Saturday 18th & Sunday 19th July 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 18th & Sunday 19th July 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 18th & Sunday 19th July 2020

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Good morning to all, anything happening?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Cornwall Council calls on government to provide £700m to replace EU funding
Council chief executive Kate Kennally says the money should be provided in a single pot so that Cornwall can decide how it should be spent over the next decade
Good luck with that.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Lost Soul
Committee Chair

Post by Lost Soul »

This :

Senior Tory accuses Johnson of blaming NHS for government's Covid-19 failings
Exclusive: Andrew Lansley says ministers made mistakes over lockdown, PPE and testing

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... 9-failings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Lost Soul on Sat 18 Jul, 2020 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning.

I went masked shopping today for the first time. Glasses steamed up a bit...

In other news I hear that someone who currently lives in Spain and thinks that England is an island is to be given a peerage. For serves to Brexit.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

And the thing about Botham is that you could make a case for him given all the charity work he has done down the years.

But no, it just had to be "cos Brexit". They really can't help themselves.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

In the US, the federal government are sending unmarked, unnatributable, armed units into American cities, against the protests of mayors and governors, to arrest people without warrant or explanation and take them away.

Am I missing something here? Where are the militia? Where are the states' rights people? Where are the libertarians, the 2nd Amendment freaks?
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

[youtube]MwfDugg26rA[/youtube]
[youtube]sW8VKEjlePk[/youtube]
[youtube]Dza75447VDc[/youtube]
I still believe in a town called Hope
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

adam wrote:In the US, the federal government are sending unmarked, unnatributable, armed units into American cities, against the protests of mayors and governors, to arrest people without warrant or explanation and take them away.

Am I missing something here? Where are the militia? Where are the states' rights people? Where are the libertarians, the 2nd Amendment freaks?
Most "libertarianism" these days is extremely selective. In the US version, guns and property rights are "sacred" and that's about it.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
adam wrote:In the US, the federal government are sending unmarked, unnatributable, armed units into American cities, against the protests of mayors and governors, to arrest people without warrant or explanation and take them away.

Most "libertarianism" these days is extremely selective. In the US version, guns and property rights are "sacred" and that's about it.
It appears to be via a loophole that "they are protecting federal property", and THEY decide that, NOT the local mayor, police. Scary video doing the rounds .
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

Bogie and Fail strike again

[youtube]TCno93gEA6s[/youtube]
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

Ooh, they've let me loose on the decks, slip something on quick before they get back!

[youtube]Wy-v-FgiUD8[/youtube]
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Another interview with the prof on BBC R4 Broadcasting house a bit after 9am this morning
"" Professor Harrison’s analysis has exposed a weakness in the national centralised testing and tracing service which was set up and awarded to private companies including Serco alongside the centralised testing in the Lighthouse Laboratories.

Tracers will call a contact 10 times, but if they don’t get through there is little else they can do. Local councils do not have patient level contact details so cannot do their own contact tracing by knocking on doors in affected areas.

Professor Harrison’s report said the success rate of contact tracing via pillar 1 of the government’s strategy, using local NHS and Public Health England labs, was 100 per cent.

Promoting local resources, he said: “We can mobilise a local solution by asking our neighbourhood teams to pick up the contact tracing at local level where local knowledge would increase the success of tracing of these contacts. We feel we would be able to do this both faster and more comprehensively and with more cultural insight.” ""
Knocking on doors, as they do in the rest of the world !!!!

BUT, where is the opportunity for "world class AI and super-forecasting" ? DomCummings outflanked ?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/heal ... 26381.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS The prof added that they had only had postcode details from the 29th of June , so they could at last knock on doors . (Stooge arguments about data protection etc don't apply to typhoid, cholera etc ...)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

It would appear that someone is getting a little bit worried about what is in the Russia report...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Carole Cadwalladr
@carolecadwalla
Oh. My. God.

Not content with suing me & the Electoral Commission, Arron Banks has now attempted a legal challenge against parliament’s intelligence committee over publication of the #RussiaReport. Worried much
@arron_banks
?!?
:popcorn:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I've never thought there would be all that much to it, but if Banks is that worried......
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

ROT --- good thread too !
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

It seems that cJA was last present here on Tuesday - anybody been in contact with them?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:It seems that cJA was last present here on Tuesday - anybody been in contact with them?
I received an electronic missive earlier today and hope it's not breaking a confidence to say CJA was sounding a bit stressed.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Oh that's a shame, given what the absence of AH (and, back in the day, Lady Centauria) portended one can't help wondering about these things.

I hope she feels better - and able to contribute on here again - soon.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I hope she feels better - and able to contribute on here again - soon.
Indeed. One of the problems of being so isolated during this pandemic is it becomes easy to narrow your focus and forget just how difficult others are finding it.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I'm off to do a bit of 'wild camping' this week and this kind of thing infuriates me.

‘It was like a bomb had hit an off-licence’: rise in wild camping hits beauty spots.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... auty-spots

That isn't wild camping. The whole ethos is to leave a place as if you'd never been there. I feel guilty if I've left some crushed grass. What the above represents is drunken dickheads in shitty pop up tents fly tipping in a National park, and if as is said they were doing it on a site of special scientific interest I'd happily flay them alive and hang their twitching bloody remains from the trees.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Donald Trump v Fox News Sunday: extraordinary moments from a wild interview

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -interview
The same Fox News poll showed that when asked if Biden and Trump had the mental soundness to serve as president, 47% of respondents said Biden did and 43% said Trump did.

More were certain Trump did not (51%) than Biden (39%).

Trump, 74, responded by asking that Biden, 77, immediately take a cognitive test. The president said last week that he “aced” an unspecified test. It is assumed he is referring to a cognitive assessment from 2018. Wallace, 72, said he had also taken the test, after seeing the president had.

“It’s not the hardest test,” he said. “They have a picture and it says ‘What’s that’ and it’s an elephant.”
I've actually watched the interview and to be fair to Trump he did say there were 5 harder questions than being able to recognise an elephant. The hardest according to Wallace was counting backwards from 100 subtracting 7 each time. A skill according to Blackadder the ape creatures of the Indus have mastered.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Has anyone seen the comet?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]pJh9OLlXenM[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]LWz0JC7afNQ[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Comet, Astronomy, moon...

Why do I work these dives for peanuts when if some unfortunate thing hadn't happened to me I could have seen my name in lights?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

These lights?
Lights are the lungs of game or livestock as used in cooking and butchery. Although technically offal, lights are rarely used in English-speaking culinary traditions, with the exception of the Scottish national dish haggis.

In Malaysia, slices of beef lights (paru, literally "lung" in Malay) are coated in flour and turmeric powder, deep-fried, and sold in packets at street markets. These are a very popular snack eaten with chilli sauce and a dash of vinegar.

Bopis (bópiz in Spanish) is a piquant Philippine dish of pork or beef lungs and heart sautéed in tomatoes, chilies and onions. (Wikipedia)
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

What the? No. Proper lights.

That emit photons not offal.

What the hell were you thinking?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I was just covering all bases in case there was any speaking at cross-purposes. I like to be thorough.

Edited to add -

And they are proper lights. Just a different kind of proper lights.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]j8ZKanEoVqM[/youtube]

'Our collective imagination could die away': Stewart Lee and Shirley Collins in conversation.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/ ... earts-ease
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:I hope she feels better - and able to contribute on here again - soon.
Indeed. One of the problems of being so isolated during this pandemic is it becomes easy to narrow your focus and forget just how difficult others are finding it.
Here!
Washi tape creations don't just make themselves, you know. It's delicate work requiring dust-free work spaces. I make a clean spot and that's hours spent swabbing down the whole area.
You all are wonderful. No need to go anywhere else for news. Thank you for your posts.
Love Nancy Sinatra and her boots.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Night night.
Goodnight, PorFavor.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:Has anyone seen the comet?
Not yet. Look low on the horizon facing North
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Yikes. Look at the time.
Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA