

Only fair really as she does mine...

It came out not too bad considering it was a first go.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I initially assumed that was going to be about Brexit, as it could equally apply to 1 January 2021 for businesses.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

RogerOThornhill wrote: Talking of which, my wife who is shielding until 31st July and therefore has no chance of getting her hair cut decided to chance it...and let me do it.
Brave.

edit to add - both of you. The worst part of lockdown by far is cutting mr gilsey's hair.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... of-england" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Britain nearly went bust in March, says Bank of England

Surely more accurate to say " In an alternative world where there was no BoE Britain would have been insolvent " ?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Yes, that's actually what the BoE is for.

https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/202 ... d-of-them/
Last edited by gilsey on Tue 23 Jun, 2020 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Thread on appropriate methods of stimulating the economy, includes this gem.
Nick Macpherson
@nickmacpherson2
In a rational world, HMG would increase benefits for the poor who have a higher propensity to consume. But that too takes months to implement and if you increase benefits for any length ot time, it's very difficult to withdraw them. /3
:wall:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Paul Embery
@PaulEmbery
A big part of our problem is that our governing class is characterised by an innate political cowardice. Like, genuine gutlessness. It is through this cowardice that minority opinions are able to hold such sway and be inaccurately portrayed as the view of the majority.
10:42 PM · Jun 22, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
A committed leaver, Paul has just described Brexit...only ever the issue for a small but vocal minority but Cameron's cowardice in not wanting to take on the right wing of his party brought us to where we are now.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

:lol:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Paul Embery
@PaulEmbery
A big part of our problem is that our governing class is characterised by an innate political cowardice. Like, genuine gutlessness. It is through this cowardice that minority opinions are able to hold such sway and be inaccurately portrayed as the view of the majority.
10:42 PM · Jun 22, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
A committed leaver, Paul has just described Brexit...only ever the issue for a small but vocal minority but Cameron's cowardice in not wanting to take on the right wing of his party brought us to where we are now.
Let me guess.......that isn't actually what he is referring to though? :roll: ;)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:Thread on appropriate methods of stimulating the economy, includes this gem.
Nick Macpherson
@nickmacpherson2
In a rational world, HMG would increase benefits for the poor who have a higher propensity to consume. But that too takes months to implement and if you increase benefits for any length ot time, it's very difficult to withdraw them. /3
:wall:

:roll:

The social security system is an important government tool for managing the economy, especially during recession. It's part of the automatic stabilisers that are supposed to kick in when business and household spending weakens. It's literally the government's job in a downturn to step in temporarily with unemployment benefits whilst using capital investment to stimulate longer term recovery. If the government is successful at managing that longer term recovery, the benefit bill goes down naturally through reduced demand, therefore generous benefits act as a strong incentive to get that long term recovery right. The recent Tory obsession with vainly trying to reduce the deficit by minimising benefit costs through suppression of their value instead is similar to the corporate employer obsession with boosting profits by suppressing wages. Both are short term cul de sacs that ultimately shrink the economy and leave most people worse off.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Thanks for all the hairdressing responses. I'll let my son know about July 4th. I suspect he'll hold on. He's been getting the same haircut from the same hairdresser since he was about 3 and I don't think he's going to change now unless he absolutely has to.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

garyh001 50m ago

“Dying for a pint?
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Willow904 wrote:Thanks for all the hairdressing responses. I'll let my son know about July 4th. I suspect he'll hold on. He's been getting the same haircut from the same hairdresser since he was about 3 and I don't think he's going to change now unless he absolutely has to.

I let my friends cut my hair when I was a first year undergraduate. Think 'Blackadder Season 1'.
I still believe in a town called Hope
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

My mum cut my hair during lockdown, for the first time since the 1980s.

(normally have it done by my sister, who used to work as a hairdresser - but she has been out of bounds recently due to being in a higher risk group for the virus)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Local outbreaks of Covid-19 could grow undetected because the government is failing to share crucial testing data, council leaders and scientists have warned.

More than a month after being promised full details of who has caught the disease in their areas, local health chiefs are still desperately lobbying the government’s testing tsar, Dido Harding, to break the deadlock and share the data.

The situation was described by one director of public health as a “shambles”, while a scientist on the government’s own advisory committee said it was “astonishing” that public health teams were unable to access the information.

The prime minister said on Friday the country was moving from “a huge one-size-fits-all national lockdown programme to one in which we’re able to do more localised responses”, and ministers have told councils and their public health directors to take the lead.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... y-councils" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

No 10 scraps daily coronavirus press conference after today
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

They were increasingly becoming pro-government platforms anyway.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:No 10 scraps daily coronavirus press conference after today
Seems like the intention going forward isn't to try to control the virus and its impact so much as control the public's perception of the virus and their knowledge of its impact. Which is among the few things Cummings and co are actually good at, unfortunately. We can only hope the good people of the media feel more personally invested in not letting them get away with it than they were with Brexit.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

When that pipsqueak Dowden used one at the weekend to launch an - unchallenged - attack on Starmer, was when I decided they had outlived their usefulness.

