Saturday 25th & Sunday 26th July 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 25th & Sunday 26th July 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 25th & Sunday 26th July 2020

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Good morning all, anything interesting happening?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Overcast in Normandy, 20°, but the wind is cold !

Considering going into shielding hibernation and living off iron rations ...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Well thank heavens somebody posted, where are all the other regulars?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Well thank heavens somebody posted, where are all the other regulars?
Here!
:rock:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good afternoon, everyone.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Afternoon.

Shopping and then watching the test Match is my excuse.

You know you're getting old when you see the name peter Green trending on that twitter and you know immediately who it is and why it's trending...but not have a clue as to who Wiley is.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Afternoon.

You know you're getting old when you see the name peter Green trending on that twitter and you know immediately who it is and why it's trending...but not have a clue as to who Wiley is.
It's nice(!) too see LordJohnMann finally doing some work as the 'anti-semitism' tsar, by....attacking Jeremy Corbyn :toss: :toss: :toss:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Yes, I saw that and thought "Huh?"

Some people really are too obsessed with Corbyn...need to let go people, he isn't leader any longer...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh and Rachel Riley...

:roll:
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

refitman wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Afternoon.
It's nice(!) too see LordJohnMann finally doing some work as the 'anti-semitism' tsar, by....attacking Jeremy Corbyn :toss: :toss: :toss:
One of the few bits of politix I caught on the radio earlier . He gives the impression of being very very thick ? I already knew he was thoroughly unpleasant !
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:Yes, I saw that and thought "Huh?"

Some people really are too obsessed with Corbyn...need to let go people, he isn't leader any longer...
Says it all that some of his fiercest critics find that as hard as a section of his committed supporters.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Leon Theremin playing the ... theremin

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These talks are good value, very more-ish, and like krikit take one's mind off current nastiness !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0008jds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RFID Things That Made the Modern Economy,Series 2
At the beginning of the Cold War, musical inventor Leon Theremin managed to bug the US embassy in Moscow. The ingenious device he used is a predecessor of a humble technology that surrounds us every day: the Radio-Frequency Identification tag. Tim Harford asks if RFID is introducing an ‘internet of things’. Or are its glory days behind it?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Lewis Goodall
@lewis_goodall
BREAKING: We have a new contender for the "you couldn't write this stuff" stakes

Transport Sec Grant Shapps is on holiday in Spain. He will, therefore, have to quarantine for 14 days when he gets home.
9:24 PM · Jul 25, 2020·Twitter Web App
:D
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Paul
@PaulOnBooks
Rachel Riley, John Mann and Katie Hopkins trending in quick succession - has there been an explosion in a sewage plant?
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

gilsey wrote:Paul
@PaulOnBooks
Rachel Riley, John Mann and Katie Hopkins trending in quick succession - has there been an explosion in a sewage plant?
Riley attacked Jedward, of all people :roll:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

It's a lovely morning.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

citizenJA wrote:It's a lovely morning.
Blue sky! 19, a 'fresh' breeze, even one con trail... and now have to find out who Jedward is (are-- I see) ! All I rather vaguely know about RR is that she's some sort of witchfinder on our least favourite campaign. After checking BylineTimes on Whittingdale and a very real Enemy Within https://bylinetimes.com/2020/07/24/swee ... ttingdale/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; will go to check up on Oborne and Jonathan Cook on the latest ME badnews ...
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

At the far end of any moral and intellectual spectrum from the UK's witchfinders --
"" But the liberal Zionist condition was precisely one of willful blindness. It shut its eyes tight and saw no evil, even as Israel debased Palestinian life there for more than half a century. Looking back, Beinart recognises his own self-inflicted credulousness. “In practice, Israel annexed the West Bank long ago,” he writes in the New York Times.

In his two articles, Beinart denies liberal Jews the one path still available to them to rationalise Palestinian oppression. He argues that those determined to support a Jewish state, whatever it does, are projecting their own unresolved, post-Holocaust fears onto Palestinians.

