Wednesday 22 July 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Wednesday 22 July 2020

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 22 July 2020

Post by citizenJA »

A C Grayling
@acgrayling
The squatters in Downing St are the core of an illegitimate government. We have as a country quite literally been purchased by a foreign power to be asset-stripped & dismantled. Is there any uglier a word that applies to the in-house enablers of this than 'traitor'?
7:13 am · 22 Jul 2020
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I like his choice of words
gave me a little righteous thrill
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Wake up, Constance.
We need beverages, please.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"the idea that lockdown as a date is wrong because what matters epidemiologically is the behaviour of people....you saw that people were going about their business less and less."
Matt Hancock
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

citizenJA wrote:Good morning, everyone.
My Gosh Citizen, you're late to bed ! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Morning all - I hope all is well in House of Nest. Am struggling to contribute at the moment as essentially every day I get up, go to my desk, work, close my laptop, go for a walk, seethe about people ignoring distancing rule and then read or watch the telly. Am usually utterly convinced anything I do is sufficiently fascinating to report to your patient selves, but even I’m bored of myself at the moment. Combined with ongoing light news aversion this means I have little to offer. Though I remain optimistic about the scientific progress if that helps.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

citizenJA wrote:
A C Grayling
@acgrayling
The squatters in Downing St are the core of an illegitimate government. We have as a country quite literally been purchased by a foreign power to be asset-stripped & dismantled. Is there any uglier a word that applies to the in-house enablers of this than 'traitor'?
7:13 am · 22 Jul 2020
I like his choice of words
gave me a little righteous thrill
07.50 The TOADY journalist's intro to the interview with Ld Rickets
” UK is floating on a sea of Russian money “ True dat, details below--
Like the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) Committee report on disinformation and fake news last year, the ISC recommends a British equivalent to the US Foreign Agent Registration (FARA) Act, to flush out potential intermediaries working on behalf of foreign powers. But it concedes that this would only be “damage limitation” because the infusion of dirty Russian money into British life is already so toxic and vast.

The report states:

“A large private security industry has developed in the UK to service the needs of the Russian elite, in which British companies protect the oligarchs and their families, seek kompromat on competitors, and on occasion help launder money through offshore shell companies and fabricate ‘due diligence’ reports, while lawyers provide litigation support.”

Most of the domestic wealth of Russia is held overseas by a handful of oligarchs close to Vladimir Putin. As the money laundering capital of the world, London has been the main recipient of this dark money stolen from the Russian people.

Just two known cases – the Moldovan Laundromat scheme and the Deutsche Bank ‘mirror trades’ scam – saw £20 billion poured into the UK through shell companies and LLPs in the past decade alone, effectively corrupting large swathes of the service industries which process them and, of course, buying undue political influence.

The Missing Brexit Threat Assessment
It has taken Parliament more than 14 years to recognise the true nature of the Russian President’s regime.

With the KGB-trained Putin now ensconced for life, conducting wars in Ukraine and Syria, and funding far-right parties across Europe to destabilise any institutions that can challenge his interests, this is – as the report makes clear in its remarks on MI5, MI6 and GCHQ – a deadly oversight.

The lethal nature of the threat from the Kremlin should have been obvious with the assassination of Alexander Livtinenko in 2006 (( Links to Buzzfeed on the 14 unusual accidents/suicides of opponents of Putin ....))
https://bylinetimes.com/2020/07/21/the- ... d94983b4bd
Of course Boris (the Russian ;) ;) ;) )Johnson does not take his daily instructions from Moscow Central, but he is as much of an 'asset' as though he did . Look at the success rate , parts also played by the rest of the billionaire establishment, in undermining an already very sick English society ?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all. This is worth a read.

Are Dominic Cummings' visions anything more than just policy tourism?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... rism-darpa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A mix of policy tourism and schematic imaginings, blended with an ignorance of unintended consequences, simply will not do. Someone must take up the reins, and make it explicable, legible, full of a more realistic sense of choice and readjustment. Make it, above all, political.