Not that I disagree with what you are saying more generally.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:When that pipsqueak Dowden used one at the weekend to launch an - unchallenged - attack on Starmer, was when I decided they had outlived their usefulness.

Not that I disagree with what you are saying more generally.
Yes, it's been wrong all along, being used to announce new measures which should have been announced first in parliament, rather than as an opportunity for the press to ask questions about latest developments. Johnson answering questions in parliament today was a better format for explaining policy or at least would be with a real policy and a PM capable of explaining it.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

A Brazilian judge has ordered Jair Bolsonaro to rectify his “at best disrespectful” behaviour by wearing a face mask when circulating in the capital, Brasília......

......On Monday, a federal judge ruled Bolsonaro was not above the laws of the federal district, which contains Brazil’s capital, and would face a daily fine of 2,000 reais (about £330) if he continued to break the rules. The use of masks has been compulsory there since late April.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... 11a86b7065" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doubtless will be ignored, but nice to see, nonetheless. The current slide to authoritarianism needs to be opposed at every step, even, or perhaps especially, when it seems impossible to stop.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Bolsonaro is in a bad position now, like Trump he has so mishandled the virus that some sort of retribution (electoral or otherwise) seems very plausible.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... efing-hits" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From super-spreader Boris to Classic Dom's eyesight test: daily briefing hits

As No 10 announces Covid-19 press conferences are to end, here are some world-beating moments
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Am thinking Rapunzel.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Which for some reason segued to John Shuttleworth.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Let down your hair transmuting effortlessly to up and down like a bride’s nightie with literally no active input from me.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Sorry about that.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Let down your hair transmuting effortlessly to up and down like a bride’s nightie with literally no active input from me.
At least that's a change from a whore's drawers :clap: :clap: :clap:
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Willow904 wrote:BTW does anyone know anything about hairdressers? My husband doesn't mind it short, so I did his with clippers but my son won't let me near his and is starting to look like an early Beatle, and not in a good way.
My landlord came round today and his wife had given him a very short back and sides with trimmers but left his combover. He looked like a cross between Bobby Charlton and a cat that had been to the vets.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

" When Horatio Nelson helped to “free” the Kingdom of the Sicilies from Napoleon and restore its appalling autocratic monarchy, Neapolitan writers and intellectuals were shot and hung on Nelson’s flagship, anchored off Naples so the mob could not intervene to save them. Nelson watched some of the executions between bouts of shagging Lady Hamilton. I do not recommend toppling Nelson’s column; but I do advocate some real information about him in an education centre under the square. "

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives ... zymandias/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Worth a read.

Four Years On

https://www.historyworkshop.org.uk/four-years-brexit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Given his calls to recolonise Africa and generally dubious grasp of the past, we might wish he was less ‘affected’: Richard Evans summarised Johnson’s biography of Churchill (in which the Nazis ahistorically capture Stalingrad), as ‘“One man who made history” by another who seems just to make it up’. But Johnson is not alone in his historical affectations. ‘It is no coincidence’, declared a 2018 article in The Spectator, ‘that many of the leading Brexiteers’ have history degrees: ‘23 June 2016 was the work of the History Boys’.

That work has centred on the idea that history matters a great deal – because Britain’s history is unique and glorious, and must be ‘protected’ – but also that it doesn’t matter at all, because anything uncomfortable or dissenting can be dismissed as what Michael Gove described as ‘the trashing of our past’.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Sorry about that.
Is what Ken Worthington said after his eggs and gammon.

[youtube]GYm4rNAZ65Y[/youtube]
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:
Willow904 wrote:BTW does anyone know anything about hairdressers? My husband doesn't mind it short, so I did his with clippers but my son won't let me near his and is starting to look like an early Beatle, and not in a good way.
My landlord came round today and his wife had given him a very short back and sides with trimmers but left his combover. He looked like a cross between Bobby Charlton and a cat that had been to the vets.
Hello Sky , I did a quite adequate tidying-up just using a disposable razor . After the end of complete lockdown on the 11th May dentists back in operation with strict time-consuming hygiene, and my hairdresser masked and vizored . Naturally I was masked too.
NOW , things are slackening off quite a lot , so a certain amount of suspense !
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Poor Rhiannon.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Hello Sky , I did a quite adequate tidying-up just using a disposable razor . After the end of complete lockdown on the 11th May dentists back in operation with strict time-consuming hygiene, and my hairdresser masked and vizored . Naturally I was masked too.
I shave my head once a week so the lockdown's made no difference to my pate, but a filling in one of my front teeth fell out in April (a mad Geordie headbutted me in the face many years ago) leaving a big jagged hole which has been annoying the crap out of me ever since, so even though I absolutely hate going to the dentist I can't wait to get it fixed.