In the Zionist imagination, according to Beinart, Palestinians have been reinvented as heirs to the Nazis. As a result, most Jews have been manipulated into framing Israel’s settler-colonialism in zero-sum terms – as a life-or-death battle. In that way, they have been able to excuse Israel’s perpetual abuse of Palestinians.

Or as Beinart puts it: “Through a historical sleight of hand that turns Palestinians into Nazis, fear of annihilation has come to define what it means to be an authentic Jew.” He adds that “Jewish trauma”, not Palestinian behaviour, has ended in “the depiction of Palestinians as compulsive Jew-haters”.
https://www.jonathan-cook.net/2020-07-1 ... one-state/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm looking forward to RR and Mann attacking the NYT ...
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Nathan Ruser
@Nrg8000
In the current international system (using levers built by the Global North and quickly being encouraged by the Global South) there is NO legitimate avenue for non-state actors to express anger, and there is only legitimate violent responses to it from state actors.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

frog222 wrote:
Blue sky! 19, a 'fresh' breeze, even one con trail... and now have to find out who Jedward is (are-- I see) ! All I rather vaguely know about RR is that she's some sort of witchfinder on our least favourite campaign. After checking BylineTimes on Whittingdale and a very real Enemy Within https://bylinetimes.com/2020/07/24/swee ... ttingdale/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; will go to check up on Oborne and Jonathan Cook on the latest ME badnews ...
You have been blessed not knowing.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

frog222 wrote:
Jedward were a 'talent' act on a TV show. Rather rubbish and annoying at the time. They have turned into rather amazing people, doing lots of actual good work with charities.

The Riley tweet: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Jedward reply: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Carole returns to the attack --
If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it is a duck. Britain has a national security problem. And his name is Boris Johnson.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... s-in-no-10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

refitman wrote:
frog222 wrote:
Jedward were a 'talent' act on a TV show. Rather rubbish and annoying at the time. They have turned into rather amazing people, doing lots of actual good work with charities.
The Riley tweet: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Jedward reply: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nice to hear!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
Bribery: the one thing our leaders have made a success of
David Mitchell
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... success-of
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

frog222 wrote:Carole returns to the attack --
If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it is a duck. Britain has a national security problem. And his name is Boris Johnson.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... s-in-no-10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shame about her involvement in that distinctly shady Integrity Initiative thing.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The Tories are struggling to find a way to make Keir Starmer look bad
Andrew Rawnsley
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... r-look-bad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm glad.
I'd like a Labour government sooner rather than later.
I'll read the rest of his article now.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"Donald Trump has said he has “no responsibility” for the coronavirus pandemic, fobbing it off on governors and mayors whose repeated requests for federal help he’s denied. Yet he’s now sending federal troops into cities he says are controlled by the “radical left”, whose mayors and governors don’t want them there.
---
Trump has never offered a national strategy for testing, contact tracing and isolating those who have the disease. He has provided no standards for reopening the economy, no plan for national purchasing of critical materials, no definitive policy for helping the unemployed, no clear message about what people and businesses should do. He rushed to reopen without adequate safeguards."
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... n-protests" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
from Robert Reich
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

It's worth reading the entire Reich article
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The Pandemic Response That Wasn't
Preparedness policies require a long view—but politicians tend to think short-term.
https://magazine.jhsph.edu/2020/pandemi ... that-wasnt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"With unemployment estimated at 20% a result of COVID-19, Pollack Porter says that a solid policy response to this secondary crisis will be key to helping the U.S. recover from the pandemic. This pandemic has illustrated vast systemic failures, including an underfunded public health system, lack of safety for frontline workers, and the absence of social policies like paid sick leave."
in Hopkins Bloomberg Public Health
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Department of Health and Social Care
@DHSCgovuk
40s
Our COVID-19 statistics website has been updated.
View the full UK dataset online:
Rightwards arrow
https://bit.ly/2D5Mw2W
Data on deaths has been temporarily paused while an urgent review into @PHE_UK
data is carried out.

(cJA bold)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

On 17 July, the Secretary of State asked Public Health England (PHE) to urgently review the way daily death statistics are currently reported.
We’re pausing the publication of the daily figure while this review takes place.
Daily
Cumulative
Deaths in all settings
not available
not available
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... the-public" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Raab's looking alarmingly pale
deep shadows under his eyes
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The Guardian view on a wealth tax: necessary but not sufficient
As in the novels of Jane Austen, social mobility in Britain today appears dependent on the wealth you inherit or marry in to, rather than how much you can set aside from a pay packet
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... sufficient" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Land value tax
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Household income inequality, UK: financial year ending 2020 (provisional)
Provisional estimates of income inequality in the UK for the financial year ending 2020.
Release date:
22 July 2020
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... rovisional" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ONS report came out four days ago.
The S80/S20 ratio highlights that the richest fifth of people had a share of income that was over six times that for the poorest fifth in both FYE 2019 and FYE 2020. The income of the person at the 90th percentile was over four times the income of the person at the 10th percentile, while the Palma ratio highlights that the richest 10% of people accounted for a greater share of income than the poorest 40%.

These measures of inequality remain largely unchanged from the previous year.
measures been unchanged since 1066
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Hallo, ninety-four guests!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Biden's path to the White House could hit a dead end on Facebook
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... n-facebook" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I earnestly entreat Republicans and Facebook not to engage in ill-advised, warped machinations.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Ten posts in a row - that's almost Hindle-esque.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Another one?

citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Ten posts in a row - that's almost Hindle-esque.
Listen to Wild Cherry & dance
:dance:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Come out of mourning, Constance
Dance
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Olivia de Havilland
is gone
she was 104 years old
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"...Born in Tokyo and raised in California..."
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/j ... ies-at-104" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
right on
I sensed a kinship
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm a great admirer of Zoe Williams's writing.
I thought you should know.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

citizenJA wrote:
The Guardian view on a wealth tax: necessary but not sufficient
As in the novels of Jane Austen, social mobility in Britain today appears dependent on the wealth you inherit or marry in to, rather than how much you can set aside from a pay packet
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... sufficient" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Land value tax
Conclusion --
The economist Thomas Piketty estimated that half of all UK private wealth is inherited rather than earned. A wealth tax is necessary but not sufficient. The political priority is to help working people build up savings. To level up Britain, there will have to be higher wages from labour and also policies that lead, in the words of John Maynard Keynes, to the (metaphorical) “euthanasia of the rentier” so that the intelligence, skill and determination of the entrepreneur can be “harnessed to the service of the community on reasonable terms of reward”.
Similar the exponential growth of Covid if left unchecked, the proportion of income going to workers has been shrinking for c30 years , leading to so much precarity and outright poverty ...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I've been watching a DVD of an old TV series from the early 70s.
Doomwatch is a British science fiction television programme produced by the BBC, which ran on BBC1 between 1970 and 1972.[1] The series was set in the then present day, and dealt with a scientific government agency led by Doctor Spencer Quist (played by John Paul), responsible for investigating and combating various ecological and technological dangers.
So...that's the new Joint Bio-security Centre, right?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:I've been watching a DVD of an old TV series from the early 70s.
Doomwatch is a British science fiction television programme produced by the BBC, which ran on BBC1 between 1970 and 1972.[1] The series was set in the then present day, and dealt with a scientific government agency led by Doctor Spencer Quist (played by John Paul), responsible for investigating and combating various ecological and technological dangers.
So...that's the new Joint Bio-security Centre, right?
Some bright spark will be patentng the 'wheel' next :) :) :) :) :)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... ocial-care" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Over-40s in UK to pay more tax under plans to fix social care crisis
The article mentions schemes in Germany and Japan, both of which I'm sure have merit, but I can't help but feel the UK urgently needs to do something about the following (admittedly a couple of years old but still the case, I believd) before it heaps yet more demands on the shrinking purchasing power of a middle-aged generation that has continually been expected to pay for things like higher education and disproportionate housing costs out of lower relative wages against a backdrop of declining social security & increasing retirement age. We once afforded basic necessities for all out of general taxation. When the economy 'recovered' from the global financial crash, why didn't our ability to provide services and social care recover to a similar level? A reasonable question, I suggest.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 76736.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pensioner household incomes higher than those of working age, study finds
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good post, Willow.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I love you all very much.