Wednesday 8th July 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wednesday 8th July 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 8th July 2020

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Good morning all, anything happening?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Good morning.

Interesting* stuff re trade agreements interacting with devolution.
A row has broken out over UK Government plans to enshrine a UK “internal market” in law after Brexit, after the Scottish Government’s Constitution Secretary has warned it would undermine devolution.
Holger Hestermeyer
@hhesterm
The problem is: you look at the competences you have, what’s devolved to Scotland, and it turns out you want to negotiate what is devolved. Either because everyone puts that stuff into a trade agreement, or because your partner is asking for it.
https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/ ... ab-2904277" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://news.gov.scot/resources/mr-lett ... arket-copy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

* possibly for those with nerdish tendencies
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Following David Starkey last week ... the spotlight is now on Andrew Roberts , another rightwing stalwart I've heard quite often on Radio4 over the years, along with such authorities as the Heritage Foundation . :roll: :roll: :roll:
In 2009, journalist Johann Hari pointed out that Roberts had in 2001 spoken at a dinner of the Springbok Club – a pro-apartheid association of expat South Africans. Roberts – who has a first class BA honours degree in Modern History from Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge – says he didn’t realise the club was a racist organisation and didn’t recall anyone saying anything racist.
The chairman of the Springbok Club is Alan Harvey – a former activist for the far-right group, the National Front. Thomas Mair, the far-right terrorist who murdered Labour MP Jo Cox in 2016, subscribed to a print magazine published by the club called SA Patriot. The organisation has the apartheid-era South African flag as an emblem.

Today’s interview with Roberts was again hosted by Reasoned UK – a new, mysteriously-funded platform fronted by Grimes. The subject of the piece is the supposed attempts by Black Lives Matters activists to “cancel” Winston Churchill.

On Britain’s colonial legacy, Roberts has also shared some controversial opinions. The London-born academic once claimed that author Caroline Elkins had committed “blood libels against Britain” for claiming that colonial forces had carried out the systematic torture and starvation of detainees in the Mau Mau detention camps of Kenya in the 1950s.

After Roberts made his comments, the Foreign Office opened up historical files on the camps, largely confirming Elkins’ account.

History is not a series of facts but now a tangled web of opinions and interpretations. And right-wing culture warriors seem determined for their interpretations to win out.
https://bylinetimes.com/2020/07/07/anot ... ture-wars/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The RW culture warriors are a poor oppressed minority, just like those other 'warriors' dressed and equipped to kill in the US ...
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Yet another 'interesting' thread on devolution.

George Peretz QC
@GeorgePeretzQC
I don’t think you need to be a political genius to see that the SNP and the current U.K. Government might have different answers to the question of whether you should change the devolution settlement or tolerate disruption to the U.K. internal market.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

gilsey wrote:Good morning.
Interesting* stuff re trade agreements interacting with devolution.
A row has broken out over UK Government plans to enshrine a UK “internal market” in law after Brexit, after the Scottish Government’s Constitution Secretary has warned it would undermine devolution.
Holger Hestermeyer
@hhesterm
The problem is: you look at the competences you have, what’s devolved to Scotland, and it turns out you want to negotiate what is devolved. Either because everyone puts that stuff into a trade agreement, or because your partner is asking for it.
* possibly for those with nerdish tendencies
Was just passed another on that subject --
The wheels quickly came off the devolution wagon when the EU withdrawal bill was published, which showed the “wholesale transfer of powers” from Brussels to Whitehall and Westminster, including policy areas traditionally devolved to Wales and Scotland. It led the Welsh and Scottish first ministers to accuse the UK government of a power grab. Subsequently the pair tabled 38 amendments to the withdrawal bill and wrote to Theresa May to insist that, while they wanted to work with the UK government, they would do so only if their suggested changes were accepted.
https://yorkshirebylines.co.uk/the-frac ... the-union/
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Had to pop over to 'er indoors place of work to drop off some output from the front room workshop and to pick up some records so she can work from home.

Yes, I noticed that the Tory conference had gone virtual this year...
Oonagh
@Okeating
·
14h
Government: All children have to go back to school in September or their parents will be fined.
Civil servant: Shall I confirm the venue for the conference?
Government: GOOD GOD, NO!
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Fear of coronavirus or fear of scrutiny from members?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Labour announced their usual autumn conference was cancelled some time ago.
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

Another day, another blatant lie. James is often simultaneously funny and annoying.

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1280827271729811456
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Noticed that Jodie Comer was trending on Twitter, wish I hadn't looked now :?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

One of those who people think it's a real shame he's not still in the party...
Alan Gibbons
@mygibbo
·
2h
“I’m a capitalist, but we need a different model for capitalism,” Chuka Umunna to the Financial Times.

Thank you, Mr Umunna.

All through our wild days, our mad existence, we never doubted it.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Not that many people outside the media, I would say.