Edit: messed up the quote.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Worth a read.

Four Years On

https://www.historyworkshop.org.uk/four-years-brexit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Given his calls to recolonise Africa and generally dubious grasp of the past, we might wish he was less ‘affected’: Richard Evans summarised Johnson’s biography of Churchill (in which the Nazis ahistorically capture Stalingrad), as ‘“One man who made history” by another who seems just to make it up’. But Johnson is not alone in his historical affectations. ‘It is no coincidence’, declared a 2018 article in The Spectator, ‘that many of the leading Brexiteers’ have history degrees: ‘23 June 2016 was the work of the History Boys’.

That work has centred on the idea that history matters a great deal – because Britain’s history is unique and glorious, and must be ‘protected’ – but also that it doesn’t matter at all, because anything uncomfortable or dissenting can be dismissed as what Michael Gove described as ‘the trashing of our past’.
Very good, Antony Seldon re-confirmed as a prize pillock . When the ref result was announced I thought of Suez .
Even tho I was only ten at the time , not that long after , accounts of the divisiveness from an economics lecturer marked me .
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:
I shave my head once a week so the lockdown's made no difference to my pate, but a filling in one of my front teeth fell out in April (a mad Geordie headbutted me in the face many years ago) leaving a big jagged hole which has been annoying the crap out of me ever since, so even though I absolutely hate going to the dentist I can't wait to get it fixed.
Edit: messed up the quote.
Three days before the lockdown i had an incipient toothache, appointment for the 11th of bloody May. The week before the appointment , out of the blue it was confirmed, THEN I cracked a molar so had a root canal on the Monday, and a new tooth on Tuesday .
Magic !
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:Worth a read.

Four Years On

Countries that big up their "glorious past" tend not to have a brilliant future.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Chris Whitty, Patrick Vallance, Jenny Harries hang your heads in shame.

As medics, scientists and public servants your job was to provide impartial advice not just to the government but to the public and in that you have singularly and cravenly failed.

You've all been party to the massaging of statistics, including the removal of those that didn't suit the government. Not a single one of you had the guts to criticise an advisor who clearly flouted the lockdown rules, you've all said things that were manifestly untrue, from the availability of PPE to Taiwanese schools not closing. And now the 2 metre rule that was once set in stone has been cast aside against the advice of your colleagues for purely political and economic reasons and you have the gall to stand in front of the nation and defend the decision.

And for what? Your careers? Your reputations? You're the other cheek of this arse of a government that has seen public trust in its advice plummet for good reason. Do you think we're stupid? That we can't discern bullshit and PR spin from genuine medical and scientific fact? That we can't see the discrepancy between you standing behind a lecturn arrogantly saying there's plenty of PPE when we can watch the news and see nurses dressed in bin bags and gowns provided by public charity? That testing is available for every care home only to hear a few hours later from care home managers that what you've said is utterly untrue? For those of us who have had friends and family die your reputations are worth less than dogshit. But then as far as you're concerned we're not the ones who matter.

I expected nothing from this government at the beginning of this horrible pandemic, but I did have faith in science and medicine, as the public face of those throughout I'd like to thank you all for undermining that. I'm not naive, I realise you're all politicians in your own right, but fucking hell I didn't expect you to lie, obfuscate, cover your own arses, contradict yourselves, ignore solid evidence to the contrary, refuse to criticise for the sake of your own carrers and worst of all come to the defence of a government that has overseen 65,000 excess deaths at every fucking opportunity.

(Rant over).
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Professor Jonathan Van-Tam did show at least the shadow of a backbone. Once, I think it was, but he was quickly mothballed thereafter. I gave up watching the briefings a while back, so I don't know how much he's been around lately.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PorFavor wrote:Professor Jonathan Van-Tam did show at least the shadow of a backbone. Once, I think it was, but he was quickly mothballed thereafter. I gave up watching the briefings a while back, so I don't know how much he's been around lately.
The only thing I watch are PMQ's to see how they compare to Sparrow Crace and other odd bits in the press . I've seen Starmer actually get angry with the buffoon , far different from the 'dull and forensic' stereotype bandied around by those who are so saddened by the departure of Mr Corbyn . NN
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

PorFavor wrote:Professor Jonathan Van-Tam did show at least the shadow of a backbone. Once, I think it was, but he was quickly mothballed thereafter. I gave up watching the briefings a while back, so I don't know how much he's been around lately.
He's not been seen since. And the briefings are no more.

Let's add that to the Whitty, Vallance, Harries charge sheet.

Not standing up for their own colleagues.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]hnpILIIo9ek[/youtube]

I always thought he was a dick.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]lbIV05QUR9Y[/youtube]
PorFavor