Johnson is a gifted frontman, but the extent to which he understands his cribsheet is questionable. If he can’t double and redouble his efforts, the renewed white heat of this technological revolution may quickly look as dated as the hovercraft, the Concorde, the mainframe and the Polytechnic.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

And for sheer brass neck, there's this.

Scottish Conservatives
@ScotTories
This report suggests the SNP has questions to answer in relation to Russian interference.

It’s now essential the SNP orders an inquiry on the matter.
:D
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

House of Nest
I love it!
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Labour pays out six-figure sum and apologises in antisemitism row

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... mitism-row" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Labour party has apologised “unreservedly” and paid out a six-figure sum to seven former employees and a veteran BBC journalist, admitting it defamed them in the aftermath of a Panorama investigation into its handling of antisemitism.

The settlement and formal apologies to both the reporter, John Ware, and the ex-employees, which have been read in open court, is believed to have cost the Labour party between £600,000 and £750,000, with about £200,000 in damages agreed for the eight individuals.
Bad for the money that could be better spent elsewhere but good that it's sorted out quickly. Time to move on.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

The Libel Capital of The World strikes again !
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Bad for the money that could be better spent elsewhere but good that it's sorted out quickly. Time to move on.
I don't suppose they had any choice but if Hodge likes it..... :sick:

Steve Howell
@FromSteveHowell
Keir Starmer just threw the Labour party into an even deeper mess. By issuing an apology to former staff who appeared in the #Panorama programme, he is pre-judging the Forde inquiry into the serious issues revealed in the #leakedreport in which at least one of them is implicated.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

The two things are not actually the same?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Morning all - I hope all is well in House of Nest. Am struggling to contribute at the moment as essentially every day I get up, go to my desk, work, close my laptop, go for a walk, seethe about people ignoring distancing rule and then read or watch the telly. Am usually utterly convinced anything I do is sufficiently fascinating to report to your patient selves, but even I’m bored of myself at the moment. Combined with ongoing light news aversion this means I have little to offer. Though I remain optimistic about the scientific progress if that helps.
I hiss like a cat
people move away
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

tinyclanger2 wrote:Though I remain optimistic about the scientific progress if that helps
Yes, that remains a cause for optimism. At a time when we certainly need some.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

What Russia report?

I know it's just coincidence but still...
I still believe in a town called Hope
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Labour pays out six-figure sum and apologises in antisemitism row

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... mitism-row" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Labour party has apologised “unreservedly” and paid out a six-figure sum to seven former employees and a veteran BBC journalist, admitting it defamed them in the aftermath of a Panorama investigation into its handling of antisemitism.

The settlement and formal apologies to both the reporter, John Ware, and the ex-employees, which have been read in open court, is believed to have cost the Labour party between £600,000 and £750,000, with about £200,000 in damages agreed for the eight individuals.
so who 'defamed' them in the party, what was the 'defamation' and should those people who did that be thrown out of the party for defamation?

Personally, I think it was a disgraceful piece of journalism and that it would have seen those accusations tested in court rather than settled like this for political ends

Labour is a racist party - but not necessarily for the reasons that have been at the forefront of accusations recently. Is it a safe environment for BAME people now? I would suggest not

Oh, and well done for forcing the Russian Report off the front pages - now can go back to slagging off Corbyn and a bit of anti-Semitism - no wonder Johnson and the Tories still have a 10 point lead in the polls
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:Though I remain optimistic about the scientific progress if that helps
Yes, that remains a cause for optimism. At a time when we certainly need some.
there is very little scientific about most of the discussions in the media......it is has become anti-science from both sides and is now almost pretty much all political.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Not disagreeing about how bad the media is!
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Not disagreeing about how bad the media is!
it is not just the media though
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

The media is key to so much else, however.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:The media is key to so much else, however.
yes you are right!
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Interesting to see on twitter the number of media centrists tweeting examples refuting Johnson's claims about Starmer

Don't remember them doing th same with lies about Corbyn - in fact they were the ones often making the false accusations

How is Labour 10% behind and actually performing worse than over much of the last Parliament with such ready support from these hugely influential (in their own minds) journalists?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

'Should be 20% ahead in the polls'

These 'journalists' are supporting Starmer, not Labour.
They don't see it as the same thing, neither do many of the public if you go by the polls. One of Starmer's challenges is to change that.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

gilsey wrote:'Should be 20% ahead in the polls'

These 'journalists' are supporting Starmer, not Labour.
They don't see it as the same thing, neither do many of the public if you go by the polls. One of Starmer's challenges is to change that.
nowt as strange as folk
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Wasn't it just last week that commentators, and us here, were saying Johnson had reached a new low at PMQs?
Plumbing new depths is the only thing he's good at.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Yes, I just read Sparrow's summing up of PMQs.

