Tuesday 7th July 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 7th July 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 7th July 2020

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

It's this kind of thing that should be put before an official inquiry. But it's "not the right time" I guess which means memories fade and people forget how bad the failings were.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

refitman wrote:Morning all.
A day off work and look at what time I'm starting the new thread :roll: :D :D
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

chloé
@urlocalchlo
if you could sacrifice one genre of music to end COVID-19, what would it be? and why country music?
6:36 PM · Jul 5, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
:lol:

I have to say that Country is one genre that I have very little of in my collection of 3,800+ - a bit of Guy Clark, Joe Ely, John Stewart and Marty Robbins Gunfighter Ballads and that's it. I do like the 1920s/30s country/folk/blues stuff though
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Adam's post last night.
If you read the whole thread she actually comes across on the libertarian wing of things - "of course businesses will be responsible,it's not the government's job to run them".

This. I found it impossible to understand why business in general kept out of the referendum campaign in the first place and failed to put their heads above the parapet afterwards.
They should have been screaming blue murder.

It's not 'libertarian', this is how international trade works outside the EU. Some small businesses perhaps didn't know, large ones don't care so much as they'll just rearrange their affairs accordingly.
Dr Anna Jerzewska
@AnnaJerzewska
At the end of the day, the responsibility always, always with the trader and there is a limit to what the Gov can and will do.
Not sure why she put that phrase in.
They don't want to do anything, that must be clear to all, no point in going on looking for rational explanations either.

The govt can, of course, overturn the whole problem by signing up for BINO even now, don't think the EU would mind.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

A bit more from that thread.
The Gov's role will be:

1 to provide information and transparency (crucial)

2 to prepare borders including systems, infrastructure, processes and procedures (crucial and behind schedule)

3 to continue to provide funding and support to develop the customs and freight forwarding sector

4 to continuously work to provide simplifications, cuts and support where possible - domestically as well as through future negotiations.
Anyone who has any faith in this govt doing any of that needs their head examined.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.
It's this kind of thing that should be put before an official inquiry. But it's "not the right time" I guess which means memories fade and people forget how bad the failings were.
Here we go ---- https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1280 ... 98881.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am an NHS GP, and when a local school rang me as duty doctor for my 10,000 patients on Monday 24 February, to complain of a number of cases of a febrile illness, having returned 48 hours earlier from a half term ski trip to the Italian Alps.... 2/
I suspected what we have come to know as Covid-19.

I declined them face to face appointments as we had no PPE, save for gloves. When central supplies did come, around a month later, they were expired “07/2016” and rebadged with a cheap sticker.... 3/
Even then, all we got were plastic pinnies & simple fluid-repellent masks to last us about a week (when the WHO was advising FFP3 masks, cuff covers, visors & gowns). Batches of the rebadged masks were revealed last week to not be safe and practices advised to destroy them. 4/
How many of us became unwell, or unwittingly passed on the virus to others? How many potentially died from that catastrophic failure to plan for the inevitable?

Even when, 20 years ago, as an undergraduate at UCL medical school, I had been taught by @DrMikeRyan (look him up) 5/
@mentions
is now WHO’s exec director of the health emergencies programme. In a prescient day’s teaching in UCH ED, he made us all wear PPE, & talked us through what we would need to do as frontline clinicians in a civilian emergency or global pandemic.ETC
Bugger yet another inquiry , just show it to a hanging judge ?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

It will never be "the right time" - too early until one day it becomes too late (and we should all "move on")
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Care home workers apologise to Boris Johnson for going on holiday instead of attending COBRA pandemic meetings

Care home workers to blame for deaths

The Prime Minister has lambasted the nation’s care home workers for their lackadaisical attitude towards COVID-19 in its early stages and for their critical failure to take crucial steps like temperature checks at airports or cancelling the Cheltenham horse races.

Simone Wilyamsoyo, a Zimbabwean nurse in Daventry who voluntarily locked herself in with her charges in late March, was one of many care home workers to tearfully admit her role in giving the UK the highest death toll in Europe by a large margin.

She told us, “I’m so sorry. I have seen so many of my patients die and was so busy trying to keep the others safe that I forgot to join a European PPE procurement scheme or to declare a complete lockdown once we saw the horrific cost of Italy’s failure to do so early enough.

“I see now that Prime Minister Johnson is right and that it is me and my colleagues who are to blame for the 30,000 care home deaths because we were the ones who could impose nationwide social distancing measures when it would have actually helped.”

Ms Wilyamsoyo assured the press she was not being sarcastic and she was delighted at Boris Johnson’s decision to place blame for care home deaths on low paid care staff who also died in large numbers.