Time for a reminder that he positioned himself as the "left candidate" when beating Steve Reed to the Streatham candidacy before the 2010 GE.

(of course the latter became an MP and remains a Labour front bencher, as we were reminded just a few days ago)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

The Labour Party
@UKLabour
Thanks for the meal deal, but we were promised a new deal.

#SummerStatement
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

So it started with Yougov asking me what I would do with a one-off payment equal to a month's income (£1,500?). Then there were rumours of a £500 per person giveaway. Which then became "vouchers" and then, finally, turned out to be half-price lunches at Wetherspoons on a Mondwy :roll:

Talk about leading people on.....
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:
The Labour Party
@UKLabour
Thanks for the meal deal, but we were promised a new deal.

#SummerStatement
Thing is, that should be their actual statement rather than the almost impenetrable block of text they tweeted beneath that.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

BTW Boris Johnson is going to deliver some kind of "Queen's Speech" type address to school leavers next Friday.
Via Youtube and Facebook (Facebook, ha! Like teenagers ever use it).
I dread to think, tbh.
Our son has already declined to tune in. I'm torn between morbid curiosity and complete disinterest.
Anyway, is this usual? Did Blair do one, or Cameron?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I see we've gone for "laughing stock" status at the WTO by nominating Liam "Easiest trade deal in history" Fox.

Which means he won't be supported by the rest of the EU.

Well done guys...
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AndyPSmith 34m ago
WHO, 6 March: "80% of infections are mild or asymptomatic."
Hancock, 22 April: “Asymptomatic transmission does occur [and is] one of the very significant challenges of the virus.”
Johnson, today 8 July at PMQs: "one thing nobody knew early on during this pandemic is that the virus was being passed on asymptomatically".
Johnson’s gaslighting is now so blatant and contemptible that he doesn’t even try to hide the fact that he’s lying. We know he’s lying. He knows we know he’s lying. We know he knows we know he’s lying.
It’s all a game to him and he doesn’t care.
I can’t listen to him and his cronies any more.
-------------------
LordBunster AndyPSmith 27m ago
... and UK Govt NSRA comparison between SARS and Covid-19, 10th February (SAGE meeting documents, 11th Feb):
“Asymptomatic transmission cannot be ruled out and transmission from mildly symptomatic individuals is likely.”
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... he-is-told" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

BUDGET — the Green Homes Grant £2bn ( TWO measly £billion , with no guarantee it would be continued ....) was the only headline one that I noticed which was a definite investment for the country’s future .

MOST of the rest of it was palliative care for chunks of the economy doomed to shrink or even disappear, stopgap stuff HOPING thjat stuff gets back to 'normal' . .
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

It was overall a bit of a damp squib, especially given some of the almost breathlessly excited briefing beforehand.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Hello, everyone.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

frog222 wrote:Following David Starkey last week ... the spotlight is now on Andrew Roberts , another rightwing stalwart I've heard quite often on Radio4 over the years, along with such authorities as the Heritage Foundation.
My favourite Andrew Roberts moment was a Question Time appearance quite a few years ago when he had a complete hissy fit much to the audience's, and my amusement. As far as I recall he began lecturing someone in the audience who'd questioned him on their manners which eventually led to the audience laughing at him, at which point he began shouting that he had a first from Cambridge so how dare they think they knew better than him which just made things worse/more hilarious. After Dimbleby calmed everything down he sat looking petulant and sullen for the rest of the programme and refused to answer any more questions.

I've no idea if he's a racist or not. All I know for sure is that he's a dick and I shall have the memory of the above to make me laugh whenever I'm reminded of him.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

A jobs retention bonus will help to wind down the scheme: businesses will be paid £1,000 to retain furloughed staff. This would cost the Treasury more than £9bn if every job furloughed is protected, Sunak says.
Sorry I've been out and am a bit behind the curve today, does anyone know if this requires businesses to retain their staff on a guaranteed number of hours? Because if I were an unscrupulous scumbag boss with desperate employees I'd be thinking, "Bwa ha ha ha, I'll slash their hours and still get my thousand quid bonus."

I mean I know the Tories find the idea of unscupulous bosses a hard one to comprehend but surely even they must have included stipulations about exactly how the staff must be retained.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Nurses who traveled from different locations across the country to work in hospitals saw the horrors of the coronavirus up close

They rushed patients to crowded intensive care units, monitored oxygen levels, and held the hands of the sickest as they died.

However, now that many of them have returned home to the southern and western states, they face a new challenge: trying to persuade their friends and family to take the virus seriously.

"I've already lost my temper a couple of times," said Olumide Peter Kolade , a 31-year-old California-born nurse who grew up in Texas and spent more than three months caring for patients in New York.

"When someone tells me they don't believe the virus is real, I take it as an insult. I take it personally ”.
https://www.elnuevodia.com/noticias/est ... un-engano/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even dumber than the average English , who are 'n' times less likely to wear masks than than the average Europeans ...
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Liz Truss warns Boris Johnson over Brexit border plans
An extraordinary cabinet row has erupted over Brexit with Liz Truss warning that Boris Johnson’s border plans risk smuggling, damage to the UK’s international reputation and could face a legal challenge from the World Trade Organization.
If only this had been completely fucking obvious to anybody with any sense at all before and during the General Election last year.

I mean, really. You'll be telling me Iain Duncan Smith resigned to protest the government's unfair benefit plans next. Or that Facebook accept that their decisions have had a bad effect on civil liberties.
Facebook’s decisions over the last nine months have resulted in “serious setbacks for civil rights,” according to the damning conclusion of a two-year-long audit commissioned by the social network to review its impact on the world.
I still believe in a town called Hope
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Meals eaten at any participating businesses, from Mondays to Wednesdays in August, will be 50% off up to a maximum discount of £10 per head for everyone, including children. Businesses will be able to register through a website launching on Monday. Firms can claim money back to have money in their bank accounts within five working days. Sunak says 1.8 million people work in the industry, whose jobs can be supported. “We can all eat out to help out,” he adds.
Right so we're being bribed into restaurants are we? Well they can fuck right off with that. I noticed in Tesco earlier they're not bothering to clean the handles of baskets or trolleys anymore. They've got a cleaning station inside the shop so you can do it yourself after you've already picked up the basket/pushed the trolley. I was one of three people I saw in the whole place wearing a face covering including the staff. If that's how it's going down in supermarkets now imagine a restaurant. Let's think of all the things you could potentially touch, let's see...chair, table top, cutlery, glass, plates, condiments, and how many people could breathe on your food and drinks...chef, bar staff, waiters. If I'm not going to sit in a pub there's no way a measly tenner off a meal bribe is going to tempt me into a restaurant.

I understand that the risks of contracting Coronavirus at the moment are low, I'm not some germophobe catastrophist, but like all of us I have elderly parents and friends who are vulnerable so it's not just me I have to think about, all of us have that horrible fear that we could infect people dear to us that this virus could kill and a half price meal just isn't worth the risk. And I say that with a heavy heart because there are some wonderful places round here that I'd love to go and eat in again tomorrow that I know are struggling to survive.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:
A jobs retention bonus will help to wind down the scheme: businesses will be paid £1,000 to retain furloughed staff. This would cost the Treasury more than £9bn if every job furloughed is protected, Sunak says.
Sorry I've been out and am a bit behind the curve today, does anyone know if this requires businesses to retain their staff on a guaranteed number of hours? Because if I were an unscrupulous scumbag boss with desperate employees I'd be thinking, "Bwa ha ha ha, I'll slash their hours and still get my thousand quid bonus."

I mean I know the Tories find the idea of unscupulous bosses a hard one to comprehend but surely even they must have included stipulations about exactly how the staff must be retained.
I haven't been able to track down any details - but the Government has, more or less, already said with reference to the furlough scheme itself it's only to be expected that there will be a bit of fiddling. It's only to be expected and can't be helped. Much like their attitude to the benefits system.

Anyway, I was too excited about the reduced cost of meals out (for a whole 13 days, according to my diary) to pay much attention to anything else.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

£15 billion is how much this government says they've spent on personal protection equipment (PPE) for frontline staff
Is that correct?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:
Right so we're being bribed into restaurants are we? Well they can fuck right off with that.
The pretence that top of the list of priorities is the health of the public, and not money, is being ditched very swiftly.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

PorFavor wrote:I haven't been able to track down any details - but the Government has, more or less, already said with reference to the furlough scheme itself it's only to be expected that there will be a bit of fiddling. It's only to be expected and can't be helped. Much like their attitude to the benefits system.
Tee hee.
Anyway, I was too excited about the reduced cost of meals out (for a whole 13 days, according to my diary) to pay much attention to anything else.
Maybe it could work if restaurants moved their tables out onto the pavement to avoid the virus, I wouldn't mind so much if I was outside enjoying my Escargots à la Bourguignonne while being harrassed by seagulls and pigeons and breathing in car fumes.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

adam wrote:[If only this had been completely fucking obvious to anybody with any sense at all before and during the General Election last year.
Imagine being in such a state of affairs that Liz Truss is having to raise the alarm and lecture her own colleagues.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

citizenJA wrote:£15 billion is how much this government says they've spent on personal protection equipment (PPE) for frontline staff
Is that correct?
From what I can see yes.

Of course you have to bear in mind that they allowed half the stockpile they already had to become out of date and functionally useless before it was tested to see if it was still fit for purpose which took weeks. All stored by an outsourced company which had been sold and was having it's own legal disputes. But that's private sector efficiency for you, probably saved every person in this country 0.00006p a year...until we had to spend 15 billion pounds on stuff that worked. Bargain.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Here's something nice.

[youtube]O8SpIVrXPFI[/youtube]
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,