Oh dear...lies and weak jokes are all the PM has it seems - so nothing's changed then. T'was ever thus.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:The two things are not actually the same?
Didn't they both have the same objective, ie burying Corbyn in shit?

Happy to be corrected.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

CP20/12: Consultation on delay to the implementation of the European Single Electronic Format

We set out proposed rule changes to postpone by 1 year the mandatory European Single Electronic Format (ESEF) requirements for annual financial reporting under the Transparency Directive (TD).

https://www.fca.org.uk/publications/con ... nic-format" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
from the Financial Conduct Authority
How big a deal is this?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

howsillyofme1 wrote:Interesting to see on twitter the number of media centrists tweeting examples refuting Johnson's claims about Starmer

Don't remember them doing th same with lies about Corbyn - in fact they were the ones often making the false accusations

How is Labour 10% behind and actually performing worse than over much of the last Parliament with such ready support from these hugely influential (in their own minds) journalists?
Short, light hearted answer - people like the effectively free money that Dishi Rishi has handed out.

Longer, more sober answer - the ordure many of these very same people heaped upon Labour for five full years was never likely to be fully expunged in a matter of months, and they should have realised this if they weren't caught up in their own centrist fantasy world. Some of us did try to warn them, though.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:

Happy to be corrected.
I think AK was responding to this. I agree with AK. Howell is disingenuous.
Steve Howell
@FromSteveHowell
Keir Starmer just threw the Labour party into an even deeper mess. By issuing an apology to former staff who appeared in the #Panorama programme, he is pre-judging the Forde inquiry into the serious issues revealed in the #leakedreport in which at least one of them is implicated.
10:50 am · 22 Jul 2020
Starmer's apology to a former Labour staff member doesn't mean Starmer pre-judged anything.
If I've misunderstood, please let me know.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Yes, the party's own statement said it wasn't pre-judging anything else by its apology over this.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

citizenJA wrote:
gilsey wrote:

Happy to be corrected.
I think AK was responding to this. I agree with AK. Howell is disingenuous.
Steve Howell
@FromSteveHowell
10:50 am · 22 Jul 2020
Starmer's apology to a former Labour staff member doesn't mean Starmer pre-judged anything.
If I've misunderstood, please let me know.

It goes right to the heart of some of those who appeared in the leaked report and whose testimony and claims seem to have not met the standards of truth that I think the BBC would expect

https://novaramedia.com/2020/07/22/bbc- ... -response/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Whistleblowers must be protected but ion the proviso they are actually telling the complete story - it wasn't as if they tried to stay anonymous.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Yes, the party's own statement said it wasn't pre-judging anything else by its apology over this.
I don't believe them, sorry

How can you give a pay out to a 'whistleblower' for an account of the story that is significantly undermined with documentary evidence?

Surely to settle a defamation action out of court (and apparently against legal advice) is a strange decision and needs more explanation to those of use whose money was used to pay for it - it is my money given to the party in good faith not Starmer's!

Edited to add

citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Yes, I just read Sparrow's summing up of PMQs.

Oh dear...lies and weak jokes are all the PM has it seems - so nothing's changed then. T'was ever thus.
I agree with Sparrow's verdict but it's ultimately a real weak analysis, in my opinion. I'm having a hell of time following Mr. Sparrow's convoluted storyline. The PM of the UK floundering in front of us all is shocking. Sparrow's lengthy write-up was genuine news to me. I'm not in Sparrow's position, he may know things I don't but he's not convinced me his analysis is anything more than guess work and trying to fit a nutter into a leadership role he didn't get on merit and possibly without legitimacy. It seems to me Sparrow is trying to make a sane man, a sane government, out of Johnson's Tory party. It's not a sane government. Leadership is compromised and the country's democratic processes are too. Ending with some polling horseshit as an arbiter of constitutionality is laughable given the deliberate misinformation evidenced. Christ, if Russia won, can we at least try some UK-style communism, where everyone queues for the daily shop without unmerited privileges for a few. I think we could improve on that soviet shit. I've gotten a bit wound up. I feel better having written it.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Yes, the party's own statement said it wasn't pre-judging anything else by its apology over this.
I don't believe them, sorry

How can you give a pay out to a 'whistleblower' for an account of the story that is significantly undermined with documentary evidence?

Surely to settle a defamation action out of court (and apparently against legal advice) is a strange decision and needs more explanation to those of use whose money was used to pay for it - it is my money given to the party in good faith not Starmer's!

Edited to add

(cJA bold)
Happens all the time.

My example isn't an exact one, it's not the same but compromising is reality, it's part of the human condition. Castro compromised with the US in order to make the lives of most Cubans a far better one for themselves and their children. He's an example, in my opinion, of a ruthless, violent and successful leader protecting most people and country. He conceded a great deal, he compromised and he got to live and so did lots of regular Cuban people.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

howsillyofme1 wrote:---
It goes right to the heart of some of those who appeared in the leaked report and whose testimony and claims seem to have not met the standards of truth that I think the BBC would expect

https://novaramedia.com/2020/07/22/bbc- ... -response/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Whistleblowers must be protected but ion the proviso they are actually telling the complete story - it wasn't as if they tried to stay anonymous.
(cJA edit)

You know the truth about it. We know the program contained inaccurate information. Sometimes that's as good a success as we'll get at a given time. I don't know if this specific example is good enough, if it's the best success we'll get at the moment. Exposing lies and working for justice is a process. It can take too long, lives get messed up and I'm not arguing that's okay, I'm saying the examples of human history and current events teach me a lot is wrong and we can only do our collective best making it right.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:Interesting to see on twitter the number of media centrists tweeting examples refuting Johnson's claims about Starmer

Short, light hearted answer - people like the effectively free money that Dishi Rishi has handed out.

Longer, more sober answer - the ordure many of these very same people heaped upon Labour for five full years was never likely to be fully expunged in a matter of months, and they should have realised this if they weren't caught up in their own centrist fantasy world. Some of us did try to warn them, though.
I'm a checkers player, not chess. Never move the back pieces until those are the only pieces that can move forward then move them and win. That's my strategy. If people want better than a Tory government they're going to have to be realistic, responsible, cooperate and sometimes compromise. Tories have no end of money going into keeping people with everything in common arguing with each other and not standing together when it'll mean everyone is better off by doing so.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

UK politics live news: Corbyn criticises Labour's decision to settle antisemitism libel case
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... ws-updates" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank christ the most important news people got to know is in the headlines. Tories handing the UK over to Russia, almost a 1,000 people dead in the UK in the last two weeks due to COVID19, no effective, coordinated COVID19 testing and tracing system and people ordered back to the office because there's petrol not getting burned. Methane sinks leaking into the atmosphere in Antarctica. That's an egg falling off the table.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Test and trace failing to contact thousands in England's worst-hit areas

The government’s flagship test-and-trace system is failing to contact thousands of people in areas with the highest infection rates in England, raising further questions about the £10bn programme described by Boris Johnson as “world-beating”.

Local leaders and directors of public health are demanding more control over the tracing operation amid concerns that their ability to contain the virus is being put at risk.

Data obtained by the Guardian shows that in areas with the highest infection rates in England, the proportion of close contacts of infected people being reached is far below 80%, the level the government’s scientific advisers say is required for test and trace to be effective.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Hmm...interesting.

AFinch
Backbencher

Post by AFinch »

Hi,

Just had to drop in again.

Russia Report and Labour Paying Off the "Whistle blowers"

[youtube]RaqNEHuTf7Q[/youtube]

Straight to the Labour Party section: https://youtu.be/RaqNEHuTf7Q?t=2392