She went on, “He has rightfully shamed us, and I can only beg forgiveness from the relatives of the 30,000 care home fatalities that I could have prevented if only I wasn’t so preoccupied with swanning drunkenly around stately homes pretending I’m Churchill.”

As a sign of gratitude, she bestowed on the prime minister a Shona title that she maintained was honorific but must have been some sort of dialect as Google Translate thinks it means “feckless murdering c*nt”.

Don’t blame me, I didn’t vote for him – get the T-shirt here!
A nice commercial opportunity there , or has someone already done it ?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

It will never be "the right time" - too early until one day it becomes too late (and we should all "move on")
yOu'rE MakInG it PoLitICal!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Anyway, our PM slagging off care homes yesterday. What galaxy brained nostrum from Cummings persuaded him that would be a good idea?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Nice example on WATO of a pub doing its own tracing operation immediately they were told a customer had tested positive .

Nothing whatsoever to do with Handcock's multimillion £ world-class system, tho he is taking credit for it . Blatant lies, again.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

BBC cutting back on regional programming/news - one area where they still do pretty well. They really do have a deathwish in so many ways.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

What?
Martin Lewis
@MartinSLewis
HMRC yesterday confirmed workers who have a Coronavirus test from employer as part of their job will see it treated as a 'benefit in kind' and thus be taxed on it (& see take home pay reduced)

Delighted to see the Treasury Select Committee are taking this up with the chancellor.
11:23 AM · Jul 7, 2020·TweetDeck
Bizarre. And fairly outrageous.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Starmer is almost spoiled for choice at PMQs tomorrow......
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

Pub manager on coronavirus news: 'We contacted every one of our customers'

A number of pubs in England have shut after customers tested positive for coronavirus.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... irus-tests

Who could possibly have imagined that this would happen?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

People want stuff to reopen and something at least a bit like "normality" to return, though. I think we are going to be firefighting like this for quite a while.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:What?
Martin Lewis
@MartinSLewis
HMRC yesterday confirmed workers who have a Coronavirus test from employer as part of their job will see it treated as a 'benefit in kind' and thus be taxed on it (& see take home pay reduced)

Delighted to see the Treasury Select Committee are taking this up with the chancellor.
11:23 AM · Jul 7, 2020·TweetDeck
Bizarre. And fairly outrageous.
I read it repeatedly
thinking I couldn't be reading it right
I was reading it right
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good afternoon, everyone.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Other Labour MPs invited Matt to recant. It wasn’t too late. Debbie Abrahams asked Hancock to apologise for suggesting that the Greater Manchester mayor, Andy Burnham, was too stupid to understand testing figures that didn’t actually exist.

Angela Eagle begged Matt just to say sorry to the care homes. It might be asking too much of Boris to do so, but surely there was enough goodness still in the health secretary for him to manage it?

For a moment, it felt as if Matt was tempted. But he doubled down on there being nothing for which the prime minister had to apologise. Weirdly, though, beneath all the weakness, I still feel there is something good in Matt. I may be a dupe, I don’t think he is beyond redemption. Boris talks of levelling up the country: what Matt needs to do is level with himself
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... defensible" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cooling but off to the beach all the same, after that Crace !
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Never a good sign to see Mark Francois trending on that Twitter...this one has him threatening the Head of the Armed Forces with Dominic Cummings.

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Heh, they must be terrified.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

GetYou wrote:Pub manager on coronavirus news: 'We contacted every one of our customers'

A number of pubs in England have shut after customers tested positive for coronavirus.

I think it takes a couple of days to get test results, so there are people out there who have symptoms, get tested, and go to the pub before they get the result?
What a cheerful thought.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Never a good sign to see Mark Francois trending on that Twitter...this one has him threatening the Head of the Armed Forces with Dominic Cummings.
Catering Corps declares war on the Royal Green Jackets ( now The Rifles)

Nail-biting stuff ! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

gilsey wrote:
GetYou wrote:Pub manager on coronavirus news: 'We contacted every one of our customers'
I think it takes a couple of days to get test results, so there are people out there who have symptoms, get tested, and go to the pub before they get the result? What a cheerful thought.
In more developed countries it can take a VERY few hours, but we need a little more timeline etc detail on the recent English pub cases ....
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:

I think it takes a couple of days to get test results, so there are people out there who have symptoms, get tested, and go to the pub before they get the result?
What a cheerful thought.
I hadn't thought of that. I didn't remember it when I read the article. I feel worn down and dull. I've got to find a hill to climb.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA